Hart to Hart

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
HART TO HART was an American mystery television series that aired on ABC from August 25, 1979, to May 22, 1984, totaling five seasons and 110 episodes. The series starred Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers as Jonathan and Jennifer Hart, a wealthy married couple who lead a glamorous lifestyle and regularly find themselves working as unpaid private investigators to solve crimes in which they have become involved.

The successful series was created by Sidney Sheldon and produced by the partnership of Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg. HART TO HART was, at least in part, inspired by THE THIN MAN movie series from the 1930s that starred William Powell and Myrna Loy as amateur sleuths.

The pilot had apparently been written many years before it was ever shot. While Robert Wagner was attached to play Jonathan Hart practically from the beginning, there were multiple candidates to play his on-screen wife, Jennifer. ABC originally wanted Wagner's real-life wife, actress Natalie Wood, for the role, but those negotiations fell through (apparently Wagner didn't like the idea). Several other actresses were considered, such as Suzanne Pleshette, Kate Jackson, and Lindsey Wagner, before Wagner suggested Stefanie Powers, who eventually got the part.

I've long known about HART TO HART, and I finally watched some episodes when it was shown on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel. It was often grouped with shows like MURDER, SHE WROTE, DIAGNOSIS: MURDER, and MATLOCK in afternoon time slots aimed towards old-fashioned-style murder mysteries. My favorite thing about the show, interestingly enough, was the opening credits. The show itself seems to be typical of its era; flashy, campy, and leaning more towards fluff over substance. A lot of this can fall on Aaron Spelling's shoulders as well, whose TV shows often hold their own brand of fluffiness.

Any fans of this show?
1638474704253.png

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it´s a nice show and like you wrote the opening is great ... the Harts seam to be the most perfect tv couple
In Germany I think this show never really was off the air ... there´s always a network that has re-runs ...

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I didn’t know about the other names that were considered for the role of Jennifer. Kate Jackson seems like a natural fit and I think Suzanne Pleshette could’ve worked out well also. I think Natalie Wood is the most intriguing name on the list. It would’ve been interesting to see how the real life couple’s chemistry transcended on screen. As for Lindsay Wagner, I’m kind of on the fence with that one. Not sure if I can see her as Jennifer. Ultimately though I think they got it right as I feel Stephanie Powers was perfectly cast.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve also read that Kate Jackson’s name was floated as one of the leads. But I don’t see how she was seriously considered. The pilot was filmed in the spring of 1979. Kate Jackson wasn’t fired from Charlie’s Angels until April of 1979. And Hart to Hart was from Charlie’s Angels producers Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg. Spelling publicly stated, “Due to problems on the set, Kate has been let go for the good of the show.” I doubt that he would have approved hiring her. And I doubt Kate was in any hurry to work for Spelling again.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I didn’t know about the other names that were considered for the role of Jennifer. Kate Jackson seems like a natural fit and I think Suzanne Pleshette could’ve worked out well also. I think Natalie Wood is the most intriguing name on the list. It would’ve been interesting to see how the real life couple’s chemistry transcended on screen. As for Lindsay Wagner, I’m kind of on the fence with that one. Not sure if I can see her as Jennifer. Ultimately though I think they got it right as I feel Stephanie Powers was perfectly cast.
You're right Stephanie Powers was the perfect Mrs. Hart
Would anyone consider Diana Rigg, Jaclyn Smith, Lesley Anne Warren?

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked the Harts but I thought they were a little too lovey dovey. Was there ever a cross word exchanged between the two of them? They were never irritated with each other at all.

Drinking game: take a drink every time one of them calls the other “darling”.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Is this a sly reference to that scene in Back To The Cul-De-Sac?

Val pulls up to the guard-gate at the movie studio. She's struggling to see someone who just drove through the gate.
Val: "Was that Stefanie Powers?"
Guard: "No, Michele Lee."
Val (starstruck): "Oooh!!"

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There were some fans ( I was not one of them) that wanted Jonathan and Jennifer to have a child. That would have been a big mistake. A very pregnant Jennifer could never go on capers. Also, no one wants to see a baby placed in danger and finally, the alternative would be them deserting this kid while on adventures.

I was glad the writers never did that.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There were some fans ( I was not one of them) that wanted Jonathan and Jennifer to have a child. That would have been a big mistake. A very pregnant Jennifer could never go on capers. Also, no one wants to see a baby placed in danger and finally, the alternative would be them deserting this kid while on adventures.

Yeah, I don't think it would've worked well with Jonathan and Jennifer having a child, especially if that child was just going to be casually disregarded (as it would have to have been) for the parents to go on their adventures.... then nah.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I guess they could’ve done something where they hire a nanny to take care of the little show killer but with this show I have to agree with you. A baby wouldn’t have made a whole lot of sense in this case.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
hire a nanny to take care of the little show killer
Yes, the addition of a kid is always the death knell of a popular show. But in this case, they would perhaps see the error of their ways early on. Returning from a disastrous previous season of passing off the kid to their butler Max, we learn in the first five minutes that the kid is now dead, having developed lung cancer from inhaling all that secondhand smoke from Max's cheap cigars.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Enjoyable show. The chemistry between J+J/R+S carries a lot more than the plots sometimes, because when they're not onscreen often the plots are less interesting. The only thing I don't much enjoy is the way the plots wrap up within the last 2 mins often with them essentially in an impossible situation, cut to ad break and then they're back home or somewhere else safe. Like how did you go from barely containing the bad guys with guns or bad guys who outnumber you to being home safe and sound? The magic of TV, that's how :p
I find the coupling really convincing however, the relationship may be idealised but I highly enjoy watching it. There are odd moments of disagreement but even then they'll often snap out of it and regroup before leaving each other.

I'd like to see the movies but can't find them anywhere but the Microsoft store and I haven't gotten around to making an account there. The DVD multi set is outrageously expensive for TV movies released 20+ years ago.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd like to see the movies but can't find them anywhere but the Microsoft store and I haven't gotten around to making an account there. The DVD multi set is outrageously expensive for TV movies released 20+ years ago.

Then this would be right up your alley-- Mill Creek's release of all 8 of 'em in the Movies Are Murder Collection; $15 on Amazon.