That green piece of marble over the Southfork fireplace...

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
...should they have kept it when they redecorated the living room? Wouldn't it have fit well into the new, gold design?

And just what were the Ewings hiding when they removed it??

"Dammit, Bobby, that big green square just scares the hell outta me...!"

Last edited:

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was concealing a portal to a disruptive space time vortex. That’s why hair lengthens on characters in the time it takes from moving from the patio to the hallway. It can also be used to populate Southfork with rooms that cannot be accommodated either by the house size or the laws of physics. Sometimes it can malfunction and distort the faces of matriarchal figures, but this rarely lasts more than 8 months.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was concealing a portal to a disruptive space time vortex. That’s why hair lengthens on characters in the time it takes from moving from the patio to the hallway. It can also be used to populate Southfork with rooms that cannot be accommodated either by the house size or the laws of physics. Sometimes it can malfunction and distort the faces of matriarchal figures, but this rarely lasts more than 8 months.
that still doesn't explain the far more glamorous wardrobe...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Looks like it was stolen from the Wizard of Oz's castle. Otherwise, it's a truly bizarre centerpiece decoration.
Did no-one think, hey that's a nice spot for a painting. ?

How about a painting of Aaron Southworth's mysterious wife whom, I believe, was the estranged sister of Jacqueline Perrault's mother.
upload_2018-9-23_16-58-56.png

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It doesn't even look like marble. And it's so pointless. Hardly a display of wealth and opulence. It's the size of an average kitchen chopping board. They shouldn't have even bothered with the paint effect. They should have hung Miss Ellie over it, in painted form of course.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps it was once a mirror. After performing her matrimonial duties Sue Ellen sashays down the famous Southfork staircase. She grabs a fine bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. She turns and meanders up to the mirror;

download.jpg

Mirror, mirror on the wall.

Who is the true matriarch of Southfork after all?

Damn thing shatters.
Next morning Theresa discovers pieces of glass and quickly attempts to hoover up the mess but is confronted by Miss Ellie. Knowing she is about to host the fine ladies of Braddock Miss Ellie ushers for Ray. Upon his arrival she asks, "Ray. Go up into the attic and fetch me that fine piece of marble we kept from the original Southworth house." Ray replies. "Southfork has an attic?" Miss Ellie responds with a short, "Yes Ray. Southfork has an attic. It's where I keep my fine collection of shotguns."

Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps it was once a mirror. After performing her matrimonial duties Sue Ellen sashays down the famous Southfork staircase. She grabs a fine bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. She turns and meanders up to the mirror;

View attachment 13128
Mirror, mirror on the wall.

Who is the true matriarch of Southfork after all?

Damn thing shatters.
Next morning Theresa discovers pieces of glass and quickly attempts to hoover up the mess but is confronted by Miss Ellie. Knowing she is about to host the fine ladies of Braddock Miss Ellie ushers for Ray. Upon his arrival she asks, "Ray. Go up into the attic and fetch me that fine piece of marble we kept from the original Southworth house." Ray replies. "Southfork has an attic?" Miss Ellie responds with a short, "Yes Ray. Southfork has an attic. It's where I keep my fine collection of shotguns."
clever of Ray to pretend he didn't know there was a Southfork attic, when that's where he used to take Lucy when the hayloft was undergoing maintenance..

retrosonic

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You know what I think? I think it *was* a mirror, but it was reflecting the bright lights used for the filming, so they had to cover it up.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
After Miss Ellie renovates the living room, I always miss that green marble square -- seriously -- because I think it would go nicely with the new gold wallpaper.

Then, a couple of years later when the fireplace becomes blue marble, they could replace that green marble square with a matching blue marble square (instead of the stupid wooden horse that was sticking out of that same square area of the mantle).

Southfork-Ranch-Dallas.jpg

I always want the decor at Southfork to become much more rustic in DALLAS' later years than it was (when, obviously, they did the reverse and everything seemed beigy-er and beigy-er).

Since we're discussing what should go over the Southfork mantle, how about a portrait of Miss Ellie herself -- especially for nuDALLAS after Ellie has died?

southforkstonelivingroom_zps331ff0f1.jpg

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never realised I could become so obsessed with fireplaces and mantle pieces. Can't say I ever noticed the green square on original airing, infact I hadn't noticed the green square at all until reading this thread a few days ago.

I've gone through a few episodes just to spot it and there was a great image of it in whatever happened to Baby John part 2 when Priscilla Duncan hands the baby over. I was so chuffed when I spotted it.
What a weird and wonderful piece. I think I always thought it was a painting, like a one tonal watercolour, or I might’ve just made that up.

I want to see more of what's above the fireplaces now! I'll be going in search of this. Always preferred the darker front room and fireplace in early Dallas.

But nothing can beat the fireplace from the mini series. It's huge, tall and imposing. Theresa must've needed a ladder to clean the ornaments on the mantle piece. It makes the fireplace at Southfork 2 look tiny.

As for what should go above these fireplaces, the painting that Garrison gave to Miss Ellie would've looked nice with pictures of little JR, little Gary and little Bobby.

Or just stick with the green square, I feel rather attached to it now.