Awards

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I have to admit, the description "following the lives of a wealthy Black family in a posh, gated community" doesn't appeal to me at all because I'm afraid that once again nothing will be shown of the wealth. In a small living room of this huge (not visible) mansion family members will be talking about how great the ride in the Ferrari was after they had previously taken a trip on the yacht. I would have liked a look into the life of a down-to-earth black family with everyday problems that can escalate to a soapy level, but maybe US audiences actually just want to see exaggerated rich-people dramas on daytime soaps.

I live in a country (Germany) where a new daily soap is constantly being launched, not always successfully. If a new daily starts in Germany, like "The Spreewald Clinic" next fall, the preview of the plot might not fit for US daytime. If you are interested, here is the translated preview of the next German daily soap:

Dr. Lea Wolff gave her daughter up for adoption shortly after her birth 20 years ago. In search of her, the doctor travels from Hamburg to the Spree Forest. She hasn't actually practiced as a doctor for years, but she still takes a job at the Spreewald Clinic. She hopes to learn more about her daughter there. But she also feels that she is needed there. So she finds professional fulfillment in the clinic and an ally in the head physician, Dr. Barbara Berg. She fights with her every day for people's lives and often against their stubbornness. The young nurse Nico is also at her side. Lea also meets her childhood sweetheart Paul again. Is he hiding something from her? Then there is the attractive doctor Erik, who Lea seems to ignore. But she doesn't find him completely uninteresting. Will Lea finally be able to find her daughter and reconcile?

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to admit, the description "following the lives of a wealthy Black family in a posh, gated community" doesn't appeal to me at all because I'm afraid that once again nothing will be shown of the wealth. The Ferrari is standing in front of the mansion while in a small living room of this huge (not visible) mansion family members are talking about how great the ride in the Ferrari was after they had previously taken a trip on the yacht. I would have liked a look into the life of a down-to-earth black family with everyday problems that can escalate to a soapy level, but maybe US audiences actually just want to see exaggerated rich-people dramas on daytime soaps.
While I agree, that as we already have two soaps focused on wealthier characters (Y&R and B&B), it would’ve been good to see something different (I’d love a modern day Edge of Night), I’m just glad we’re getting anything at all. It’s such a surprise for a new soap to surface in this day and age, that I’ll give anything that they put out a go. Particularly as this’ll be the only time, other than Sunset Beach, that I’ll have the opportunity to watch a US daytime soap from the beginning in real time.

Regarding production, it’ll be interesting to see how they convey the wealth for sure. For continuity, the homes and offices etc will have to be sets but I wonder how creative they’ll get with location filming. Anyway, we’ve a long nine months of speculation about every minutiae of the show ahead of us!

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Particularly as this’ll be the only time, other than Sunset Beach, that I’ll have the opportunity to watch a US daytime soap from the beginning in real time.
That's why I still watch B&B. Santa Barbara and B&B are the only US daytime soaps where I was able to witness the beginning. With Sunset Beach too, but I quickly put an end to that, while I couldn't let B&B go until today.

I'm already thinking about which soap I'll give up if I like The Gates and want to watch it permanently. In recent years I've given up on Neighbours and then Hollyoaks due to lack of time. Swapping B&B for The Gates wouldn't really do me any good in terms of running time, so it'll probably be Days vs Gates for me.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm assuming that the show's title has a double meaning, that they're referencing the "gated community" concept but also the family in question has the surname "Gates". If that is the case, they're more likely going to be a half-hour series, since an hour-long soap would certainly need multiple core families. I think a half hour would likely be easier to work with and more "watchable" by those with short attention spans.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
If the focus is only on one family, I hope writers don't make the mistake of closing some doors too quickly and saying that the (grand)parents are now deceased or that the patriarch and matriarch were the only children. It would be better to mention a child at boarding school who joins the series in the summer, or the grandmother who is currently on a cruise and returns sometime in the spring with a younger lover. What I liked about the launch of B&B was that there were four adult children; on SB, I liked the intergenerational dynamic of the Lockridges. Hopefully The Gates creators will look at what has worked well in other daytime soaps.

As for the cast, I wonder if CBS is dreaming big, for example with Blair Underwood and Vivicia A. Fox as parents, or if they're going to use the cast of the many Tyler Perry shows, or if they're going to use well-known daytime faces, even poach black actors from other soaps. Mishael Morgan and Sal Stowers as sisters and/or Lawrence Saint-Victor and Donnell Turner as brothers, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if Mishael Morgan was part of the show because she's a great daytime actress, but since she left Y&R twice it might be a big risk to hire her. I would like to see Lawrence Saint-Victor play a role that challenges him more than Carter on B&B.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's interesting you mention Tyler Perry alumni, since Gavin Houston (who played Jeffrey Harrington on The Haves and the Have Nots) was hired last year to play the role of Portia's brother on General Hospital, but due to various backstage changes his character just sort of disappeared. Houston already had daytime experience prior to HAHN so he could definitely be someone to audition for this new show. Both he and Peter Parros (who played Jeffrey's father) worked for P&G soaps (Houston for GL, Parros for ATWT) so the producers might have an eye on them already.

If they were to hire Angela Robinson (who played Jeffrey's evil bitch mother, Veronica) to play the show's villainess, I would be thrilled. No way could they top Veronica's antics, but just having her around wearing that evil smile of hers would be enough to make me tune in.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gavin Houston (who played Jeffrey Harrington on The Haves and the Have Nots) was hired last year to play the role of Portia's brother on General Hospital, but due to various backstage changes his character just sort of disappeared.

Many GH fans want Gavin Houston back. He made an impact during his short stay. It would be great if he was cast on The Gates. All soaps need eye-candy who are also interesting characters.

I'm hoping for a nice blend between soap vets and newcomers on the new show. B&B did great in 1987 with that.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but it needs a really good plot to keep the audience sticking around
Sounds like a great title thread. If we had the option to create a new series how would you start it? If I had an opportunity I'd start with a wedding. Guests arrive at a grand church. The groom, best man and attendants are standing at the alter. The traditional bridal march commences and the heavy doors are cast open. The bridesmaids enter followed by the bride and her father. As they near the alter a gunshot rings out. The bride looks at her father, looks down and sees blood beginning to stain her wedding dress. She collapses. Standing in the aisle is a lone woman holding the gun. As the scene fades to black we hear screams from the guests....

....12 months prior to this event and we begin our introduction to a new series. But we wonder if the bride was worthy of a bullet or was the shooter someone we should feel sympathy for.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
So CBS and Procter & Gamble have teamed up again. I wonder whether initial meetings discussed reviving a canceled soap, GL or ATWT. I think a new soap is the better way when it comes to streaming, because the secondary use is probably a big incentive for the new soap in addition to live TV.