Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I just really love the complexity of those lyrics.

Yes. It's incredibly well-written. Even independently of the song and vocals, the lyrics have the wow factor of being very emotionally intelligent.

I also love how connected thematically both WTFH and UMS are--both about someone who has been broken by relationships in the past, wants to embrace new love but is terrified of the possibility.

Yes. I wonder if it will be a recurring theme on the album. Either way, it seems appropriate for the WTFH remixes to appear on the UMS EP package.

his voice just sounds perfectly suited for this type of pop--more so than H's now, in my opinion.

I heartily concur. ;)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Just when I thought I could not love Please Like Me more, Steps have been significant to a number of storylines. And I don't just mean their songs playing in the background. Characters have actually discussed Steps the group and sung along with the tracks (well - 5,6,7,8. Several times). Entire scenes have been devoted to Steps-related exposition.

In the Fourth Episode, the lead character Josh played 5,6,7,8 on the car stereo to cheer up his auntie Peg who had failed her driving test and was in a filthy mood. This led to the dramatic revelation that she didn't like Steps and she and her late husband had only pretended to like them because their great nephew liked Steps so much. From 9:30 below:

Later in the episode, Peg was seen to sit in the car alone listening to 5,6,7,8, with a beer which kind of got her into being OK with Steps. And Josh and his friends were seen to dance along to the same song in a nightclub (all from 20:30 in the video above).

In the Fifth Episode, there was more Steps drama. Auntie Peg stopped the car in the middle of the road, halting the traffic because her depressed niece was refusing to sing along with the chorus to 5,6,7,8. And Josh's boyfriend impressed everyone by singing along to Lee's rap during the verse. At 5 minutes below:

Naturally, I thought it was worth a mention here.

Word on Twitter is this is a good listen

Ooh - thanks. I'll cast my ear over it in the next few days.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Just when I thought I could not love Please Like Me more, Steps have been significant to a number of storylines. And I don't just mean their songs playing in the background. Characters have actually discussed Steps the group and sung along with the tracks (well - 5,6,7,8. Several times). Entire scenes have been devoted to Steps-related exposition.

In the Fourth Episode, the lead character Josh played 5,6,7,8 on the car stereo to cheer up his auntie Peg who had failed her driving test and was in a filthy mood. This led to the dramatic revelation that she didn't like Steps and she and her late husband had only pretended to like them because their great nephew liked Steps so much. From 9:30 below:

Later in the episode, the Peg was seen to sit in the car alone listening to 5,6,7,8, with a beer which kind of got her into being OK with Steps. And Josh and his friends were seen to dance along to the same song in a nightclub (all from 20:30 in the video above).

In the Fifth Episode, there was more Steps drama. Auntie Peg stopped the car in the middle of the road, halting the traffic because her depressed niece was refusing to sing along with the chorus to 5,6,7,8. And Josh's boyfriend impressed everyone by singing along to Lee's rap during the verse. At 5 minutes below:

Naturally, I thought it was worth a mention here.

Hulu recommended Please Like Me ages ago. It’s been in my watchlist forever. I’ve just never gotten around to watching it. I think you’ve just bumped it to the top of the list.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Hulu recommended Please Like Me ages ago. It’s been in my watchlist forever. I’ve just never gotten around to watching it. I think you’ve just bumped it to the top of the list.

Ha ha. The celebration of Steps is definitely as good a reason as any. Even without that, it's a terrific series. I'm coming to the end of the first season and absolutely loving it. It's making me laugh out loud and the dialogue and tone is just so very good. Knowing some of the TV genres you enjoy I'm pretty confident you'll love it.

It's also reminded me that Steps were huge in Australia before even the UK. 5,6,7,8 was #1 there.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Ha ha. The celebration of Steps is definitely as good a reason as any. Even without that, it's a terrific series. I'm coming to the end of the first season and absolutely loving it. It's making me laugh out loud and the dialogue and tone is just so very good. Knowing some of the TV genres you enjoy I'm pretty confident you'll love it.

I'm definitely going to start it. I'm finishing up Schitt's Creek and I'll. need something new to make me laugh.

It's also reminded me that Steps were huge in Australia before even the UK. 5,6,7,8 was #1 there.

I wasn't aware of that.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've just finished the first episode and I'm completely and totally charmed by it. I'll do some more tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

That's great. I'm really happy you're enjoying.

Six episodes in, it's my new best part of the day.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Stomp is 20 years old!

Holy cow. I still think of the Buzz era as new.

I can remember hearing about Stomp for the first time. When I Said Goodbye/Summer Of Love was still floating round the charts. I was with some friends who were also Steps fans. One of them had heard that the title of their upcoming single was Stomp (it was released ahead of the album).

I immediately thought of this song and had nightmarish visions of a novelty single:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm full ready for Something In Your Eyes now. I think the video will lift my spirits and this new song/video will be the kick in the ass I need to get me through these long dark nights of nothing.

Yes... Release it already please.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I was watching Honest Vocal Coach talk about Steps' live performance of What the Future Holds and she pointed out Lee messing up on the choreography. Poor Lee. It's happens about 2:11 where it looks like he forgets the routine and has to look at what the rest of the group is doing to remind himself. I think it's cute. I hope he didn't beat himself up too much afterwards.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I was watching Honest Vocal Coach talk about Steps' live performance of What the Future Holds and she pointed out Lee messing up on the choreography.

Yeah. I didn't notice when I watched the performance, and I only spotted it after reading through some comments when it appeared on YouTube. Looks like he went into the signature "windscreen wiper" move a little early. He recovered from it really well and I love that he smiled through it. I think I even saw a little nose wrinkle.

I think it's cute.

Looking at the YouTube comments, we're not alone in that:

Lee getting the dance wrong at 2:10 makes me love him even more.

When he messed up in the choreography it made me want to kiss and hug him even more <3

Bless Lee messing up the choreography! ‍♂️ we’ve all done it xx

He even laughed, but it's ok

Awwww how cute is Lee forgetting his moves I love him x

There are also oodles of comments about how great he sounds and his general hotness. But that's no surprise.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Something In Your Eyes is out today! Video is out tomorrow!

How exciting!

From the sample in iTunes the arrangement sounds very close to the Jenny Silver version.

The costumes are kind of One For Sorrow meets Boney M. (and Lee's tinfoil trousers remind me of the "silver" performance of Better Best Forgotten on TOTP).

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Ok so I love this! I just wish it was at least 40 seconds longer. Although I don't know how they could have extended it and made it work. It's just so short and seems to be so much shorter than most of their songs. This one really needs a 7th Heaven mix! It really has the feel of early Steps and of course it's very ABBA which is very them. I love the little ABBA "Ahhhh Ahhhhh" bits they have added and the little harmony bit towards the end. It's really giving me first album feels. I cant wait to see the video now.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's just so short and seems to be so much shorter than most of their songs.

I think of LTOMM as the template for Steps perfection, and the running time almost matches here, so I'm happy.

It really has the feel of early Steps and of course it's very ABBA which is very them.

It's pure As Good As New, isn't it? But because of the Eighties vibe I can also hear Bucks Fizz in there. Especially in the heavily auto-tuned part at 2:05.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I think of LTOMM as the template for Steps perfection, and the running time almost matches here, so I'm happy.
Oh yes and it has that same vibe as LTOMM too. It sounds very Step One to me. It's the perfect ABBA on speed sound they became famous for.
It's pure As Good As New, isn't it? But because of the Eighties vibe I can also hear Bucks Fizz in there. Especially in the heavily auto-tuned part at 2:05.
I had to go back and listen to As Good As New and wow... That's very similar. It's like if As Good As New was addicted to poppers and was podium dancer in a gay club. I could also hear the '80s vibe too. Very Bucks Fizz!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I think just wishing Steps songs were a bit longer is a running theme with me. I'm so greedy!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes and it has that same vibe as LTOMM too.

Yes. It's definitely got their early feelgood sunny pop going on.

It sounds very Step One to me. It's the perfect ABBA on speed sound they became famous for.

Funnily enough hearing it instantly made me think of Steptacular tracks like LGAHOMH and Never Say Never Again. But their first two albums were quite similar in tone, and I can hear some Step One going on as well. It's a bit like a pumped up Back To You.

It's like if As Good As New was addicted to poppers and was podium dancer in a gay club.
I think just wishing Steps songs were a bit longer is a running theme with me. I'm so greedy!

These comments both made me grin.