What was the last film you watched?

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
We studied Macbeth, too, but in that case we were taken to a screening of the Orson Welles version. Don't remember much about it now.
The Orson Welles film is not the best version and not the most faithful telling of the story. Again, I think the Roman Polanski version is the closest to Shakespeare's text of those that I've seen.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Cyrano (2021)

Cyrano-Poster-Full.jpg


Overall, I kind of liked this film. Changing the story so Cyrano is a man with dwarfism rather than having a huge nose really worked and Peter Dinklage has a great screen presence. It's a musical and the songs let it down as most of them were instantly forgettable but they are well staged and the dance sequences were good.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Mass (2021)

MV5BNDA4ZWRjZTctNzRiNy00OWM4LTk5M2UtNWJkN2E0MDBkZTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg


Two couples meet at a church too discuss a mass shooting at a school. One couple is the parents of one of the murdered students and the other couple is the parents of the student who did the shootings. I don't know the history of the making of the film and if it was impacted by Covid lockdowns but in many ways it's a perfect film to make in these times because 90% of the film is just 4 actors in one room. It is an acting tour de force by all 4 main leads but particular Ann Dowd (Aunt Lydia in The Handmaid's Tale) and had this film been made by a major studio and not an independent one she would be nominated for all the major film awards this season. The film is totally gripping well worth watching.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Rebeccca (2020)
I had watched the original movie with Laurence Olivier from 1940 before. It was interesting to see how this movie compared to that one. :)
As I was watching this I tried to figure out where I had watched the leading lady before. She looked familiar but I couldn't really place her. Then it finally dawned on me that it was the same actress who played "Young Donna" on "Mamma Mia 2".

The settings in the movie were gorgeous. It was also really nice to see it in color. But the original movie, which was directed by Hitchcock, was more suspenseful and had more mystery to it. It also seemed darker and had a more gothic vibe due to being in black and white. The original movie also had the advantage of being set closer to the actual time era. In this movie it is pretty obvious it's 2020 even though they have the 1920s cars etc.

If anyone's curious about the movie. Here's a trailer:

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Arthur (1981)

MV5BZjc4NGYwYmQtZDgyYi00OTQ1LWJmOTgtNWEwNmY1NjczMzVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI4MjkwNjA@._V1_.jpg


I was at the gym earlier this week when Arthur's Theme was played on the radio and I thought what a great song and brilliant voice Christopher Cross's sang it with. It made me think I need to watch this film as I've never seen it. Arthur Bach is a playboy who is promised a fortune from his family when he marries Susan but he becomes attracted to poor shoplifting Linda. The best thing in film was his butler Hobson, played by Sir John Gielgud, and his acerbic asides and withering put downs. He completely steals the film. The rest of the film is just OK.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I watched "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" (2019) yesterday afternoon.
It was an interesting movie. The plot was pretty thin. But yeah it was a what if sort of story that had a rather surprising ending.
I didn't realize how the pieces of the puzzle fit together until the very end of the movie as there were some scenes with some hippies that made no sense to me until suddenly it did.

The movie also portrayed some real life people, which was something that took me a while to understand, as they mixed scenes with fictional people and real life people.

I was also a little disappointed to realize that Luke Perry's scene had been cut. It was among the deleted scenes.
Oh and it took me ages to realize that the director of the movie they were filming was played by Nicholas Hammond - one of the kids from Sound of Music!

Here's a trailer for the movie:

 
Last edited by a moderator:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
I watched "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" (2019) yesterday afternoon.
It was an interesting movie. The plot was pretty thin. But yeah it was a what if sort of story that had a rather surprising ending.
I didn't realize how the pieces of the puzzle fit together until the very end of the movie as there were some scenes with some hippies that made no sense to me until suddenly it did.

The movie also portrayed some real life people, which was something that took me a while to understand, as they mixed scenes with fictional people and real life people.

I was also a little disappointed to realize that Luke Perry's scene had been cut. It was among the deleted scenes.
Oh and it took me ages to realize that the director of the movie they were filming was played by Nicholas Hammond - one of the kids from Sound of Music!

Here's a trailer for the movie:

This was one of those movies that I thoroughly enjoyed yet everyone I recommended it to absolutely hated it. Without giving anything away I really love the ending most of all. I think it’s the best part of the movie and really does a great job of bringing everything full circle.
 

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
Hitch is my favorite Director of all time and not all of his films are classics either. but my favorite isn't Rebecca though that is a really damn good movie. the i love the most out of all of them is (1959)'s North By Northwest. i love this movie so much that it's hard to say why for those who haven't seen it. if there are some that have never seen it watch it as soon as you possibly can. the last one i watched as i've been in the mood to watch old movies from the 30's recently is called Broadway Musketeers From (1938) what it really is though is a remake of 1932's Three on a match which is a far far better film that one has Bette Davis in it, Joan Blondell Ann Dvork i think that's how you spell her name? Bogie i believe was in it too.

and it's a far better written movie too i think. this one was a decent movie to be fair and honest the remake i mean. Bogie wasn't in this one though but the girl who played the little girl was adorable though. looking her up she's still alive actually and this year she turns 87! if you can believe that. there was i watched last week that is a MUST SEE called "While the Patient Slept' from (1934) it's a wonderful B movie that was a murder Mystery too boot. i truly loved this one and i had never even heard of it before. but it's so worth checking out

i honestly dunno if it's on dvd or blu-ray... etc... but if you can find it by all means watch it you will love it. it's one of those that's mainly a mystery but it's also got comedy in it too.
though the film isn't a comedy at all let me add.
Ann Dvorak. I’ve got some of her movies, including Three on a Match. I’ve got The Crowd Roars coming up soon, which has her with James Cagney and Joan Blondell. She is said to have swapped roles with Joan Blondell in that. And I have got her in Scarface and The Strange Love of Molly Louvain. All on DVD.

Three on a Match also features Warren William, who I love to watch. And Humphrey Bogart is indeed in it too.

I’ve got North by Northwest on DVD.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
i love love Three on a match (1932) Scarface also (1932) i watched it years ago for one reason Boris Karloff has a part in it and i will watch that man in really anything and it was an awful film at least i think so anyways
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
if i recall Davis thought damn near all her Roles before (1936) or was it (1937) shit cept maybe for a couple i think? if my memory is right that is lol.
ya know what? they aren't yes some of them are bad like The Bad sister (1931) her 1st film that is f... terrible and she's awful in it as well i will agree with her on that one.
they also made her look so damn plain in it as well that line where she heard that one studio head talk about her lack of sex appeal look at this film and you would agree with them. another favorite of mine is her 1st big role "The Man Who Played God" (1932) With George Arliss i love that movie and i've watched it many many times.
it was really her big break even though she wasn't getting fantastic roles as it took sometime but she did get i think better roles as in some of them i think are pretty damn good films such as 20,000 years in Sing Sing (1933) is one of them
 

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
Blonde Crazy. (1931). With James Cagney and Joan Blondell as a couple of fun con artists, who get closer to each other. And Ray Milland, who Cagney calls a dirty, double-crossing rat. Joan Blondell slaps James Cagney several times too. Charles Lane, who lived to 102, and was still acting in the early 2000s, pops up too.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957)
This film is reputedly the worst movie ever made but I'm not so sure.
The effects are rubbish and the acting is wooden but it's not dull. I've seen any number of films with higher production values that had less plot.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Mass (2021)

MV5BNDA4ZWRjZTctNzRiNy00OWM4LTk5M2UtNWJkN2E0MDBkZTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg


Two couples meet at a church too discuss a mass shooting at a school. One couple is the parents of one of the murdered students and the other couple is the parents of the student who did the shootings. I don't know the history of the making of the film and if it was impacted by Covid lockdowns but in many ways it's a perfect film to make in these times because 90% of the film is just 4 actors in one room. It is an acting tour de force by all 4 main leads but particular Ann Dowd (Aunt Lydia in The Handmaid's Tale) and had this film been made by a major studio and not an independent one she would be nominated for all the major film awards this season. The film is totally gripping well worth watching.
100% agree, this one was really good. Besides I always love me some Isaac...! :spinning: #SaveTheOA
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
1644714931810.png

What I like the most about this movie is that it always stays one step ahead of me, and that feeling will be even stronger if you watch it for the first time.
A new song, a new decor with eye-popping props, another guest star, Ann-Margret in yet another fabulous costume - and because it's always faster than I am it never feels as if it tries to impress or bedazzle me.
As if Tommy World was already there, and they decided to play and sing in it and then someone else decided to film it.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Top