Picture quality season 9 (10DVD)

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
We have Lorimar-Telepictures Chuck Silvers to thank for the drastic decline in the Dallas picture quality. He was the main advocate of the electronic post production of Lorimar's TV output in 1986, and from 1986-89 Dallas was edited on the Ediflex system. Silvers once said that viewers in the future would only want to see film shot sitcoms in high quality and everything else was inconsequential. He was clearly mad, but his electronic post production process did lead the way to a higher quality digital editing process in the 90's and HD.

Joseph Dervin Jr., vice president of Aaron Spelling Productions, creator of ''Dynasty'' - avoided the electronic post editing system because they couldn't take advantage of the saving involved in putting finishing touches on broadcast tape. They finished their work on film to satisfy European buyers who demanded film copies. Eventually they succomed to editing on the higher quality laser disc.

Leonard Katzman was never happy with the poorer Dallas picture quality and by the final season the show was once again being edited on the old style 35mm process. A physical film print exists of that season.

Warner's still retain all 35mm elements for the 14 Dallas seasons. However the condition of the print elements from 1986-89 are unknown.

All I want to say is that Chuck Silvers needs a massive kick up the backside for what he did to Dallas and all the other Lorimar shows of that era.

I hope he's proud of himself for the lacklustre picture quality of Dallas season ten and all the other Lorimar shows he screwed over. :(

Garry

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Beautiful...and I'm not talking about April Stevens. I don't suppose @Garry there has been any word on a Blu-Ray release of our beloved television series?
Since the Warner internal restructuring over a year ago things have gone quiet but they said it was on their schedule. But streaming was always going to be the top priority in the beginning.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
This is one season that I badly want to see on Blu-ray simply because of the wonderful performance of the late Steve Forrest as Wes Parmalee. The brief chemistry he had with Barbara Bel Geddes in all the scenes they shared was electrifying to watch.

The scene where he kissed her was so tenderly done. You could see the pent up frustration and longing in Barbara's reaction to him which conveyed Miss Ellie's feelings over whether Wes could indeed be her former husband Jock Ewing. :)

FB_IMG_1620765691581.jpg

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Looking at that HD picture I wish they'd kept Steve Forrest on the show as Jock because he had far better chemistry and charisma with Barbara Bel Geddes than Howard Keel did. :)