The timescale of Katzman and Duffy returning to the show

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It had been discussed before. Victoria Principal was called back after the filming of the episode to play the a scene in her bedroom. She did not understand why at the moment and she was told that the episode was not long enough so an extra scene was needed.
There was no scene with Mark dead in the shower, it's just a (false) rumor.

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was under the impression that the final scene was going to be the explosion at Ewing Oil. And that Victoria’s scene where she gets out of bed and heads toward the shower was filmed because they knew Patrick was returning, but she didn’t know what she was filming when she did the scene. And that Pam did not find Mark dead in the shower, but instead stepped into the shower with Mark and they had a love scene.
It‘s pretty obvious that there was so much turmoil and no long-time planning anymore in Dallas (a series which I liked to that point for its cafing for details)
- in April Karzman‘s and Duffy‘s return was announced, the series finale was broadcasted on May 16.
so there was plenty of time to shoot some scenes edit the final episode at least or cut some scenes which will be useless (like JR investigating in Mark‘s past, if the character is gone after the next one?)
- Why put so much time/budget/cast scenes for Pam‘s wedding to Mark if it‘s forgotten? The episode was advertised that Bobby would return. You keep waiting for him showing up during the wedding which stays eventless.
- Why use the Ben Stivers scenes if you redo them again now under the name of Wes Parmalee? I think they had the actor on the payroll and probably discovered later on that they had to use him in the next season. With Phil Capice in charge Ben Stivers would allegedly have turned out to be Jock to close the show.

Phil Capice closed the season as he thought and left. Katzman did not like the product although he was part of it as an advisor. He made it all a dream and he did not put much care in it. It seems careless and lazy. „Return to camelot“ feels like a different series, not better or worse in my opinion, but completely unattached to the episode before. No care for details. The idea to make it Pam‘s dream instead of Bobby‘s speaks volumes to the lack of care.

Last edited:

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They didn’t know when they wrote the script for that episode that Patrick would be returning. That’s why we had the threads that set things up for next season, like Sue Ellen being injured in the explosion; Jack going on the warpath against the Ewings, after Jamie is killed, Pam marrying Mark, and JR starting to dig into Mark’s past (though with Pam out of Ewing Oil, I don’t see why JR would even care about that any more).

Reshoots cost money and we know how budget-conscious Lorimar was (see Barbara Bel Geddes’ salary dispute). They set things up for Duffy’s return in that final episode in the most budget conscious-way possible.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Howard Keel said in an interview late that summer of 1986 that "it's the dream", presumably given permission to do so. Someone at the network also said the dream scenario was leaked "to cut the anger." But that didn't seem to work, did it?

So plenty of people seemed to realize that it was going to be a disaster. But only the judgments of Lenny, Larry and Patrick seemed to matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t think it was a disaster - just uncreative. Any cliffhanger that can be resolved in 30 seconds is boring. And I liked the season that followed it. We got one final strong season in the original format. But the dream explanation highlighted the fact that the creative team didn’t know how to evolve the show and keep it fresh. Both Bobby’s and Pam’s exits were opportunities to reinvent the show. Instead, it just became repetitive and boring with gaping holes from cast departures.

I’ve seen so many creative ideas from various posters on the boards that could have maximized the drama surrounding Bobby’s return. The producers just chose the most boring way possible because Uncle Lenny wanted to wipe out everything that happened while he was absent.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Howard Keel said in an interview late that summer of 1986 that "it's the dream", presumably given permission to do so. Someone at the network also said the dream scenario was leaked "to cut the anger." But that didn't seem to work, did it?

So plenty of people seemed to realize that it was going to be a disaster. But only the judgments of Lenny, Larry and Patrick seemed to matter.
If anything I think leaking the dream scenario made it worse. I remember hearing that possibility not too long before Return to Camelot aired and thinking there was no way they would ever do that. How can they make it a dream? That’s impossible.

I figured they were leaking a false story just to throw us off the trail. So when I realized it actually was true and they leaked it to boot it made me feel even more disappointed.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If anything I think leaking the dream scenario made it worse. I remember hearing that possibility not too long before Return to Camelot aired and thinking there was no way they would ever do that. How can they make it a dream? That’s impossible.

I figured they were leaking a false story just to throw us off the trail. So when I realized it actually was true and they leaked it to boot it made me feel even more disappointed.
That's why it didn't work: we all knew DALLAS wouldn't stoop to that.

But, yikes.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Is it any wonder Victoria Principal bailed the season after.

That is one smart woman. She's even said in interviews that the show was in decline and the quality of the writing wasn't as good any more.

Now today in 2021, I can understand why she left. :)

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to be honest - loved Pat D back in the day bit would rather have had BBG back and I enjoyed so much of the dream season and even then you could whizz thro the VHS tape to avoid Ms Nero and co
Most people I know who were casual fans of Dallas switched off the following season and felt rather cheated by the dream season and its resolution witb Bobby in the shower . It was just a dream! And a few friends commented that it was an "insult" to their intelligence - If you were a dallas fan and took it seriously you stuck with it - but the dream was a jump the shark moment for Dallas, the first being fake Ellie.
Victoria aka Pam dying in the car crash was for me the biggest serious loss to the show and I think most of my friends definitley tuned out when Mummified Pam appeared in Dallas Memorial
Suddenly i had no one to chat Dallas with anymore!

BBG had some wonderful scenes that season, especially with John Ross. I also loved her chat with Pam before the Oil Barons Ball and then accepting the award.

There were some lovely moments, then it all went crazy.

But to be fair I remember many people being very critical of the show, and were saying there was finally something happened when Pam refused to sell Christoper's shares. I think for many it just wasn't Dallas or the Dallas they loved with JR.

I think that season really was a WTF are they doing. If it had been written as it should have been, with Pam vs JR in a vicious battle. Then I doubt there would have been a dream season.

It's a shame Patrick's career outside of Dallas didn't take off or if his return had happened a few seasons later.

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I genuinely can’t think of one single scene AFTER the dream season that compares to what came before in terms of quality. Some of the acting, direction and music in the dream season is phenomenal. Afterwards it’s all played for laughs and the camp factor is upped

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I genuinely can’t think of one single scene AFTER the dream season that compares to what came before in terms of quality. Some of the acting, direction and music in the dream season is phenomenal. Afterwards it’s all played for laughs and the camp factor is upped
Well I thought the Wes Parmalee Jock Ewing storyline was a great quality storyline. Just a shame it had a lame resolution. :)