What was the last film you watched?

Werewillie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
corridor-of-mirrors-47969102392933d2612009ed6fb9ae4c.jpg


Not very suspenseful, but the sets and costumes are a Dynasty fan's wank-job.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Creed II. Absolutely brilliant.

Swami

I enjoyed it, but did not think it was as clever as the first, and with the story and the characters (Drago's fall from grace, his son working manual labor and being kinda bullied by him) I thought it could have been top notch.
 

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
1
 
Awards
3
I enjoyed it, but did not think it was as clever as the first, and with the story and the characters (Drago's fall from grace, his son working manual labor and being kinda bullied by him) I thought it could have been top notch.

I thought there was plenty of good stuff between Drago and his son. The fight sequences were superb.

Swami
 

Werewillie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-4626c55f1a1daa37acb6049e0a01a96e.jpg


Charming and beautiful, one interesting twist and one terribly awkward bad CGI moment.
It's very difficult for these kind of predictable stories to become outstanding or extraordinary, and just like in every other fantasy movie the magical creatures are the spitting image of the human stereotypes.
The movie does what it has to do but offers little else, it's excessively sugared popcorn for the brains. Which is nice, but it also undermines the opportunity to create a "Wow!" moment and there's nothing for the viewer to discover.

My favourite characters were the kids and the evil foster mother, and also the prominent Shaw family (I could already smell the first soap bubbles).
And Pickett, he was the smallest but most interesting creature.

I've also noticed that witches have nothing to do, they don't write or type, they don't cook or set the table. Absolutely nothing.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Yesterday I watched Die Trapp-Familie (1952) which is the German film that the Sound of Music was based on. It was an interesting watch not least because of the many similarities with the Sound of Music (1965) including some scenes which were almost identical.

220px-Die_Trapp_Familie_Poster.jpg
 

Werewillie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Arrival%2C_Movie_Poster.jpg


I think it's a non-musical movie based on the ABBA album.
This movie was released the same year that all ABBA members made a public appearance again (plus the announcement of their future(istic) hologram project).

poster,220x200,ffffff-pad,220x200,ffffff.u5.jpg

OK, I get it.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Saving Mr Banks. I first saw it at the cinema a couple of years ago and saw it again on TV on Christmas Eve. I liked it even more the second time, such a great film and Emma Thompson's performance is outstanding.

movieposter.jpg

Just watched this on the iPlayer. Started off thinking, yeah it's good, but the flashbacks are a bit too explainy and convenient, and of course the plotting is somewhat inevitable, but gradually it all came together and by the end, any reservations had melted away and I was a blubbering mess.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I watched "La La Land" (2016) last night and I must say that I was disappointed as I had expected more from this academy award winning musical! :(

I think the plot was thin, the actors dancing and singing left something to be desired and even their chemistry left me cold. At the end when they look at each other I am supposed to feel something but I feel nothing. So this is not a memorable film IMHO and I doubt it will become a classic that people will still want to watch 40 years from now.


Actually I think that is a huge part of the problem. See I am used to watching classical movies from the 1940s to 1970s and back then musicals was musicals with a big M. So if you compare the actors of this new movie to the classic stars of yesteryears they can't hold a candle to them. Compared to stars like Julie Andrews, (I watched the original Mary Poppins the night before), Howard Keel and Doris Day the leads can't sing...


and compared to stars like Fred Astaire, Marge and Gower Champion they can't dance either!


Usually when I watch classical musicals I am in awe of the stars talent. When I watched La La Land I sighed and thought to myself that even I could sing better than the female lead and that is not a good thing! :fp:

I guess a part of the problem is that after "Moulin Rougue!" when Nicole Kidman made such a success out of singing herself people in Hollywood thinks that anyone can sing. So they no longer hire singers who can act for musical roles but rather actresses who can't sing. There are exceptions of course as I do think Amanda Seyfried is wonderful in the Mamma Mia! Movies. She can sing. So I guess the next time I will be watching a modern musical movie it's likely to be "A Star is born" (2018) since at least I know that Lady Gaga can sing! ;)

So how could "La La Land" win 6 Academy awards? :confuse:
My guess is that either the bar has been lowered so much by modern films that we no longer expect greatness and then we applaud any attempt at a classical approach, or maybe it's just because the people who vote for the Academy awards are all part of the club. They have all arrived in La La Land at one point or another and struggled before they became stars and probably had a love that helped them along the way. So it's a story that most people in Hollywood can identify with and feel nostalgic about.

But to me, someone from the outside, I can't help but wonder how come great actors in the past like Richard Burton could never win an academy award while someone like Emma Stone wins it for this role! It is a mystery to me. :eyes:

I mean I have seen plenty of actor and actresses in our favorite soap operas who are IMHO more talented than her and yet they've never won an academy award and most likely never will. :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
Mama Mia 2. I loved it, and it's a pretty accurate representation of what it's like inside my head most days. My life is mostly an ABBA musical. Only the rest of the world don't have the volume up.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
Evil under the sun is a great film. but i watched a really bad one, but i've seen far far worse. it was called The Student Nurses and old Corman film from (1970)

and i was telling a friend how i don't get how a bad film as that one is was a huge hit back than? he goes did it have nudity? i said some and he goes there ya go. he sadly may be right but just cause a film as any nudity does not qualify it to be any good.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Okay so I re-watched "Mamma Mia 2" (2018) tonight. I actually liked it better than the first time I saw it. There are some sad parts but at least this time it didn't make me cry, as it did when I watched it at the cinema this fall.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I watched "The Post" on the flight back to the US this Christmas break. Meryl Streep has taken her ease of stepping into a role to ridiculous levels over the decades.

__5aa069e8c19c2.jpg
 
Top