How did I miss the strongest Bel Geddes scene?

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
My favourite scene is when she broke down in tears in Mastectomy.

Such a powerful scene. I also loved her reaction in season ten when Wes Parmalee tell's her "they're mine Miss Ellie! Always have been!"

She was such a great actor. May she rest in peace. :(

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have always felt that they should have made Ellie like Victoria Barkley.

The way things turned out, you are right.

Howard Keel was a great actor with great presence. But they never quite knew what to do with him. A Victoria Barkley role for Miss Ellie might have worked out better. Showing her taking over Southfork on her own, and making her own decisions as a strong woman who doesn't need a man helping her.

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miss Ellie's scene with Dusty is great and different. Mostly Miss Ellie reacts and comments to actions of others. She is always at her best when she took a firm stand in what she believed in. To disagree with a non-villain character is quite rare.

Actors, writing and location are spot on.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To disagree with a non-villain character is quite rare.

Do you remember when Vaughn Leland had them trapped, and the Ewings needed to sign over the rights to drill on section 40?
Vaughn was trying to keep everything business like, but Miss Ellie was having none of it. Watch for this small moment:

Vaughn tries to hand her a pen, and without a word she just refuses it and pulls one out of her purse.

Such quiet dignity.

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you remember when Vaughn Leland had them trapped, and the Ewings needed to sign over the rights to drill on section 40?
Vaughn was trying to keep everything business like, but Miss Ellie was having none of it. Watch for this small moment:

Vaughn tries to hand her a pen, and without a word she just refuses it and pulls one out of her purse.

Such quiet dignity.
Of course. Great, emotional scene although nothing much happened.
Again: Character-driven, not plot-driven.

No greeting then she entered the room and in the end no goodbyes, only "Take me home, jock."

She managed to portray several emotions in one scene - sorrow, disappointment, weariness on the one hand and steadfastness, resilience and chin up on the other.