what did you think of it? if i hadn't known it was a comedy before i saw it i would really have hated it and so i viewed it as a comedy which what it sadly is
I think every soap opera becomes a comedy if you give the story in a nuthsell.
But I know what you mean, yes there was the obligatory old world meets new world antics which allowed Johnny Depp to do his "confused" act, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been - and he sure knows how to deliver bombastic dialogue.
The old housekeeper made me laugh out loud, Angelique was OTT wicked and Tim Burton's trademark gothic-kitsch is always pleasant to watch.
I had expected an Addams Family clone, but the passion and the hatred seemed to be enshrined in daytime soap "reality".
The 1970s setting didn't impact the story in a positive or negative way, the Dr. Hoffman character was the best part of it and at least there was no performance by The Village People.
It also illustrated why a soap is a soap, and not a movie. The Victoria Winters character felt like an afterthought, eventhough her arrival at Collinsport suggested otherwise.
There simply wasn't enough time to make the best of every character, but in the "fun homage" genre I thought it was a decent movie. I've seen worse, much worse.