1. Red Rock
  2. Shortland Street
  3. Châteauvallon

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1) Glenroe: Irish farming life down in Co. Wicklow and village shenanigans. As the show's 18 year duration went on saucier aspects came into the equation, along with all the usual soapy stuff. IMHO a much missed soap opera, from the Emerald Isle.

2) Red Rock: I probably watched about two complete episodes but there were fine drama ingredients exhibited, from what I did see.

3) Rederiet: Having heard a lot about this Swedish show I think 3rd place is in order.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. RED ROCK for me, LOVE/HATE’s slightly less sweary, slightly less bloody but still enjoyably grubby cousin.

2. GLENROE, never seen it but it sounds lovely.

3. VARUHUSET, never seen it but it sounds mental.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The folks at Chateauvallon are correct, vote for the soap operas you would like to see in the next round before the poll closes at midday tomorrow.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here are my votes

1) SHORTLAND STREET - I have to pick this as my first choice as it the only one of the soaps listed that I've actually seen. I've watched the episodes produced between 1992 (its inception) and 1995 when these were shown on Granada daytime before it was inexplicably dropped from the TV schedules.

Certainly during the era of the show that I watched, it was like a more modern day version of The Young Doctors which is perhaps not all that surprising given that for a time both shows shared the same producer in Alan Coleman.

The characters I remember are Kirsty and Lionel who had a mobile kiosk trolley (similar to Ada Simmonds on TYD), clinic director Michael McKenna (smilar to Brian Denham on TYD), his faithful secretary Jenny Harrison (similar to Helen Gordon on TYD) plus an assortment of dashing young doctors and pretty young nurses.

The show is also to be revered for its longevity - 27 years young and still going strong just behind Neighbours and Home and Away in the longest running drama serial stakes.

2) RADIO WAVES - I like the concept of this show which is similar to the Australian soap, The Box, albeit that this was set in a radio, rather than tv station. Also notable for having Alan Dale in its cast.

3) GLOSS - again I like the description of this series, it sounds like a NZ version of Dynasty.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1) SHORTLAND STREET - I have to pick this as my first choice as it the only one of the soaps listed that I've actually seen. I've watched the episodes produced between 1992 (its inception) and 1995 when these were shown on Granada daytime before it was inexplicably dropped from the TV schedules.

Shortland Street's lack of success in the UK always surprises me. It's no worse than any of the other soapy daytime fare from overseas that UK viewers lapped up over the years, so I don't know how it hasn't clicked. Even on Living, where ratings expectations would be significantly less than on ITV, it was still dumped from the schedules after only a few months.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The final 2 shows to qualify for the World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

Red Rock - 14 points
Chateauvallon - 13 points

The line up of the 32 soap operas that will compete to win the World Cup of Soap Operas is now complete. Thank you to everyone who voted in this and the previous qualification rounds. I will put the names of qualifying soaps into the fixture software and post details of the first 2 knock out matches tomorrow.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Here are my votes

Certainly during the era of the show that I watched, it was like a more modern day version of The Young Doctors which is perhaps not all that surprising given that for a time both shows shared the same producer in Alan Coleman.

The characters I remember are Kirsty and Lionel who had a mobile kiosk trolley (similar to Ada Simmonds on TYD), clinic director Michael McKenna (smilar to Brian Denham on TYD), his faithful secretary Jenny Harrison (similar to Helen Gordon on TYD) plus an assortment of dashing young doctors and pretty young nurses.

The show is also to be revered for its longevity - 27 years young and still going strong just behind Neighbours and Home and Away in the longest running drama serial stakes.

2) RADIO WAVES - I like the concept of this show which is similar to the Australian soap, The Box, albeit that this was set in a radio, rather than tv station. Also notable for having Alan Dale in its cast.

3) GLOSS - again I like the description of this series, it sounds like a NZ version of Dynasty.
Interestingly the first year of Shortland Street is now on YouTube.

Looking at it again having seen it previously on Tyne Tees, it's like a version of The Young Doctors pitched at the 1975-type audience. (Apt, considering half of The 1975 come from the Granada area, which broadcast it at teatime briefly).

Last edited: