The marvellously mirthful Miriam Margolyes

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I started but havent finished her first book, my dad gave it to me at xmas last year

The swearing puts me off though

Oh, that's a shame. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, especially the very descriptive ways she talks about places like Oxford and Cambridge. I also found it quite touching in places.

The swearing is inevitable with Miriam. I don't remember there being a lot of it the book, but it's a while since I've read it now.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Apparently she caused a sensation on This Morning a few days ago by cursing a bit!

I don't watch it as I can't stand Holly Willoughby!

Miriam is a legend, a pity her Professor Sprout wand isn't real or she could turn Holly into a frog! :)

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't like her. I believe she's making a few stories up to get attention with dropping as many male celebrity names as possible. She's a good actress but I prefer if some people would just shut up. She didn't have dramatic #metoo moments and her story about Steve Martin isn't credible as pointed out by people who worked with her on Martin at that time on set.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I've heard that Miriam will be voicing the character of Beep the Meep, a fluffy alien creature in Doctor Who next year.

Isn't he cute? :)

View attachment 42552
I read something about that. I will have to trust RTD, because my initial impression is not favorable. I don't know who this actress is, but she seems to be well-known

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I read something about that. I will have to trust RTD, because my initial impression is not favorable. I don't know who this actress is, but she seems to be well-known

She played Professor Sprout in the Harry Potter movies, if that helps.

Miriam is very down to earth. You're worrying unnecessarily she's actually a big fan of Doctor Who and will be great in the show. :)

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't like her. I believe she's making a few stories up to get attention with dropping as many male celebrity names as possible. She's a good actress but I prefer if some people would just shut up. She didn't have dramatic #metoo moments and her story about Steve Martin isn't credible as pointed out by people who worked with her on Martin at that time on set.
You don't find a woman credible AND you think she should shut up? But if other people are unsure about the validity of allegations, you call them misogynists and incels.

It's nice to see you hold yourself to the same standard as everybody else, lol!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well... today's been something of a dream come true for me. For a couple of precious minutes this morning I had the pleasure of sitting alongside Miriam herself having a little chat.

It may be said you should never meet your idols (and, frankly, there are very few people on this planet I’d be prepared to queue to meet anyway) but I'm happy to report that meeting Miriam and having a one-to-one chat has only deepened my affection for this national treasure. So forgive me if I have a little gush.

If memory serves, this was my first in-person book signing event. My closest frame of reference for this would be a couple of times meeting a pop group for an album signing. Oh, and Valene Ewing's book-signing in Dallas. From this I thought I had a good idea what to expect: celebs seated behind a table as punters are conveyed past, with time for perhaps a quick word or two and - if one is really lucky - a photo as you walk quickly along.

Happily, this was a far more laid-back event than I could ever have anticipated. Miriam was set up in a little nook of the bookshop:

I'd assumed the second seat would be for somebody accompanying Miriam... perhaps even security or something. But nope. Attendees sat alongside Miriam and had a very authentic chat with her. Excitedly nervous as I was, I was awake at 4:30 this morning, but deliberately didn't go too early because a quick search online told me the nearest public conveniences didn't open until 9 (the time I planned to be at the bookshop) and I wasn't going to lose my place in the queue over needing a wee.

What with traffic, parking and navigating my way round, I arrived pretty much bang on 9 for the signing at 10. I feared being greeted by a horde of Potterheads queueing round the block, but was one of the first to arrive. Even better, once the shop opened at 9 we could queue inside, out of the cold.

Something I took away from out conversation with Miriam was how very interested in people she is, and how she can form a meaningful rapport instantly. I've seen it in her documentary series, where she can chat with anyone and seems to have an appetite to learn about them, and to experience that first person blew my mind a little.

I had a few mental post-its of things I might say, given the chance (I was interested, for instance, to hear her opinion about the outcome of the Voice Referendum. I'm sure she'll have been very disappointed by it). As it was, Miriam was the one asking questions about me, and I found myself chatting away as though we'd known each other for years. I'm a complete introvert, but the conversation just came so easily.

She was certainly on form, and it was fascinating to see her extend the rapport to the entire assembled company. There was a really special balance between making the person beside her feel she's there only for them, and keeping everyone entertained by simply being Miriam. A couple of times there were laughs among the people watching because of a cheeky question or comment she put in my direction (after one direct question she asked me, someone accompanying her said a jokily exasperated "Oh, for God's sake").

With a queue of perhaps 100 people and only a 90 minute signing window, I felt extremely privileged to get a full couple of minutes quality time with her.

Something else that struck me about the event was the diversity of attendees. Before going, I had trouble trying to envisage just what Miriam's demographic would be, and it seems the answer is: everyone. Everyone was very friendly, respectful and clearly delighted to see her.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It may be said you should never meet your idols (and, frankly, there are very few people on this planet I’d be prepared to queue to meet anyway)
Yes that's how the saying goes. I don't regret meeting my idol and I travelled a long way for the privilege.

I was warned by family & friends beforehand that I may be left disappointed, not a chance. I knew I was doing the right thing and the whole experience just made me admire and love her even more, if that was possible.

Like you said there are few people I would queue to meet too, infact there's no one else particularly that I long to meet.

I'm so pleased you had a lovely experience, it sounds truly wonderful and that she was everything you imagined she would be and probably more. You gush away!

Thank you for sharing. You will always remember this day.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Like you said there are few people I would queue to meet too, infact there's no one else particularly that I long to meet.

Well it's wonderful you've been able to tick that box and feel really good about doing it.

And, better still, the excitement of the event brought you here as a member. :dance:

I'm so pleased you had a lovely experience, it sounds truly wonderful and that she was everything you imagined she would be and probably more. You gush away!

Thank you for sharing.

Aww, thanks. It was a bit of a surreal blur as these moments so often are, but I've got some great new memories.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Oh Miriam! is "officially" mine.

Since I ordered it back in January and my first copy arrived in September, it's been a long time coming, but I wanted it to be one of my Christmas presents so I was happy to wait. I don't imagine I'll read it until next spring anyway.

(Names have been obscured to protect the innocent...)