Coronation Street Jim McDonald Appreciation Thread

soapfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jim McDonald was the Phil Mitchell of Coronation street, so he was. Having said that, he was at his best in 1989-2000 when he had a moustache, but actor Charles Lawson criticised the show for ruining the character.

http://www.tvthrong.co.uk/2010/12/c...-mcdonald-and-the-queens-praise-for-the-show/

Below is avatar/montage of what Jim McDonald would look like IF he goes back to the old Jim McDonald of 1989-2000 and not the Jim McDonald he became.

upload_2018-3-13_23-43-30.png

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
OMG he's awful....so he is. I'm from Northern Ireland and it's one of the worst representations of anyone from here.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
he was at his best in 1989-2000 when he had a moustache

I still grieve for Kevin Webster's moustache. Things just haven't been the same since it escaped and returned to the wild.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I'll have an Ulster fry

So You'se are - thats the 2 quotes I associate with Jim MacD and using his fists a lot

I still grieve for Kevin Webster's moustache. Things just haven't been the same since it escaped and returned to the wild.

I heard it was last seen running down Canal Street

My dad still asks me 20 years on "if Gail Tilsley ever found her chin!!"

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The actor and the character are both absolute legends, Charlie Lawson a great Northern Ireland supporter wherever he goes.

Very much in stark contrast to someone like Graeme McDowell who is supposedly from Portrush and has invented the most hideously contrived trans-atlantic accent imaginable. Everytime you hear him you want to boke.

Three cheers Charlie Lawson for being genuine and not speaking like a robot!

Swami

soapfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

There's no need to be sarcastic. It's just with soap characters, they tend to have an iconic look about them. For example, Frank Butcher had his long raincoat and trilby hat, Hilda Ogden had the twigs in her hair and Pat Butcher had her earrings, and Dot Cotton and Vera Duckworth had their wigs too.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There's no need to be sarcastic. It's just with soap characters, they tend to have an iconic look about them.

I was agreeing with that very point. Albeit in a lighthearted way.

soapfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OMG he's awful....so he is. I'm from Northern Ireland and it's one of the worst representations of anyone from here.

They spoke like that on Derry Girls on Channel 4 recently too, if you watched that as well? terms like "so it is" and "what in the name of god!!??" being used in the programme.

Come to think of it, what about Phil/Steve McFadden's representation of an English male, do they all sigh/exhale at the end of every sentence after saying a few lines? No I don't think so.

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Jim McDonald is returning to Coronation Street

Coronation Street legend Jim McDonald is making a comeback to the ITV soap in the near future.

Jim, who is played by actor Charlie Lawson, is currently languishing in prison after being jailed for armed robbery in 2011.

But he's due for release in the coming weeks and once he's out, he will be heading straight back to the cobbles.

"They wanted me back full time this year, but I couldn't do it as I am doing Rebus on stage and a thriller," Charlie said (via The Mirror).

"I'm going to film a bit but then will be back again next year."

A spokesperson for the soap said: "Jim is such a hugely popular character. We're delighted he is coming back for what will be a typically explosive Jim storyline."

Jim is expected to return for his son Steve's (Simon Gregson) second wedding to Tracy Barlow (Kate Ford) later this spring.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Excellent news

It's a great move if we get the old Jim back, and totally forget the 'robbing a bank' Jim.

Some things are best left unsaid, never to be mentioned again.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We're delighted he is coming back for what will be a typically explosive Jim

Jim's comeback story will involve this woman

KM.jpg

Who we all thought was dead!!!!

J&L.jpg

L&J.jpg

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I saw this thumbnail on the front page and I thought Linda and Yanni had reunited.

You watch Corrie!!!??? Snarky I’d like your thoughts on our soaps :-D

The closest thing we ever had to having an Alexis type character on our soaps is Kim Tate from Emmerdale (1989-1999, 2018 -

Last edited:

soapfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jim usually returns every 3-4 years, so i'd be very surprised if didn't return by beyond 2022 at the very latest.