'The Single-Handed Destruction of "Falcon Crest" by Kristian Alfonso's Pilar Ortega'

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I said before season 8 was an attempt to return the show to a more earthy feel, after the extremely octane season 7. Michael Filerman's idea worked okay in theory. However when he put into practice it fell flat. Pilar and her family were in their hearts good people but the engineering of their presence after what we used to was IMHO lacklustre. Suddenly Kristian's character became the N.o. 1 woman, too much in your face and nearly every time you looked there she was, in all her beauty. Call me a stick in the mud if you like but she just hadn't the same degree of beauty Ana Alicia possessed and with all due respect didn't have her level of acting chops either.

Angela appears from her study, after having a drop of tea. She notices newcomer Pilar going to the front door. The newbie has been working with Richard, on a business deal that would mean considerable changes to the wine making Tuscany Valley, (a scene from season 8, 1988 - '89):

Pilar: "I'm on my way to see Richard."

Angela: "Well if he kidnaps you don't tell anybody."

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I said before season 8 was an attempt to return the show to a more earthy feel, after the extremely octane season 7. Michael Filerman's idea worked okay in theory. However when he put into practice it fell flat. Pilar and her family were in their hearts good people but the engineering of their presence after what we used to was IMHO lacklustre. Suddenly Kristian's character became the N.o. 1 woman, too much in her your face and nearly every time you looked there she was, in all her beauty. Call me a stick in the mud if you like but she just hadn't the same degree of beauty Ana Alicia possessed and with all due respect didn't have her level of acting chops either.

Yes, they made pretty much every rookie mistake in introducing Pilar to the show - they just made her too instantly connected to everyone on the canvas and then pushed her to the forefront, while at the same time just swiftly writing off one of the most popular characters on the show. Obviously, Kristian Alfonso was hired because of her popularity as heroine Hope Brady on Days of Our Lives and they wanted Pilar to be similar to that - if they had to introduce Pilar and write out Melissa, ultimately there were better ways to do it. For starters, there was absolutely no reason to rush writing Melissa out in three episodes and force Pilar onto the show. Ana Alicia had a contract for 22 episodes anyway and was going to get paid no matter what, so why not take their time in writing Melissa out, be it 10 episodes or the full 22?

With that said, I did enjoy her stint as the devious Madame Lauren on Melrose Place a few years later.

Chloe-Fusco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just when Melissa could have went back to how she was in the glory years (1, 2, 3 and early 4) they made her mental health bad again and killed her off, after getting what she wanted all her young life. It was sheer stupidity by Michael Filerman because of Ana's contract. Pilar would never fit Angela's chair.