If you voted for Brexit, I hope you're happy

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
...because you have helped to damage our country significantly.

This is not a continuation of what Brextremists like to call "Project Fear" but real hard fact. The following are just a few of the consequences of our foolhardy decision to vote to leave the EU:
  1. There's been a run on the pound which have plunged in value against major currencies increasing the cost of imported goods. It's lost a fifth of its value against the US dollar alone.
  2. The UK will have to pay at least £40 billion in the Brexit divorce bill.
  3. Uncertainty about the Northern Irish border risks destabilising the Peace Accord.
  4. UK is losing influence internationally as show by us losing our seat on International Court of Justice for first time since 1946.
  5. The UK has already lost 2 European Agencies: Paris has taken the European Banking Authority and European Medicines Agency has gone to Amsterdam at the cost of over 1000 jobs in the UK.
  6. Hate crime has soared in the UK encouraged by xenophobic anti-European rhetoric.
  7. Economic growth in the UK has fallen sharply.
  8. Many major and smaller companies are moving operations out of Britain. For example, Barclays bank is moving its headquarters to Dublin, Goldman Sachs is moving many of its operations to New York and Diageo is moving vodka production out of the UK. The cost in jobs is already many thousands.
  9. Staff shortages in the NHS are worsening due to massive falls in EU health care professionals being willing to work here. For example, there has been a 96% fall in the number of nurses registering to work here.
  10. Households are more than £400-a-year worse off as a result of inflation caused by the Brexit vote.
This is just some of the ways in which the Brexit vote has already began damaging us and we haven't even left the EU yet.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The cost of the Brexit disaster just keeps on rising. In his budget today the Chancellor allocated £3bn more of the money we pay in taxes to fund the horror of Brexit and only £2.8bn extra for NHS which is in crisis.

He also said that the rate of growth in our economy will fall by a quarter this year, almost certainly as a result of leaving the EU.

Brexit is proving to be an absolute total car crash for our country.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Can anyone who voted for Brexit explain what their solution is to the issue of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic or did you just not care?

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) forecasts higher UK unemployment, weakening economic growth, falling consumer confidence and collapse in investment. They expect UK growth to fall to 1.2% in 2018, 1.1% 2019, from only 1.5% for 2017 (1.8% in 2016). They have concluded that this downturn will argely be down to Brexit.

OECD unveils gloomy outlook for the UK economy

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Theresa May's government has agreed to pay the EU £50 billion in a leave settlement but the final bill could be significantly more. Just think how many teachers that could pay for, how many doctors that could pay to train or how many homes that could build. People who voted for Brexit, that's what you voted for, I hope you're happy.

UK could pay £50bn Brexit divorce bill after bowing to EU pressure

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
God that's offensive. Offensive and frightening.

It is frightening. I'm not sure how people in the UK were meant to comprehend Brexit and what it would mean for the future when there's obviously a huge problem in the understanding of their own Union. It must be incredibly hard for the Unionists in Northern Ireland to be humiliated like this time and time again by people on the "mainland". At least the rest of us can laugh at it.

And I love how the border is now Ireland's problem. It's a real shame to see all this bad feeling created again.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
It is frightening. I'm not sure how people in the UK were meant to comprehend Brexit and what it would mean for the future when there's obviously a huge problem in the understanding of their own Union. It must be incredibly hard for the Unionists in Northern Ireland to be humiliated like this time and time again by people on the "mainland". At least the rest of us can laugh at it.

And I love how the border is now Ireland's problem. It's a real shame to see all this bad feeling created again.

My feeling is that many people who voted Brexit just didn't care about Northern Ireland but now we all have do deal with the consequence of their selfish and wreckless decision.

If the Good Friday Agreement unravels as a result of us leaving the EU, it will be no laughing matter.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's just those petty Irish making trouble again because they lost.

Lost what? Leave of their senses? No.... That would be those who voted to leave the EU.

And the guy suggesting that what would really solve the problem and be in everyone's best interest is if Ireland also leave the EU? He deduced this by what? His own singular feelings over those of an entire country? Moronic.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
As I said before, I'm sick to death of NI being the 'snatter' on the end of England's nose.

NI needs to be separate and if that means a united Ireland - bring it on.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs

Absolutely hilarious....coming from the DUP! (in reference to the Government)

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42192372

Sinn Féin has said the DUP was bluffing when it warned that its deal to support the Conservative government could be jeopardised by Brexit negotiations.

On Thursday, the DUP's Sammy Wilson said any attempt to "placate Dublin and the EU" could mean a withdrawal of DUP support at Westminster.

He was responding to reports of a possible strategy to deal with the Irish border after Brexit.

Sinn Féin's Gerry Kelly said he did not believe the threat was serious.

"In my opinion he's bluffing," Mr Kelly said.

"There is a great fear of the Labour Party getting in from the DUP and I think if the bluff was called, you would soon find out what exactly was behind it."

He added: "I think they are serious in their beliefs, they have said them, they have articulated them - you have to give them that.

Have to agree with Gerry Kelly on this one. DUP are full of hot air. (and shit)

Canon

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The DUP are standing in the way of a potential deal where, unlike the rest of the UK, NI would remain in the single market and customs union. This is something Nicola Sturgeon desperately wants for Scotland. The Tories would probably agree to the deal for NI just to get the border issue dealt with. Yet the DUP don't want it because they don't want to be seen to be different from the rest of the UK. How can the Northern Irish put up with this?

Canon

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Donald Tusk -

"Let me say very clearly: If the UK offer is unacceptable for Ireland, it will also be unacceptable for the EU. I realise that for some British politicians this may be hard to understand, but such is the logic behind the fact that Ireland is an EU member while the UK is leaving." he said.

"This is why the key to the UK’s future lies - in some ways - in Dublin."

Canon

LV

Reaction score
Awards
For a surprising number of British people, Ireland is independent only in an abstract, technical sense. The current, controversial British opinion is that we should, by allowing at least the possibility of a harder border with one part of the UK, become more foreign than much of Britain really believes us to be. Therein lies the paradox.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...go-on-please-pretty-please-1.3309639?mode=amp

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has any supporter of Brexit come up with a workable solution to the issue of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic?

Canon

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has any supporter of Brexit come up with a workable solution to the issue of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic?

Well to make the point again, there was a certain ignorance in the UK as to how much of an issue the border would be in the event of Brexit. It's hard to blame the people who voted for Brexit when it comes the border issue, to care they would have had to understand it. The whole border thing was well reported here before the referendum because we live with the consequences of a partitioned island all year round. And it'll always go back to this lack of understanding of the relationship of the island of Ireland to the UK. The whole system let people down on this.