Random things you hate

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Radio newsreaders who can't read.

There are some who pause in odd places and emphasise wrong words, making them sound, at best, like they've never seen the copy before going on the air, or, at worst, like they don't understand what they're reading.

There's one in particular who's halting delivery is quite painful to listen to. He reminds of the kids at school who would lose their place at the end of every line. I can't imagine how he keeps his job, much less be regarded with the reverence in which his colleagues claim to hold him.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The "consolidation" of local radio stations in the US has resulted in some interesting issues along these lines. Once upon a time we had a lot of radio stations owned locally--that is, a mom-and-pop kind of operation that served the community well because the owners were locals. As the conglomerates bought up stations all over the country, a lot of the DJ's were laid off and replaced with syndicated programming that might be produced to air in hundreds of markets. Even the 'local news updates' could be recorded many miles out of the locality. One "weatherman" could be doing segments for hundreds of stations. It makes the programming bland and you never really know if that DJ is a real person or some sort of computer-generated voice/AI monstrosity. You also waved good-bye to on-air interactions with the DJ's (calling in requests, etc.) because the only employee at the station might just be a broadcast engineer hooking up the satellite feeds.

We had a weatherman on a station airing out of West Palm Beach who would regularly butcher the names of the local landmarks, which revealed (to those who didn't already know) that this guy was recording a segment from far away, using weather data he likely got off weather.com or some such. We'd also get those laughable "Fast Weather" updates where they prattle on about a low chance of rain--as the whole town is underneath a thunderstorm at that very moment.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
they prattle on about a low chance of rain--as the whole town is underneath a thunderstorm at that very moment.
This also applies to commercial television stations here in Australia. Newcastle is about 1½ to 2 hours drive north of Sydney. Newcastle could be experiencing flood like conditions and might receive a 30 second snippet in the nightly NEWS. Sydney receives a sprinkle and the newsreaders treat it like it's the end of the world. Apparently Sydney only experiences extreme weather events.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It informs me the talent is in the creation of their stage name rather than their ability to sing/rap.

Oh, I don't know about that.

Try these two little beauties

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I don’t know why, the name just gives me hives!!!! I sound like Katie Hopkins!!

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hate the word lunch, and LUNCHEON is even worse. Don't ever try to trick me into a luncheon appointment because the only thing you'll be chewing is the sole of my boot.

And for that matter, what is with those commercials of old where supermarkets were advertised as selling luncheon meats?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, now they're throwing around the term "charcuterie," not lowly 'luncheon meat" or [shudders] "cold cuts". [/nose in the air] Though I always thought charcuterie was the place where you bought cold cuts/luncheon meats, not the actual meats. My French is rusty as hell.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always been kind of grossed-out by the sight of someone getting a shot (not getting shot, but getting an injection). Now, there are nightly stories on the news about the vaccines being distributed, and the only real "visuals" they can put with the stories are.....yes, back-to-back videos of people getting jabbed. I have to keep averting my eyes to stop seeing this endless parade of hypodermics.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watching people getting injected with a shot doesn’t really bother me. It actually bothers me a lot more to see someone get their blood drawn. That’s when I have to usually turn my head. Yet when I get my own blood drawn it doesn’t bother me one bit. I actually like watching them do it, if that makes any sense at all

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Customers who refuse to apologize for there errant behaviour.
At work yesterday there was a bit of commotion occurring at the front of store. A team member asked if I could get involved. When I approached said customer she began having a go at me. Her words. "Every time I come into this store there is always a problem." When I enquired what problem she was experiencing today she said she was there to pick up an order which nobody could find. When I asked to see her confirmation order she proceeded to wave her smartphone around. I asked her to stop waving the smartphone around. This wound her up even more. I asked her to zoom in on the email. Again, I asked her to zoom in on a particular section. I said. "I see what the problem is." Her response? "Which is?"

"Your at the wrong store! You've selected our other store in another suburb for collection."​

She then proceeded to walk out without an apology. My response? "Thank you for coming. Have a nice day."

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I don't know why, so please don't ask me but I cannot stand the following phrases:

"See the New Year In" - I don't know why!!

"Mother and baby are doing well" - can we not just say Sarah's fine and baby Sue Ellen is gorgeous?

"A wee Christmas box" - it is NEVER boxed shaped!!!! Don't hand me a pair of socks and say 'here's your wee Christmas box love"!!!!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I hate showering in the ball Baltic freezing weather of N Ireland. It’s lovely and warm and then you get out and your nipples are like rhino horns.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hate CDs with the movements of a symphony spread over multiple discs. Some Mahler symphonies are long enough to require more than one disc but most of the time this is done to reduce the number of discs in a set.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hate people that see a need to walk or jog in the middle of the street. I understand ur social distancing from the people walking or jogging around you and I respect that but I don’t see the common sense in exercising in the line of oncoming traffic either

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You listen to classical music? Have you always liked it?
I started listening to Classical Music at a fairly early age, my Mom's record collection was mostly Pop and Standards (my parents had me late in life so their taste was more from the 40s - my Mom jitterbugged as a teen!) with some light Classical pieces mixed in. It was the Classical music that really appealed to me. I listened to Pop music also but found a Classical radio station and became a regular listener. A moment that cemented my love for Classical music (especially the music of Tchaikovsky) was listening to Tchaikovsky's "Winter Dreams" symphony on the radio while watching snow fall outside my window, it was as if the snow was falling in sync with the music.

My Mom started collecting the Funk and Wagnall's "Family Library of Great Music" LPs - at the grocery store! - these came with a booklet with information about the composer, the works on the record and the culture of the time. I eventually discovered Donna Summer and other Pop artists that appealed to me. My taste in music is eclectic with my CD collection (over 2,500) being half Classical and the other half a mix of Pop/R & B/Standards.