What was the last film you watched?

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Very nice but I don't understand why they had to do such a confusing ending.
Was it confusing? I just thought it gave the viewer something to think about rather than just having a straightforward ending.

It was just like the film Sliding Doors giving 2 alternative outcomes of what would have happened had that or had they not played the game.
 
Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Greenland
Greenland_(film).png
Available on Amazon Prime
It was okay as a popcorn movie but followed a tried and tested formula.​
 

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
One Night in Miami (2020)
Regina King's film adaption of a stage play where activist Malcolm X (Kingsley Ben-Adir), singer Sam Cooke (Leslie Odom Jr.), football star Jim Brown (Aldis Hodge) and boxer sensation Cassius Clay (Eli Goree) meet and talk about being what they are in that time, on February 25, 1964. Historians may know this is one day after my birth (the real event to celebrate, but it's not mentioned... ;) ). King trusts her actors to shine and they do with some entertaining moments before and after the night in a hotel room. Leslie Odom Jr. received some award nominations but it's Eli Goree as Clay who decides to rename himself I was impressed with most. Goree isn't just convincing as a boxer he's also able to capture the special charisma and attitude the young boxer had. 7/10
---
La vita davanti a sé (The Life Ahead; 2020)
Sophia Loren plays a former prostitute who looks out for homeless children. A young refugee who just robbed her becomes her newest roomer and she isn't pleased about it. This Italian drama has some very touching moments and the sometimes less exciting story is lifted by Loren's engaging performance. Her son Edoardo Ponti's direction is flawless and like a modern version of Italy's neo-realism in the 1950's where social life is well observed. 6/10
---
Young Promising Woman (2020)
I didn't want to see this film because I knew it has something to do with rape. But then I've read a piece and gave it a try. I'm overwhelmed. Never before I've seen a revenge story that gave me relief because it's told with a different view. We don't see a rape. There is one scene with violence but it's filmed in perspectives that don't zoom into the faces of those involved. Carey Mulligan plays the best friend of a rape victim and she's hanging out in bars somewhere in Ohio, where misogynist horny men try to lure her into a trap - not realizing it's the other way around... While it's sometimes funny we soon discover her life was affected by the friend's too.

Emerald Fennell directs this story (also written by her) which is part satire or black comedy and mostly thriller. And it has a very memorable twist I didn't see coming that results in a unhappy but happy ending. What? Yes, you don't want to but you'll smile at the end. Of all the movies that are currently in consideration for awards this is the one I want to see win big: Emerald Fennell for directing and the screenplay, and Carey Mulligan for best actress who gave me also a Margot-Robbie-in-I, Tonya-vibe, a lead you want to follow. Coincidentally Robbie co-produced Young Promising Woman with Fennell - it's the best film I've seen in the last months! 10/10
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Wild Oats (2015)

81Or9IvAcXL._RI_.jpg


I'm not quite sure how this ended up saved in my Prime stuff but I'm glad it did as I enjoyed it very much. Shirley MacLaine and Jessica Lange make a captivating and funny double act. Demi Moore was unexpectedly tolerable. Perhaps the biggest curio is Stephanie Beacham having a go at an American accent for her character.

A nice, unchallenging feelgood film, and a fun way to spend an hour and a half.

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Cider With Rosie (2015)

cider-with-rosie-1998.jpg


Beautiful; dark; idyllic; brutal; charming; poignant; funny and haunting.

June Whitfield and Annette Crosbie are great fun as rival grandmothers who live in different parts of the house, banging on the floor/ceiling with their brooms.​
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Cider With Rosie (2015)

cider-with-rosie-1998.jpg


Beautiful; dark; idyllic; brutal; charming; poignant; funny and haunting.

June Whitfield and Annette Crosbie are great fun as rival grandmothers who live in different parts of the house, banging on the floor/ceiling with their brooms.​
I've never seen this but I really must get around to changing that.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I've never seen this but I really must get around to changing that.

It's a lovely film with some gorgeous Cotswold locations and an underlying darkness. I've found it quite haunting in that I've felt a bit melancholy since watching, even though it didn't feel hugely impactive as I watched.

I haven't read the book or seen any other version, so I don't know how it compares, but I suspect it's pretty close.

Actually, I've just realised the images I posted above are from the 1998 film, rather than the 2015 film I actually watched. So the two versions are obviously similar enough to have fooled me.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
The Little Things (2021)

0*-MvxEoc6qoGSPI8V.jpg


Not sure how to describe this film. It's a murder mystery with a difference with a twist that some will like and others will be indifferent to. Can't say too much as I don't want to give away too much of the plot. Overall the film was okay but it didn't blow me away.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Caught In The Act (1996)

71Rn-rihY+L._RI_.jpg



A bit random, and the acting was a little hit and miss but it was entertaining enough. It would make a great Sunday afternoon kind of film. The kind of thing that doesn't take too much effort or concentration.​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Lad: A Yorkshire Story (2011)


Perfect for a weekday matinee. A nice, heartwarming story. Some of the cast seemed quite inexperienced, which somehow enriched the experience. And the Yorkshire Dales scenery was welcome breath of fresh air in this lockdown.

It seems the decade-long battle for the film to find an audience is a story in itself.​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Abandoned (2015)
AKA Stranded


Kind of like Open Water without the sharks (mostly) and with four alpha males in place of the stressed married couple. And also based on a true story.

It's appropriately claustrophobic and got across the challenges the men faced and the practicalities of things like collecting rainwater to drink and catching birds and fish to eat. It even answered the question of where one poops in a capsized trimaran. It feels like this could easily be adapted to a four man stage play.​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Black Rock (2012)

81Na-GkhfzL._RI_.jpg


I watched based on nothing but the cover image of the woman in the water. It wasn't even that clear from the write-up what the plot was to be. Which is all to the good.

Turns out it's a hybrid of And Then There Were None; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; Lost and that episode of Sons and Daughters where Chris Bainbridge made Fiona play hide and seek at Woombai. With a bit of teen angst, a glossy Nineties slasher soundtrack and a random section where two of the leading female characters strip naked and hug and slap one another. It's got the lot, really.

 
Top