DALLAS versus KNOTS LANDING versus the rest of them week by week

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
14 Apr 14: DALLAS: Where There's Smoke v. 05 Oct 16: EMPIRE: What Remains is Bestial v. 25 Jan 19: DYNASTY: The Sight of You

During the series finale of FALCON CREST, Richard Channing rented three Cary Grant movies. In a 1990 episode of DALLAS, April described Cary Grant as “the greatest-looking man that ever lived.” Greg Sumner once said on KNOTS LANDING that Charles Scott “makes Pee Wee Herman look like Cary Grant.” And now, in the mid-season finale of New DALLAS's third season, Soap Land’s most referenced cultural figure finally appears onscreen. Alone at Southfork and intent on drinking herself into oblivion, Sue Ellen ignores the movie playing on TV, Hitchcock’s 'North by Northwest' starring Grant and Eva Marie Saint (the same film Danny Waleska once cited as an inspiration while attempting to drive Gary Ewing off a cliff).

From Cary to Carey. EMPIRE has been chockfull of pop culture references since it began: phone calls to Barack Obama, framed snapshots of Lucious with the likes of Oprah Winfrey and Tina Turner, cameo appearances by everyone from Al Sharpton to Snoop Dogg. Portraits of black music legends like Jimi Hendrix, Sammy Davis Jr and Mariah Carey adorn Empire’s office walls. This week, one of those legends — Mariah herself — steps off the wall and into the recording studio to sing a duet with Jamal. Confusingly, she does not appear as her pop diva self, but as another pop diva named Kitty. Kitty is super-talented, super-glamorous and super-nice in much the same way as the pop diva played by Alicia Keys was last season. Given that Carey’s own persona is so much more dazzling than Kitty’s, she seems kind of wasted in such a generic role.

While Carys Grant and Mariah are cultural references made Soap Land flesh and blood, Jerry Jones, real-life owner of the Dallas Cowboys football team, travels in the opposite direction. Having already cameoed as himself in ‘War of the Ewings’ and a couple of episodes of New DALLAS (he even attended JR’s memorial service), he receives a passing namecheck on this week's DYNASTY where Blake is in the process of putting together his own football team. “Jerry Jones paid $150,000,000 for the Cowboys — they’re worth $5 billion now,” he says. “Are you comparing yourself to Jerry Jones?” Culhane asks him.

The strange but irresistible paradox at the heart of DALLAS has always been that it’s about a multi-generational family of billionaires living all together in a house that’s too small for them. Just as he did at the start of this season, John Ross challenges this incongruity when, as a surprise for Pamela, he invites a pair of architects to the ranch to discuss expanding their living quarters. Bobby’s objection is pure soap opera: “Exactly what part of ‘I will not let you destroy Southfork’ did you not understand?!” he snarls at his nephew, who responds with real-world common sense: “I just wanna build a proper master suite for my new bride cos, in case you hadn’t noticed, we’re sleeping in JR’s bedroom.”

Pamela, meanwhile, awakens from her night’s slumber to find a note from her lovin’ husband, inviting her to follow the trail of rose petals that lead from their bedroom to the outside of the house where “your morning surprise” awaits. She complies and is just feet away from John Ross — close enough to hear him talking about their idyllic new love nest with the architects — when disaster strikes, as it inevitably must in Soap Land whenever a character flies too close to the sun. Casually glancing down at her phone, she sees the “Now go home and kiss your wife” video of Emma and John Ross Nicolas sent her at the end of last week’s episode. Cue the opening credits.

After John Ross has left for the day none the wiser, Sue Ellen notices a puddle of water coming from under Pamela’s bathroom door. While the suicidal implication of this turns out to be a red herring — Pamela is found sitting in a daze next to an overflowing bathtub — it nonetheless foreshadows what will happen later in the episode. After talking to Sue Ellen and Ann, Pamela realises they’ve known about John Ross and Emma’s affair all along and is furious that they’ve kept it a secret. She’s not the only one. “We’re supposed to be partners, Annie!” Bobby yells at his wife. “What is it that’s so hardwired in you that you keep the most important events in your life secret from your husband? … I want Emma out of my house!”

Since it began at the end of last season, John Ross and Emma’s affair has impacted almost all the show’s major characters — Harris and Judith, Elena and Nicolas, Sue Ellen, and now, as we speed towards the mid-season finale, even Bobby and Ann’s marriage. Shaken by Bobby's anger, Ann turns to her ex-husband for support and, in true soap opera fashion, they end up kissing as if they were Maggie and Richard in the final moments of FALCON CREST Season 4 — only instead of a bomb going off, they are spied on by an incandescent Judith, which is possibly even more dangerous.

Judith also finds time for a sizzling whorehouse confrontation with John Ross. “We have a problem, Harris,” she informs her son after John Ross has gone. “One of the Dalmatians get loose?” Harris quips. I’m not sure if this is a reference to hookers in dog costumes or Cruella de Ville, but Cruella is an apt reference point for Judith’s striking appearance this week. In keeping with the ep's overall vibe of upside-down, nightmarish sexuality, her deathly white face is decorated with a gash of blood-red lipstick and framed by sexily tousled blonde hair. She looks glamorously grotesque. Or maybe grotesquely glamorous. One of the two.

Despite Sue Ellen and Ann’s assurances that their affair is over, Pamela tracks John Ross and Emma to a hotel and walks in to find them kissing on the bed. A familiar enough Soap Land scenario, but instead of being devastated and tearful as, say, Sue Ellen was when she found JR and Holly Harwood together, she remains eerily calm. Instead, it’s Emma and John Ross who are shocked to see her. After John Ross springs to his feet, Pamela’s hand reaches into her pocket. “Don’t do anything you’re gonna regret,” he says nervously. Then she looks at Emma, clocks her emerald corset — the same one they both wore earlier in the season — and smiles. “Love what you’re wearing,” she tells her. Then she turns back at John Ross and removes her coat to reveal an identical corset. “May I join you?” she asks them both. John Ross looks confused — as well he might.

This is the inverse of the scenario JR was confronted by in 1983 when, after he raped Holly in his office, she lured him to her bedroom with the promise of more sex. When he touched her, she pulled a gun on him. In both scenes, the viewer’s expectations, and those of the male character involved, are toyed with and then overturned. When JR found Holly reclining provocatively on a bed in her negligee, champagne chilling in an ice bucket, he anticipated a seduction — instead, he got a gun in his face. When Pamela reaches into her coat, John Ross fears she’s going to produce a gun — instead, she offers him something very different. In each instance, the woman plays the man at his own game, using his appetites and instincts to blindside him.

While John Ross remains rooted to the spot, Pamela kneels on the bed and beckons Emma to join her. They start kissing and Emma gets into it. John Ross doesn’t know what to do — it’s like a dream and a nightmare coming true at the same time: the woman he cherishes lowering herself to the level of a sex object, a fantasy. His wife and mistress both turn to look at him and it's like a challenge — how can he back out now? He hesitates and then, finally, takes off his shirt and joins them on the bed as the music starts: ‘Break on Through (To the Other Side)' by the Doors. Musical montages are pretty much a weekly occurrence in C21st Soap Land, but I think you’d have to travel back as far as Danny Waleska running Pat Williams down to the strains of ’You Are So Beautiful’ by Joe Cocker to find one as effective as this. After Jim Morrison starts to sing and John Ross kisses Pamela and Emma in turn, we cut to another bedroom scene where Nicolas is about to break on through the other side of Elena’s contraceptive device, having pricked some holes in it in an earlier scene. “We chased our pleasures here, dug our treasures there,” croons Jim as Bo McCabe (whom we’ve already been warned is “coming for everyone at Southfork”) lights up a joint as he drives towards the ranch house where Sue Ellen is staggering from room to room in search of more booze (“She get high! She get high!” screams Jim). Bo pulls up, Sue Ellen passes out and a curtain goes up in flames. Meanwhile, Emma and Pamela smother John Ross’s torso in kisses, the three of them unconsciously mimicking the snapshot Harris took of John Ross with two underage two hookers on the morning of his wedding — only instead of fending them off, John Ross is lost in bacchanalian pleasure. Then Pamela gasps, but not in pleasure. She’s having some sort of seizure. John Ross and Emma look on in panic. Again, there’s a parallel between the situation we’re seeing and the song we’re hearing — or more specifically, the man singing it — Jim Morrison, the impossibly beautiful symbol of everything sensual and Dionysian about the ‘60s till the turn of the decade when he suddenly ended up fat, bloated and dead of an overdose in a Parisian bathtub. “Oh yeah!” he cries orgasmically, tauntingly, mockingly, on the soundtrack as Southfork blazes out of control.

According to Oscar Wilde, “Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.” In C21st Soap Land, that goes double for oral sex: Fallon showing us who’s boss by having Culhane go down on her in the very first scene of New DYNASTY, Emma doing the same by ordering John Ross to “go home and kiss your wife” on New DALLAS, and this week, two scenes between the recent EMPIRE newlyweds. First, Anika knocks on the door of Lucious’s study asking if they can talk. He invites her in and she finds him sitting behind his desk, absorbed by computer screens monitoring the rate of subscriptions to his streaming service. “The board has determined that if I don’t get to 10,000,000 subscribers by Thursday, they’re gonna pull the plug which means I lose $50,000,000,” he informs her, but she has concerns of her own. “I’m like a prisoner in this house with nothing to look forward to,” she complains, before hinting that she’d like her old A&R job back at Empire. He turns her down flat: “You know that is never gonna happen, so you need to just —“ He breaks off abruptly and winces, as if in pain. “Oh my God, you need me to call a doctor?” she asks anxiously. Then a girl emerges from under the desk, mumbling something about a lost earring, and Anika realises what’s being going on the whole time they’ve been talking. “Pia, you remember your old boss Anika?” asks Lucious, then laughs. It’s his “go home and kiss your wife” moment.

“What are you doing in my office?” he asks later in the ep when he walks in and finds Anika sitting behind his desk. She is the one now fixated by the computer display which shows that XStream is only a couple of dozen away from its target number of ten million subscribers. “Almost — a little higher,” she urges. As it reaches 10,000,000, she lets out an orgasmic-sized, “Yes, yes, yes!” “… You sound more excited than me,” Lucious observes. “I am, Lucious. Oh, I am,” she assures him — and then up pops the head of a previously seen delivery boy. “He was just looking for my earring,” she explains. Lucious casually pulls out a gun. The boy flees and it’s Anika’s turn to laugh. “I only wanted to remind you that when you push me, I push back harder,” she says — which is kind of what Pamela was doing when she overdosed in bed with John Ross and Emma: reminding them that actions have consequences. “Then I’ll remind you that you are my wife in my house,” Lucious replies, “and the only men that are gonna be touching you in here is gonna be the coroner when he carries your dead ass body away after my crazy ass mama kills you.” “No … that’s not how this is gonna go, Lucious,” Anika replies. From here on in, they continue to argue over which of them has the upper hand. “See, I married you to save YOUR ass … I am not the one who needs this marriage,” she insists. “You married me because you always wanted to be Mrs Lucious Lyon,” he tells her. “Not anymore,” she replies. “I am here in this Haunted House of Horrors because I knew that if I did cooperate with Tariq, my baby would grow up without a mother.” “… And now you’re cornered.” “And so are you.” “… I’m gonna do what I want when I want or we both go down in flames. I like to call it mutually assured destruction.” Going down in flames … mutually assured destruction … These words chime with the twin cliffhangers at the end of DALLAS.

For DALLAS’s Drew Ramos and EMPIRE’s Freda Gatz, atonement for their crimes (blowing up the Ewing babies and shooting Jamal respectively) remain tantalisingly, frustratingly and poignantly just out of reach. Hoping to come to terms with what happened to him, Jamal finally visits Freda at the Soap Land Penitentiary, but just as Drew’s return to Dallas triggered traumatic flashbacks for Christopher last week so the same thing happens here. When Freda puts out her (chained) hands to him in a gesture of welcome, Jamal flashes back to her raising the gun to shoot him and backs away nervously. Unlike Christopher, however, he wants to make peace. “I hate seeing you like this,” he says. But when she tells him she’s surprised he’s stopped making music — “The Jamal Lyon I know is a beast in the studio” — his anger resurfaces: “The Jamal Lyon that you know went missing when you shot him.” “Jamal, I didn’t mean to hurt you.” “Yeah, but you did … I’m ruined and that’s your fault — you’re the one that did it!” He calls for the guards and they drag her away.

Back on DALLAS, Nicolas finds the missing Drew hiding in the back of his car. “All the bad decisions I’ve made are a result of what JR did to my father,” Drew tells him. By this point, we know for sure that Nicolas cannot be trusted, yet the advice he gives in this scene is in Drew’s best interests — but, tragically, Drew is too far gone to hear him. “Listen to me,” Nicolas pleads. “Elena and I have put in place an intricate plan that will take everything from the Ewings. Be patient. Go back to Mexico … and let us set you and your family free.” “The Ewings killed my father, our father,” Drew insists, “as surely as if they’d put a gun in his hand and pulled the trigger … Come with me to avenge our father. Avenge the man who raised you, Joaquin.” “No,” Nicolas replies. “You’re being irrational, Drew, like you’ve always been irrational since Enrique died.” If Nicolas won’t help him, then Drew “will do it alone.” He bolts out of the car and runs; Nicolas tries to follow him but is momentarily trapped by his seat belt (a great little moment) and loses him. Reluctantly, he calls Luis, the Mendez-Ochoa boss man and spells out the situation: “Drew Ramos is out for blood against the Ewings. If he reaches them and tells them anything, our plan will be ruined … It is the Ewing deal that puts the cartel much closer to overthrowing the Mexican government … Put every man you have in Dallas out finding Drew Ramos now!”

Following Andre’s assault and arrest by the police at the end of last week’s EMPIRE, his storyline continually flips between the real world and soap, and between the (black) hood and the (white) justice system. He leaves the police station after being released on bail to find a crowd of reporters and fans waiting for him. “Don’t go all Black Lives Matter on me here, okay?” urges his (white) lawyer, but the goading of reporters (“Your mother and father have a chequered history with law enforcement — are you just following in their criminal footsteps?”) prompts him to respond politically: “What’s happening to me is what’s happening all across America, right now.” “And what’s that?” shouts a voice in the crowd. He looks over and sees Rhonda’s ghost. “None of this would have happened if I was still here,” she tells him. Later, he tells his parents that he blames himself for how he handled the situation that led to his arrest. “Nothing you could have done different — you were born black,” Lucious replies, assuring him that he will set Thirsty on the cops who assaulted him. “With the FBI watching our every move, the last thing we need is Thirsty taking care of anything … I just wanna do this the right way,” Andre insists. Cookie is incredulous: “You do realise you’re a black man, Andre? And this was a dirty cop that did that to your face? … We’re gonna fight fire with fire!” “Enough!” Andre shouts. “I’m a Wharton graduate, Mama. I’m a CFO of a publicly-traded corporation. I’m not gonna fight fire with fire!” In the event, despite his brothers showing up in court to lend moral support and his lawyer’s assurances that the whole thing will be dismissed, he is charged with criminal trespassing, aggravated assault and assault against a police officer, and a trial date is set.

This leads to a brilliantly fascinating sequence where Lucious pulls up outside the courthouse in a large black van with the most incredibly luxurious interior — it’s like a private jet — to takes his sons on a trip through “our old neighbourhood. This is where we grew up.” The view from their tinted windows is so bleak, Hakeem can’t believe it. “We ain’t never lived here,” he insists. “I did everything I could to shield y’all from this,” Lucious tells them. “After your mama went away, I got us up and outta here as fast as humanly possible. But I coddled y’all, let y’all breathe rarified air and live behind giant gates and drive in limos. Biggest mistake of my life cos it made y’all soft.” (This speech runs parallel to one Bobby delivers on this week’s DALLAS: “Southfork is my home. I was born in this house and I will protect it and every person in it with my life!”) “The whole time I thought the problem was that you were bipolar and you were gay and you were just spoiled,” Lucious continues, addressing each of his sons in turn, “but now I realise y’all don’t know you’re black.” An angry Andre demands to be let out of the van. “When you step outside this high wall of privilege that I’ve built around you,” Lucious warns him, “your name might as well be Trayvon or Philando or Freddie.” [Three real-life black men killed by the police in recent years to whom Lucious refers almost as casually as Blake Carrington does Jerry Jones.] “And the fault lies in me because I didn’t prepare you … You better get woke and quick, because you are one moment away from becoming a hashtag, and I don’t care how many white wives or white lawyers you get.” At this, Andre explodes: “OPEN THIS DOOR! OPEN IT! You DARE talk about my wife after what happened? I don’t know what it’s like to be a black man in America?! I know what it’s like to be a Lyon and I’d rather be in jail — hell, I’d rather be dead — than end up like you!”

While systemic racism is the underlying cause of what is happening to Andre, the cause underlying the underlying cause is far soapier: familial revenge. “You’re behind this — some twisted way of getting back at my father,” Andre realises when his Uncle Tariq approaches him in the final scene of the ep. “You think you can get me to inform on my father in exchange for dropping some charges? … That ain’t gonna happen.” “You are your father’s son after all,” Tariq observes. (So, after insisting he’d rather be dead than end up like his daddy, Andre is told by his uncle that he is his father’s son — it’s John Ross and JR all over again.) “We shall see,” Tariq continues. “It doesn’t take much to put the screws on a black man once he’s part of the system and you ain’t no ordinary black man. You’re a Lyon — prize game.”

A seam of ‘60s pop music runs through this week’s Soap Land. As well as the Doors on DALLAS and a portrait of Jimi Hendrix on Cookie’s wall, there’s a karaoke scene on DYNASTY where all the female characters — minus Alexis, but including Sam (who, as a gay man, apparently qualifies as an honorary woman) — get up and “spontaneously” perform ‘These Boots are Made for Walking’ for our apparent pleasure. As hatefully indulgent musical numbers go, it’s up there with Val and Karen’s ‘I’m Henry VIII I Am’ in 'Back to the Cul-de-sac', only there isn’t quite the same sense of betrayal in this case as one doesn’t expect any better from this group of narcissistic cunts.

The best moment of DYNASTY come near the end of the ep when Liam delivers a line from the original series — “There was a time when I thought I couldn't live without you; now I can't stand the sight of you” — to New Fallon with even more contempt than ‘80s Jeff did to Pamela Sue Martin back in the day.

And the Top 3 are ...

1 (1) DALLAS
2 (2) EMPIRE
3 (3) DYNASTY

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Then we hear the sound of a baby crying in another room. “Oh my God, Lucious,” Anika pleads, “I need help — I cannot do this by myself!”
Hilarious!
Back on EMPIRE, Jamal has a similarly visceral reminder of a recent traumatic event.
I recently watched Hakeem being plagued by his post-kidnap trauma with shaky cam flashbacks and stuttering sound effects.
This doesn’t represent a character’s memory; it’s simply there to remind the audience of who Hunter is, like a “previously on Dallas” style recap in the middle of a scene. Maybe it shouldn’t work, but such is the increasingly non-linear nature of television drama that one doesn’t even question it.
If it's silly then at least it's not sillier than cramming a lot of reminder-info into an unnatural sounding sentence.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recently watched Hakeem being plagued by his post-kidnap trauma with shaky cam flashbacks and stuttering sound effects.
You're watching fast -- you'll be overtaking me soon!
at least it's not sillier than cramming a lot of reminder-info into an unnatural sounding sentence.
Yeah, it's more efficient, and I guess viewers are sophisticated enough these days not to need it disguised in a clunky piece of exposition. (I still quite like a bit of clunky exposition now and again, though.)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
“Exactly what part of ‘I will not let you destroy Southfork’ did you not understand?!” he snarls at his nephew
I love the clash of old and new soap, and I enjoyed reliving the excitement of this fantastic Dallas episode.
but Cruella is an apt reference point for Judith’s striking appearance this week
I can't believe I failed to see the connection. Or did I....now I'm not sure anymore.
After Jim Morrison starts to sing and John Ross kisses Pamela and Emma in turn, we cut to another bedroom scene where Nicolas is about to break on through the other side of Elena’s contraceptive device, having pricked some holes in it in an earlier scene. “We chased our pleasures here, dug our treasures there,” croons Jim as Bo McCabe (whom we’ve already been warned is “coming for everyone at Southfork”) lights up a joint as he drives towards the ranch house where Sue Ellen is staggering from room to room in search of more booze (“She get high! She get high!” screams Jim).
And then there's the ranch all covered in light bulbs which adds to the atmospheric, Fargo-esque tackiness. Kinda like Dallas in Las Vegas.

Speaking of music and sex scenes, Lucious and Mimi (such a great character) want to celebrate their merger with Swift/Sky/SomethingStream, and there's something so indifferent and consumerish about the way they look at the Hot Babe on the bed. The music is a like a synth-y 1980s porn soundtrack even though the sex isn't going to happen. A tattoo on the girl's inner thigh triggers another Young Lucious flashback which serves as an inspiration for the missing piece in the Lucious/Freda duet. More interesting is the way Mimi rejects Hot Babe, so equally soulless and miserable to the initial set up for the trio sex.
It's a relatively short scene and like I said it's mostly about what it does for Lucious and the song, but everything around that looks poignantly kinky.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And then there's the ranch all covered in light bulbs which adds to the atmospheric, Fargo-esque tackiness. Kinda like Dallas in Las Vegas.
I love it -- it's like Christmas all year round!
Speaking of music and sex scenes, Lucious and Mimi (such a great character) want to celebrate their merger with Swift/Sky/SomethingStream, and there's something so indifferent and consumerish about the way they look at the Hot Babe on the bed. The music is a like a synth-y 1980s porn soundtrack even though the sex isn't going to happen. A tattoo on the girl's inner thigh triggers another Young Lucious flashback which serves as an inspiration for the missing piece in the Lucious/Freda duet. More interesting is the way Mimi rejects Hot Babe, so equally soulless and miserable to the initial set up for the trio sex.
It's a relatively short scene and like I said it's mostly about what it does for Lucious and the song, but everything around that looks poignantly kinky.
Yeah, that was a very memorable, grubby little scene. This is what I wrote about it at the time:
Lucious and Mimi celebrate their streaming deal with Jago by getting wasted and picking up a girl, April, in a club. They agree to share her and all wind up at Lucious’s place. This is the first ménage à trois we’ve come across in this thread — although, chronologically, John Ross, Pamela and Emma’s disastrous night together occurred two years before this one. While no-one ends up in a coma on this occasion, things nonetheless get very messy. The sexy fun is interrupted when Mimi gets a phone call, presumably from her girlfriend, that causes her to sob till her make up runs. Then the tattoo of a gun on April’s inner thigh triggers (no pun intended) yet another grim childhood flashback for Lucious, this time of his mother putting a revolver to her head. “Y’all might wanna get started without me. I’m gonna be a while,” he tells the ladies before rushing to his ensuite recording studio and finally giving the song he’s been working on all the emotion and urgency it needs. It’s a very watchable sequence and I get why it’s so important to Lucious; I’m just quite not sure why it’s supposed to matter to us. I mean, writing a song, however good, isn’t exactly blackmailing your wife into keeping quiet about an epidemic or blowing up your pregnant daughter.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m just quite not sure why it’s supposed to matter to us. I mean, writing a song, however good, isn’t exactly blackmailing your wife into keeping quiet about an epidemic or blowing up your pregnant daughter.
For what it's worth, the sound of the rolling cilinder really added something special to the bang bang bang bang song, but sometimes it takes a little effort to buy into the importance of it all.
I appreciate their consistent devotion to the artistic part of the story but, personally speaking, I'm more of a boardroom-shenanigans-guy.

Cookie isn't the Big Artist but she knows a lot about music and I like those little scenes when she helps Jamal or Hakeem with their songs, "change this, change that".
It's almost as if those moments are her most motherly scenes. She doesn't do it for gratitude or personal gain.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
18 Aug 14: DALLAS: Denial, Anger, Acceptance v. 12 Oct 16: EMPIRE: Cupid Kills v. 01 Feb 19: DYNASTY: Filthy Games

There’s a brilliant collision of storylines at Soap Land Memorial Hospital at the start of DALLAS’s midseason premiere, just as there was the start of ‘80s DYNASTY’s third season when Cecil’s heart attack coincided with Blake’s tumble down a mountainside. Bobby and Christopher, waiting anxiously for news of Sue Ellen’s condition following the fire at Southfork, are shocked to see an unconscious Pamela wheeled in on a gurney, closely followed by John Ross. “They said she overdosed. What happened?” Christopher asks him. John Ross looks at his smoke-stained cousin and uncle in confusion. “Wait, what are you two doing here?” he asks. Instead of answering, Bobby pushes him against a wall. “You are responsible for this … Because of your cheating, she could die!” he shouts. Then a doctor appears: “I’m looking for Sue Ellen Ewing’s family …” “What’s going on? What happened to my mother?” John Ross demands to know. ”While you were out destroying your marriage, there was a fire at Southfork. She was inside,” Christopher snarls.

Now that everyone’s on the same page, it’s time to address the two whodunnits posed by this mid-season premiere: “Who set Southfork on fire?” and “Who sent Pamela that video?” Even though we already know the answer to the second, there’s something very satisfying about Bobby immediately jumping to the wrong conclusion. “It wasn’t enough that you betrayed Pamela, you have to send her some sick video to prove it!?” he yells at Emma as she too appears on the scene.

Although John Ross believes Emma’s protestations of innocence — “Why would I send a video of us making love to Pamela?” — it’s not enough to save their relationship. “We never made love,” he tells her coldly. “We screwed … The first rule of cheating is when the wife finds out, it’s done. From now on, you and I are strangers.” If it wasn’t Emma who sent the video, then it must have been “that son of a bitch Ryland,” he decides. In a deleted scene, Emma takes this allegation and runs with it, angrily accusing her father of sending the video to break up her and John Ross. Harris denies the accusation, but thrillingly refers to John Ross as “that little shit.” “How do you know it was Ryland?” Elena asks John Ross. “Who the hell else would do something like that?” he replies. Elena knows exactly who the hell else would do something like that. “You sent that video, you son of a bitch!” she yells at Nicolas over the phone.

Emma may not have sent the video but as far as Ann is concerned, her affair with John Ross is still to blame for Pamela’s overdose. Her defence is almost exactly the same as JR’s when his mother blamed him for Pamela’s father’s overdose thirty-two years earlier. “Cliff is in the hospital because of Cliff. I didn't shove those pills down his throat,” JR said then. “I didn’t force John Ross to sleep with me and I didn’t force those pills down Pamela’s throat,” Emma says now. Disgusted, Ann sends her back to live with the Rylands where, heartbroken after being dumped by John Ross, she receives some twisted counsel from Grandma: “The ability to feel pain is a gift. Feel that hurt. Nurture that hurt. Feed that hurt till it’s powerful enough to take vengeance on those that have wronged you.” Here, Judith is singing from the same hymn sheet as KNOTS LANDING’s Diana following her husband Chip’s untimely death thirty years earlier. “I don’t want it to stop hurting, ever,” she told her Aunt Abby back in 1983, “because if it stops hurting I might forget and forgive and I don’t wanna forget and I hope I never forgive … As long as I’m in pain I won’t forgive anybody who did anything to let this happen … I cherish the pain.”

Drew, meanwhile, is being held by the Mendez-Ochoa cartel, as per Nicolas’s request. Even though he continues to talk passionately about taking revenge on the Ewings (“I will destroy them and they will know whose hands created that destruction”), he is pretty much a dead man walking at this point. Nicolas again tries to explain that he and Elena already have a scheme in place to take over Ewing Global (“If you go after them again, you’ll destroy our plan before it is complete”), but Drew isn’t impressed: “Taking their money means nothing. They’ll just make more.” Eventually, Nicolas admits that he personally needs the plan to go through so that he can pay back the cartel the hundreds of millions of dollars he lost them. “Does my sister know this?” asks Drew quietly. “Of course not. If she found out you were using her, using her pain over our father’s death, just to pay a debt to drug dealers, she would despise you.” This is one more reason why Nicolas needs Drew to die: Elena must never find out his real motives for helping her. Finally, Drew says what they’ve both been thinking: “Let’s not lie to each other, mi Hermano. We both know I was dead the moment you brought me here.” His calm acceptance of his fate is chilling.

The brutal execution that follows is closer in tone to 24 than ‘80s Soap Land yet there is a weird streak of tenderness running alongside the cruelty. “Give your father my love,” says Nicolas after tearing the St Christopher medal from Drew’s neck. It’s hard to tell if he’s being ironic or sincere. “With what I’ve done, I’m going to Hell,” Drew replies matter-of-factly. “I’ll save you a seat.” Nicolas makes the sign of the cross and kisses St Christopher (for the benefit of Drew’s soul or his own?), before giving the nod for one of the cartel henchman to shoot Drew in the head. After the trigger is pulled, tears well in Nicolas’s eyes.

Following Jamal’s freak-out when he saw Freda at the Soap Land Penitentiary in last week’s EMPIRE, he tries to visit her again, but this time brings along Philip, the leader of his PTSD self-help group, to help with his breathing when he gets anxious. Meanwhile, John Ross is prohibited by hospital staff from visiting Pamela for most of this week’s DALLAS because she’s on suicide watch. When he eventually does get to see her, she laughs at the suggestion that she was suicidal. “If I’d wanted to kill myself, I would not have driven over to your hotel room to do it,” she tells him. “I did what I did so that every time you think about screwing that piece of trash, all you’ll be able to see is me on the floor with my eyes rolled back in my head. Sexy, huh?” About as sexy as Jamal seeing Freda’s sweet little face all battered and swollen from a beating. “Who did that to you?” he asks. “Let’s just say you’ve got some really, really big fans in here,” she replies through split lips. Like Drew, she seems resigned to her punishment. “It’s all good,” she insists. “I belong here for what I did to you.” “You can’t stay here,” Jamal argues. “I’m gonna fix this.”

On the advice of Angelo Dubois, his mom’s potential new love interest who, usefully, is also a lawyer, Jamal recruits a doctor to testify at an emergency bail hearing that Freda has “a history of psychological problems” and that her shooting of him occurred during “an episode of intense temporary paranoia” caused by “alcohol in combination with prescription drugs.” For good measure, Jamal adds that Empire is also responsible for Freda’s situation because it gave her money and success, but not the tools to deal with them. The judge is persuaded and she is granted bail.

Then comes an outrageous twist that would feel phoney on New DYNASTY, but which EMPIRE just about gets away with because it’s still, ultimately, rooted in the characters’ relationships. “She would have been killed,” Jamal says when his father congratulates him on getting Freda out of prison. “I know,” Lucious replies with a chuckle. “That’s why I had her ass beat in there. I mean, Freda was down for it. She knew that was the only way she was ever gonna get out …” “So you’re saying that Freda played me the whole time?” asks Jamal, stunned. “What I was most proud of,” continues Lucious smugly, “was the fact that you paid off that doctor to make reports for that judge because now, no matter what she ever says in a court of law, it’ll never be credible, so that nonsense about me having something to do with whatever happened with her father — but the beauty of it is, I didn’t have to tell you to do it … It was like it was second nature to you, like a Lyon. How’d it feel to know you’re just like your daddy?” Last week, it was Andre who was dismayed to be told he was just like his father, now it’s Jamal. Needless to say, we’re once again in John Ross/JR territory.

This week’s DALLAS is that most unthinkable of things — an episode in which JR’s name is not mentioned or even referred to. However, in a scene where Bobby is lecturing his penitent nephew as they stand in the ruins of Southfork, he could just as easily be talking to his big brother during one of JR’s periodic bouts of remorse back in the ‘80s. “I know sleeping with Emma was wrong, but I did it anyway,” John Ross admits. “I just kept telling myself it was business, that it really didn’t mean anything.” “That’s what you do, John Ross,” Bobby replies. “You justify and then you ignore all the destruction you leave in your wake … You say you wanna be a better person, that you didn’t mean to betray the people you love and you feel so bad for doing it. Well, words are cheap. You are what you do. You want to be a better man? Be one.”

Following their respective conversations with Lucious and Bobby, Jamal and John Ross each seek reassurance about themselves from a third party. “Do you think I’m a good person?” Jamal asks Philip, the PTSD guy whom he’s known for all of three scenes. “Am I even capable of loving someone or am I just some kind of a sociopath that’s so broken inside that I can’t ever be fixed?” John Ross asks Elena who, as he says, knows “me better than anybody.” Each receives a noncommittal but optimistic response. “I’m not in a position to judge,” Philip tells Jamal, “but I know that you’ve got work left to do if you wanna get over your PTSD.” “I think we all do things we regret,” says Elena, clearly reflecting on her own recent actions as much as John Ross’s, “but every day is another chance to do the right thing. You just have to find the strength to do it.”

Although JR isn’t mentioned in the finished episode, he does receive a shout out in a deleted scene when Judith, who alas is on her way to Europe to sort out a problem with her Parisian brothel (“Apparently the French prostitutes are being rude to the customers”), warns Harris and Emma to be on their guard against the Ewings. “JR Ewing may be dead, but his plan to destroy us is alive and well,” she reminds them. Before leaving, she finds time in her busy schedule to split up Bobby and Ann by maliciously revealing what she witnessed from her window during the previous episode: “Ann’s make out session with Harris looked like a real toe-curler from where I stood.” Back in the ‘80s, the separation of a Soap Land super-couple (Chase and Maggie, Blake and Krystle, Pam and Bobby, Karen and Mack) was invariably instigated by the wife, who would poignantly inform her man that she’d taken a suite at the Soap Land Hotel because “I need some time to think.” Here, however, it’s all Bobby’s idea. “When I used to look at you,” he tells Ann, “all I could think of was how lucky I was to have you in my life and now I wonder what secrets you’re keeping from me … I don’t wanna live like that.” He explains his intention to stay at Southfork during the rebuilding of the house. “Are you kicking me out?” Ann asks in surprise. After thirty-one years, Bobby finally gets to deliver the same line that Pam did when she walked out on him: “I need some time to figure things out.” The chilliness between Bobby and Ann is matched by the temperature of the burnt-out room they’re standing in: it’s so cold, you can see their breath.

Whereas it was the discovery that she wasn’t (solely) responsible for the car crash that paralysed Mickey Trotter that gave Sue Ellen the resolve to stop drinking in 1983, it’s the mistaken belief that she is responsible for the fire at Southfork that gives her the strength to quit (following a near relapse with a bottle of aftershave) in 2014. “I am an alcoholic and I will be until I die,” she emotionally admits to Bobby, Ann and Christopher. (Just don’t tell she’s to blame for the broken back Bo McCabe sustained while trying to rescue her or we’ll be back to square one.) Over on EMPIRE, it looks like Jamal’s addiction is just getting started. “You don’t wanna be mixing those,” advises Philip, when he sees him about to wash down his medication with alcohol. Jamal pretends to heed this advice but then waits till he’s alone before knocking them back.

Such is the unpredictability of EMPIRE that the two juiciest stories in last week’s episode — Andre’s assault charge and Lucious and Anika’s marital feud — are scarcely mentioned this week. Rather, the focus is on Cookie’s first date with Angelo, who has invited her to hear a singer friend of his perform. This scenario incorporates several well-known TV tropes — some familiar to Soap Land, others less so — but each given a unique Cookie twist. First, there’s the ‘Costume Test Montage’ with a one-line quip to go with every outfit Cookie tries on (“I look like Mrs O’Dell who went to all the funerals in my church”; “Angelo better get ready for all that jelly!”; “I look like Snaffleupagus”). However, unlike similar sequences on New DYNASTY, the tone isn’t overtly comedic. What emerges most strongly is how nervous the character is, not how hilarious the writers or actress think they are.

In the event, Cookie shows up to the date in a short sexy red dress — only to find Angelo dressed formally in a tuxedo, having neglected to mention that the singer they’re seeing is a soprano performing in an opera, and it’s a charity fundraiser which means all the other women are wearing their poshest gowns. This brings us to our next trope, which tvtropes.org refers to as ‘Underdressed for the Occasion’: “Arriving underdressed to a party or other social event often signals that the underdressed character is in some way an outsider. Frequently, the underdressed character is of lower-class status than the rest of the guests. A poverty-stricken character may be underdressed due to an inability to afford formal wear.” This description applies to Cookie only up to a point: yes, she is regarded as a lower-class outsider by the other guests (who, interestingly, are also black), but she is hardly poverty-stricken. (We’re not talking Jamie Ewing sitting down to her first formal dinner at Southfork in jeans and a work shirt.) This dichotomy is illustrated when one of Angelo’s snooty female friends asks Cookie, “Where do you stay on the vineyard?” Cookie doesn’t know what she means. “Martha’s Vineyard,” Angelo explains, before addressing the other women. “Actually, Cookie spends most of her summers running her family’s multi-billion dollar corporation.” “Actually, I have summered in Connecticut,” Cookie adds sweetly, “at the Danbury Federal Correctional Institution for Women.”

The next trope, the ‘Bathroom Stall of Overheard Insults’, isn’t one we’re accustomed to seeing in Soap Land where, as a rule, bathroom stalls don’t exist. “I just don’t know what he’s doing with that hood rat,” Cookie overhears one of the women saying to the other as they primp themselves in the mirror. “Wonder how long it’ll be before he tosses that charity case back to … that prison she escaped from?” smirks the other one. As Cookie emerges from the stall, the scene segues into a much more familiar soap trope: the ‘Powder Room Showdown’. “I got a charity for you,” she says as she slowly approaches the two women. “Make A Wish — you know that one? Once I get finished whupping both of y’all’s asses, you’re gonna wish you never met a hood rat like me.” She flicks a bit of water at them before walking away, causing them to flinch nervously. “Just wiping my hands, bitches,” she says over her shoulder.

Angelo explains to Cookie that the opera they’re watching, La Boheme, is “the story of a woman caught in between two men," which neatly reflects not only Cookie’s current situation with Angelo and Lucious, but also an equivalent scenario in her teenage years when she was caught between Lucious and “this guy my daddy wanted me to marry," whom Angelo now reminds her of. This leads to another teen flashback, this time set to ‘Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)’ by the Temptations, one of the Motown songs that also soundtracked Mack and Anne’s flashbacks back in KNOTS Season 8. I guess nothing evokes wistful memories of innocent young love quite like it.

Last week’s DALLAS ended with a two girls/one boy sex scene where one of the girls almost died. This week’s EMPIRE ends with a two girls/one boy sex scene where one of the girls is dead already. It’s a long story, but Shyne, the volatile gangster who ruined Hakeem’s wedding at the end of last season, has a niece, Nessa, whom Lucious has been trying to sign to Empire ever since he heard her sing in this season’s premiere (when she took over the mic during a show after a traumatised Jamal fled the stage). Shyne has been making life difficult for all concerned and so this week, Lucious gets Andre involved. From the moment Andre claps eyes on Nessa, the attraction between them is clear. In the final scene of the ep, they’re about to have sex on his desk when he suddenly pulls away from her. “I can’t,” he says. “I want to, but —” “It’s okay,” she whispers. “I know you lost your wife.” Right on cue, Rhonda’s Ghost materialises. “You can do it,” she tells Andre encouragingly. “We can do it together. We’ll both do it. And it’ll be really good, just like it always was.” And so, while Andre ravishes Nessa, Rhonda ravishes Andre. As with the threesome on DALLAS, it’s the man who is most freaked out by the situation. (Admittedly, in this case, that’s because he’s the only one who knows it’s actually happening.)

DYNASTY is as annoyingly smug and stupid as ever. The sole highlight of this week’s ep comes when Alexis, having learned that New New Cristal has secretly ordered a DNA test to determine if Blake is the father of her unborn baby, enlists the aid of Tony the gardener to corrupt the test. “All we have to do is switch out the original paternity sample with a non-Carrington sample so the tests come back as not a match,” she explains. This is reminiscent of the FALCON CREST plot where Melissa swapped the blood samples in the paternity test over Maggie’s baby. However, as this is C21st Soap Land and Tony has the same amusingly low IQ as Hank (aka Fake Adam), an extra twist is required and so he takes the non-Carrington sample from Bo the dog.

And the Top 3 are ...

1 (1) DALLAS
2 (2) EMPIRE
3 (3) DYNASTY

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was wondering if it would get any mention at all!
The only way I can watch New DYNASTY now is in five minute chunks. Any longer and I start losing the will to live.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've had my fair share of problems with Dynasty when I was still watching the weekly episodes on netflix.
Every now and then I thought I had figured out what it was supposed to be, lowering my expectations further and further. And then somehow it still managed to disappoint me.

Now I only watch it as trainwreck TV whenever I get over-excited after watching something really good. Like taking a purgative after having too much of great meal (or the proverbial finger down my throat).

But what's going to happen here after Dallas has ended? Is it going to be fun to do Empire and Dynasty? I mean for you - I'll read it anyway.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But what's going to happen here after Dallas has ended? Is it going to be fun to do Empire and Dynasty?
Well, the only consolation about reaching the end of New DALLAS is that I never have to watch New DYNASTY again so I think it'll just be EMPIRE versus ... itself.
I'll read it anyway.
God bless yer!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
so I think it'll just be EMPIRE versus ... itself.
1613842315853.png
?

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
25 Aug 14: DALLAS: Dead Reckoning v. 09 Nov 16: EMPIRE: One Before Another v. 08 Feb 19: DYNASTY: Even Worms Can Procreate

“Who is to blame for Drew’s death?” replaces “Who sent Pamela the video of John Ross and Emma?” as the question everyone on DALLAS is asking, but to which viewers already know the answer: Nicolas.

Whereas JR’s death was a suicide (of sorts) arranged to look like a murder, the Mendez-Ochoa cartel makes Drew’s murder look like a suicide. In both cases, a significant item is removed from the body to help achieve this deception: JR’s belt buckle and Drew’s St Christopher medal. It is the absence of the medal, which Drew always wore around his neck, that convinces his mother Carmen that his death was self-inflicted. “Suicide’s a mortal sin,” Elena reminds her. “Drew wouldn’t have been able to do it with it on.” The morgue scene where Drew’s family identifies his body is as wrenching as the one where the Ewings did the same for JR. Just as there were four Ewings present then (John Ross, Bobby, Sue Ellen and Christopher), there are four characters present now: Carmen, Elena, Bobby and Nicolas. (Nicolas, the murderer, looks as grief-stricken as everyone else). Drew’s coffin, like JR’s, is draped with an American flag and we see his mother weeping over it just as Sue Ellen did JR's. And also like Sue Ellen, Emma receives a posthumous, movingly written love letter from the deceased: “I saw a light in you, a goodness in you that I’m not sure you saw in yourself, but the truth is you deserve a better man than me. I’m sorry I didn’t fight harder to be that man.” Drew may have only around for a fraction of the time JR was, but the significance given to his passing makes it clear that, within the context of the series, his life mattered just as much.

While Elena blames herself ("Drew is dead because he discovered the deed switch. He couldn’t live with that. If I had just told him the truth from the beginning …This is my fault”), Nicolas argues that “JR Ewing is the reason your brother is dead.” However, Emma believes her father is responsible. “It’s your fault Drew is dead," she tells Harris. "You hired him to blow up that rig and he killed himself over the guilt he felt for killing those babies.”

Meanwhile, Pamela still maintains her overdose wasn’t an attempted suicide — it's just that her desire for revenge on John Ross meant more to her than her own life. A fine distinction perhaps, but one that would make sense to Shyne on EMPIRE. “If I gotta blow somebody up, I don’t care if I die with him,” he tells Lucious after declaring war on the Lyons. “What you need to come to terms with is that you were willing to throw your life away,” Sue Ellen tells Pamela gently. “I wasn’t trying to kill myself, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t ready to — and that terrifies me,” Pamela finally admits. Sue Ellen can relate: “I didn’t die when I passed out drunk and set that fire, but I just as easily could have. That terrifies me.” Back when New DALLAS began, independent, career-minded Elena was the young female character with whom Sue Ellen identified (“If I hadn’t met JR, I’d like to think that I could have been like you,” she told her then). Now, it's conflicted, self-destructive Pamela she has most in common with. The beauty of New DALLAS is that there’s enough room for both comparisons to apply; Sue Ellen is both strong and self-destructive; career-minded and conflicted.

But the Award for Most Unequivocally Suicidal Character of the Week goes to DYNASTY’s Alexis who randomly decides to shoot herself in the mouth at the end of this week’s episode, but upon seeing New New Cristal out riding with her ex-husband Mark, suddenly decides to shoot her instead. However, it’s Mark who ends up taking a bullet while New-New does the whole thrown-from-her-horse-then-dragged-along-the-ground-while-pregnant thing.

Pamela is released from Soap Land Memorial Hospital after solemnly promising to “make myself the priority.” She tells Sue Ellen that, as they never got a prenup, she intends to stay married to John Ross: “I can’t take the chance of him being awarded any part of my shares of Ewing Global.” Sue Ellen wonders how this qualifies as “making yourself a priority.” “I am making myself a priority,” Pamela explains, “because if I walk away from this marriage, John Ross wins and I’m not about to let that happen.” This is the same sort of soapy reasoning Sue Ellen herself applied back in the day when she told JR: “Hating you the way I do is enough to keep me sober.”

“Maybe if Drew had never gotten involved with you then we would still be together and maybe I wouldn’t have slept with John Ross and maybe Pamela wouldn’t have tried to kill herself,” says Emma to her father, thereby illustrating “the domino effect” — that classic Soap Land storytelling device whereby one plot development sparks off another, then another — that New DALLAS is so good at: from Ryland trying to break up Drew and Emma to Pamela’s overdose in three moves. By comparison, EMPIRE’s plotting feels more fragmented. While some story strands disappear for weeks on end, seemingly forgotten about, only to resurface when you least expect it, other plots repeat themselves ad infinitum. I’ve lost track of how many times each of Lucious’s sons has turned against him and then returned to his side. Currently, Andre is back under his spell while Jamal is the angry outsider and Hakeem’s soul is up for grabs, but they might easily have all swapped positions in a few episodes’ time. It reminds me of how Angela was continually writing Lance in or out of her will on FALCON CREST, on almost on a weekly basis. But whereas FC often felt simply inconsistent, as if the writers were having trouble keeping track of what was going on, the Lyons’ repetitive patterns of behaviour — falling out, reconciling, falling out all over again for the very same reasons — feel true to real family life, albeit heightened to the extremes of soap opera — a soap opera where the characters feel compelled to express their conflicts both through the medium of hip hop and in a public arena. As Jamal says to his father this week, “You love this type of drama!”

EMPIRE’s brand of exhibitionist soap opera reaches its ultimate expression this week as Jamal, in an attempt to combat his stage fright, collaborates with Hakeem on an intimate performance to be broadcast from his apartment on Empire XStream. As Jamal delivers a soulful number about unity and togetherness, full of “we made it through the storm and we’re still together” type sentiment, his mom and brothers look on supportively. Lucious, however, is busy monitoring the streaming numbers and isn’t impressed: “They need to go up. Hakeem’s audience ain’t even tuning in because they’re not here for this Kumbaya crap. We need some fire in here!” His solution is to drip poison in Hakeem’s ear about Andre’s new romance with Nessa, who Hakeem has also had his eye on. When it comes time for Hakeem to take the mic, he loses it and delivers an angry, homophobic rap against Jamal who he accuses of conspiring against him: “You got us doing this Mickey Mouse performance about brotherhood when you know Andre’s giant ass crushing my girl!” Lucious is thrilled and, as a shouting match between the brothers develops, he orders the cameras to keep filming. Cookie, however, pushes him out the way and starts pulling out plugs, and pretty soon, everyone’s screaming at everyone. “Petty ass dumb bitch!” “Shut your Frank Ocean wannabe ass up!” “Turn these cameras off!” We’ve seen plenty of public meltdowns on New DYNASTY — almost every time Blake or Fallon stand on a stage to make a formal announcement, they get drunk and start ranting on about something or other — and they’re all predictably farcical. This one, however, is visceral and thrilling.

As the Lyons create chaos on their streaming service, there’s further online action on DYNASTY where Sam launches himself as an influencer on Instagram, only to be upstaged by cutesy footage of Anders and Bo (DYNASTY’s dog rather than DALLAS’s paralysed rodeo rider). This comedy subplot culminates in Anders telling Sam he loves him like a son and Sam learning his Lesson for the Week (which he’ll have inevitably forgotten by the next episode): Some Things in Life are More Important Than Seeking Approval from Strangers. Such mawkishly sentimental moments on DYNASTY always take me a bit by surprise: we’re meant to actually care about these people?

It’s been a notable week for Soap Land’s underlings. As well as Anders going viral, the lovely Becky gets a bit of a storyline on EMPIRE. A few episodes ago, she was passed over for the position of Head of A&R in favour of smug Jewish white guy, Xavier. It’s interesting to note the casual racism thrown his way in this week’s ep by Cookie, who refers to him as ‘Fiddler on the Roof’, and Becky herself, who informs him testily that “this ain’t chutes and ladders, this is the music business. I thought you people understood what the word ‘business’ meant.” Xavier doesn’t respond to this jibe directly but later manages to make Becky look bad in front of Cookie and Tiana. “Why didn’t you have my back?” Becky asks him. “It’s just business,” he replies. She then has a mini tantrum at her desk which only makes her more adorable. (There’s more tit for tat rivalry in the workplace between Fallon and Culhane, both now involved with Blake’s football team, but that's all super boring and pathetically childish.)

Back at Southfork, Carmen the cook is the only New DALLAS character whose role, beliefs and allegiances have remained unaltered since the series began — but that all changes this week. After it emerges that it was Drew, not Sue Ellen, who started the fire at Southfork, Elena feels obliged to tell her the real reason Drew wanted revenge on the Ewings: the deed switch JR perpetrated on their father all those years ago. Finally, Carmen realises that she is, as Nicolas once described her, "a servant for the people who caused [her husband’s] death and stole the millions that should have been hers.” She then reveals a surprise of her own. As well as making mole and fussing over her kids during the past three years, she has also been listening at keyholes and eavesdropping on staircases. She demonstrates this by flashing back to Bobby and Bum discussing JR’s top-secret letter on the day of his funeral, only now with an inserted shot of Carmen herself watching them unobserved. She then tells Elena that she also saw John Ross reading that same letter at the beginning of this very episode.

And so, two episodes after Pamela seduced John Ross and Emma for revenge, Elena prepares to seduce John Ross to get her hands on that letter JR wrote to Bobby. Where Pamela downed a whole bottle of pills, Elena makes do with half a bottle of tequila. She finds John Ross sitting outside by the gazebo on Southfork, likewise drowning his sorrows over Pamela. “Every time something bad happens,” Elena reflects, “we think we’ll recover, but all those scars, they start to add up. It happens so incrementally, you don’t even notice until it’s too late and then one day you wake up, you look at yourself in the mirror and you don’t even recognise yourself.” This might be one of the most quietly profound things anyone on DALLAS has ever said. Lucious touches on the same theme, the corruption of the soul, as he describes the plot of a short story, 'The Criminal' by Kahlil Gibran, to Hakeem: “A young man who was very kind of heart … depended on the kindness of humanity in order for him to eat. But after some time, he felt himself starving to death, and right when you thought he was about to die, he realised his own true nature. You see, Keem, the nature of humanity isn’t love and peaceful, it’s dark and beastly and it’ll turn the meek and humble into a criminal, and the sons of peace into destroyers of men. He became a destroyer of men because he had to.”

“As the patriarch of the family,” Lucious continues, now talking from personal experience, “you’re responsible for teaching your young ones how to survive in this cold world. Jamal don’t understand that. He thinks it’s all Kumbaya and love but he’s wrong. It’s kill or be killed, eat or be eaten.” This speech, familiar as it is, shows what separates the Lyons from the Ewings, the Carringtons and the rest of the traditional Soap Land dynasties. For them, the primary challenge has always been how to survive within their dysfunctional family: how to live up to the parental expectations and deal with the sibling rivalries inside that rarified world of privilege and power. But when Lucious talks about surviving “in this cold world”, he is talking about the real world, specifically as experienced by black people in America. The Lyons don’t have generations of wealth and heritage to insulate themselves with the way the Ewings and Carringtons do. Lucious is first-generation rich: poverty and prison are a none too distant memory for him, all of which gives his brand of patriarchal rhetoric a specific kind of urgency.

“I don’t blame JR. I blame myself for trying to be JR,” John Ross tells Bum on DALLAS. “The sooner you accept that you are the younger version of me with a twist, the sooner you’ll … be your old self again,” Lucious tells Jamal on EMPIRE. “I am turning into my mother. I am gonna end up old and alone and surrounded by paintings of dogs,” realises Fallon on DYNASTY. John Ross and Lucious go so far as to add a bit of ropey science to their argument. “Having JR’s DNA in my blood is a curse.” “Jamal, you are 50% genetically disposed to become me.”

Having bedded John Ross, Elena looks through his wallet while he’s asleep and finds the letter that proves the Ewings framed Cliff! As if this were not exciting enough, we can actually hear JR laughing from beyond the grave.

There’s no reference to Jamal’s medication dependency this week, but Bo McCabe’s refusal to take any pain relief on DALLAS despite his broken back suggests his determination to turn over a new leaf is genuine. Meanwhile, the launch of Blake’s football team is upstaged when Culhane’s never previously mentioned “history of painkiller addiction” is leaked to the press. Even though he knows it will cost him his relationship with Heather, Christopher arranges for Bo to get the treatment he needs in Tel Aviv. “Bo needs Michael and Michael needs you,” he reasons. This leads to a very touching, beautifully filmed goodbye scene between him and Heather. “I guess it’s true, huh? We’ll always be connected to our first love,” Heather says tearfully, referring as much to Christopher and Elena as herself and Bo. “You never really do get over your first love,” echoes Alexis as she and Blake observe New New Cristal laughing with her ex-husband. “I didn’t.”

Speaking of first loves, neither of Cookie’s previous on-screen boyfriends — the hunky bodyguard in Season 1 nor the hunky promoter in Season 2 — felt like serious competition for Lucious. Angelo Dubois, however, delivers an impressive speech this week which suggests that he might yet prove to be the Dusty Farlow to her Sue Ellen or the Dex Dexter to her Alexis: “I saw your boys tonight on Empire XStream and I realised something … Fighting is your family’s way of life. It’s like it’s in your blood, but somehow, y’all got the idea that I’m not a fighter … Baby girl, I’m not talking about fighting with you, I’m talking about fighting for you and if that means going up against Lucious, well, then so be it.”

And this week’s Top 3 are …

1 (1) DALLAS
2 (2) EMPIRE
3 (3) DYNASTY

Who are these people?

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
By comparison, EMPIRE’s plotting feels more fragmented. While some story strands disappear for weeks on end, seemingly forgotten about, only to resurface when you least expect it, other plots repeat themselves ad infinitum. I’ve lost track of how many times each of Lucious’s sons has turned against him and then returned to his side.
It often appears to be linked to what the company or a song needs at that time - according to Lucious, of course.
It doesn't feel like a music industry just for the heck of it or because it's the most suitable empire for a black dynasty. There's a strange kind of osmosis going on, and it raises the mind-boggling question if the music is driven by the story or the story driven by the music, but without the feel of a musical.
I don't know if that's what the writers intended to achieve, but it feels like a very smart and innovative concept.
Such mawkishly sentimental moments on DYNASTY always take me a bit by surprise: we’re meant to actually care about these people?
They should caption it with: Attention! Genuine character moment without prank or eye roll!
Having bedded John Ross, Elena looks through his wallet while he’s asleep and finds the letter that proves the Ewings framed Cliff!
I know what's coming after that and I'm getting excited all over again!
Angelo Dubois, however
All great stuff and in fact the biggest teaser for season 4. I miss my Empire nights!

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
01 Sep 14: DALLAS: Hurt v. 16 Nov 16: EMPIRE: Chimes at Midnight v. 15 Mar 19: DYNASTY: Parisian Legend Has It…

Each of this week’s episodes is very distinctive. ‘Hurt’ is New DALLAS at its darkest and most brilliant. ‘Chimes at Midnight’ plays almost like a stand-alone instalment of EMPIRE until a turns-everything-on-its-head twist in the last scene makes you want to watch the whole thing all over again. ’Parisian Legend Has It …’ is proof that, despite all previous evidence to the contrary, New DYNASTY is more than capable of taking itself seriously long enough to produce a uniquely atmospheric and mysterious hour of drama when it so chooses.

“No more secrets — this ends now!” declares Elena Ramos at the top of this week’s DALLAS, heralding a non-stop thrill ride as one devastating revelation leads to another and then another, and dramatic pay-off follows dramatic pay-off. Revelation #1 comes in the aftermath of Drew’s funeral: “I know the truth,” Elena tells the Ewings. “I’ve read JR’s letter. I know all of you framed Cliff Barnes.” This much everyone in the family already knew, but there’s more. “Your father didn’t kill JR,” Elena tells Pamela. “Bobby’s been lying to all of you — you helped him frame an innocent man.” This comes as a surprise not only to Pamela but to the other Ewing women, Sue Ellen and Ann. “Tell me this isn’t true, Bobby,” Ann asks her husband. “It’s true,” Elena insists. “I wanna hear it from him!” she yells.

Bobby’s response brings us to Revelation #2: “JR was dying,” he explains. “He arranged for his own murder and it was up to me to pin it on Cliff. JR felt that with Cliff behind bars, the family could move forward, put an end to the feud that caused so much pain for both families.” “It had to be done, Pamela,” Christopher chips in. “There was no other way.” “No other way? You end a blood feud by walking away from it!” Ann protests. “Pamela, I know you’re upset —” John Ross begins, only to be interrupted by Sue Ellen. “You knew,” she realises, before turning angrily to Christopher, “and so did you …!” “They both only knew the truth after Cliff was arrested,” Bobby clarifies. “But you continued to lie to us?” Ann asks on behalf of herself and Sue Ellen. “You couldn’t know!” he replies. Elena interrupts this very satisfying game of ‘Who Knew Precisely What and When’ to deliver a taboo-busting speech that made me punch the air the first time I heard it. “JR’s plan wasn’t to end the feud or anything so altruistic,” she argues. “When he died, we rushed to sentimentalise him. We remembered the charm and the fun and the wit, but he was also a thief and a liar. He ruined people’s lives. He got us to write his ending, the ending where JR Ewing isn’t a monster.” Elena might be talking about JR, but her words apply equally to the pedestal Jock was placed on after his death in 1981, not just by the other characters but by DALLAS itself. The new series’ depiction of Jock has been far less rose-coloured, and now, by applying the same clear-eyed view to his son, it feels as if the whole process has finally come full circle. And how incredibly satisfying that, of all people, Elena, aka “that Mexican girl” as JR once referred to her, should be the one to cut him down to size. I’m reminded of the lowly Mrs Scotfield who was responsible for the downfall of Ewing Oil in 1987.

“You wanna line us up in front of a firing squad because we framed an innocent man? There ain’t nothing innocent about Cliff Barnes!” barks John Ross, going on the attack. “Why are you doing this, Elena? How is this even your concern?” adds Christopher, paving the way for Revelation #3. “That’s the deed to my father’s land, the land of my ancestors, the land my family has a rightful claim to, a land rich with oil,” says Elena, handing Bobby an envelope. “JR manipulated the records. He switched the deeds. The land my father bought … was a dry, worthless rock. My father died drilling a rock. My brother went off the deep end drilling a rock. My family is ruined because of JR’s duplicity and greed!” Now it’s Bobby’s turn to be shocked. “I had no idea,” he says.

Even as the Ewings are trying to absorb this news, Christopher cues up Revelation #4 by asking Elena how she found out about the deed switch. “Cliff Barnes told me,” she admits. “You’ve been talking to my father?” asks Pamela in surprise. “He came to me,” she explains. “He wanted to help me … Both of our families have been wronged by the Ewings, Pamela.” Thus far, Nicolas has stayed in the background, watching in silent dismay as the very secrets he murdered Drew to keep buried have been brought to the surface by Elena, but now he chooses to make his presence felt. “What was it you said to me, Bobby — ‘the truth sometimes hurts'?” he asks smugly. This leads to Revelation #5 as Bobby quickly deduces that Nicolas was planted at Ewing Global by Elena. “Nicolas and I are childhood friends, yes,” she acknowledges. “I knew he would help and he has.” “So you’ve been lying to our faces ever since and you squirmed your way to get our trust back? Screw you!” snarls John Ross at the woman he was in bed with the night before.

There are further revelations to come, but now it’s time to Elena to tell Bobby what she wants in return for keeping her mouth shut: “The money you made off my father’s land and a piece of Ewing property. These are my terms. If you’re not happy with them, I’m more than happy to tell the world what you did to Cliff Barnes — what all of you did.” Oh, and there’s also the small question of what happens to the man currently rotting in a Mexican prison cell. “You pardon Cliff, we don’t go to the police with your crime,” adds Nicolas. “That said, I can’t predict what Cliff might do once he’s free.” At this, he permits himself a slight smile which earns him a “You son of a bitch!” and a sock on the jaw from Christopher. Pamela walks out in disgust. Bobby orders Nicolas and Elena to leave as well. John Ross stops Elena on her way out. “You sure got what you wanted last night, didn’t you?” he mutters.

Bobby is then confronted by each of the three women he has deceived. First is Sue Ellen, who takes JR’s love letter, the same one that she read aloud at his funeral and, in a gesture that feels almost as sacrilegious as Elena pushing JR off his posthumous pedestal, screws it up, pronouncing it “garbage! … If he really loved me, why didn’t he tell me he was sick? Why didn’t he give me a chance to say good-bye?” Bobby has no answers for her. She follows this with another question: “So — who really killed JR?” He refuses to tell her. She looks at him with angry contempt. “Hell of a way to be the steward of Southfork,” she snaps. Next, Bobby faces Pamela, who seems more disappointed than angry. “From him, I expect lies,” she says, referring to John Ross. “From you, I expect better.” Lastly, it’s Ann’s turn. “Tell me you were weak,” she pleads, “tell me you were doing it for your brother — but don’t tell me you framed Cliff because you thought it was right.” “It was right,” he replies simply.

Throughout each of these confrontations, Bobby remains unwavering in his insistence that he was doing the right thing for the right reasons (“I wanted to spare you, spare the family,” he tells Sue Ellen. “The less you knew about JR’s plan, the safer you were … No-one can stop me from protecting this family,” he tells Ann.) But then, left alone in his study, he finally comes unglued as ‘Hurt’ by Johnny Cash plays on the soundtrack — a somewhat obvious song choice, perhaps, but a hugely effective one. Certain lines resonate powerfully. “What have I become, my sweetest friend?” croons Cash as Bobby looks down at a photo of JR, before throwing it angrily against a wall as Cash sings the next line, “Everyone I know goes away in the end.” Bobby sends the contents of his shelves and desk crashing to the floor as Cash growls, “You can have it all, my empire of dirt,” before collapsing wearily into a chair and wearily surveying the damage on “I will let you down, I will make you hurt.”

This instalment of DALLAS feels like a companion piece to JR’s funeral episode. While that ep served as an elegiac farewell to a much-loved character, full of moving eulogies and remembrances, this one examines the flip side of grief, where darker and more painful feelings reside. (They didn’t call it ‘Hurt’ for nothing.) Elena having reminded JR’s family of what a monster he could be, it now falls to Sue Ellen to humanise him again. Despite Bobby’s refusal to tell her, it doesn’t take her long to figure out who did pull the trigger (just as she did the first time JR was shot). “You were JR’s most trusted friend. Once I remembered that it was easy,” she tells Bum, He tells her how sorry he is. “I’m sure you are,” she replies sarcastically. “I’m sure you’re sorry for shooting JR. I am sure you are sorry for robbing me of a good-bye … JR was my husband! He was my love! I should have been the first one to know he was sick — not you! I should have been the one that was there with him — not you!” Then she asks about the moments immediately before his death: “Was he scared? Was he in pain?” “He was brave,” Bum assures her, “and he loved you very much.”

Bobby and Elena have a private meeting where he agrees to her demands. “You could have had your restitution without burning bridges, without causing so much pain for people who had nothing whatsoever to do with what happened to your father,” he says. “That’s where you and I disagree, Bobby,” she replies. “There’s a pattern of lies and deception on Southfork. There’s a poison that seeps into every limb of this family tree. Somebody had to put a stop to it. Too many lives have been ruined.” Some might call it “a pattern of lies and deception … a poison that seeps into every limb of this family tree”; others might simply call it life inside a soap opera. Either way, it’s the thing that prompted Maj Hagman, when she read the original DALLAS pilot script, to exclaim excitedly to her husband, "There's not one redeeming character in the whole show!”

Bobby also hands over Cliff’s “get out of jail free card” — with one proviso. “It’s a pending pardon,” he tells Elena, “depending on what you decide to do … Do you really think Cliff Barnes is gonna let bygones be bygones? He’s gonna come after the Ewings for his own vengeance and I’m gonna stop him any way I have to. Is that what you want, Elena, more bloodshed?” “That’s not my problem,” she shrugs. “I understand you wanting justice for what JR did to your family,” he persists, “but the Barnes/Ewing feud is a whole other beast and it doesn’t involve you. You wanna take that dog for a walk? Fine — but if it bites somebody, it’s because you let it.”

Throughout this episode, people have been lining up to tell Bobby how disappointed in him they are. As Elena turns to leave, it’s his turn. “You broke my heart today,” he tells her. It’s a beautifully poignant moment.

Elena tells Cliff over the phone that he is to be a free man and that their deal is done. “I am far from done,” he tells her. “I’m not stopping until I wipe the Ewings off the face of the earth. And you made it possible. I couldn’t have done it without you.” The call ends with the sound of his mad laughter, which matches JR’s evil laughter at the end of last week’s episode.

“There were times when Pam and I hated each other. Our husbands and Ewing Oil didn’t mix. But there was always one thing that we could share. We understood what it was like to be an outsider: to be a Ewing without being born to it.” So said Sue Ellen back in ’86. There are a couple of variations on this relationship — two opposing women connected by a common experience — in this week’s Soap Land. The first is Pamela and Elena. There have been several areas of conflict between them since the series began (Pamela’s fake brother Tommy sabotaging Elena’s engagement to Christopher, Elena’s real brother Drew rigging the bomb that killed Pamela’s babies, their habit of falling in love with the same men, etc.), yet Elena makes a point of asking Pamela to Southfork to hear her big announcement at the start of the episode (“Your father didn’t kill JR — your father was framed”) and now she visits her at Sue Ellen’s house to tell her which piece of property Bobby agreed to give to her as restitution: “I asked for the land Jock Ewing took from your grandfather.” “Why?” Pamela asks in surprise. “Because I know exactly how you feel, Pamela. The Ewings have hurt both of our families,” Elena explains. (This also means, contrary to what DALLAS told us when it sanctified Jock after his death, that he really did steal Digger out of what was rightfully his — I knew it!)

The second example of feuding women finding common ground takes place on DYNASTY. Even though Alexis caused New New Cristal’s miscarriage (albeit unintentionally: she was actually trying to kill her), she is still able to empathise with her loss. As Blake puts it, “at the end of the day, you’re a mother who’s lost her child. You understand more of what she’s going through than I ever possibly could.” “After Adam, I went to bed and wouldn’t leave,” Alexis recalls. “I closed the blinds, turned off all the lights and locked the door.” “When did it stop?” Cristal asks. “The pain?" she replies. "It didn’t. It just moved behind other things instead of in front of them.”

Elena has another surprise for Pamela. She hands her a document: “It’s your father’s pardon. You can either use it or burn it. If your father gets out, he will go after the Ewings. That shouldn’t be my call. It’s yours.” This gesture recalls Donna Krebbs’ last scene in ’87 when Senator Dowling gave her the final say over whether or not the Ewing brothers should go to jail over their involvement with BD Calhoun.

There are still three bombshells left to go off on DALLAS. First, Harris Ryland, having learned that Emma has been making private deals with the Mendez-Ochoa cartel, decides the time has come to tell her that he’s been secretly working for the CIA all along. “This is bigger than you and me, Emma, and whatever our quarrel of the week is,” he insists. Next, Bum has news for John Ross: “That video of you and Emma, I tracked down who sent it to you: It was Nicolas Treviño.” This leads to the final revelation of the ep when John Ross spitefully spills the beans to Nicolas: “Did Elena tell you how she got JR’s letter? She came to me last night and, well, you’re a smart man, Nicolas. You can put the rest together.”

Like DALLAS, this week’s EMPIRE is dominated by one storyline in which pretty much all the characters are involved. The company is hacked and held to ransom. Exciting! Whodunnit? Various suspects are suggested and quickly discounted: Shyne (“way too complicated for his ass”), Tariq (“too messy”), etc. Eventually, Andre figures out that the real culprit is Gram, a tech-savvy ex-boyfriend of Tiana with whom Hakeem has an ongoing beef. Gram protests his innocence, but “we found everything on your computer, brother,” Andre tells him smoothly. Gram asks if they're gonna call the cops. “That’s what white folks do,” Lucious replies. “We got something better in mind.” Enter Shyne and his boys, who only too happy to rough Gram up (and maybe even worse). And just like that, Shyne and Lucious are back on the same side, at least for now.

There’s an equivalent situation on DYNASTY when Blake finds out who he believes is responsible for firing the gun that killed Mark Jennings and Cristal's unborn baby: a henchman named Mack. Like Gram, Mack denies having anything to do with the crime, but Alexis claims to have seen him in the vicinity just before it happened. Blake doesn’t call the cops either — he just beats Mack to death with his bare hands because this week, Blake’s a cold-blooded murderer, Lucious-style, and what’s more, Cristal and Anders are his accomplices who help him get rid of the body.

What we already know, of course, is that Alexis framed Mack (it’s a little eerie to hear the former Paige Matheson refer to somebody by that name) to cover up her own guilt. But what we won’t discover until the closing scene of EMPIRE is that Gram has also been framed — and you’ll never guess by whom.

Among Empire’s leaked files is a nude selfie of Cookie that she sent to Angelo, which ends up on a giant screen for all to see. So far so New DYNASTY, but here the humour works because it's character-based rather than farcical: Hakeem covering his eyes to avoid the sight of Cookie’s cookies, Lucious hurling a chair at the screen in anger and Cookie herself yelling defiantly, “What the hell y’all looking at? They perky!” It also leads to an unexpectedly tender scene where Cookie, concerned that she is jeopardising Angelo’s political campaign, tells him they should split: “I believe in you, Angelo, and I think you can do some amazing things for this city … but if you stay with me, you’re gonna lose … I think you should go.” It’s an act of self-sacrifice on a par with Sue Ellen breaking up with Dusty because she didn’t want to be a constant reminder of his impotency. Later on, Cookie is watching TV when Angelo, besieged by reporters eager for a quote about her topless photo, suddenly strips off his shirt, “in solidarity alongside Ms Lyon and women everywhere.” Cookie is surprised to find herself saying, “I love you” to the TV screen.

After merely hinting at a potential dependency problem for Jamal two episodes ago, EMPIRE all of a sudden shows him suffering withdrawal symptoms as he attempts to quit his medication before relapsing towards the end of the episode. Not since FALCON CREST took Maggie Channing from casual drinking to fully fledged alcoholism in the space of about three episodes has a Soap Land addiction taken hold so quickly. While Elena is out to expose family secrets on DALLAS, a stoned Jamal wants to celebrate them on EMPIRE. “The secrets, the dirty little secrets,” he rambles to Major D. “I’m talking about the good ones too, these beautiful, beautiful secrets that we hide and if they keep hidden, they just gonna curl up and they gonna die inside, but nah, I’m gonna put it all in the music. I’m gonna set us all free. All of us.”

Speaking of secrets, DYNASTY's Fallon and Sam are concerned about Steven’s strange behaviour and decide to visit him in Paris. This is Soap Land’s first visit to Actual Paris since Bobby and April’s fateful honeymoon in 1990. Now as then, there are establishing shots of the Arc de Triomphe, strolls along the Seine, street artists, swanky balls and an atmosphere thick with European intrigue. Whereas Bobby and April (or more accurately, Sheila Foley pretending to be April) had to make do with slumming it in the honeymoon suite of the George V hotel, the Carringtons have their very own luxury apartment in the middle of the city. In place of Sheila Foley stealing April’s identity, the plot revolves around Fallon and Sam trying to figure out the identity of Steven’s mysterious friend George Emerson, who just happens to have the same name as a character in Steven’s favourite novel, 'A Room With a View'. Is he a grifter, a lover or, as the resurrected Matthew Blaisdel was to Claudia at the end of Season 1, simply a figment of Steven’s muddled imagination? It’s a genuinely intriguing mystery.

By the end of their respective episodes, both of Soap Land’s gay sons, Jamal and Steven, are bedridden, drugged and helpless. When Jamal fails to wake up after a wild night together, Major D fears he’s OD’d and turns to Philip, Jamal’s PTSD sponsor, for help. “He didn’t overdose, he blacked out,” Philip assures him. Meanwhile, a confused Steven checks himself into a clinic in Paris which is where George Emerson finally appears and admits that his name isn’t really George, that he was lying when he told Steven they slept together (“You’re so generous, so trusting … I’m not even gay”) and that he deliberately made it appear to Sam and Fallon “that you’d lost the plot.” As he’s speaking, he injects Steven’s IV with “a little something to help you relax.” This renders Steven unable to do anything but listen to Not George’s story: “All this started as a sort of morbid curiosity,” he tells him, “to see firsthand the life that I had been denied, and you were the easiest way in — this wounded bird, so far from home, away from the Carrington fortress.” As he is speaking, Not George’s accent shifts eerily from English to American. “But the more I got to know you,” he continues, “the more I grew to resent you, how ungrateful you are. You had everything and you walked away from it. And now I’m gonna claim it — everything my father gave you. It’s a real shame you won’t be there to welcome me home, brother … but we’ll always have Paris.” “Adam,” Steven realises. It’s kind of like 'The Talented Mr Ripley' — only rather than insinuate himself into a rich man’s life to assume someone else’s identity, Adam has done it to assume his own.

Like DYNASTY, EMPIRE ends with an eldest son revealing his true self. “Everything went more or less exactly as planned, apart from that part where you leaked a nude selfie of my mama,” Andre tells his accomplice Vaughn as he hands him a bag of money. Yes, Empire’s real hacker was strait-laced Andre! “No matter how much I try and play but the rules, the world’s always gonna see me as a well-dressed thug, the son of a gangster,” he tells girlfriend Nessa. “Rhonda always said the only thing standing in the way of me taking over Empire was I’m the son that’s not musical. But you — you're the embodiment of music, Nessa. I think Rhona would approve … of us, combining our strengths and becoming powerful together … all-powerful.” Nessa seems to like the idea, which makes her and Andre Soap Land’s first scheming couple since, well, Andre and Rhonda. So has Andre simply replaced Rhonda with New Rhonda, the way Blake did New Cristal with New New Cristal? I guess there’s only one way to find out …

1 (1) DALLAS
2 (2) EMPIRE
3 (3) DYNASTY

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
08 Sep 14: DALLAS: Victims of Love v. 30 Nov 16: EMPIRE: What We May Be v. 22 Mar 19: DYNASTY: Motherly Overprotectiveness

A gift-wrapped box containing a prostitute’s severed hands, an aunt discovering her nephew’s body dangling from a noose, a long lost son pushing his mother’s face into a fire — all in all, it’s been quite a gruesome week in Soap Land. And has any previous character had such a grim introduction as this? “This guy, El Pozolero, he’s like a ghost who only appears to inflict horror. Last week alone, he killed seventy-five villagers who dared oppose him. He boiled them in acid in front of their families.” That’s FBI Agent Tatangelo, Harris Ryland’s handler, describing the head of the Mendez-Ochoa cartel.

When we first meet El Pozolero, however, rather than boiling people in acid, he is carefully tending his tomato vines and recalling with fatherly affection the first time he met Nicolas Trevino: “He was only a teenager, but I knew there was something special about him. I never met anyone with a more inherent grasp for business and mathematics. That’s why I educated him, trained him to take over the finances of our operation.” (Sounds like Cliff and Frank Ashkani, no?) Listening to this reminiscence with silent but obvious jealousy is Luis — until now, the most senior member of the cartel seen on screen. It seems not even members of ruthless Mexican drug cartels are immune to the sibling rivalries that afflict every other Soap Land dynasty. Case in point: Fallon’s immediate reaction upon meeting her long lost brother Adam on DYNASTY is to dismiss him as a scam artist. Alexis, anxious to cover up her scheme with Hank, is obliged to agree.

Last week’s DALLAS was so extraordinary, with one intra-family explosion after another, it was hard to imagine how this week’s episode could be anything but an anti-climax. Remarkably, though, they’ve kept the momentum going, in part by widening the show’s canvas as Ewing Global finally goes public to incorporate the various parties with a stake in the outcome, while continuing to fan the flames of familial conflict.

Two real-life American media pundits pop up on the Ewings’ and Lyons’ TV screens this week, adding a sense of verisimilitude to the proceedings (although I can't say I'd ever heard of either of them). Wolf Blitzer (according to Wikipedia, ‘an American journalist, television news anchor and author’) appears on screen in the Ewing Global boardroom to announce that “Hunter McKay, the founder of video company Git It Games, just purchased all 48% of Ewing Global that was up for sale this morning … This purchase now gives McKay a controlling interest in the company.” Meanwhile, Charlamagne tha God (‘an American radio presenter, television personality, actor, and author’) appears on his regular show Breakfast Club to proclaim Jamal as not merely “Donkey of the Day”, but “Turkey of the Year.”

The Ewings react with bewilderment to Blitzer’s news. “Hunter Mackay — where did he come from?!” exclaims Christopher. “Our fight with that family’s been over for years!” adds Bobby. It falls to Pamela to explain how John Ross “just happened” to run into Hunter McKay when he was out with Nicolas, and that Hunter sold him on the idea of taking Ewing Global public as a way of seizing control of it. “Dammit, John Ross! How could you be so reckless?” Sue Ellen snaps. “Your greed has cost us control of this company!” Bobby yells. “You idiot, they were working together! They set you up!” Christopher adds for good measure. But it’s John Ross’s estranged wife who really lets him have it. “You selfish bastard!” Pamela shouts, slapping him hard across the face. “Lying and cheating were the only two things you were good at and now you’ve failed at them too!”

The atmosphere is comparatively calm in the Empire boardroom where Lucious, Jamal, Andre and assorted employees listen to Charlamagne’s takedown of “one of Lucious Lyon’s khaki-coloured kids, Jamal Lyon. Here’s a guy born into music royalty and then he bitched up after he got shot … It’s hard for me to believe that Lucious could raise such a soft ass individual!” “Everything Charlamagne’s saying is true,” Lucious informs Jamal. “Your stats are dropping on Empire XStream and we need to have a little conversation about this, son.” Whereas John Ross is humiliated by his family, Jamal keeps his cool while under attack. “I wish that you literally did not even buy this streaming service because ever since you did, it kills all creativity. It’s all about numbers now,” he tells his father before assuring him that he has something great up his sleeve: “I have the chance right now to possibly do something that could change the game, but if y’all just keep on killing me with stats, it’s not gonna happen.”

The legacy of violent death passed down from Roger Grimes and Tommy McKay to their descendants continues. Roger and Tommy were both shot dead — the former by an eight-year-old girl, the latter during a struggle with his father. Roger’s son Dennis was also shot (by the same woman who killed his dad) before being buried alive, and now it’s the turn of Tommy’s son Hunter to meet a grisly end. Poor Hunter. What he lacked in Roger, Tommy and Dennis’s leather-jacketed, greasy-haired insouciance, he more than made up for in geeky business expertise. “You’re asking me if it feels good to do what my grandfather never could and own both the Ewings and Barnes at the same time? Yeah, it sure does!” he crows to the press after becoming the majority shareholder in Ewing (formerly Barnes) Global. Alas, he doesn’t have much time to savour his victory before he is hanged in his apartment. It looks like a suicide, but Christopher suspects otherwise. “It had to be the cartel,” he tells Bobby. “They’re cleaning up loose ends, people who knew too much about the deal … What if they come after Nicolas? He could be a loose end too — and he’s with Elena!” He phones Elena to warn her she’s in danger, unaware that Nicolas is intercepting her calls.

EMPIRE’s Cookie and DYNASTY’s Adam each have a series of flashbacks this week that depict the events leading up to a parent’s death — her father’s, his fake mother’s. In each case, they are at least partially responsible for these deaths. Cookie’s flashbacks take her back to when she was a teenager seeing Lucious behind her father’s back. When her daddy found out, he disowned her and then died of a heart attack. Adam’s flashbacks begin with his supposed mother confessing that he was kidnapped from the Carringtons as a baby and end with him administering her a fatal drug overdose.

EMPIRE and DYNASTY each contain one of those slightly meta speeches where a character — in both of these cases, the show’s patriarch — all but acknowledges that he’s living inside a soap opera by describing how crazy his family is to an outsider. “Let me introduce myself,” says Lucious to Diana Dubois, the snooty mother of Cookie’s boyfriend Andre. “My name is Lucious Lyon. That woman right there is my wife Anika — she just gave birth to my granddaughter, my son’s baby mama … He somehow got her pregnant during the time he was proposing to his fiancee and getting left at the damn altar … I see you’ve met the gay one and you’ve met the irresponsible one. Where's Andre at — where’s the crazy one?” Blake, meanwhile, describes the Carrington clan to his newly acquired son Adam thusly: “Alexis’s biggest asset is the last name we let her pretend she still has — that and the trailer we used to let her sleep in. Fallon’s thing is she almost married her cousin but then she decided to marry a total stranger instead. And there’s Anders — Anders is like a second father to me and an actual father to Steven. He and Alexis had an affair in the past. We just found out about it and that’s why Steven’s gone.” On paper, these speeches seem similar, but in context, they’re very different. Lucious is out to undermine Cookie in front of Diana, whom she wants desperately to impress, because he’s jealous of her and Andre’s blossoming relationship. Blake’s motives are less clear. He is in the process of welcoming Adam to his family so painting such a negative picture of them doesn’t make much sense. Ultimately, he’s saying it because the writers think it’s funny for him to say it. After all, this is a crazy show about a crazy family who do crazy things! Crazy, huh?

“There’s a poison that seeps into every limb of this family tree,” Elena told Bobby on last week’s DALLAS. Cookie uses similar imagery in response to Lucious’s speech on this week’s EMPIRE. “This is my family,” she tells Diana Dubois. “Yeah, we are a twisted tree, but I wouldn’t trade one gay, one high, one low, one crazy, one lazy branch of it. This is who we are. Take it or leave it.”

The closest DALLAS comes to a wackily dysfunctional family this week isn’t the Ewings but the Rylands. “You people,” says Luis wearily during a sit-down meeting with Judith, Harris and Emma where they try to extricate themselves from the deal Emma rashly made in last week’s ep to double the cartel's shipment of drugs across the border. While Luis plays the straight man, Judith gets all the best lines. “I am extremely unhappy right now,” he says sternly. “Would any of you like to guess as to why that is?” “You’re a Taurus?” she asks brightly. When he refuses to allow them out of the deal, she does that sexy-yet-grotesque thing she does and starts to unzip her top. “Luis, I have always been a proponent of reciprocity in all my relationships,” she purrs, “and … I am willing to renegotiate in a way that helps both of us. Now, I believe our son has tasked you with finding our wayward whore Candace … Once you take care of our Candace problem, I will agree to increase the amount of product running through the pipeline by 25%.”

As much as it pains me to say it, there are only four weeks of DALLAS (and therefore this thread) remaining. Intentional or otherwise, there are glimpses here and there of characters’ journeys coming to an end. “The hardest part of knowing the truth about JR’s plan was not being able to confront him on why he did what he did, on how he felt so entitled to lie to all of us. As a result, I’m afraid I’m never going to be able to move on,” says Sue Ellen on DALLAS — an admission made all the more poignant for being devoid of self-pity. Even more significantly, this week also marks the final appearances of two Soap Land legends: Cliff Barnes and Nicollette Sheridan (once Paige, now Alexis). Both Cliff’s and Alexis’s fates are sealed by the children they betrayed: Pamela, whose unborn children her father sacrificed, and Adam, whose identity his mother denied to save her skin.

While Pamela visits her father in prison, Adam visits his mother in her loft. Initially, each adopts a conciliatory tone. “I’m sorry for helping the Ewings put you in jail, for failing to protect your legacy,” says Pamela. “I hope that someday you’ll be able to accept me, Mother,” says Adam. Pamela then slides an envelope across the table to her father. He assumes it contains the pardon he needs to get out of jail. Instead, it’s the deed to Ewing 6. “That plot of land was robbed from your father,” she tells him “and because of that, I was robbed from ever having one … All I ever wanted from you was love, but you always hated the Ewings more than you ever loved me.” Adam likewise produces a document that symbolises his mother’s betrayal. “Do you know what this is?” he asks her. “Of course I don’t. Why would I?” she replies nervously. He explains that it is a copy of Hank’s genuine DNA results which proved all along he was not a Carrington: “They were signed for by someone in the family, someone who clearly switched them. Someone who is you, Mother.” Cliff and Alexis plead for forgiveness. “I’m so sorry for what I did,” says Cliff. “I know I failed you.” “I am so sorry, Adam,” says Alexis. “Please tell me that you understand.” “I can never forgive you,” Pamela tells her father. “I’m gonna listen to my heart and forgive you,” Adam tells his mother. Whereas Pamela withholds Cliff’s pardon from him (“You wanna leave me here?” he asks. “You’ll forgive me if I stay in prison?”), Adam hands Hank’s DNA test over to Alexis. “It’s over now,” Pamela tells Cliff. “You avenged the wrongs done to your father, and I’ve avenged the wrongs done to me by mine. Goodbye, Daddy.” "Burn it," Adam tells Alexis, referring to the test. “It’ll be our little secret. And from this point forward, it’s me and you against the world.” As Cliff watches his daughter walk away, his hands outstretched towards her, a confused, haunted look on his face, Alexis crouches down in front of an open fire and watches contemplatively as the DNA test burns. Adam stands behind her, gently places his hand on her shoulder, and then abruptly pushes her head into the flames, holding her down as she screams. This is easily Soap Land’s most macabre visual ever, and there should be something satisfying about Alexis finally receiving her comeuppance for the deception she perpetrated so long ago (i.e., passing Hank off as Adam), but alas we’ve been burnt by New DYNASTY (no pun intended) too many times. We now understand that this is a show that has scant interest in the dramatic repercussions or emotional consequences of its characters’ actions and that there’s nothing here for us to believe or invest in. While there’s an undeniable frisson to the moment, a moment is all it is.

DALLAS also ends darkly. Judith and Harris are unnerved when Luis shows up at their home unexpectedly bearing a gift-wrapped box. Even before opening it, Judith knows she isn’t going to like what she finds inside. (I’m tempted to suggest it’s because she’s already seen the episode of EMPIRE where Cookie opens a similar box to find her cousin’s head inside, but that won’t be broadcast for another two years.) In any case, she’s sufficiently prepared not to scream the house down when she finds herself presented with a pair of dismembered human hands. “Those hands belong to your whore, Candace,” Luis explains smoothly. “It’s my gift to you to show you that I’m a man of my word — and this here is to make sure you keep yours.” He shows them live footage on a laptop of Emma and Ann bound and gagged in the back of a truck. All her composure lost, Judith whimpers in horror. “I propose a new deal,” Luis continues. “Double the shipment immediately or they’re dead.” It may not be quite as shocking an ending as Adam pushing Alexis into the fire, but it means more.

1 (1) DALLAS
2 (2) EMPIRE
3 (3) DYNASTY

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As much as it pains me to say it, there are only four weeks of DALLAS (and therefore this thread)
Hurry up, DALLAS III !
Two real-life American media pundits pop up on the Ewings’ and Lyons’ TV screens this week, adding a sense of verisimilitude to the proceedings (although I can't say I'd ever heard of either of them)
It's because of the many real life celebrities in EMPIRE whom I didn't know or didn't recognize that I assumed that J. Poppa played himself.
The name sounds so poppalar it had to be real, but no, not even a wiki or IMDB link.
When we first meet El Pozolero, however,
I remember that I confused him with Carlos Del Sol, or maybe I thought it was a surprise reveal that the Mexican friend of the family turned to out to be the mystery villain.
I guess I'm too conditioned by all the soap twists.
While there’s an undeniable frisson to the moment, a moment is all it is.
True, but this is a slightly different situation. One way or another, Nicolette's Alexis had to be replaced with another actress.
They could have opted for the more traditional car crash or mega explosion but I think it was more fun to do it this way. What happens after this, well that's a whole other story!

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
15 Sep 14: DALLAS: Boxed In v. 07 Dec 16: EMPIRE: The Unkindest Cut v. 29 Mar 19: DYNASTY: Miserably Ungrateful Men

In some ways, Ann and Emma’s ordeal at the hands of the Mendez-Ochoa cartel on this week’s DALLAS resembles a good old-fashioned kidnapping storyline from the Soap Land ‘80s. In others, it could only exist in a more brutal, post-24 and BREAKING BAD televisual landscape — the scene where Ann, searching desperately for a means of escape, peers through a bathroom window and sees corpses piled on top of one another in the back of a truck, is one example. Another is the sequence where Luis, after receiving a phone call, explodes in anger before pulling a terrified Emma away from her mother and dragging her down to the basement where he dials Judith’s number with one hand and holds a gun to Emma’s head with the other. “I just got a call from one of my men,” he informs Judith. “It seems your trucks have been stopped at the border. Did you not think I was serious about my threat? … I warned you what would happen if you didn’t do exactly as I asked.” Over the phone, Judith and Harris listen in horror as Emma pleads for her life. Ann does the same upstairs in the kill house. The camera is on Ann when we hear the gun go off. We go from her screaming to Judith collapsing in Harris’s arms (“Damn you, damn you!” he cries) before cutting back to the basement where we realise Emma is still alive and Luis has put a bullet in the wall instead. The tension, the anguish, of this scene, is more powerful than any equivalent abduction scenario in the Soap Land ‘80s — which is precisely the point Luis was trying to make. “I want you to think about the emotion you just felt,” he tells Judith. “And then imagine feeling it every day, for the rest of your life. You have one day to get the trucks moving.”

Even after this scene, Luis continues to turn on the charm. He invites Ann to join him for a makeshift candlelit dinner which recalls previous creepy “pampering the hostage” moments: Joel Abrigore preparing a bubble bath for Krystle, Phil Harbert showing Karen a closet full of dresses he has bought her, Roger Larsen planning an overseas vacation with Lucy Ewing while she’s tied to a chair, even Jerome Van Krabbe hosting a formal dinner for a bruised and battered Jeff in DYNASTY: ‘The Reunion’. The menu might not be quite as grand in the kill house, but Ann cannot hide her surprise at how good Luis’ cooking is. “I’m glad you like it,” he says. “The secret is using only the freshest ingredients … Of course, I’m not the cook El Pozolero is.” This reference to his boss immediately causes Ann to lose her appetite. “You must have heard about how he got his nickname — dissolving the remains of his victims in a stew of acid,” Luis realises. “An exaggeration I can assure you.” Ann’s reaction echoes Alex Barth’s when Claudia Whittaker casually implied that she’d poisoned his salad dressing on KNOTS.

Just before Bobby flies off to Mexico to offer himself in trade for Ann and Emma, Judith, who has treated him with nothing but withering contempt since the series began, takes his hand and thanks him. “Emma is all I have,” she whispers. It’s reminiscent of a moment back in ’79 after Bobby himself was taken hostage and Cliff Barnes was tasked with the role of middle man between the Ewings and the kidnappers. “You bring my son home, I’ll be grateful to you for the rest of my life,” Miss Ellie told him then. But whereas Ellie was stoically dignified in a way only a TV matriarch can be, Judith’s anguished desperation feels far more psychologically real. And so we realise that Judith is just as human as Mama ever was, if not more so.

Traditionally, when a Soap Land character is kidnapped, the question of whether or not to involve the authorities arises. Because of its preexisting arrangement with Harris Ryland, the CIA is involved from the get-go, but thanks to the kind of bureaucratic red tape the KNOTS LANDING characters regularly found themselves confronted with, there’s nothing they can (or are willing) to do to help. “At least look like you give a damn!” barks Sue Ellen at Agent Tatangelo. “Locating and rescuing kidnapped American citizens is not just an operational decision, it’s a diplomatic one, above my pay grade,” he explains. Just as the KNOTS gang did when they found themselves tangled up with Manny Vasquez, the Ewings come to realise that they are but small pieces in a much bigger game. Tatangelo tells them that all the CIA care about is bringing down El Pozolero: “Both the Mexican government and the CIA believe catching him is the only way to stop the complete destabilisation of the country … I won’t be able to get your trucks any CIA protection at the border.”

While New DALLAS gives us a fresh spin on the traditional Soap Land kidnapping, the burning of Alexis’s face affords New DYNASTY the chance to present its own interpretation of an ‘80s soap trope. We’ve seen about-to-be-recast characters covered in bandages before — Steven Carrington, Pam Ewing — and however a laughable a sight they may have made, their respective series treated their plight with the utmost gravity. New DYNASTY does not. If there’s a joke going on, the show is determined to be in on it. The result is not so much postmodern as post-drama. Put simply, no one on-screen cares that Alexis has been disfigured. And if no one cares about that, then no one’s going to care that Adam was responsible. And no caring means no intrigue, no tension, no drama. All that leaves us with is comedy — the very specific kind of comedy that only works if you find New Fallon’s relentless self-absorption completely adorable and/or completely outrageous and/or completely hilarious. I don’t, which is why it took me four days to slog my way through this episode. That said, the shot taken from Alexis’s point of view through her bandages is very cool.

There are some interesting developments in two of Soap Land’s coldest marriages this week: John Ross and Pamela’s on DALLAS and Lucious and Anika’s on EMPIRE. “I never thought I’d see you anywhere near Southfork again,” John Ross admits when he finds Pamela moving back onto the ranch. She tells him not to expect a reconciliation. “My father’s feud with the Ewings is over, but mine is just beginning,” she explains. “I’m staying here … until my idiot husband can figure a way to get the company back, and once he does, I’m gonna take him for everything he’s worth.” Meanwhile, the standout scene on this week’s EMPIRE takes another familiar soap trope, the deliberate smashing of a priceless ornament, to new extremes. Lucious comes home to be greeted by Anika casually dropping a vase to the floor with a cheery wave. She explains that’s she redecorating: “Isn’t that what the good housewives do? I mean, the ones who don’t have jobs?” It’s her way of saying she’s angry with Lucious for not giving her the A&R job at Empire she wanted. Then she smashes a second ornament. “I’m not in the mood for this right now,” Lucious warns her. “You keep breaking stuff and I’m-a whup —“ He breaks off his threat as she picks up a third. “That cost me $200,000 at auction. Put it back!” he insists. Smash! “Next thing you break, I’m a-clean up that floor with your ass.” She picks up yet another objet d’art. “You know I wanted that job, Lucious.” Smash! She then removes her robe to reveal the sexiest, skimpiest, kinkiest lingerie you ever did see. “I am so tired of saving your ass. When are you going to save mine?” she asks, before turning round to shows him said ass. He smiles despite himself — until she picks up one more breakable item. “Look, that is a Jack Kennedy decanter … Please don’t break it.” Smash! “NOO!!!” he shouts. She’s about to smash something else, which Lucious claims was a gift from either a diva or Adeva, but which she leaves intact after he promises to give her what she wants. As a reward, she pushes him down on a table and straddles him. “I like you like this,” he admits. He rolls over so he’s on top. She screams snd laughs. They start going at it. Then Lucious’s mother walks in “Stop it!” she protests. “Y’all humping on the table like yard dogs — that’s where I eat!” They laugh.

Despite the insistence of her sexually conflicted gangster brother, New New Cristal refuses point blank to return to Mexico with him. And really who can blame her? If DYNASTY Mexico is anything like DALLAS Mexico, then it’s going to hell in a hand cart. Bobby and Sue Ellen watch a TV news report declaring that “riots broke out again today in the streets of Mexico City in response to the murder of yet another federal magistrate.” “A bomb went off on the city bus today. Eight people were killed,” Lucia Treviño tells Nicolas over the phone before instructing her servants to shut up the house and flee for their lives: “May God protect you on your journey.” Lucia herself also gets the hell out of Dodge. The Mendez-Ochoa cartel is behind all of this. Previous Soap Land revolutions, be they in unspecified parts of South East Asia or the fairytale kingdom of Moldavia, have taken place almost entirely off-screen. This one’s happening before our eyes.

While the bulk of this week’s DYNASTY focuses on Fallon’s decision to write a book about herself, EMPIRE's Jamal reveals his intention to release an album of songs about his family: “It’s gonna be called When Cookie Met Lucious. Everything about the family — the good, the bad and all the damage done in between.” As a taster, he performs a number directed at his father: “You lied on your mother about being alive, just so your fame and street cred won’t die … You made the good turn into bad, you failed us so much that it’s hard to call you Dad, you’re something like the worst nightmare I’ve ever had … You’re a cold, cold man.” Essentially, it’s Capricorn Crude: the Musical. Meanwhile, Fallon’s book plot is essentially an extended comedy sketch where everything is exaggerated to the extreme: she employs a squad of ghostwriters to each churn out a chapter of her autobiography so the entire tome can be written in an hour. I guess it’s meant to be some sort of parody, but a parody of what exactly? Self-obsessed rich girls? The vapidity of celebrity culture? Didn’t TV shows like ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and THE SIMPLE LIFE (the reality series with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie) cover that ground, like, decades ago?

The spoilt princess has been a Soap Land staple ever since we found Lucy Ewing hiding in the barn with Ray Krebbs back in ’78. Ordinarily, the actions of such a character are used to further the show’s overall narrative. It was standing up to Lucy that helped Pam ingratiate herself with the rest of the Ewings, for example. More recently, it's the behaviour of Lucy’s C21st equivalent, Emma Ryland, which has resulted in the crisis she and the rest of her family are now facing. (“This — it’s all my fault,” she admits as Luis points a gun to her head.) On New DYNASTY, however, Fallon’s narcissistic behaviour doesn’t further the narrative; it IS the narrative. Not only that, but it’s the SAME narrative, the SAME punchline, week after week after bloody week.

EMPIRE and DYNASTY’s eldest sons, Andre and Adam, scheme similar schemes this week. After Blake gets him his medical license reinstated, Adam plots to discredit the Carrington football team’s doctor so he can have his job. He achieves this by leaking misleadingly comprising pictures that make it appear that the doctor is a pervert. Andre’s scheme is slightly more complicated (and interesting). As part of her efforts to take Empire into the mainstream, Cookie has booked Tiana to perform at a big fashion show run by the somewhat racist Helen Von Wyeth. With Nessa’s help, Andre secretly films and then leaks Tiana having a fantastically angry rant about Helene: “That bitch didn’t even want me in her stupid whitewashed show to begin with. The only reason she teamed up with Empire is because she got dragged out for doing some whacked out 'Out of Africa' collection with no black people in it. Then homegirl tries to drag me into this damn dress meant for some anorexic white chick. That skinny racist bitch can’t handle my realness!” When Helene subsequently drops Tiana from the show, Andre suggests another Empire artist as a replacement — Nessa — but Helene explains she has decided to go in a different direction: “I think I’m gonna see if Ellie Goulding is available. Now she has the right look.” “You mean the white look,” Andre counters. “A preference is not a prejudice,” Helene replies haughtily. Throughout their conversation, she has been combing her eight-year-old daughter’s hair. “You know, your daughter has such beautiful hair,” Andre tells her on his way out. “I can see why you love it.”

The tone of the subsequent scene, where the kid wakes up to find her cherished locks have been cut off while she was sleeping falls somewhere between the intensity of Luis making Emma’s family believe he has just blown her brains out — an incident so harrowing it’s suggested it could haunt those involved for the rest of their lives — and Adam burning his mother’s face off — which is presented as little more than a mischievous prank. On one hand, the scene knowingly (campily?) invokes the classic “horse head in the bed” sequence from THE GODFATHER. On the other, it demonstrates how far Andre is now willing to go to achieve his ends and ties into the underlying theme in this ep of how long straight hair on a female is viewed as more culturally acceptable and desirable than untamed Black hair.

1 (1) DALLAS
2 (2) EMPIRE
3 (3) DYNASTY

Last edited: