Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-46533245

UK Prime Minister Theresa May will face a vote of confidence in her leadership later on Wednesday.

Speaking outside 10 Downing Street, Mrs May said: "I will contest that vote with everything I have got."

She said a new prime minister would have to scrap or extend Article 50, the mechanism taking Britain out of the EU on 29 March, "delaying or even stopping Brexit".

Conservative MPs will vote from 18:00 GMT to 20:00 GMT.

A result is expected an hour or so later.

The BBC's Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg said a delay to Brexit was "a vital part of the case the prime minister's supporters will be making" as she faces the confidence vote.

Mrs May said changing Conservative leader would "put our country's future at risk and create uncertainty when we can least afford it".

"A leadership election would not change the fundamentals of the negotiation or the Parliamentary arithmetic.

"Weeks spent tearing ourselves apart will only create more division just as we should be standing together to serve our country. None of that would be in the national interest," she said in her statement.

She said she was making progress in her talks with EU leaders and vowed to "deliver on the referendum vote and seize the opportunities that lie ahead".

The Conservatives had to build a "country that works for everyone" and deliver "the Brexit people voted for", she said.

"I have devoted myself unsparingly to these tasks ever since I became prime minister and I stand ready to finish the job."

The challenge to Mrs May's position comes after the required 48 letters calling for a contest were delivered.

One of those who submitted a letter, former minister Owen Paterson, said: "She is sadly determined to stick to her deal which is not going to get through the House of Commons, and worse, if it did get through the House of Commons, she would lose the support of the DUP, which triggers a general election."

Mrs May, who has been prime minister since shortly after the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016, has faced criticism in her party for the Brexit plan she has negotiated.

It is thought the result of the secret ballot could be announced as soon as 21:00 GMT - Mrs May needs to get a majority in her favour to win it.

If that happens she cannot be challenged for at least another year.

If Mrs May does not win the vote there would then be a Conservative leadership contest in which she could not stand.

There is also an option that even if Mrs May won - but not overwhelmingly - she may decide to stand down as party leader.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have about as much sympathy for Theresa May as she had for elderly Caribbean-born people when she gleefully denied them vital healthcare when they got ill in their old age, even though they paid taxes here all their lives, i.e. ABSOLUTELY NONE WHATSOEVER!

I hope she is suffering and feels totally depressed and desperate so she knows how the people who have been hurt by her hateful policies are feeling.

This whole shambles is typical of the vile hypocrites that are the Conservative Party. They already had a vote for their leader 2 years ago. Having a second vote now undermines the will of the Tory electorate and doesn't respect the democracy.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
She's hideous. I am angry how she is allowing Northern Ireland to be treated along with those DUP muppets.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
So this silly bitch wades in just thinking of herself and her people. Don't worry about NI love! We'll be right behind you if Scotland does get that option!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-46533245

SNP MP Joanna Cherry says: "I would like to see Article 50 extended in order to put in place a government that would hold a People's Vote between Theresa May's deal and the option to stay.

"It is vital that we don't get overly focused on Tory in-fighting.

"MPs should be thinking about their constituents and the jobs and living standards that will be affected by Theresa May's deal.

"People now know it is not a choice between deal or no deal. They know there is a third option to remain in the European Union.

"If there is a second referendum, and if England is minded to vote leave and Scotland votes remain again, then Scotland must be allowed the opportunity to choose whether they want to go with Brexit Britain or to be an independent member state of the European Union."

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"If there is a second referendum, and if England is minded to vote leave and Scotland votes remain again, then Scotland must be allowed the opportunity to choose whether they want to go with Brexit Britain or to be an independent member state of the European Union."

The European Union run a scare campaign against Scottish Independence, giving dire warnings that if Scotland broke away from the UK, it would be out of the EU and at the end of a long line waiting for admission. It is a good reminder why the EU should stay neutral in internal affairs of its member states. Now Scotland finds itself dragged out of the EU against its will, the very opposite of what Brussels used to tell them would happen if they stuck with the rest of the UK.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
It's against the will of Northern Ireland and Scotland. It's appalling. Someone told me a joke recently,

"An Englishman, Irishman, Welshman and Scotsman walk into a pub. The Irishman, Welshman and Scotsman are all very happy but the Englishman wants to leave. So they all have to go home".

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's against the will of Northern Ireland and Scotland. It's appalling. Someone told me a joke recently,

"An Englishman, Irishman, Welshman and Scotsman walk into a pub. The Irishman, Welshman and Scotsman are all very happy but the Englishman wants to leave. So they all have to go home".

Wales also voted to leave which was lunacy considering Wales receives more financial support from the EU than any other part of Great Britain.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wales also voted to leave which was lunacy considering Wales receives more financial support from the EU than any other part of Great Britain.

Well, even in England, the people were so well cognizant of what they were voting for, that Cornwall first voted for Brexit en masse, and the very next day started crying foul over the upcoming loss of EU aid.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, apparently she survived for another year by promising she will be out the door before the next election.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
What an absolute anti climax after having to listen to that alllllllllllllllllll day. It's a joke she won.

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The whole Government is a shambles but I do think Theresa May receives an unfair amount of criticism. She didn't support Brexit (rightfully so, in my opinion) but, at least, she stepped up to lead the country when the man who forced the vote walked away because he couldn't handle the pressure.