• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Great Katharine Hepburn

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hepburn probably should have just done a remake of ARSENIC & OLD LACE she had a hankering to do a black comedy about an old lady who murders people for altruistic reasons.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Your fantasies are so lofty. Even with my tendency towards mental re-casting and what-if guest appearances, I feel Kate would be scornful of an imaginary TV appearance.

----------------

Oh, I know... That's why my DYNASTIER entries are totally facetious: they're too improbable by any standard.

On the other hand, my 'dowagers'/'Krystle-turns-clairvoyant'/'crystal-skull' type of threads are dead serious. I would totally do them.... Plus, Bette, Swanson, and Dame Judith would likely have done the show if asked.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That video reflects what I both like and dislike about BKR. She's aware enough to acknowledge these Hepburn films were progressive for their time -- and that even what passes for progressive now, probably won't be seen as such in the future -- but she still backhands the films for not living up to 2021 wokeness.

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So many great comments and analysis about Kate , I agree with many points being made about her career longevity and comparison to Bette and Joan. I once wrote here, not sure which thread, that I wouldn't trade Bette/Joan's trashy years to Kate's dignified successes of later years, for the simple reason of pure entertainment. Joan and Bette slugged it out and that's the only way they could function, all of their life, so even in their worst movies it's still pure fun and joy to watch them. In a strange way, these two seem to be better remembered and known today among younger audiences. Of course their feud and many modern Hollywood adaptations of their lives helped a lot, but the camp factor is also what makes them somehow still relevant.

Hepburn, on the other hand, always the individual doing things her own way, is more divisive today. Her unmatched awards record is working against her, in a way, because her acting very often does not live up to the 4 Oscars standard. We often say this about many actors, but, doesn't it feel like she always played one same character? Of course it was not like that, but it does feel like it.

While she did appear in many classic comedies, I don't think she was the best of that screwball period. In fact, I prefer her 40s, more sophisticated MGM comedies with Tracy. Woman of the Year, The Adam's Rib and perfectly enjoyable. I also love some of the dramas she did with Tracy during that time, like Keeper of t he Flame (1942). After her rocky RKO 30s period, coming to MGM where she got their glam makeover, saved her career and set foundations for what she would achieve. But even that was done on her own terms, she bought the rights for Philadelphia Story, then sold it to Metro and got a deal where she could chose the cast and director. After the success of that movie she signed a long term contract and the rest is history.

I think the most impressive thing about her is exactly this ability to get what she wanted, on her own terms, but without selling out or losing dignity. Was it her rich family/suffragette mother, Connecticut upbringing? She knew how good she was and she knew never to lower the standards? Just compare her background to the likes of Joan or Marilyn, who came from dirt and were damaged in the process. Most Hollywood stars seem to come from the ''wrong side of the tracks'' and because of this were ready to do anything to get out of that world. For Hepburn though, Hollywood was just another world where she can triumph, just like she would probably at any other profession.

Anyway, I'm not gonna list my favorite movies, because I love so many, but this weekend I watched Summertime (1955) again and I think it could be my favorite performance of hers. It's at the start of her spinster phase (which lasted until the end really), but she is still relatively young here, and the pairing with Rossano Brazzi somehow works. Her performance is gentle and detailed, without going overboard or being shrill (something she tends to do in some later movies), and she manages to create real emotional moments that affect the viewer. It's such a romantic movie, while the wonderful Italy setting and David Lean's direction are a treat for the eyes. A perfect summer travel movie and one that I always love coming back to.

As I write this, Bringing Up Baby starts on TCM. Let me get the popcorn.....

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
if you guys and gals want a good laugh i was talking to someone on i think you tube maybe a couple years back? i don't honestly remember but they claimed that Katherine Hepburn were both gay but hid it. i went huh? they claimed that these those 2 weren't sleeping together at all but made it look as they were which again huh?

i don't buy that at all but i dunno maybe that's just me either way i could care less who these two were sleeping with weather it was with each other or whoever just as long as it wasn't a kid. and they never did that either

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We often say this about many actors, but, doesn't it feel like she always played one same character? Of course it was not like that, but it does feel like it.

It's true that Hepburn was, basically, always Hepburn. The same could also be said of nearly all of the great movie stars. Even Davis was only superficially versatile. She may have disappeared into a character on a couple of occasions, but mostly she was Bette Davis -- in a wig or with an (unconvincing) accent, but still Bette Davis. None of the actors of that era had the kind of technical precision we associate with Meryl Streep.

What constitutes "acting"? Only if a performer becomes a different person? That eliminates virtually everyone. I keep my expectations of acting simple. Whether the actor becomes the character, or the character becomes the actor, does the performer embody the emotions and thoughts of that character? (With Kate the answer is "sometimes yes, sometimes no".)

Last edited:

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bogart and K. Hepburn are among my favorites and, yet, I'm fairly ambivalent about THE AFRICAN QUEEN. I don't think it would rank among my Top 10 for either. The movie was recently re-released in theaters and I passed on seeing it.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If I were to recommend 5 Kate Hepburn films, they would be:

STAGE DOOR
BRINGING UP BABY
ADAM'S RIB
STATE OF THE UNION
THE LION IN WINTER
I'm making a birthday watch list and STAGE DOOR (which is one of my favorite movies) is already on that list. I've always enjoyed movies with big, ensemble casts and this movie has many actresses in it that I especially like... outside of Hepburn, it's got Ginger Rogers, Gail Patrick, Lucille Ball, Ann Miller, and Eve Arden.

Good, good movie.

1632755071882.png

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Stage Door is brilliant! One of those movies you can watch countless times because the dialogue is so good, so witty and there's so much of it! Awesome cast and Eve Arden purring around with that cat around her neck gives me so much life!!!!