Greer Garson Appreciation Thread

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Greer Garson has many classic movies to her credit. One of the MGM actresses brought in the late 1930s at a time when stars like Garbo, Shearer, and Crawford were slightly being edged out.

I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of her work, but I'm curious at what lies ahead me. She had a series of popular successes, such as her Oscar-winning role in the 1942 film Mrs. Miniver.

What's your thoughts?

1597408777115.png

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I use to think that Greer Garson was solely brought in as a successor to Greta Garbo. When I was young in my knowledge, I always thought there was some connection between Greta Garbo and Greer Garson.

1597415868486.png
1597415948114.png

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Greer Garson actually came to MGM around 1937. She sat around for two years while the studio scrambled to find a vehicle for her before she finally turned up in Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939), which earned her an Oscar nomination. Her role was small when compared to her fellow nominees, but her performance garnered raves. She was quickly ushered to the forefront of MGM's leading ladies. She was then given the lead role in Susan and God, but the powers-that-be soon reassigned her to the more prestigious Pride and Prejudice (1940), co-starring Laurence Olivier. Joan Crawford accepted the studio's request for her to replace Garson in Susan and God.

Like I mentioned earlier, the similar letters in Greer Garson and Greta Garbo had been convinced there was a connection between the two women, if only from the studio's decision to rename Greer. As it turns out, I'm wrong; Greer Garson was her given name (or part of it).

Anyway, there seemed to be a lot of urgency surrounded Garson's splash at the box office in the late 1930s. Garbo, whose attempt at romantic comedy came with mixed blessings, finally decided to walk away from her film career in early 1942, initially intended to return following the conclusion of the Second Wold War. Norma Shearer, who had been the Queen of the studio the past decade, had been suffering a career downturn following the death of her husband, production head Irving Thalberg, back in late 1936. Crawford, whose rags-to-riches formula had worn out its welcome with Depression-era audiences, had been proclaimed "box office poison" by theater exhibitors in 1938.

Greer Garson was one of the many actresses MGM was banking on to keep their reputation for being the Tiffany Studio afloat. Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, and Lana Turner were among the others, all of whom carried the studio successfully throughout the 1940s. Garson handled the prestige pictures, Garland the studio-defining musicals, Lamarr the exotic beauty parts, and Turner the blonde bombshell roles. Garson morphed into the new Queen of MGM, while the others circled around her.

Most agree Joan Crawford was the one most worried about Garson's arrival at MGM. Garbo and Shearer were already disillusioned with their own careers, while Crawford, ever the career-centric dark horse, was not going to take her career setback laying down. Still, she accepted the studio's request for her to fill-in for Garson on Susan and God, even though she knew the role was wrong for her, and she showed up happily for the 1941 sanitized remake of When Ladies Meet, co-starring with Garson. I haven't seen all of this film, but it's definitely on my watch list.

1597433482592.png

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I admit that I have never seen a single Greer Garson film, unless one counts her so brief it's almost a cameo role in JULIUS CAESAR.

Having never seen her work, it's undoubtedly unfair: but I have a preemptive disinterest in her. Nothing that I've read over the years has piqued even the tiniest shred of interest in exploring her work. Worse, I l always have a gut feeling she's going to remind me of Deborah Kerr, which is enough for me to give a wide berth.

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Greer Garson is one of my favorites, especially from the 1940s. I'm not sure what exactly is it about her. She's the total opposite of bitchy divas like Joan and Bette that are my usual favorites. I guess it's that quality of a great British lady, a kind, gentle motherly figure. Mrs Miniver herself! Greer was like that in real life and in most of her movies. So yeah, in a way like Deborah Kerr (also one of my favorites) but more glamorous.

As already mentioned, she was one of MGM's late 30s European discoveries when LB Mayer went to Europe to search for talent. Greer was very hesitant about abandoning her successful London theater career and moving to the US. LB had to do a lot of convincing and in the end Greer managed to get a much better financial offer and accept it. Her mother was her constant companion and adviser so they moved together and lived together. It took a few years before MGM figured out what to do with her. She was ready to pack and go back to UK when they finally cast her in Goodbye , Mr Chips which brought her great reviews and put her on the map. Greer had an amazing, almost unparalleled run from 1941 until 1947 when all of her movies were outstanding box office smashes and critical dears. She got 5 consecutive Oscar nominations, winning for Mrs Miniver. These movies are also her best so for anyone who wants to discover some of her works, they are my recommendations.

Blossoms in the Dust (1941) - first movie with Walter Pidgeon, her constant on screen partner (made 8 pictures together). The true story of Edna Gladney, who helped orphaned children find homes and began a campaign to remove the word "illegitimate" from Texas birth certificates, despite the opposition of "good" citizens.

When Ladies Meet (1941) - Greet and Joan together in a movie! Certainly a must see for that fact alone. Greer was not interested in any sort of feuds or rivalries so she elegantly ignored Joan's baits and attempts to cause drama. I have seen this one long time ago so I need to rewatch it but I remember enjoying it.

Mrs.Miniver (1942) - Greer's best known movie and ultimate triumph. The highest grossing picture of 1942 (8.9 million $), winner of 6 Academy Awards (Best Picture, Director, Actress etc). One of my favorites, great cast and perfect in every sense. A movie that helped a lot with convincing American public to support US entering the war. Norma Shearer was first considered for the role but did not want to play a mother of grown up son. Greer had no such problems and even ended up marrying the actor.

Random Harvest (1942) - Another Greer trimph and fan favorite. A romantic drama with all sorts of soap twists and turns and Greer is at her most ravishing in this. Ronald Colman is great in his role of a shellshocked, amnesiac World War I soldier and his and Greer's soothing voices are perfectly matched. Made almost as much money as Mrs Miniver ($8,147,000) which is almost unheard of to have such 2 successes in the same year. Got 7 nominations but lost all to Mrs Miniver.

Madame Curie (1943) - the story of Polish-French physicist Marie Curie in 1890s Paris as she begins to share a laboratory with her future husband, Pierre Curie. Really interesting and well made, showing the struggle and sacrifice of scientists. More Walter Pidgeon, box office gold ($4,610,000) and Oscar nods for Greer.

Mrs.Parkington (1944) - tells the story of a woman's life, told via flashbacks, from boarding house maid to society matron. Greer goes brunette for this, which I don't think looked so good on her. The audinces did not seem to mind since this was another smash, earning $5,631,000 and bringing Greer another nod. Interesting to note that this was released the same year as Bette's Mr. Skeffington for which she was also nominated and that both actresses go from young to very old in these two, overlong movies.

The Valley of Decision (1945) - Another of my Greer favorites, a Cinderella like story of a maid who gets into a romance with the rich heir, played by young Gregory Peck. A massive hit ( made $8,096,000 ), this movie has something from everyone, from big manor goings-on to miners strike and grumpy Lionel Barrymore.

Adventure (1946) - "Gable's back and Garson's got him!" . This was a tagline used by MGM to promote this movie which was Gable's first postwar film and quite an event for all involved. The result is somehow uneven, a movie that doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a drama or comedy. Apparently Garson and Gable did not get along that well, though there no incidents. The movie was somehow seen as a disappointment even though it made a healthy $6.1 million . Still worth checking out, plus Joan Blondell's in it as well.

Adventure also marks the end of Greer's golden period because after this came the utter disaster that was Desire Me (1947), a movie that had a lot of behind the scenes drama with many director changes ( in the end it was released without a credited director ), many rewrites and delays and even Greer almost drowning during one scene set in the ocean. When finally released , because of its high production cost, it suffered a net loss of $2,440,000 .

By the late 40s times were changing and Greer's WW2 image was not as popular and attractive to audiences so her movies made less money and were more moderate successes. My favorites from this period are probably That Forsyte Woman (1949), a costume drama with Errol Flynn, in gorgeous Technicolour. I also love her first movie she made after leaving MGM, in 1955, at Warners, Strange Lady in Town, a western about a small town doctor , the original Dr Quinn the medicine woman you might say.

By this point, Greer was married to a Texas oilman E.E. "Buddy" Fogelson and lived in Texas so her career slowed down. The two would remained married until his death. She did have one final triumph as Eleanor Roosevelt, in 1960's Sunrise at Campobello, her final Oscar nomination.

By all accounts Greer was a beloved figure on the MGM lot and in the industry in general. From what I've read, she was really treated like a Queen at Metro, and she had her very British habits and rituals like tea at 5 o'clock every day on set etc. But she was no diva and the crews loved her. Plus she loved pulling pranks and making jokes. The media was also very kind and respectful to her, in general. Even her marriage to a much younger man who played her son in Mrs. Miniver , which could have been controversial, was not able to hurt her image or career. From some interviews I've read, she sounds like a highly intelligent, eloquent woman who knew what she wanted in career and life. Ultimately, she lived a long and happy life, never losing her mind, path or dignity, something quite rare in Hollywood.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I use to think that Greer Garson was solely brought in as a successor to Greta Garbo. When I was young in my knowledge, I always thought there was some connection between Greta Garbo and Greer Garson.

In name, I suppose there was some connection, but it seems as Garson succeeded Norma Shearer in the types of roles she played.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes I think Garson inherited Shearer's general position at MGM. The studio probably saw Hedy Lamarr as their Garbo replacement, although she fell well short. I suppose the new Crawford was Turner.

I've never seen Garson in anything, but I've always imagined her being unbearably stuffy. That interview was slyly bitchy. If that persona ever came across in her performances, I'm suddenly intrigued. I'm not entirely convinced by her story, though. Even in her waning days, Shearer was still effectively the queen of the studio. It's very probable that MRS. MINIVER was offered to her in some capacity; it's equally plausible that Garson was told she was the first and only choice. Trying to find the truth in Old Hollywood accounts is a daunting task; one has to scrape away multiple, conflicting accounts of self-mythologizing.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well 1stly Norma was for a time sleeping with Mickey Rooney and when that was found out it didn't matter much to Mic key big Surprise but she stopped it cause as she said her career was on the downfall she didn't want to finish it off. or something along the lines of that i'd have to look at Greer Garson's films to see if i've seen any but off the top of my head without looking i haven't but i'm sure i have seen at least one.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes I think Garson inherited Shearer's general position at MGM
Garson came to MGM in 1939, and was perceived as a more serious actress to take over the prestige-type pictures Shearer had done. After Irving Thalberg, Norma's husband and head of production at the studio, passed in 1936, Shearer's own relevance with MGM wavered.

I've seen it enough places to believe that Shearer was still the studio's original choice for MRS. MINIVER, although she declined it to do HER CARDBOARD LOVER instead, which ended up being her swan song. Garson gladly took over the role, winning an Oscar in the process.

There was a small uproar in 1940 at MGM when Vivien Leigh wanted to do PRIDE AND PREJUDICE with her boyfriend Laurence Olivier, while Crawford wanted to do WATERLOO BRIDGE, and Garson was supposed to do SUSAN AND GOD. MGM wanted Garson for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, put Leigh in WATERLOO BRIDGE, and Crawford took over for Garson in SUSAN AND GOD.

The studio probably saw Hedy Lamarr as their Garbo replacement
Louis B. Mayer was quite open -- or so I've read -- about Hedy Lamarr being his intended successor to Garbo. But the studio ultimately found Lamarr too difficult and hard to please. She turned down a lot of roles, with CASABLANCA being one of them, and she never quite made the splash Garbo did.

I suppose the new Crawford was Turner
MGM snatched up a young Julia Jean Turner and rechristened her Lana Turner in late 1937. It is widely believed that MGM saw Turner as a successor to Jean Harlow, who had passed away suddenly earlier that same year. Turner, however, really lacked the sense of humor Harlow employed, and she ultimately ended up doing the types of melodramas Crawford would've craved.

Last edited:

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm always amazed when I think about MGM in the early 1940s. This very unique, transition period from 1940 until 1943, when they had a staggering number of huge stars, including the both sets of their leading ladies, the old ones from 1930s and the new, replacements that are to rule the 1940s. I mean, in those few years you had Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Katharine Hepburn, Greer Garson, Lana Turner, Myrna Loy, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, all working on the same lot. What a time to be alive! Plus in 1942/43 the young Elizabeth Taylor arrived and Ava Gardner was already a bit player. It's crazy.

It's such a shame that iconic 1943 group photo was taken at the moment when Garbo/Joan/Norma already departed or were about to leave. Imagine having all of them together, in the same photo! Though I can't imagine Garbo appearing, even if it was taken in 1933.

In the photo, Miss Garson takes the central position, next to LB Mayer, symbolic of her status at the studio throughout the decade.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I mean, in those few years you had Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Katharine Hepburn, Greer Garson, Lana Turner, Myrna Loy, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, all working on the same lot. What a time to be alive! Plus in 1942/43 the young Elizabeth Taylor arrived and Ava Gardner was already a bit player. It's crazy.
It would've been a glorious time to tour the MGM lot. There's no telling who you would've saw strutting the sound stages.

It's such a shame that iconic 1943 group photo was taken at the moment when Garbo/Joan/Norma already departed or were about to leave. Imagine having all of them together, in the same photo!
Yeah, the photo would've been all the better had some of the 1930s stars been present.

Though I can't imagine Garbo appearing, even if it was taken in 1933.
No, she wouldn't have showed. She never attended any MGM functions. She didn't go to LB Mayer's birthday parties and she refused to show up at movie premieres and award ceremonies.