Seinfeld Turns 30 - Share Your Memories!

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Seinfeld premiered 30 years ago today. In the middle of the summer, because no one really believed in it.
Jerry Seinfeld & Larry David had one strong concept: "no hugs - no learning". And with that, they revolutionised the standard TV sitcom.

What are your favorite memories of Seinfeld?
Which character did you like best?
What minor character did you appreciate most?
What episodes do you remember most?

Share your Seinfeld memories!

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So many! Second best sitcom of all time(I Love Lucy gets the top spot for me:yeah:
Some Seinfeld favorites that come to mind:
"Pulp.can move, baby!"
Molly Shannon as the straight-armed nemesis of Elaine.
Master of your domain.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."
"Swarm! Swarm!"
The marble rye.
Festivus, a holiday for the rest of us.
First and First: The nexus of the universe.
The Jesus Fish episode.
Poppy making pizza for Jerry.
The backwards episode.
All the episodes with poor Susan.
The tip jar.

I could go on and on:)

Favorite of the four main characters: I liked them all. I can't settle on just one
Minor characters: So many great ones, but I think George's parents would be the ones who always made me laugh.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My favorite character is George, followed by Elaine. George is quite pathetic at times because he can never accept being proven wrong. I love that about him. And Elaine is hilarious when she gets annoyed or angry.

I have so many favorite scenes that I can't even think of one to mention. This is a series that I can rewatch many times. It doesn't get old.

I agree with @Snarky's Ghost that the end way very overly critizised. I even thought it was good. It wrapped the whole thing up nicely with lots of characters returning and remembering how they had been wronged by these 4 very selfish people. I wonder how all the people who were upset wanted it to end. Happily? Heart-warming? What?

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the 1998 finale is way over-criticized.

I agree. They even joke about that on Curb Your Enthusiasm when Jason Alexander mocks it and Larry David is, "What was so bad about it?"

It was a good way to end the series. We got to see a lot of old favorite characters. Also, they end up in a prison talking about the same thing they did in the first episode. It fit the whole existential "trapped in a meaningless world" theme.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never understood the criticism either. I'll go so far and say it is one of the best series ending episodes I've witnessed.

Seinfeld is one of those series which crept up on me. I don't recall watching it from the get go but stumbled upon a repeat episode one day and couldn't stop watching. I now have the box-set in my possession.

Favourite character for me is George.

Secondary character? Hello...Newman

Favourite episode? The Soup Nazi...kills me everytime

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jerry Seinfeld just did a GQ interview where he said that during his recent experience making UNFROSTED, a comedy about a competition between two rival breakfast companies, that the film’s makers appeared to have “no idea” that the industry was dead. “They’re so dead serious! They don’t have any idea that the movie business is over. They have no idea,” he said.

Genocide Jerry seemed to be expressing his opinion that the industry lives in a bubble of denial (and that my impression as well, albeit from a great distance). He added, "But film doesn’t occupy the pinnacle in the social, cultural hierarchy that it did for most of our lives.”

When asked what he thought had replaced films, Seinfeld went on to describe a series of dissatisfied and distracted emotions.

“Depression? Malaise? I would say confusion. Disorientation replaced the movie business. Everyone I know in show business, every day, is going, ‘What’s going on? How do you do this? What are we supposed to do now?’”

Seinfeld also told GQ that while a lot of people liked the NEWHART finale in 1990, and he felt the MARY TYLER MOORE finale in 1977 was "okay," he loved the MAD MEN finale the best.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The best series finale I've ever seen was in THE AMERICANS. I would re-watch all of it because of that conclusion.

Sorry, this is about SEINFELD.
But I've never watched it (except for the odd scene here and there) so...no memories from me.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Loved it when it was on. Watched it religiously and hardly ever missed an episode. I have to admit though when I see it now it doesn’t quite hold up the same for me. I definitely found it more humorous back then.

Figuring out the identity of the second spitter behind the fence was always one of my favorite episodes.

“Not that there’s anything wrong with that” remains my favorite phrase from the show.

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of my all time favourites. It’s one of those shows which gets better with every rewatch. Kramer is currently my favourite - Michael is a modern day Chaplin or Keaton with his physicality.
It’s also one of those rare shows which gets better and better as it goes on. Most shows high points are the first couple of years but Seinfeld peaks in season 7 for me.

Where’s my Blu-Ray boxset Sony?!?!?!

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of my all time favourites. It’s one of those shows which gets better with every rewatch. Kramer is currently my favourite - Michael is a modern day Chaplin or Keaton with his physicality.
It’s also one of those rare shows which gets better and better as it goes on. Most shows high points are the first couple of years but Seinfeld peaks in season 7 for me.

Where’s my Blu-Ray boxset Sony?!?!?!
I never could take much of Kramer except for in very small doses but he did have a knack for stealing the show at times with his crazy antics. I would say Jerry was my favorite early on but as the show evolved I became more of a George (and Elaine) fan overall. Regardless, I think they were the perfect cast and the chemistry between them all was always great.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can't say I was ever a Seinfeld fan. I watched it at the time and it could be very funny but it hasn't stayed with me.
As for his comments about the movie industry, I don't think it's dead but it's place continues to evolve (devolve?) as new technologies take over various aspects of it. TV killed the movie serial and series like Ma and Pa Kettle, streaming now seems to be the home for intimate dramas. But cinema is till the home of the big screen blockbuster. It's hard to imagine that experience being fully reproduced in the home environment.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can't say I was ever a Seinfeld fan. I watched it at the time and it could be very funny but it hasn't stayed with me.
As for his comments about the movie industry, I don't think it's dead but it's place continues to evolve (devolve?) as new technologies take over various aspects of it. TV killed the movie serial and series like Ma and Pa Kettle, streaming now seems to be the home for intimate dramas. But cinema is till the home of the big screen blockbuster. It's hard to imagine that experience being fully reproduced in the home environment.

I think he's saying there's a cultural disconnect going on now that's more significant than ever before between Hollywood/mainstream-media and the public at large. And the industry is none-the-wiser (by choice, I'd argue). So it's not just about the technology.

Sure, something will replace it -- eventually -- in some form.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But cinema is till the home of the big screen blockbuster. It's hard to imagine that experience being fully reproduced in the home environment.
I can’t see a world totally without the big screen. You can’t match the experience of an opening night premiere in the cinema on your couch. It may never be the same again but I really hope it never goes away.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think he's saying there's a cultural disconnect going on now that's more significant than ever before between Hollywood/mainstream-media and the public at large. And the industry is none-the-wiser (by choice, I'd argue). So it's not just about the technology.
Well, yes, I see that. It's part of the overall fragmentation of society at large. Everyone is off on their own frolic - not like when there were only three TV channels and two newspapers.