the wokeness of the woke-backlash

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it's like they're saying things they have already agreed on. Meaning that, initially, they say what they think but then eventually end up thinking what they're saying. It almost becomes a bit mantra-like, if that makes any sense.
Oh that's really interesting. In a much, much, much more trivial context, that's kind of why I've decided my opinions on films and TV series I've seen, and even music I've listened to, should expire after five years (until such time as I watch or listen to whatever-it-is again). Because after a certain point, I'm not really remembering the thing itself, I'm just remembering my opinion of it and repeating that. I think the danger is, once you've formulated an opinion and articulated it all nice and neatly, your mind can close around it and not allow any new perspectives in, especially on the internet where there is the opportunity to voice your opinion all the live long day. (When I say" you", I mean "me" but that doesn't scan so well.)

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Pretentions of palimpsest. So beautiful.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
that's kind of why I've decided my opinions on films and TV series I've seen, and even music I've listened to, should expire after five years (until such time as I watch or listen to whatever-it-is again). Because after a certain point, I'm not really remembering the thing itself, I'm just remembering my opinion of it and repeating that.
That's kind of how my top 100 greatest motion pictures came about. I thought I knew what I liked best, but most of those films were not included at all.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I said I didn't like it, but I'm not offended or outraged. I wondered if it would be possible to take a step back and look at the bigger picture without getting personal and emotional.
Isn't calling anti-woke people "hysterical" and saying you've lost respect for them an example of "getting personal and emotional"?

That said, I think I'm starting to get what you mean by "the bigger picture." There are people on both sides who have taken hardline stances. I'm all for having an open mind, but I also think certain things are worth taking a firm stance on. The mantra of the medical profession is "do no harm." However, I don't think gender affirming care lives up to that.

Good luck trying to create a world without stupid people doing stupid things. How about the parents who tell their children that black people are bad, or the parents who tell their children that homosexuality is only a disease or confusion?
I think those parents are wrong too. Are we not supposed to speak about things we find wrong in the world because it won't change anything?

Willie Oleson said:
And if the craving for social media attention turns out to be such a harmful thing, shouldn't we get rid of it completely? I mean....if we're seriously concerned about the well-being of "our" children....
Like most things in life, social media can be used for good or bad. The onus is on adults to monitor what children are exposed to. Unfortunately, some adults are irresponsible or have outright nefarious intent. Television and video games were seen as the enemy before social media, but that's not the issue as I see it. What adults choose to consume for entertainment should be their choice. I'm saying it's terrible that adults don't always make the right choices for children, and it seems to me like this is what you take issue with.

He and a thousand other influencers. Except that the other influencers didn't make an upbeat pop song that sounds kinda nice (imo).
I always think, if a movie sucks but it has a great soundtrack then I'm still glad that the movie was made.
Okay, but let's be honest here. It's not like Mulvaney's some great talent. He's just managed to capitalize on a moment in time, as all influencers have in their own way.

However, it makes no difference to me whether people like the song or not. A trans influencer singing about "girlhood" is silly, but ultimately benign. I dislike Mulvaney because I think his entire persona is an act, but that's certainly not unique to him. I think we're all drawn to outrageous, flamboyant clown shows because they catch our attention. Trump, for example, is a love him or hate him personality. Most of us get caught up in that to some degree. And while discussions about these polarizing topics and figures are valid, it's wise to remember there are more pressing issues going on the world. I think Snarky's right that woke ideology is meant to undermine the left. That's why traditionally macho/right-wing institutions have gone woke. It creates controversy and buzz, leaving the elites to continue war mongering while running off with our money unimpeded.

A point - because it is the topic - not a larger point. And I'm not a frequent contributor to the headlines and politics forums so it's not like I'm going on and on about it.
And yet you seem to divert everything I say back to the song, as if that's the only thing I'd be referring to here.

It's really fascinating to see what's going on right now. We are all in the middle of big changes, which is inevitably a hotbed fo reactions and emotions, and then within that change there are these rapid sub-changes that causes everything to be completely out of sync.
In fact, it already starts with the change itself as we are always a step behind. Once it's started it cannot be undone and it no longer matters if we agree with it or not - it's bigger than us. I think it works like an "idea", once the idea exists you can't go back and pretend it's never been born.

But in our very flawed humanity we can only react to specific issues, and the news (and now social media) will make sure that there's never going to be a shortage of issues.
I've been watching quite a few right-wing/anti-woke youtube videos these days, and while I largely agree with what they're saying, I couldn't help but noticing a peculiar narrative.
It's like, now how shall I put this..., it's like they're saying things they have already agreed on. Meaning that, initially, they say what they think but then eventually end up thinking what they're saying. It almost becomes a bit mantra-like, if that makes any sense.
This isn't criticism or anything like that, but at the same time it's something I cannot simply ignore. I can't pretend not to feel or see it.
I think that's largely because the woke movement has been shoved in our face for so long that it created a powder keg.

I recall you telling me that overcorrection was the unfortunate byproduct of the #MeToo movement. I'd say that's applicable to other movements as well.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd like to elaborate on JFL's comment about new perspectives, as my views on a variety of issues have changed considerably over the past 23 years.

For example, I was 18 when 9/11 happened. That started my interest in politics, which put me on a path of conservatism. I was a Bush supporter and defended his wars.

By 2004, I saw how the wars were based around lies and deceit. I then switched to a path of liberalism and become an obedient follower of MSNBC and the Democratic Party.

Then 2015 came around, and my views changed yet again due to the Bernie Sanders movement. I realized both parties served the same wealthy elites and the war machine, so I became an independent. I saw how one's identity (gender, sexuality, race, etc.) was used as a disingenuous shield against all forms of criticism in the name of being woke. "Progressives" in Congress (many of whom are women and POC) began supporting the ruling class and called their former supporters "racists" and "sexists" for pointing it out.

Then trans issues became front and center. The woke turned-on LGBTQ allies for thinking children were too young to make life altering changes to their bodies. Believing that it wasn't a good idea for trans people to compete in biological sports categories was also deemed "problematic." I've been disingenuously called right-wing, homophobic, and transphobic, despite my support for gay rights and trans rights. However, the woke demand complete compliance. Anything less is unacceptable and leads to ostracization.

So yes, I'm capable of having an open mind and changing my views as I see fit. These days, my views are considered too left wing for some and too right wing for others.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Isn't calling anti-woke people "hysterical" and saying you've lost respect for them an example of "getting personal and emotional"?
I said: "The theory of transgender exposure being some kind of magic dust that will mass-result in misguided operations is a little hysterical, imo"
I haven't referred to anyone in particular (I don't even know who the people in those youtube videos are) and I certainly wasn't referring to you personally.
You, on the other hand, often reply to my online persona rather than the content of the subject.
"You think", "according to you", "it seems that you", "you take issue with" (I can quote them all if you like).
There's an accusatory tone in it and that's what I meant with "getting personal".
Are we not supposed to speak about things we find wrong in the world because it won't change anything?
I can't find anything in my previous posts that says the people shouldn't talk about the things that bother them.
I'm saying it's terrible that adults don't always make the right choices for children, and it seems to me like this is what you take issue with.
Why would I take issue with that? I only said that this has been happening, is happening and (unfortunately) will continue to happen regardless of the woke culture.
Some parents refuse medication for their children based on religion and that's terrible. But lots of terrible things happen just because. And if you want to say something about it then no one's going to stop you (or suggest that you should).
Okay, but let's be honest here. It's not like Mulvaney's some great talent. He's just managed to capitalize on a moment in time, as all influencers do in their own way.
I don't care. I don't care about this social media person.
And yet you seem to divert everything I say back to the song, as if that's the only thing I'd be referring to here.
I keep mentioning the song (which, btw, was the original angle for this thread) because you keep bringing up Mulvaney.
I'm capable of having an open mind and changing my views as a I see fit
I don't mind being proven wrong, and I can honestly say that my viewpoints and attitudes from 20 or 30 years ago were quite different.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I said: "The theory of transgender exposure being some kind of magic dust that will mass-result in misguided operations is a little hysterical, imo"
I haven't referred to anyone in particular (I don't even know who the people in those youtube videos are) and I certainly wasn't referring to you personally.
You, on the other hand, often reply to my online persona rather than the content of the subject.
"You think", "according to you", "it seems that you", "you take issue with" (I can quote them all if you like).
There's an accusatory tone in it and that's what I meant with "getting personal".
Honestly, I addressed both the content of your posts and how they came across to me because I thought I was getting an accusatory tone from you as well.

Communication isn't always clear on the Internet either, and I'm not always sure where you're going with certain things.

I can't find anything in my previous posts that says the people shouldn't talk about the things that bother them.
You basically said that stupidity and bad parenting will always be a thing (which I agree with.)

But since you posed it as a question, I don't know what you think the appropriate response is. I thought you meant it's pointless to talk about because it won't change.

Why would I take issue with that? I only said that this has been happening, is happening and (unfortunately) will continue to happen regardless of the woke culture.
Some parents refuse medication for their children based on religion and that's terrible. But lots of terrible things happen just because. And if you want to say something about it then no one's going to stop you (or suggest that you should).
You said both the woke and unwoke were being "nonsensical" and "overprotective" when it comes to children. What's just good old sensical and protective, then?

Yes, bad parenting and other terrible things do happen outside of woke culture. I've commented on them in the past, but woke ideology has been pushed to the forefront.

I don't care. I don't care about this social media person.
Right, just his song.

I keep mentioning the song (which, btw, was the original angle for this thread) because you keep bringing up Mulvaney.
Yes, because he's become representative of the trans movement. His persona is bigger than just this song, regardless of what you think (or don't think) of him.

I don't mind being proven wrong, and I can honestly say that my viewpoints and attitudes from 20 or 30 years ago were quite different.
That's good to know. People can disagree with my views, but they can't say I'm incapable of altering my perspective as needed.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
and I'm not always sure where you're going with certain things
To be honest, neither do I. It starts with the first post and then all you can do is wait and see where it's going to take us.
You said both the woke and unwoke were being "nonsensical" and "overprotective" when it comes to children. What's just good old sensical and protective, then?
I didn't start this thread with a woke or anti-woke attitude.
"The wokeness of the woke backlash" isn't about what they're saying, but how they say it. No matter how nobel the intentions are, there's still the danger of narrow-mindedness that could *possibly* jeopardize the very freedom it stands for. These things can happen in a very, very tricky way and we're usually not aware of it.
And it is because I had been watching several woke-backlash videos continuously (and then finally the pop song video) that I felt a somewhat unsettling feeling creeping up on me.
Again, that doesn't automatically mean that I disagree with what they're saying, and that doesn't automatically mean that I'm underestimating the havoc created by the woke culture.
but woke ideology has been pushed to the forefront
That's what I meant when I mentioned the rapid sub-change within the bigger change. That's what makes it so difficult to keep track of the things that are important, the changes we need to work on simply because they have arrived. It gets very messy and complicated when topics that are deceptively similar to the main changes are pushed to the forefront, but because those sub-topics are so juicy and feisty and deliciously discussable it's very tempting to think that that is what it's ALL about.
Yes, because he's become representative of the trans movement. His persona is bigger than just this song, regardless of what you think (or don't think) of him.
But it's not a crime to be a (self-imposed) representative, it's not a crime to be an awful influencer, it's not a crime to upload those horrible click-bait videos etc etc.
Unless, of course, something actually becomes a crime. But before that happens, we ourselves also need to take some responsibility.
It's a bait .... it's all a bait!!
Unlike you, whore!, I'm above personal insults. I'm sophisticated!

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To be honest, neither do I. It starts with the first post and then all you can do is wait and see where it's going to take us.

I didn't start this thread with a woke or anti-woke attitude.
"The wokeness of the woke backlash" isn't about what they're saying, but how they say it. No matter how nobel the intentions are, there's still the danger of narrow-mindedness that could *possibly* jeopardize the very freedom it stands for. These things can happen in a very, very tricky way and we're usually not aware of it.
And it is because I had been watching several woke-backlash videos continuously (and then finally the pop song video) that I felt a somewhat unsettling feeling creeping up on me.
Again, that doesn't automatically mean that I disagree with what they're saying, and that doesn't automatically mean that I'm underestimating the havoc created by the woke culture.

That's what I meant when I mentioned the rapid sub-change within the bigger change. That's what makes it so difficult to keep track of the things that are important, the changes we need to work on simply because they have arrived. It gets very messy and complicated when topics that are deceptively similar to the main changes are pushed to the forefront, but because those sub-topics are so juicy and feisty and deliciously discussable it's very tempting to think that that is what it's ALL about.
The woke movement put many people on the defensive. They've been disingenuously smeared for so long that they immerse themselves in anti-woke culture. I believe that pushback against the ridiculous aspects of woke ideology is necessary, but it's also important to keep things in perspective. Although I engage in these conversations, I believe it's a divide and conquer tactic of the ruling class (which is why I won't stop calling them out either.) Pushback is necessary sometimes, so long as you don't let it consume you.

But it's not a crime to be a (self-imposed) representative, it's not a crime to be an awful influencer, it's not a crime to upload those horrible click-bait videos etc etc.
Unless, of course, something actually becomes a crime. But before that happens, we ourselves also need to take some responsibility.
I didn't say it was a crime, but it's certainly a con of being on social media. I would never search out Dylan Mulvaney on my own, but he's become impossible to avoid.

And speaking of horrible click-bait videos, AI is now giving banal content creators a run for their money.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There is no such thing as a deep state. Conspiracy much?

The deep state is simply the unelected cabal of intelligence agents. Their history of infiltrating groups is well documented, so there's nothing conspiratorial about it.

The deep state is made up of all the alphabet groups (CIA, FBI, NSA, etc.) Trump had an adversarial relationship with the intelligence community, to which Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said "Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you. So, even for a practical, supposedly hard-nosed businessman, he’s being really dumb to do this." If these agencies have that much power over the president, just imagine the power they have over average citizens.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thread was ruined before WeldonBallou began going off on the transphobes.

And who, do you decree, are they?

I, for one, loves me some trans. As long as no one's choppin' on the 9 year olds.

Some people feel the transmania of the last few years is innately homophobic (i.e., sensitive boys should transition to girls, and tomboy girls should transition into boys).

So are we erasing our gay kids?

And is such a discussion transphobic in itself?

And is alleged transphobia worse than homophobia?

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And who, do you decree, are they?

I, for one, loves me some trans. As long as no one's choppin' on the 9 year olds.

Some people feel the transmania of the last few years is innately homophobic (i.e., sensitive boys should transition to girls, and tomboy girls should transition into boys).

So are we erasing our gay kids?

And is such a discussion transphobic in itself?

And is alleged transphobia worse than homophobia?
The funny thing is there are also trans people who disagree with gender affirming care (namely surgical procedures and puberty blockers) for children.

Detransitioners are also coming out and sharing how they were manipulated into transitioning, and how children have a lot of self-discovery to do before deciding they're actually trans. Being trans has become less about addressing gender dysphoria and more about being trendy. Clout chasing parents have come to see it as a way to seem relevant. A child could simply be gay or experimenting with different styles, but that doesn't bring attention to narcissistic parents. The medical profession is also cashing in.

Even discussing the inherent differences between biological men and women and their trans counterparts is enough to get you labeled a transphobe. And yet trans people are also divided on this issue. Tennis star Martina Navratilova said Renée Richards was the first transsexual to sue for the right to compete in women’s tennis back in the 70s, and she won. Richards later said "I don’t think I should have been allowed to compete, because the advantage is too big." Does that make Richards an internalized transphobe?

I'd like to think that genuine trans people just wish to go about their lives like the rest of us and aren't interested in being the center of attention. It's the people who've become the face of the movement like Dylan Mulvaney who give off grifter vibes. Mulvaney's entire persona is based around the fact that he's trans because he has no personality of his own outside of that. If he was just a gay guy named Dylan, he wouldn't be getting sponsorship deals or putting out an awful pop song. He's just profiting off of what's trendy.

Also, I find it interesting how the person who derailed this thread used a bunch of homophobic tropes as insults. I guess gays really don't matter anymore. Anybody who reacts that emotionally unhinged to a nuanced discussion such as this is either incapable of handling views contrary to their own or is intentionally looking to start a fight. People like that are ultimately harmless on a forum such as this, but it becomes a problem when they're in positions of power. That's why you have governments trying to control speech.

Last edited: