Jeremy Wendell > Carter McKay/Season 12

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The departure of Smithers was such an own goal. I didn't mind him not being in every episode. In fact, I think this made his appearances all the more engaging....but to replace him with McKay was just stupid. It's not that Kennedy was a poor actor it's the fact (as other have stated) that viewers had not the slightest idea what he wanted or what his motivation was. For any drama, let alone the high octane kind we find in a soap, that is a dreadful predicament to put an actor in.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The departure of Smithers was such an own goal. I didn't mind him not being in every episode. In fact, I think this made his appearances all the more engaging....but to replace him with McKay was just stupid. It's not that Kennedy was a poor actor it's the fact (as other have stated) that viewers had not the slightest idea what he wanted or what his motivation was. For any drama, let alone the high octane kind we find in a soap, that is a dreadful predicament to put an actor in.

Carter McKay suffered the same fate as April Stevens. April started out as a gold digger and then became Saint April, all sweetness and light. McKay started out as a bit of a villain with the range war, then became friendly but still a bit adversarial before going full on nuts when he killed Tommy by mistake. The characterisation was all over the place and what didn't help was the lack lustre writing on the show at this point.

Comparing him to the great Jeremy Wendell does seem unfair but to be honest William Smithers was the better actor. He was able to convey his power and evilness fully whenever he was on screen. Kennedy just couldn't do that. I honestly think George was miscast in the role. As others have said they maybe should've cast another actor in that role who could've done it justice. :)

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Agree that Jeremy Wendell was a much better character than Carter McKay.

However George Kennedy was not a poor actor - far from it

From wiki

"George Harris Kennedy Jr.[1] (February 18, 1925 – February 28, 2016) was an American actor who appeared in more than 100 film and television productions. He played "Dragline" in Cool Hand Luke (1967), winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the role and being nominated for the corresponding Golden Globe. He received a second Golden Globe nomination for portraying Joe Patroni in Airport (1970)."

He also had a distinguished military career
"Kennedy enlisted in the United States Army during World War II in 1943. He served 16 years, reaching the rank of captain. Kennedy served in the infantry under George S. Patton, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and earned two Bronze Stars. He re-enlisted after the war, and he was discharged in the late 1950s due to a back injury.[2][3][5]"
He also has a star on the Walk of Fame.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Paulsen left a year after Victoria -- the last DALLAS felt like DALLAS. And even that year getting kind of creaky, what with pattern of annual gaffe already having kicked in.

Yeah his last year was the season were we got that ridiculous Mummy Pam storyline which I wouldn't be surprised if that storyline got sanctioned off by Leonard Katzman! I remember seeing a video where Katzman briefly discussed Victoria leaving but added he wanted to explore if Pam lived or died, so it's more likely than not he had a hand in that storyline strand for that season.

A pity Paulsen left, Dallas usually was far better written and plotted when he was there. :(

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Westar was considered one of the "big oil" companies, almost on par with BP and Exxon. So being the chairman would have been something JR would have wanted. Ewing Oil might have been his daddy's company, but being the chairperson of a company as big as Westar has way more clout and JR would have been a much bigger player in the oil industry.
I had never thought of that. Thanks for the explanation. I do agree that the Ewings needed an adversary who could give them a good fight. In the beginning that was Cliff Barnes before the writers made him a power hungry buffoon who always lost to JR.

Carter McKay had possibilities but explored. Did not care for his loser son Tommy.

I agree with everyone that Jeremy Wendell was a great villain and his downfall was awful. I would have loved to have seen him again on Dallas TNT instead of that Mexican Cartel nonsense.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would have loved to have seen him again on Dallas TNT instead of that Mexican Cartel nonsense.
It has been previously mentioned in another thread it should have been Jeremy Wendell stepping off the Learjet at the end of season 1 of TNT Dallas. I think original fans of Dallas would have salivated at this and could have led to an interesting story with circumstance surrounding JR's death.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
were we got that ridiculous Mummy Pam storyline which I wouldn't be surprised if that storyline got sanctioned off by Leonard Katzman!
I'm thinking killing off Bobby and then have him spin in the shower with such disastrous results had the producers baffled as to what to do with Pam...in the event Victoria decided to return. However, with all stories dispensed with from the dream season, viewers were also departing Dallas. Victoria bolted at the right time. I like the idea of toying with the idea "is she or isn't she" alive scenerio and I'm guessing that was their plan. Did Katherine have anything to do with Pam's disappearance? It would have been great to explore this option with on location filming in Europe.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I've said, I consider the clunkily unconvincing removal of Jeremy Wendell one of the great annual gaffes of DALLAS that began when Donna Reed stepped off that plane.

Mis-Ellie
The Dream explanation
Pam disappears and nobody cares
Wendell's arrest
Lady Jessica's murder spree played for laughs

So many to choose from, and too many to keep up with...

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
William Smithers joined Sheree J Wilson on an episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" (Season 3, episode 9, 1994)

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
And William Smithers will be 97 this year!

The photo is from his outing on the original Star Trek series, Bread & Circuses.

He's deliciously evil in it but the character gets his redemption helping Captain Kirk and the landing party before he's killed.

Smithers style of underplaying the role is very evident in this episode and I wonder did the Dallas Producers ever see it before they cast him as Jeremy Wendell on the show?

Such a wonderful actor and still with us at 96, god bless him. I really must try and get a signed photo of him because he was fabulous as Jeremy Wendell. I will always love his performance during season ten especially when he reveals to JR that he was behind the Justice department shutting down Ewing Oil. JR looked utterly defeated and angry that Wendell had finally gotten the better of him. :)

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
JR looked utterly defeated and angry that Wendell had finally gotten the better of him.
Once again the writers using furnishings to great effect. This scene could have been played out in JR's office however it was decided to use the portrait of Jock behind JR when Jeremy offered the grim news. Brilliant.