Dallas Character J.R.'s daughter

K

Karin Schill

I agree that it's a shame Warner didn't allow a Netflix deal. I mean the new Dynasty has even worse ratings than Dallas TNT had and it's still on the air. They also have longer seasons.

I wish the new Dallas had had 22 episodes/season. It would have given the show better pacing and time to focus on the characters instead of just cramming in as many plots as possible in a short time frame.

JR's daughter would have been interesting. But I also really wanted to see Lucas.

I liked Jesse Metcalfe as Christopher. :)

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree that it's a shame Warner didn't allow a Netflix deal. I mean the new Dynasty has even worse ratings than Dallas TNT had and it's still on the air. They also have longer seasons.

I wish the new Dallas had had 22 episodes/season. It would have given the show better pacing and time to focus on the characters instead of just cramming in as many plots as possible in a short time frame.

JR's daughter would have been interesting. But I also really wanted to see Lucas.

If I recall on a few of those viewer feedback forum viewer things, Christoper didn't rate well.

K

Karin Schill

I think the fans were divided on Christopher on here too. Some fans didn't like him and were annoyed with how he talked etc.
I was not one of them though. Then again I already liked Jesse Metcalfe from having watched him on Desperate Housewives prior to him coming on Dallas. :)

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Yes, 22 episodes a season would have been much, much better. 10 hours isn't a season; it's a miniseries.

I agree that seeing Lucas would have been interesting. He could have been a very interesting character given that he wasn't raised by his father and could have felt like he got cheated out of the opportunities that Christopher had. I picture Lucas resenting Christopher and therefore their relationship being very tense - more than Christopher's relationship with John Ross.

JR's daughter could have been very interesting as well. I think it would have been easy enough to say that JR got wrong information from the detective he hired to find Cally and that JR's child with Cally was a girl. Having a female Ewing heir would have added another dimension to the show and would have allowed for a greater range of possible storylines than only having sons would.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you remember how John Ross rated?

Nope, but I would guess that he rated highly for women and men in younger and key demos.

The thing is that us oldies who watched original Dallas were not the demo they were chasing.

Although John Ross was ok, I do think the casting was wrong for both him and Christopher. They just seemed and acted like high school kids.

They were not good enough to carry the show.

They also felt that many of the original actors were stuck with a talent that worked in the 80's. Linda Gray was one and her part limited initially. Hence why Linda was not really up for doing it. She would have won the election and exited the show and had a bit part.

So it was all a bit of a weird mess on what they were doing. But they changed things.

It wasn't until they knew the show was in a state collapse that they decided to court fans of the original series. But it was all a little too late.

I have never watched it again, I enjoyed moments. I was one person who wasn't overly bothered about it paying homage to the original , but it just didn't feel interesting enough to keep me watching.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Although John Ross was ok, I do think the casting was wrong for both him and Christopher. They just seemed and acted like high school kids.

They were not good enough to carry the show.

I agree with all of that.

They also felt that many of the original actors were stuck with a talent that worked in the 80's. Linda Gray was one and her part limited initially. Hence why Linda was not really up for doing it. She would have won the election and exited the show and had a bit part.

I think talent is talent. It's not something that only works in one decade.

It wasn't until they knew the show was in a state collapse that they decided to court fans of the original series. But it was all a little too late.

Did they decide to do that? They may have, but to me it looked like they went in the opposite direction. The last season was less similar to Dallas than the first two seasons were.