The Batman

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
"The Batman" will open in Theatres today, March 4.

I am not quite sure what to expect. The Nolan trilogy worked quite well, Christian Bale was a great choice for Bruce Wayne/Batman
Had Heath Ledger lived, it would have been interesting to see his role in the third movie.
I could see him manipulating all involved - Batman, Bane, Catwoman, Talia
I will reserve an evaluation of Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman. He is probably a good casting decision from a marketing perspective.
Ultimately, the quality of the script and the direction will determine the quality.
It will be a box office success, in any case, i believe

The depiction of the Riddler as a Zodiac Serial Killer who leaves taunting clues is a fresh approach that is needed
to bolster the character, as a worthy Batman adversary.
Batman is said to be utilizing his detective skills more so in this film

As for the past - I was never a fan of the Tim Burton movies for many reasons - Michael Keaton is a good actor
but he isn't right for Batman. Would MK really induce fear and terror in the criminals?
He was cast because of his success in Beetlejuice.
Tim Burtons directorial success in Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands are the reasons he was given the reigns
The supporting characters - Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, Harvey Dent - were little more than marginal.
Poor Writing, Misguided directing, Indifferent casting, lack of character development - Never cared for those movies.
Notably, Tim Burton also ruined the Dark Shadows movie for the same reasons, and
his involvement with the canceled Superman movie was a disaster.

The TB scripts were substandard, the plots full of holes and implausibility, direction was mediocre. The box office
was saved by the Batman brand and the Performances of Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito
Michelle Pfeiffer was a good choice for Catwoman, but she was failed by the script.

The Joel Schumacher films - The third one with Val Kilmer had some chops, but the poor character writing
for Tommy Lee Jones' Harvey Dent/Two Face was a let down
No one seems to care for the George Clooney version, and the comedy in that film just didn't work.

I must say that even though the 1960's series was comedic and tongue-in-cheek,
I will always regard Adam West as the definitive Bruce Wayne/Batman

Enjoy the movie!

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can’t wait to see this as well. I’m not really sure what to expect but I will definitely give it a shot.

I prefer the Christian Bale movies but I do have a soft spot for the 60s TV series. To me Adam West will always be Bruce/Batman first and foremost.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Just wondering if anyone has seen "The Batman", and opinions.

I haven't seen it yet.
However, this version of the Riddler sounds compelling and interesting.
With respect to Paul Dano, personally, I suppose I will always prefer the great Frank Gorshin, a great impressionist and actor.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought THE BATMAN was excellent. I'm not a big fan of any previous screen version of Batman; I thought they all lacked something, including the Nolan films. The movie was a great mystery-thriller with some exciting action sequences.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i have not seen it yet but Keaton will always be my favorite and Returns (1992) is my all time favorite Batman film for those who want to know it's length it's 3 hrs i'm not even joking not Batman Returns (1992) but the new one

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I will always regard Adam West as the definitive Bruce Wayne/Batman
Me, too. The further away from that formula they get, the less it interests me.
For whatever it's worth, they did a rare three-parter on that show with a Zodiac themed crime spree led by the Joker with help from the Penguin -
"The Zodiac Crimes / The Joker's Hard Time/ The Penguin Declines ".

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Adam West as much as i loved his Batman don't get me wrong isn't how Batman should be, they had watered down the comics so much by (1966) that it was a mere shell of what it was Originally. i haven't read any of the 60's comics yet i'm up to (1955) digital wise i mean, & The Thing is in the Original Comics from the late 30's to about at some point i'd say Spring of (1954) i think? or was it spring (1955) i forget which when they introduced the comics code they watered down the comics all of them really. Batman is meant to be a dark as hell character it was a really dark comic book back than before the code as it should be with Serial killers and such. and it went even goofier when the show was on in the mid 60's. but when Denny O'Neil one of my favorite writers joined DC in i think it was Dec. of (1969) or was it Dec of (1970)? i forget which he brought back Two face who hadn't been used in shit 17 years i think? he in short made the comic dark again as it's suppose to be.

Bruce is a guy who's really f.. up in the head over seeing his parents get killed as a kid and while he's a really smart guy it well you know the Origin. what's funny about the 60's show was the only reason they did the BAM, POW's at all was cause they didn't have the money for really anything so to cover that they went cheap and just put those in. it was cheap to do that's really the only reason

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Adam West as much as i loved his Batman don't get me wrong isn't how Batman should be, they had watered down the comics so much by (1966) that it was a mere shell of what it was Originally. i haven't read any of the 60's comics yet i'm up to (1955) digital wise i mean, & The Thing is in the Original Comics from the late 30's to about at some point i'd say Spring of (1954) i think? or was it spring (1955) i forget which when they introduced the comics code they watered down the comics all of them really. Batman is meant to be a dark as hell character it was a really dark comic book back than before the code as it should be with Serial killers and such. and it went even goofier when the show was on in the mid 60's. but when Denny O'Neil one of my favorite writers joined DC in i think it was Dec. of (1969) or was it Dec of (1970)? i forget which he brought back Two face who hadn't been used in shit 17 years i think? he in short made the comic dark again as it's suppose to be.

Bruce is a guy who's really f.. up in the head over seeing his parents get killed as a kid and while he's a really smart guy it well you know the Origin. what's funny about the 60's show was the only reason they did the BAM, POW's at all was cause they didn't have the money for really anything so to cover that they went cheap and just put those in. it was cheap to do that's really the only reason
Agreed. The 1960s show was fun and enjoyable, but it the tone is not consistent with Batman's origins in the comics. Batman was
dark, determined, unflinching and relentless in his war on crime, and the Joker was a remorseless, demented killer.
Interestingly, I found the Batman Animated Adventures (At least the Pre Robin ones) to be the most representative of Batman's character.

I never cared for Robin or Batgirl - I prefer Batman as a solo act.

The Dark Knight by Frank Miller firmly reestablished Batman's image as a serious crimefighter, although as you pointed out,
Denny O'Neill had already been writing Batman in that direction.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, I completely understand that the 60s TV show is not the best representation of the comics character.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Oh, I completely understand that the 60s TV show is not the best representation of the comics character.
That's OK, we can all enjoy different characterizations.
There was also, a 1940's serial, didn't see it, but maybe I will someday

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i love him and Robin to be honest i have seen the 40's serials years and years and years ago like back in the 90's AMC used to air them but i do not remember them at all.

i did enjoy them than. my favorite batman storyline is 2 of them actually 1. is Knightfall where he gets his back broken by Bane Literally he puts him over his knee and breaks his f... spine i'm not even kidding. i have that issue in fact a Must read too, than there was Knight's Quest with Tim Drake's father being kidnapped and Bruce and Alfred going after the thugs to took him Bruce in a wheel chair going after and winning, than there's Knight's Quest which is Jean Paul Valley's take on Batman a much darker turn than bruce ever was. and than there's Knight's End which was Bruce coming back to take the mantle of the bat from Jean Paul Valley whooping his ass at the end of it and left it literally curled up in a ball in a hole i'm not making that up either.

my dream is they put all that in a series of films, they hinted at it in Dark Knight Rises though but did not go the full route sadly. my other favorite one is after Jason Todd was killed in (1988) he went dark as hell damn near killing thugs and it was his way of dealing with Jason's Death and it was to the point that when Tim Drake came out in (1990) he figured out quite Quickly cause he was there when Dick Grayson they wrote in the night that Dick's family was killed. he put 2 and 2 together on who batman and his partner was. by showing up at the Manor and pretty much talked his way into becoming Robin something Bruce really needed which he fought like hell to not have happen ever again. it was realistic i think in the way that was written because having someone die like the way Jason Todd did we all react to grief differently and beating thug's ass's harder than he normally would was his way i suppose.

when they killed off Jason Todd in The Story line death in the family in (1988) DC did a phone line where fans could say if they wanted him to live or die they had panel's made for both. well the fans wanted him dead so they killed him. in the trade paperback that Denny O Neil wrote the intro i have the 4th printing sadly of that and he wrote him than that if we ever bring Jason Todd back that's selling out and we don't want to do that. maybe 15 years later or so i am guessing on the years i don't remember what year Red Hood showed up maybe a bit longer than that what did they do? they introduced Jason Todd as Red Hood even though he was shown to have died in Bruce's arms bloodied to a pulp and covered in blood. the Joker had set a bomb with Jason and his mother that he had recently found working for the Joker and tied the both of them. Jason had nearly made it out when the bomb went off. how they brought him back from that i have no idea?

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
i love him and Robin to be honest i have seen the 40's serials years and years and years ago like back in the 90's AMC used to air them but i do not remember them at all.

i did enjoy them than. my favorite batman storyline is 2 of them actually 1. is Knightfall where he gets his back broken by Bane Literally he puts him over his knee and breaks his f... spine i'm not even kidding. i have that issue in fact a Must read too, than there was Knight's Quest with Tim Drake's father being kidnapped and Bruce and Alfred going after the thugs to took him Bruce in a wheel chair going after and winning, than there's Knight's Quest which is Jean Paul Valley's take on Batman a much darker turn than bruce ever was. and than there's Knight's End which was Bruce coming back to take the mantle of the bat from Jean Paul Valley whooping his ass at the end of it and left it literally curled up in a ball in a hole i'm not making that up either.

my dream is they put all that in a series of films, they hinted at it in Dark Knight Rises though but did not go the full route sadly. my other favorite one is after Jason Todd was killed in (1988) he went dark as hell damn near killing thugs and it was his way of dealing with Jason's Death and it was to the point that when Tim Drake came out in (1990) he figured out quite Quickly cause he was there when Dick Grayson they wrote in the night that Dick's family was killed. he put 2 and 2 together on who batman and his partner was. by showing up at the Manor and pretty much talked his way into becoming Robin something Bruce really needed which he fought like hell to not have happen ever again. it was realistic i think in the way that was written because having someone die like the way Jason Todd did we all react to grief differently and beating thug's ass's harder than he normally would was his way i suppose.

when they killed off Jason Todd in The Story line death in the family in (1988) DC did a phone line where fans could say if they wanted him to live or die they had panel's made for both. well the fans wanted him dead so they killed him. in the trade paperback that Denny O Neil wrote the intro i have the 4th printing sadly of that and he wrote him than that if we ever bring Jason Todd back that's selling out and we don't want to do that. maybe 15 years later or so i am guessing on the years i don't remember what year Red Hood showed up maybe a bit longer than that what did they do? they introduced Jason Todd as Red Hood even though he was shown to have died in Bruce's arms bloodied to a pulp and covered in blood. the Joker had set a bomb with Jason and his mother that he had recently found working for the Joker and tied the both of them. Jason had nearly made it out when the bomb went off. how they brought him back from that i have no idea?
The Knightfall/Knightquest,/Knights End narrative was terrific, with almost all the rogues gallery and then some.
I liked Jean Paul Valley, I thought the writers went overboard in making him to remorseless for his actions.

It could be argued that JPV was dealing with criminals who were more ruthless, and a stronger approach was necessary.
and maybe his methods were ones that Bruce couldn't bring himself to do.

I would like to have seen him continue in some capacity, since they have essentially written Red Hood as an
JPV type . I have never liked Jason Todd and/or Red Hood, but I do think he makes a good point about Batman
forgetting him, replacing him and not being more harsh with the Joker. Furthermore, RH makes the point that
the Joker is not like Penguin, Harvey Dent, etc. While others are criminals or psychologically damaged or both,
the Joker destroys lives, unnecessarily, remorselessly, even gleefully, in numbers way in excess of all others.
JPV seemed well suited to battle such a foe

I am not suggesting that JPV remain Batman, only that I think he could have continued in some capacity.

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i think St. Dumas really f... him up too much for him to do that he needed to get his brain rewired before he even thought about doing anything else. i'm glad he felt remorseless yeah they were right about the joker but he took it too far i think. i'm just glad that anyone here has read that other than little ole me. i also have the hard back books that both Denny O Neil wrote of Knightfall and The Death of Superman by Roger Stern who is my favorite DC writer. my 2nd one would i think be Bill Finger he was that good.