What Type Of Dallas Series Do You Want To See Now?

What Interests You The Most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ignoring's fine, just don't contradict.

That’s a good point, but ignoring can be a contradiction of sorts if huge pieces, like the movies are ignored. JR could be back in the home, another break down, old age, but to ignore that he finally won control of West Star and Bobby and Sue Ellen owned Ewing Oil together is to big of an ignore not to contradict what we saw. To me the same would go for TNT. I can ignore specific details, but to just act as if it didn’t happen (I guess stretching it as a dream) would seem to go into contradiction territory to me.

1st scene:

John Ross sits up in bed out of breath, sweating, shaken from a dream. The woman in bed with him leans over, “John Ross are you OK?”

“Yeah. Yeah. I just had a horrible dream. My dad hadn’t died, he’d been back in the home and then . . . It was just horrible. I was so alone.”

She holds him. “No sweetheart. You’re not alone. You’re never alone.” He holds her back, crying into her shoulder. “It was just a bad dream. That’s all.” She strokes his hair.

* Your guess as to who she is.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If TV execs are looking into what they can do with Dallas, they are going to weigh up the pros and cons.

A continuation of a continuation that didn't work and lost millions of viewers along the way - do they take the bad from the good and try again...would it be worth it and would it attract new fans as well as old ones?

A continuation that ignores the TNT Dallas and starts with the funeral of J.R. Would that attract new fans though and would it alienate older fans?

A remake/reboot of the series featuring new actors in classic roles - but also recycles the plots and storylines? Would it attract new fans or alienate older fans?

A complete remake/reboot - brand new plots and storylines with new actors playing classic characters- something new to discover for new fans and something older fans may take a look at or completely alienate them?

Tough call, do you go after new viewers or older fans - as a TV exec you'd have to go after new viewers, you can't make a show for fans, you HAVE to make it for a general audience IMO.

Well said. And I agree. But I think in doing such, TNT could have been more loyal to the original (like same interior) to provide a sense of continuation. Otherwise why not just do another shoe. I think TNT also focused too much on original Dallas to be successful at attracting a new audience. So on the one hand they alienated fans and on the other they focused on those fans (even though they did a bad job at it) and could gain enough of a new fan base.

(I also agree with posters that prequels are best for TV movies or miniseries. And I don’t think a reboot would be much unless they went like Dynasty and really went all different, in which case I wouldn’t be interested but others might).

So what about a continuation? You and me think so I’m going to post a few questions to get at what others think.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A re-boot or re-make is the only viable way forward. I can't see Warner Brothers sanctioning another continuation after the disastrous performance worldwide of the TNT Cyntax Dallas.

I'd haul David Jacobs out of retirement to act as an Executive Consultant. I'd appoint writers who would've worked on the original show like David Paulsen & Lee Rich, but bring in new writers too.

I would not approach Cynthia Cidre or Mike Robin, it was their incompetence which drove the TNT Dallas series into the ground. :(

I agree. I’d also add a super fan from this site who’s watched every episode multiple times to consult. And I’d add a corporate lawyer to consult in the business dealings.