What was the last film you watched?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
I don't feel bad that this gave me a medium sized chortle.
Touché.
Some years ago it was used in an endless series of heavily-aired ghastly gynocentric commercials for British retailer Boots. I can no longer even hear it without feeling traumatised.
Yes I can see how that can work against it. Let's hope they'll never use Donna Summer's I Feel Love . I'd hate to hate it (title obscured for anti-algorithm purposes).
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949)
Bing Crosby musical loosely based on the Mark Twain novel. A couple of hit songs and a few blah ones. Crosby's laid back style ensures that nothing is taken very seriously - not even an impending execution.
 
Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
the Uncharted film was decent it wasn't a great film but it was decent they made sully such a f.. dick that really angered me i love Sully and he's my favorite character from the games. the movie is really more so a remake of the 4th game in some aspects they left out Sam's story though. the final fight was more or less really close to the end of the game the way they found the ship at the end of the game was spot on with the game they really were close and for that i loved them. i love Tom Holland but really Nathan Fillion should have been cast instead he's older yes but check out that short he made a few years ago it was f... brilliant.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989)
One of those films which made a big splash at the time but which I never got around to seeing.
It's not as salacious as the hype would have you believe - or maybe that's just because it's now 30 years later. It's mostly just talk, but still very compelling. I get the feeling that this is what Hope Springs would have liked to be but couldn't pull off.
Also a very interesting cast from a 30 years later perspective - an extremely young, non-bald James Spader, Peter Gallagher before The OC, Laura San Giacomo who went onto a number of good things, and Andie MacDowell, known for Groundhog Day, but who I've thought never quite made it as big as she should have.
 

Biggie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
4
 
Awards
14
Barbie.

Don't expect anything groundbreaking, but if you're looking to a fun and easy to digest movie... Barbie delivers just that.

Some well choreographed set pieces, some comedy and two excellent ladies at the forefront doing the do. Margot Robbie and America Ferrera.

Star of the show.... Amy Sosa!
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
The Flash (2023)
There are all sorts of reasons that I shouldn't like this:
The Flash himself - his superpower is that he can run real fast? And I've never liked the shared universe concept. As I've said before, I think the heroes are best served as the sole hero in their own worlds. The shared universe dilutes them all.
But in this case, the two things seem to cancel each other out - since I'm indifferent to the Flash, I don't mind that he's overshadowed by Supergirl and the various Batmans.
And speaking of Supergirl, being a traditionalist, I really shouldn't like this very non-traditional portrayal. But I find myself liking her very much as a character and I'm quite happy to accept her as another Supergirl from another timeline, and for Sasha Calle to repeat the role as the star of her own film.
All things considered, I'd call this the most entertaining DC film of the modern era.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
The Flash (2023)
There are all sorts of reasons that I shouldn't like this:
The Flash himself - his superpower is that he can run real fast? And I've never liked the shared universe concept. As I've said before, I think the heroes are best served as the sole hero in their own worlds. The shared universe dilutes them all.
But in this case, the two things seem to cancel each other out - since I'm indifferent to the Flash, I don't mind that he's overshadowed by Supergirl and the various Batmans.
And speaking of Supergirl, being a traditionalist, I really shouldn't like this very non-traditional portrayal. But I find myself liking her very much as a character and I'm quite happy to accept her as another Supergirl from another timeline, and for Sasha Calle to repeat the role as the star of her own film.
All things considered, I'd call this the most entertaining DC film of the modern era.
I can't understand why The Flash (2023) was a box office flop because I think it was a really good superhero film and one of the best DC ones. I thought the actor playing Barry/The Flash was great in the role with the right balance of quirkiness, humour, likeability and heroics. I liked how they dealt with the origin story without getting too bogged down in it, allowing for the action of the main plot of the film to take centre stage. It was great seeing the different iterations of Batman and Superman and the other superheroes which made it almost a mini Justice League film. It was a strong film all around.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Downsizing (2017)
1690413137600.png
The first half of the film is all about the fascinating Sci-Fi and mini worlds, but that no longer matters in the second half when it all looks like the real world.
Disappointing.

Cosmopolis (2012)
1690413570350.png
Playing this role without falling asleep may be the greatest acting achievement of all time.

I can deal with "boring" dialogue, but boring and monotone is asking too much. But it's my own fault because I mistakenly believed I was watching a Lars von Trier film but it turns out it was made by David Cronenberg. If I had known I probably wouldn't have bothered.
 

Cutie

Telly Talk Newbie
LV
0
 
I can't understand why The Flash (2023) was a box office flop because I think it was a really good superhero film and one of the best DC ones. I thought the actor playing Barry/The Flash was great in the role with the right balance of quirkiness, humour, likeability and heroics.
I know that can't be the only reason but i think the antipathy towards Ezra Miller might have played a role.
 

Cutie

Telly Talk Newbie
LV
0
 
I know nothing about Ezra Miller and I didn't realise some people had a negative view of him. I thought he was great in the role and came across as being very likeable.
Negative view doesn't even begin to cover it , Ezra Miller got away with lots of f'ed stuff.
Here this pretty much chronicles most of the controversies he has gotten involved in:

Also I've heard some people say The Flash and the New Spiderman movie(across the spiderverse) were released around the same time, had similar themes and Spiderman did it so much better. That also might be why.
I haven't seen The Flash but i have seen Spiderman. I'd recommend you see it.
 

Cutie

Telly Talk Newbie
LV
0
 
Clsoe by Lukas Dhont. It was amazing i bawled my eyes out. If you don't mind the tw's go watch it. It's on Mubi still.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Negative view doesn't even begin to cover it , Ezra Miller got away with lots of f'ed stuff.
Here this pretty much chronicles most of the controversies he has gotten involved in:
Gosh, I had no idea he was such a controversial figure.

I haven't seen The Flash but i have seen Spiderman. I'd recommend you see it.
I'm hoping to see it soon, the first Spiderman Into The Spiderverse film was excellent.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
John Farnham: Finding the Voice (2023)
Documentary chronicling the career of the artist formerly known as Johnny Farnham, one of Australia's best-loved singers, especially the recording of the iconic album Whispering Jack and single "You're the Voice."
Not much that wasn't already well-known but well told through interviews with some of those who were part of the story.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Clsoe by Lukas Dhont. It was amazing i bawled my eyes out. If you don't mind the tw's go watch it. It's on Mubi still.
This is a lovely film. This is a quote from how I described it earlier in this thread when I was raving about it and all these months later the film still lingers in my memory.

The film portrays the devastating consequences of society's pressures and expectations on the depth and authenticity of their friendship. It is a tragic tale of how the world can take away someone's innocence at a vulnerable age when he lacks the psychological and emotional tools to understand its impact. This is a beautiful, intelligent and sensitive film, superbly acted, especially by the young actor playing Leo.
 

Cutie

Telly Talk Newbie
LV
0
 
This is a lovely film. This is a quote from how I described it earlier in this thread when I was raving about it and all these months later the film still lingers in my memory.
Oh I'm just seeing your comment. It makes me so happy seeing people talk about this film. I too could go on and on about how great this film is for hours.
I should go back and read earlier posts, I wonder what sort of gems i will come across.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
Oppenheimer (2023)

I wasn’t too excited about seeing this one over some of the other summer blockbusters but I was kind of talked into it at the last minute. Good movie, but I just found it way too long and drawn out. It clicked in at just under three hours and to be honest I think they could’ve told the story in about two. Definitely worth seeing if you’re interested in the story and all the behind the scenes craziness that led up to the building of “The Bomb.” But after “The Bomb” is test launched it’s the movie that kind of, well, no pun intended, starts to bomb. I would suggest having low expectations and a nice long nap before seeing this.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5

guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-three-newbutton-1676306275720.jpg
​
Now available to stream on Disney+ I found the third instalment predicable and way too long at 150 minutes. A good 30 minutes could have been shaved off this movie and still told the story. When watching this I'm left wondering what comes first; the story or letting the imagination run wild with CGI.

6/10
 
Top