Did the Margaret Michaels scene make a difference?

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's just standard soap fare though. Of course irl Pam would've looked horrible if she had been burnt that way, things like eyelids, most of her nose, ears, lips, hair etc would've been burnt off, but nobody really wants to watch that.

I agree. Pam might ended blind too after such an accident.

But at the time, plastic surgery was the magical answer to recast, and crazy (but addictive) plots like Return To Eden. A 45 yo not attractive woman, then horribly disfigured by a crocodile. Yet, she won't even had a little scar after surgery. And she will even end up as a 25 yo Top Model... The 80's were so naïve and so fun.

David Gordon is not a plastic surgeon, he's the Wizard of Oz...

Lol. He was no magician. He couldn't save Pam from her pancreatic cancer. But at least, he made her pancreas look beautiful.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But at the time, plastic surgery was the magical answer to recast, and crazy (but addictive) plots like Return To Eden. A 45 yo not attractive woman, then horribly disfigured by a crocodile. Yet, she won't even had a little scar after surgery. And she will even end up as a 25 yo Top Model... The 80's were so naïve and so fun.

Or that they even entertained the idea that Wes Parmalee could be Jock Ewing. It's a soap, it's ok to suspend disbelief at times.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Or that they even entertained the idea that Wes Parmalee could be Jock Ewing. It's a soap, it's ok to suspend disbelief at times.

I embraced the Return To Eden craziness. I was even a huge fan.
So the plastic surgery fantasy was never a problem for me, at the time. And I don't mind much now either. Nicollette Sheridan morphing into Elaine Hendrix would have been no problem for me. I know that you like it, but the Fallexis transition was my limit lol

Last edited:

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's just standard soap fare though. Of course irl Pam would've looked horrible if she had been burnt that way, things like eyelids, most of her nose, ears, lips, hair etc would've been burnt off, but nobody really wants to watch that.

Right ! And after the Miss Ellie Reed incindent or Patrick Duffy selling soap under his shower, we'd better stop counting the sharks...;)

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Right ! And after the Miss Ellie Reed incindent or Patrick Duffy selling soap under his shower, we'd better stop counting the sharks...;)

Barbara's Ellie was the kind of mum cooking a good piece of beef, while Donna's Ellie was the kind to make filet-mignon or to order sushis.

Anyway, I think that Margaret Michaels would have a recast less difficult to swallow, as there was at least a little bit of ressemblance with Victoria.

MenaceTheDennis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ultimately it didn’t make a difference. It just added another level of sadness to an already sad, declining show. I really don’t know what they hoped to accomplish with this scene. Making Cliff think she wants nothing to do with them, including Bobby. Who wants to see that? She says she’s dying. But we don’t see her die. And I’m not a fan of Michaels to be honest. Ultimately they could’ve killed her off with a letter to Bobby explaining why she did what she did. But they always hoped Victoria would return. At some point, just kill her off. Have some respect for the audience and character.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ultimately it didn’t make a difference. It just added another level of sadness to an already sad, declining show. I really don’t know what they hoped to accomplish with this scene. Making Cliff think she wants nothing to do with them, including Bobby. Who wants to see that? She says she’s dying. But we don’t see her die. And I’m not a fan of Michaels to be honest. Ultimately they could’ve killed her off with a letter to Bobby explaining why she did what she did. But they always hoped Victoria would return. At some point, just kill her off. Have some respect for the audience and character.

I didn't like the writers/producers decision to make Pam terminally ill. Worst, without showing her dying, and without confirming her death. But I understand why they did that.
- They were stil hoping that Victoria Principal would come back at some point.
- They - maybe - had the need to give the audience some (semi) closure about Pam. Fans surely kept on asking about the character, at the time. So with that short scene with the recast, it kinda ended fan's expectations : Pam was terminally ill. She was never coming back to Dallas. The end.
Unless VP would have agreed to come back, and the character (who was never confirmed dead) could be miraculously healed and back.

The irony is that TNT Dallas (that I don't like much) at least gave us real closure, and answers, the best way they could, given what was written in the OG series.

Last edited:

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I still say adult-onset neurofibromatosis is what did her in.
I just looked up Neurofibromatosis and saw that there at two types: Type 1 is what affected Joseph Merrick ("The Elephant Man"); Type 2 causes numbness, weakness, seizures, balance issues, and vision and hearing impairment. Type 2 is clearly better suited to attractive leading ladies. Reading the symptoms I was reminded of Bette Davis in Dark Victory.

I can see Pam bravely dealing with the struggles of poor balance and loss of vision while she clings to the arm of her handsome doctor who dotes on her until that fateful day she feels very tired and needs to lie down. It appears Pam is about to die. Downstairs the handsome young doctor fights back tears while his distinguished looking mentor tries to console him. The doctor runs upstairs and clutches Pam's apparently lifeless body and cries out "NO!" The older doctor enters the room, looking concerned. The younger doctor looks up at him and says "the procedure, we must perform the procedure!"

Jabari Lamar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyone here familiar with Days of Our Lives? People accepted that John Black was really Roman Brady with plastic surgery, despite not only looking completely different but also being about 4 inches taller.