• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

I like the new distinguished look of the forum

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's as if we're now allowed to take ourselves more seriously.
The colour also reminds me of the first make-over of Gordon Hamilton's living room. Very classy indeed.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I miss the "mood settings" and the forum banners. :(

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I miss the "mood settings" and the forum banners. :(

It doesnt mean they have gone for good. But trying to reduce the number of calls to the database as I test it.

Moods will return.

The banners for example don't show on mobile devices. So we also need to see how many people these serve.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Only 2 images per post? I like to include them with my reviews.

I understand that and we will review it but us hosting a large number of images has a cost impact.

How many do you use in a single post?

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I understand that and we will review it but us hosting a large number of images has a cost impact.

How many do you use in a single post?
This may be less convenient but can't everyone host their images on another site such as Imgur and just link to them on this forum? It's what I always do. Does that also impact on your storage costs?

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never ever really notice such things. And I’ve been here 13 years.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This may be less convenient but can't everyone host their images on another site such as Imgur and just link to them on this forum? It's what I always do. Does that also impact on your storage costs?

Yep, no it doesnt. That would be the preferred method.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
4 to 6 per episode (400x300...pixsels?)
With DALLAS, I posted the images and built the review around them (if that makes sense)

Ok, we can look into it. The main issuse the size so they will need optimising. Some images are are massive file sizes ( not yours I don't think).

It's like overfilling a boat and we are currently creaking under the strain.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yep, no it doesnt. That would be the preferred method.
Well in that case, and if it saves money, you should consider stopping forum members posting any images directly to your servers and instead to link to an image hosting site instead. It's a really easy process, doesn't take very long to do and the final result looks the same.

I don't think I've ever posted an image to Soapchat directly and it's never been a problem for me.

Last edited:

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well in that case, and if it saves money, you should consider stopping forum members posting any images directly to your servers and instead to link to an image hosting site instead. It's a really easy process, doesn't take very long to do and the final result looks the same.

Thanks. I think Ome made a good point that people were using Photobucket and apparently you now have to pay, I gather there is some limit to the image sites? I will need to take a look at the ones you mention.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks. I think Ome made a good point that people were using Photobucket and apparently you now have to pay, I gather there is some limit to the image sites? I will need to take a look at the ones you mention.
I've been using Imgur for several years now and it's free. I'm not sure if there are any storage limits or limits to the size of images you can upload but I've not yet had any problems or restrictions uploading anything I need to link to. There are other similar sites too such as Postimgage and Tinypic.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
^
Interesting idea, Angela. I use tumblr for the bitch-slap & Sable Colby gifs but I had never considered saving images there.

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I try to be mindful of any images being uploaded to this forum and have upload several of them to be posted in the Dallas section for other members to use if they want in their conversations after my use. Anything else I use free remote image host such as ImgBB, Imgur, and Postimages. For the longest time I didn't even know one could use this feature beside for one's avatar. :crazyme:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One question. Does the EXP: 3 years under my avatar imply I have 3 years experience or I will expire in 3 years? :D

You will expire!!!!!

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't like the "EXP:"-Banner. There is already the feature "Member since", so it's really of no use to give that same info now twice with the new banner.