Home Improvement (TV series)

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess HOME IMPROVEMENT would probably qualify as a classic, right?

The show stars Tim Allen as Tim Taylor, a macho-man who has is own home improvement show called TOOL TIME. It is co-hosted by Al (Richard Karn). Tim is married to the no-nonsense Jill (Patricia Richardson), and the couple has three sons: Brad (Zachery Ty Bryan), Randy (Jonathan Taylor Thomas), and Mark (Taran Noah Smith). Tim often gets advice from his next-door neighbor Wilson (Earl Hindman), whose full face is never revealed in the show.

HOME IMPROVEMENT aired from 1991 to 1999, and despite receiving middling reviews, won many Emmy awards and never left the Top 10 of the ratings during its entire run. It peaked at #2 during the 1993-94 season, the same year Tim Allen had the best-selling book, DON'T STAND TOO CLOSE TO A NAKED MAN, and the #1 movie at the box office, THE SANTA CLAUSE.

There is a lot of physical humor in the show, and a lot of comedy is drawn from Tim's practically ineptness to properly complete household tasks because he simply over does them. Jill and Al do their best to reel him in, and Wilson provides wisdom for Tim that he more or less takes to heart.

I was not a big fan of HOME IMPROVEMENT when I saw the reruns on Nick at Nite many years ago, but I have drifted over to the show on Hulu out of pure nostalgia. I'm a little surprised that I am enjoying it as much as I am.

Any fans of this one out there?

1707659320776.png

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved this show. It premiered when I was in high school. At the time Cheers was my favorite show and I didn’t think anything could come close to it for me but this one did.

The thing I remember most was Tim’s never ending stunts gone wrong on Tool Time. Al played the perfect foil for Tim’s craziness.

Wilson was probably my favorite character though. I liked how Tim would always listen to his advice but then get it all twisted when he tried to explain it to Jill. Then there was the thing with us never seeing Wilson’s entire face. It was always half covered behind the fence or in other ways, which kind of became a running joke on the show.

Wasn’t aware it remained in the top 10 its entire run but I’m honestly not surprised. Some shows just have that connection and this was one of them.

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely love Al!!! He makes the show for me.
Brad’s hair always amuses me when watching back episodes. He literally has every 90s haircut one after another :D

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely love Al!!! He makes the show for me
Why was I not a big fan? I’m not quite sure but I will say that he did play the perfect straight man to Tim’s craziness. I can’t picture the show without him to be honest.

Brad’s hair always amuses me when watching back episodes. He literally has every 90s haircut one after another :D
I never thought about this one but looking back now it does seem his hair changed quite often.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m surprised no one’s brought up a certain guest star yet. She played Jill’s mother and was famous for saying “Kiss my Grits” on a different show years earlier. I thought she stole the show and her interaction with Tim was hilarious.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In theory, I didn't like this show at all, but somehow kept watching. It was always entertaining even if I found the characters rather unlikeable.
Ha! Same. I feel like in the 90s and with lesser channels you somehow ended up watching almost every episode of any ole' shite if they ran it enough times in reruns. I don't particularly remember liking it, but somehow I probably saw the entire run.