Frank Sinatra & Ava Gardner Biopic

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for the info, but...DiCaprio and Lawrence? Sounds like a bad joke!
Precisely my thought. I don't think they're the best choices for the parts.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Leo will make it work, but I'm not crazy about the casting of Lawrence.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Leo will make it work, but I'm not crazy about the casting of Lawrence.
Leo will swear, get drunk and f. like crazy (just like Sinatra); Lawrence will have to wear lots of prosthetics and win an Oscar.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Leo has a weird tendency to get himself cast as people he looks nothing alike (Hughes, Hoover). He's 50 and looks every one of his years. Sinatra was like 35-ish when he married Ava. Actors playing real people don't need to be waxwork replicas but there should be some resemblance.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Leo has a weird tendency to get himself cast as people he looks nothing alike (Hughes, Hoover). He's 50 and looks every one of his years. Sinatra was like 35-ish when he married Ava. Actors playing real people don't need to be waxwork replicas but there should be some resemblance.

DiCaprio really, really looks tired, depressed. And he has a little of that adolescent nasality which can be a bit problematic.

And a Capricorn (which Leo is not) should always play a Capricorn (which Hughes and Hoover are)... I mean, it's the Bible.

Speaking of both the Bible and Capricorn, is Jared Leto (who doesn't look his age of 52) too old to play Jesus in Scorsese's planned religious epic? (And is Scorsese too old to be planning these features so far in advance?)

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jennifer? As Ava? Really??
Well, I like Jennifer. I think she’s a really good actress. I’ve enjoyed her in most of what I’ve seen of her. I can see her playing Eva as being a stretch for a lot of people but I’m just saying if anyone can pull it off it’s her. I’ll give it a chance.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just finished watching THE DETECTIVE (1968) -- a film I'd only seen bits and pieces of over the years. Previously, it had always seemed overtly homophobic (in a BOYS IN THE BAND kind of way) in keeping with the period when movies were new to dealing with such edgy subject-matter and the culture wasn't prepared to deal with it at all. (There's a gay murder, and Frank's the hard-boiled cop who's investigating). There are lots of slurs and all the gays are leering, effeminate and abjectly psychotic.

But today, to my surprise, the film almost feels progressive. The stereotypes which once seemed so offensive years ago have lost their bite in the current era of Drag Queen Story Hour when we seem to have re-embraced those homophobic cliches as somehow empowering. So now, with much of its un-PC shock value eliminated, the movie is reduced to giving us uber-macho, no-nonsense detective Sinatra being startlingly sympathetic to all the raging and suicidal queens, hold hands with a flaming crazy as he confesses falsely [spoiler alert!!] to homicide who then subsequently fries in the electric chair, and Frank spouts leftist (or is it rightist?) rhetoric I've rarely heard in a motion picture about how urban slums are maintained as slums because they're more lucrative than if they weren't slums.

The movie is rough and lurid in a late-'60s way. And as such it borders on rampant trash. Frank's wife (Lee Remick) is sluttier than Frank's favorite slut (who looks just like his wife), Jacqueline Bissett shows up as a key person in the plotline, Ralph Meeker (whom Tarantino loves) is a nasty homophobic cop in Frank's precinct, dapper Lloyd Bochner (whom Tarantino reviles) is the dapper shrink who knows all the faggy secrets. Etc... etc...

The acting is good, the direction is tight, the politics is all over the place.

I was surprised it was as watchable as it was.

Despite my best efforts, why am I warming to Frank Sinatra as the decades roll on??

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite my best efforts, why am I warming to Frank Sinatra as the decades roll on??
It’s the charisma and the coolness aspect of it. Hard to watch him in these movies and not want to be him at some point. He’s entertaining to watch whether the movie delivers the goods or not.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s the charisma and the coolness aspect of it. Hard to watch him in these movies and not want to be him at some point. He’s entertaining to watch whether the movie delivers the goods or not.

I'm not sure that's my particular mindset. I'm relatively immune to Frank's charisma and cool -- and I'd never want to be him, forgoshsakes.

It may be his world-weariness by this point. As it is with his mid-'60s, post-JFK vocals... As Clive James once said about Sinatra: "think sad, but say it funny."

Last edited: