SoapLand - The Battle Of The Trickery - The Result

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Hello mother, how's tricks?" is a favourite Falcon Crest quote.
But what would you consider the most interesting or clever tricks? It doesn't have to be an evil trick by an evil character, although they were usually the most "generous" in this department.

upload_2019-9-16_0-48-10.png

This may require a little bit more thinking (pretty much like the tricksters themselves had to do) but I hope it turns out to be a treat.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Alexis had quite a few nasty little tricks didn't she? I'm going to involve myself in this one.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Are fake letters eligible or did we already do "letters"...?

"Yes, pleeeeeease!"​

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Abby on Knots Landing had one in the beginning of season 6 when Greg was distdancing himself from her. To get back into his orbit, she released something into the paper, I think, but I can't remember exactly. I do recall thinking how smart she was. If anyone remembers, please let me know.
JR's scheme in season 6 with the gas stations stands out to mm as a cool example of trickery.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Abby on Knots Landing had one in the beginning of season 6 when Greg was distdancing himself from her. To get back into his orbit, she released something into the paper, I think, but I can't remember exactly. I do recall thinking how smart she was. If anyone remembers, please let me know.
JR's scheme in season 6 with the gas stations stands out to mm as a cool example of trickery.

@Jimmy Todd, maybe you mean this?

"Abby gives a press conference on behalf of Greg. Afterward Greg tells her he will never work with her again. Mad, Abby asks a reporter at the cable station to dig up the medical history of Greg's opponent, Bob Caufield. He finds out that Caufield had been in a psychiatric hospital. Abby overrides Ben and runs the story, and Ben is livid. Greg tells Abby that she will wring the neck of whoever leaked it. Abby smiles and tells him that HE leaked it." (Episode "A Little Help", 6-4)

More info and synopses of the seasons of all 4 major soaps in my site:
https://sites.google.com/site/mundodallases2/knots/episode-synopses/season-6

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Jimmy Todd, maybe you mean this?

"Abby gives a press conference on behalf of Greg. Afterward Greg tells her he will never work with her again. Mad, Abby asks a reporter at the cable station to dig up the medical history of Greg's opponent, Bob Caufield. He finds out that Caufield had been in a psychiatric hospital. Abby overrides Ben and runs the story, and Ben is livid. Greg tells Abby that she will wring the neck of whoever leaked it. Abby smiles and tells him that HE leaked it." (Episode "A Little Help", 6-4)

More info and synopses of the seasons of all 4 major soaps in my site:
https://sites.google.com/site/mundodallases2/knots/episode-synopses/season-6

I checked out your site @Toni. Nice job!:ex:
Exactly what was Abby's plan? I know I'm the one that brought it up, but now that I see it I'm not sure exactly how making it look like Greg leaked that story would get him to work with her.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure exactly how making it look like Greg leaked that story would get him to work with her.

Because Caufield's explanation about his mental illness won him the sympathy of the voters. If it was shown that Greg had deliberately exposed the story to smear his opponent, it would make him look like the bad guy.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I checked out your site @Toni. Nice job!:ex:
Exactly what was Abby's plan? I know I'm the one that brought it up, but now that I see it I'm not sure exactly how making it look like Greg leaked that story would get him to work with her.

A latter episode synopsis says:
"Greg tells Abby he knows that one of her employées broke into Caufield's medical files. Abby threatens to retract her statement if he tells."

Actually they both spent that season picking on each other with blackmails and threats, so I can´t be sure how that is related to our theme...Maybe someone here can help you better!! Have fun with your choices!!

Can´t help you further, I only watched this "long and winding" season a couple of times, and a few things are still more "blurred" to me than 1.000 Laura eyerolls...

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Are fake letters eligible or did we already do "letters"...?
http://soapchat.net/threads/the-letters-the-result.6394/

But contracts and other legal documents is another thing, I guess.

Oh, and if possible, try to avoid the impostors. It's mega-trickery of course but we've already done it, and I'd like to see some other storylines or moments in this battle.
Nevertheless, nothing is verboten.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
http://soapchat.net/threads/the-letters-the-result.6394/

But contracts and other legal documents is another thing, I guess.

Oh, and if possible, try to avoid the impostors. It's mega-trickery of course but we've already done it, and I'd like to see some other storylines or moments in this battle.
Nevertheless, nothing is verboten.

Thanks Willie! No Verboten here? Too bad...

upload_2019-9-16_22-24-26.jpeg

This one looks really juicy and full of trickery!​

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Because Caufield's explanation about his mental illness won him the sympathy of the voters. If it was shown that Greg had deliberately exposed the story to smear his opponent, it would make him look like the bad guy.

Thank you, James!
The blue-eyed she-devil of KL has a good head on her shoulders!

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Hello mother, how's tricks?" is a favourite Falcon Crest quote.
But what would you consider the most interesting or clever tricks? It doesn't have to be an evil trick by an evil character, although they were usually the most "generous" in this department.

View attachment 17972

This may require a little bit more thinking (pretty much like the tricksters themselves had to do) but I hope it turns out to be a treat.

Willie I'm just about to post my list but just want to double check that I have the gist of what you're looking for. I assume any plots or schemes that involved some kind of deceit are eligible? Malicious lies and sneaky plots etc.?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Poor Val

Surely one of the most elaborate and thought-through schemes in Soapland, Jill left no stone unturned when it came to plotting Val's murder/suicide. From her carefully orchestrated alibi, to her plot to make Val think Ben was alive, every detail was meticulously planned and executed. Had poor Val actually died as planned she probably would have gotten away with it too.

2. Checkmate

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and Sable, like a cornered animal fighting for her life, concocts a story that soon puts a stop to Jason flying off with Frankie to the Dominican Republic in order to divorce her. High drama indeed!

3. Rendezvous in Rome

Alexis has put quite a lot of thought into her scheme to seduce Blake an simultaneously put an end to his marriage with Krystle. After luring him to a villa in Rome she sees to it that the paparazzi get hold of some seemingly incriminating photos of her and Blake together. This is classic sexy, sneaky, cheeky Alexis.

4. The Letter

critique-dallas-episode-134-the-letter-2.jpg

Katherine's plan to finally put an end to Bobby and Pam's marriage is very effective, although in anywhere else but Soapland she probably wouldn't get away with it. It does rely on Bobby waiting almost two seasons to say, 'hey, remember that letter you wrote...' but that aside, it's a delightfully sneaky way to go about making Bobby believe that Pam doesn't love him anymore.

5. Holly's honey trap

Capturewefjhd.JPG

Holly Harwood plays a nasty trick on JR, which he certainly had coming, but she doesn't count on it pushing Sue Ellen over the edge and all the tragedy that would ensue. Holly was one of the few people that got revenge against (early) JR and well and truly settles the score.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My choices:

1- JR (Dallas: "When There´s a Will"): In order to take a look at Jock´s will, JR uses the 80s top callgirl goddess Serena to blackmail Harv´s cute son-in-law John. It´s one of the most classical schemes of our oil baron, and was used later on a few times, with a lesser sense of surprise but equally effectively. Thanks to that, JR could listen to the will reading with a disguised smile and a strong self-assurance because...well, he knew about it.

upload_2019-9-16_23-10-10.jpeg

"Take this honey: it´s a contract for being a regular
on this show. You´ll gonna like it here..."
2- Olivia Cunningham (Knots Landing: "Alterations"): After overhearing Mummy Dearest Abby talking by phone with Greg, she learns Abby´s involvement with the babynapping and the fact that Mummy knew they were alive. She decides to live in the cul-de-sac again (because she can!!) with the Mackenzies, to Abby´s horror. It´s one of the show´s best scenes ever to me, and they should have continued with this focus for Olivia. PS: Olivia rules!!

upload_2019-9-16_23-11-2.jpeg

"Since I can´t be a Pollyanna because there´s already one
in this show, I wanna be Abby junior..."​

3- Angela Channing (Falcon Crest: "Pilot"): In her first scene in the show, Angela sees that her wacko daughter Emma seems to have caused the death of Angela´s brother Jason. In her possibly worst decision ever, she fakes "another" death of Jason (who accidentally fell during a fight with Emma´s creepy toyboy) but more believable...and safe to her: she makes it look as if Jason had driven off the "cliff" (oh, we then found out what kind of show that was...) and died due to the accident and explosion of the car.

"Oh Emma, this is our Pilot and you have already
killed one person. Luck dear Julia is so peaceful..."
4- Sue Ellen (Dallas: "The Dark at the End of the Tunnel"): Our Lingerie Powerhouse decides to test JR´s fidelity by scheming to get them together at the Barons´ Club. She stays behind the plants in a very funny position...For the record, JR let Mandy visit him at Ewing Oil but he was over her but hey, the gov came in and locked up everything, and they took a pic of they both together. Sue Ellen was not pleased!! Thanks to this trick, we could hear from her that classic piece of soap trash dialogue: "You are as disposable as a used piece of facial tissue".

upload_2019-9-16_23-22-37.png

Espionage becomes NuSue Ellen!!​

5- Alexis Colby (let´s leave the last name like that...) (Dynasty: "A Love Remembered"): Taking advantage of Blake´s amnesia, Alexis pretends that she and he still are married so she can get some stupid business deal done. Though the "reunion" was never sexually consummated (probably due to that sanctimonious Mr. Forsythe, RIP), it was the one and only time the viewers could see them as they might have been as a (happily) married couple. Very possibly, the best two episodes of the latter days of the show that inspired the most uninspired remake ever perpetrated by a channel with a stinky name: WC (or is it CW...).

upload_2019-9-16_23-23-33.jpeg

"Oh you little scoundrel, first you bash me for my
Playboy nude, and now you try to touch my t*t!
Not in your life, not even in "The Love Boat"...​

Last edited:

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Stephanie Harper’s new identity as Tara Welles the model to get revenge on her murderous husband and betraying best friend in the mini series of Return to Eden. Oh how I love this show

2. Stephanie returns from the ‘dead’ down the cat walk to the dismay of Jilly her sister, after Stephanie pretended to be Princess Teletha to get her company and Eden back. Utterly fabulous television!!

3. JR tricking Pam to find Mark through Gerald Kane in Dallas. Brillipops

4. Alexis telling Blake with amnesia they are still married. One of the big highlights of the whole shows run

5. Enter Alison Carr with new face hiding her identity that she is really the unforgettable Pat the Rat

If #5 isn’t eligible then Holly Harwood setting the honey trap for JR and Sue Ellen instead :)

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here goes....

1. Abby gets Jeff Cunningham out of her family's lives, KL. Bemoaning Abby's failings as a mother, Jeff took the kids for their regularly-scheduled visit and then....simply disappeared with them. She hit the lowest point of her life as her kids were missing and her brother Sid died unexpectedly. So Abby got into contact with Jeff, begged for his forgiveness, and convinced him that she wanted to reconcile. He still had feelings for her, so he ultimately agreed to re-marry her. When he showed up at the courthouse, he was greeted with papers forbidding him to ever contact their kids again, lest Abby have him arrested for kidnapping them. When Karen asked how she could do such a thing to the kids' father, she simply responded "He hurt me. Nobody gets away with that."

2. Karen and Gary lose Lotus Point, KL. Though Lotus Point had seen better days, the resort was still very important to owners Gary, Karen, and Abby. So when a Japanese company wanted to buy the place, Karen was especially resistant. After Abby managed to sway Gary toward selling out, it was revealed that Abby owned the "Japanese" company, and she planned to drill for oil underneath the property. By the time Gary and Karen discovered her deceit, Abby had gotten another step ahead of them. Since she would be sued into oblivion and end up in jail for defrauding her partners, she instead announced her plans to turn LP into a nature preserve. In the eyes of the press she looked like a heroine. Gary cracked that Abby "could make the Rape of Poland look like a Sunday-school picnic."

3. Paul Galveston gives the worst gift ever, KL. Paul was 'grooming' Gary in order to make Greg jealous. When Paul died and left Empire Valley to Gary, it looked like a giant middle finger to Greg, who became obsessed with getting the land back. Empire Valley was the site of a secret, satellite-eavesdropping facility (long story). Greg was even more obsessed with getting it back---but Gary was horrified and blew the facility up. Greg pouted and cursed his father's memory for handing the place over to Gary...only for the world to learn that the "valuable land" was a toxic waste dump--and it was leaking arsenic all over the place. So Paul had pulled a two-pronged trick on his son and Gary.

4. Claudia serves her special salad dressing, KL. Alex Barth was blackmailing her, so Claudia cooked him a special dinner to 'butter him up'. As he ate a healthy serving of salad, she told him a story from her days as an anthropologist where a tribal chieftain invited an enemy to a dinner as a truce gesture....when in fact, the chieftain had mixed a large amount of poisonous mushrooms (?) into the food he served to his rival. The gleeful way Claudia let the story unfold---and Alex's increasingly horrified facial expressions and eventual dash to the bathroom--was a highlight of Claudia's time on the show. She did not kill him, but she made it clear how easy it would be to do it.

5. Gary's Dead! Oh, wait..., KL. The Wolfbridge Group wanted Gary Ewing Enterprises to unfreeze their assets so construction could continue on their joint venture at Lotus Point. Since Gary was being so uncooperative, Mark St. Claire ordered Gary to be murdered, thus "his widow" Abby could un-freeze the assets. A shot rang out at the ranch; Cathy screamed; Mack called Karen to announce Gary had been murdered. Val saw a body wheeled away and practically miscarried in the driveway. We even saw brief shots of his funeral. We saw Gary in hiding (in jail) soon after, and learned that Ray Geary had been the accidental victim. The writing in this stage of the Wolfbridge saga was sufficiently suspenseful that it wasn't hard to believe they really would kill Gary off, though his being alive was a secret they could not keep very long.

Honorable mentions: Karen as Mata Hari, KL. The infamous JR Ewing showed up in Knots Landing intending to drill for oil right off the shoreline. Karen decided to take one for the team by cozying up to America's Favorite Womanizer, doing everything short of....that while Gary broke into JR's office to dig up the necessary dirt on his brother to stop the plans. Apparently there was something there because JR often asked about that mighty-fine Fairgate woman whenever he saw Gary.

Paige has to 'fess up about Peter, KL. Just as Abby and Olivia realized neither of them had killed Peter, Abby realized it had to be Paige. Paige had caused her a LOT of trouble by not coming forward (cue flashback of Abby dragging Peter's bloody corpse around town). So Abby casually mentions that "a witness" had come forward and was talking to the police...only telling this lie in front of Paige, who freaks out and confesses her role in Peter's death to Mack and the cops.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Sable tries to gaslight Constance - THE COLBYS
upload_2019-9-17_1-59-39.png

Funnily enough, the idea was based on something that Constance herself had said when she couldn't find her precious bracelet.
Sable realizes the enormous potential if she can prove that Constance is going senile.
But after the tricks with the bracelet and the saddle she does something even more astounding: she involves the unsuspecting Monica in her scheme, but in such a refined way that it can only be interpreted as genuine concern.

2. Emeralds Are Forever - DYNASTY
upload_2019-9-17_2-20-4.png

The deceit actually starts with Krystle, who pawns the necklace in order to provide financial support for Matthew's new business, and keeps a replica in her safe.
Blake finds out but pretends he doesn't know anything about it. He tricks Krystle into believing that he's going to sell the (fake) necklace for some quick capital.
Matthew gives Krystle the money to get the original copy back, and she's horrified to learn that the necklace has been sold (to some "foreigner").
But no, it was actually Blake who bought the original, and he's going to use it to humiliate and punish his wife.

3. Sex & Chaos - DALLAS
upload_2019-9-17_3-6-41.png

Pamela engineers a threesome they'll never forget. And apparently, the same goes for the DALLAS fans.

4. Angela's tricky half-truth - FALCON CREST
upload_2019-9-17_2-52-50.png

In her ongoing quest to demotivate the Giobertis, she presents Chase a recorded conversation between Gus and a Jason.
But only the first part, when a drunken and embittered Jason wails about Chase being a worthless son etcetera.
At the end of the conversation Jason says that he still loves his son, but that's the part we hear after Chase has left the room.

5. Abby's improvisational trickery - KNOTS LANDING
upload_2019-9-17_3-12-15.png
upload_2019-9-17_3-12-29.png
upload_2019-9-17_3-12-44.png

Peter's body and most of the blood has been removed, but that was the easy part.
Even under extreme pressure, Abby proves to be remarkable resourceful.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Angela tricks everyone into believing Jason died in a car acciden to cover up Emma's involvement in his death and to protect her own stake in the Falcon Crest. - FALCON CREST

2. Michael Tyrone tricks everyone into thinking he was murdered as part of his plan to frame Titus. - FLAMINGO ROAD

3. JR tricks Pam into thinking Mark Graison is alive by hiring Gerald Kane to take her around clinics in the Caribbean. - DALLAS

4. Sammy Jo works with Joel to make everyone think Rita is Krystle as part of her scheme to inherit Daniel Reece's estate. - DYNASTY

5. Kit Marlowe tricks Angela and Peter into believing she is Peter's step daughter Skylar Kimble following the murder of the real Skylar. - FALCON CREST

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1) J.R.'s Asian Oil deal: The most infamous oil baron of them all knew in advance about the Asian Oil wells being nationalised, before he sold the leases to the cartel and the Ewing banker. Jock and Bobby had their suspicions. IMHO they were right. J.R. knew fine well that the good friends of his father would suffer, all because of oil. - DALLAS.

2) Jason's explosive second demise: Everything for her beloved wine business, including covering up the tragic accidental death of her brother Jason (because of the will). What a trick the grape loving grandma pulled when she ordered Chao-Li to push Jason's truck over a cliff, with the troubled man's body in the old run down vehicle. Emma wouldn't be in the frame, as regards the timing of the death. - FALCON CREST.

3) Alexis gets her way with Blake, in Rome: The rivalry between the dark haired ex Mrs. Carrington and the blonde haired current Mrs. Carrington got murkier, due to Alexis making Blake sit up and take notice of her, in an early DYNASTY episode. The triumph for Alexis was limited because Blake eventually came to his senses, about the incriminating photos. - DYNASTY.

4) Melissa sets Lance up, for Angela's 'hit and run': Joel McCarthey was bad to the core. Melissa eyed her opportunity to fool her arch rival Mrs. Channing into thinking Lance ran over off the road. When all along she paid Joel to do the dirty deed; take Lance's car, his coat and the stage was set. - FALCON CREST.

5) J.R. looses out to Wendell: Thanks to Kimberly and Sue Ellen J.R.'s aspiration to become the main man at WestStar was dashed. Before Sue Ellen bowed out of the Texas show she done a bit of clever business manoeuvring, leaving ex hubby dearest gob smacked. Old Ewing foe Jeremy Wendell had returned to the board room at WestStar. It was left to Sue Ellen and J.R. to have the last words, in the twilight episode; J.R.: "I'll never forget this Sue Ellen." Sue Ellen: "I certainly hope not!" - DALLAS.

Jock, J.R. and Bobby have a meeting in Ewing Oil. Discussion this time is about the Asian Oil deal. Bobby tells his older brother what he believes and then Jock weighs in, (a scene from season 2; DVD-3, 1979 - '80):

Jock: "J.R. I'm going to ask you a question. I'm going to ask you just once and you're going to answer it. We're never going to mention it again. Did you know those wells were going to be nationalised?"

J.R.: "No Sir I swear it! I'd never have done anything like that to my friends."