1983-84: the best season

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m finishing up a rewatch of this season. IMHO, it’s the strongest season of the series. Why? It looks beautiful, for one thing (and we‘ve discussed Bradford May’s photography in various threads). More importantly, pretty much all the stories works, the season is well paced, and everything seems to have been carefully thought out. That’s particularly impressive when a show is producing 30 episodes within a calendar year. Specifically:
  • Bobby and Pam’s divorce is well handled, with both of them occasionally flirting with reconciliation and then reluctantly moving on due to external forces.
  • Jenna is a much better character here than she is in subsequent seasons. She has a backbone, standing up to Bobby multiple times when she feels he’s treating her as a rebound or when he’s trying to control her life
  • Mark’s illness and how it will prevent Pam from reconciling with Bobby is classic soap opera. And while Mark is not one of my favorite characters, he partially redeems himself with his selfless exit from the canvas.
  • JR attempting to bankrupt Cliff by manipulating him into investing in Gold Canyon 340 is great. Cliff is such a buffoon. And that plot carefully builds throughout the season, starting with the Edgar Randolph subplot.
  • Miss Ellie and Clayton have nice chemistry as a couple and I’m rooting for them. I also like how they handled the mastectomy issue - good continuity with earlier episodes.
  • We finally get to learn more about Clayton’s background, and the mystery surrounding the Southern Cross fire is intriguing. Plus, Alexis Smith as Jessica is well cast. The show really missed the boat by not continuing to dive into Clayton’s background in future seasons.
  • Katherine‘s two-faced act is a lot of fun. And she’s especially fun when she drops that act for people she doesn’t like, such as Cliff.
  • Despite the miscasting of Chris Atkins, the Sue Ellen/Peter story works due to the show build and because it happens out of her loneliness. And there’s a great payoff at the end of the season with how JR toys with both of them after he finds out. I love it when Sue Ellen tries to push Peter out of his Southfork job ostensibly because of her concern for Lucy’s feelings, and JR replies, “Your concern for your niece is touching, if a little sudden.” This is the JR we want to see, not the one of the later years, who is beaten at every turn. He’s in command and he knows it, and needles his opponents with humor.
Some nitpicks:
  • The writers struggle to come up with anything interesting for Ray and Donna to do after Mickey dies. It’s the classic soap opera conundrum: we like to see our favorite couples together, but they’re more interesting when the relationship is troubled. No worries, Krebbses: you’ll get your turn next season.
  • I’m not really buying Lucy being obsessed with Peter. He has even less chemistry with her than with Sue Ellen. Lucy’s interested in him because he’s the only other person in her age group on the show. But it works well for the plot.
  • Pam could easily solve the issue with Mark pressuring her into marriage by saying, “Mark, I care about you but I just got a divorce and I don’t want to rush into marriage again.”
  • Bobby proposing to Jenna while he’s still upset about Pam and Mark’s engagement should be a red flag to Jenna, who seems pretty conscious of the rebound issues with him.
  • Katherine’s descent into madness is too fast.
  • Jerry Kenderson should be reported to the AMA for a violation of his Hippocratic oath. Confiding to Pam about Mark’s terminal illness before Mark himself knows is bad enough. Keeping that secret for weeks on end is unforgivable.
I’m sorry to get to the end of the season, because I know the next season starts awfully slowly.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All good points, but I'll touch base on the Jerry Kenderson situation. At that point, Pam was more Ewing than she was Barnes and she wasn't going to stop until she got the info she wanted.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
S2 original then 4-6 original ending with Bobby being shot is my favourite time period in Dallas and it was never bettered - great croe cast and supporting actosrs and storylines, No Internet to spoil it only the National Enquirer and USA being a few weeks ahead of UK so it did lead to spoilers but I could live with that

I loved S5 original with the fight for EO, Miss Ellie and Pam against the family, fighting Jocks will, Bobby and Pam breaking up, JR and Sue Ellen falling in and out of love again, Lucy and Mickey - there was just so much going on that season -

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
All good points, but I'll touch base on the Jerry Kenderson situation. At that point, Pam was more Ewing than she was Barnes and she wasn't going to stop until she got the info she wanted.
Patient confidentiality is paramount, he had no right to tell her regardless of pressure and should have been seriously reprimanded over that one - as she wasnt a blood relative and he did break the Hippocratic oath as @Chris2 says

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Patient confidentiality is paramount, he had no right to tell her regardless of pressure and should have been seriously reprimanded over that one - as she wasnt a blood relative and he did break the Hippocratic oath as @Chris2 says

And he would have, if it was anybody else. But who was going to report him? Pam certainly wasn't and I'm certain Mark wouldn't do that to a good friend.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

Besides, good old Jerry was soooo huggable!!!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

He was: he couldn´t get Swellin in the Dream Season. Is there a worse reprimend?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even though I usually cite Seasons 3. 6, 7 and 10 (per DVD count) as the best years, 1983 seemed to be when DALLAS had matured creatively very nicely. All the shows seemed to have reached their greatest level of confidence (well, except maybe neurotic DYNASTY -- and even that was a kind of deranged confidence).

DALLAS and the other would never quite be the same after the 83/84 seasons.

S2 original then 4-6 orfginal

I loved S5 original with the fight for EO

Both counts have existed from the very beginning. :)

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He was: he couldn´t get Swellin in the Dream Season. Is there a worse reprimend?
All things considered, Pam had a 31-episode long dream that was also quite spicy in terms of romantic relationships.

The 1983-1984 season was excellent as was the previous one, 1982-1983.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite the miscasting of Chris Atkins, the Sue Ellen/Peter story works due to the show build and because it happens out of her loneliness. And there’s a great payoff at the end of the season with how JR toys with both of them after he finds out. I love it when Sue Ellen tries to push Peter out of his Southfork job ostensibly because of her concern for Lucy’s feelings, and JR replies, “Your concern for your niece is touching, if a little sudden.” This is the JR we want to see, not the one of the later years, who is beaten at every turn. He’s in command and he knows it, and needles his opponents with humor.

This leads up to one of my favorite J.R. moments:

J.R. knows about Sue Ellen and Peter and is plotting his revenge.

Lucy finally figures out why Peter is not interested in her-- He's having an affair with Sue Ellen.

When Lucy announces the affair in front of J.R., Sue Ellen, and Peter we figure it's all over.
But J.R. wants his revenge, and his plan will only work if people believe that he doesn't know about the affair. So J.R. goes into full manipulation mode.

Peter keeps trying to confess, and J.R. keeps interrupting him so he can't confess. It's hilarious!

J.R: (To Lucy, who has figured out the affair): Just who the hell do you think you are accusing my wife of this? Peter, I apologize for this outburst.

Peter (Decides to confess): Mr. Ewing, I need to tell you something. . .

J.R. (Cutting him off) Lucy, you have a lot of nerve treating Peter like that. He's been a lot of help to this family. He's a fine young man. And this is the thanks he gets?

Peter (Tries again to confess): Sir, it' not because Lucy's been drinking. It's that. . .

J.R. (Cuts him off again): Oh yes it is.

Peter (Has decided he is DEFINITELY going to confess now): Sir, I don't feel right about this. There's something I want to say."

The best part is Peter trying to confess while J.R. is literally shoving him out the door. "But Mr. Ewing, I really need to tell you this." "No you don't. Just go home and got some sleep. We'll forget all about this. You don't need to thank me."

"You don't need to thank me!" HAHAHAHA! I laugh out loud just typing it.

Last edited:

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh that scene is great. JR is brilliant there, because he’s not ready for the truth to come out. Therefore the truth is not going to come out, not until JR can use it to his maximum advantage.

I‘m not really looking forward to Cliff striking in the gulf, in particular because he’s a crappy businessman. He’s always yapping about “making deals” instead of actually growing his business. Pam mentions in the dream season that she’s frustrated working at Ewing Oil, because when she contradicts JR, he usually winds up being right. Mark points out that JR has so many more years of experience in the oil business than she does. Well, the same is true of Cliff - he had zero years of oil business experience until his mommy bought him a company.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Some people have their tastes and preferences; others have prejudices.

And Warner has a publicity department that can´t even count... They clearly missed this:

1709844233966.png

"Hmmm... Donna Dread, rhymes with Eight!"
(Or maybe not...)​

Last edited:

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not my favourite season I'm afraid. I've only just got used to how the seasons are more commonly referred to in numerical order and not how I've always known them.

Best bits of this season are Peter/Sue Ellen
Clayton and Miss Ellie, now I've finally learned to accept Jock is gone forever
Sue Ellen's role in advising Clayton to persist with Miss Ellie. Nice to see these two still had that special bond
Mickey (so sad)
Mark (likable)
Jerry Kenderson (very likable)

Never liked Katherine’s character
Hated Bobby and Pam being apart and the stupid forged letter.

I got the feeling Mark didn't want to know but don't recall this so well.
Jerry is forgiven for divulging such information back then, however unethical, things were different.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 6 (eternally 6) also proves how great Swellin could be as a SUPPORTING character. Many of you have already cited examples. God, if they even used her to give Lucy (Lucy!) something to do... Even Teresa! She had her first (or so) speaking lines in the Series Finale, to make Swellin suspect of Bobby´s shooting... in front of Lucy (again)!!

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agree. It’s my favourite season, followed by 82-83 and 86-87. It looked fabulous (as you say), had very well paced and constructed stories and managed to combine drama with soapy elements in an almost perfect balance. Peak Dallas for me - and as far as tv entertainment goes, it really doesn’t get any better than that.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hated Bobby and Pam being apart and the stupid forged letter.
I didn’t like the contrivance of the letter, which heavily relied on the unrealistic notion that neither Bobby nor Pam would think it important enough to bring up when discussing the end of their marriage, even though at that point it was the sole reason they were going forward with the divorce. It’s one of the few false notes of the season.

It would have been more realistic for Pam to have second thoughts about the divorce and be open to a reconciliation. But Bobby is resentful of her not standing by him during the Ewing Oil fight, her relationship with Mark, and her calling all the shots in their marriage, so he decides to be the one to end it during their conversation in Thanksgiving Square. And Katherine could have subtly stirred the pot to bring up that resentment.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve always felt seasons 4 and 5 original, or 5 and 6 DVD, were the absolute apex of original Dallas. The ‘83-84 season is definitely right behind them though.

J.R. with some of his greatest scenes and quotes, manipulating Sue Ellen and Peter unbeknownst to them, destroying Edgar to the brink of trying to kill himself but taking the time to bring him flowers, poking into Clayton’s past and paying for it dearly, etc.

Bobby and Pam divorced but still hopelessly in love with one another even while with other people.

The fallout from Mickey’s death and Ray’s subsequent trial.

Katherine and J.R.’s alliance

Miss Ellie and Clayton dating and the lead up to Jessica’s arrival, including the revelation that Clayton is not Dusty’s father.

Mark’s illness followed by his suicide and the letter he left for Pam.

It’s a very good season overall but when I watch it now it does start to feel like the decline is beginning just a little. The final episode and the buildup to the cliffhanger feel a little too much like a redo from four years earlier but that’s a small complaint. Despite its flaws it is still one of the best seasons of the show.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This leads up to one of my favorite J.R. moments:

J.R. knows about Sue Ellen and Peter and is plotting his revenge.

Lucy finally figures out why Peter is not interested in her-- He's having an affair with Sue Ellen.

When Lucy announces the affair in front of J.R., Sue Ellen, and Peter we figure it's all over.
But J.R. wants his revenge, and his plan will only work if people believe that he doesn't know about the affair. So J.R. goes into full manipulation mode.

Peter keeps trying to confess, and J.R. keeps interrupting him so he can't confess. It's hilarious!

J.R: (To Lucy, who has figured out the affair): Just who the hell do you think you are accusing my wife of this? Peter, I apologize for this outburst.

Peter (Decides to confess): Mr. Ewing, I need to tell you something. . .

J.R. (Cutting him off) Lucy, you have a lot of nerve treating Peter like that. He's been a lot of help to this family. He's a fine young man. And this is the thanks he gets?

Peter (Tries again to confess): Sir, it' not because Lucy's been drinking. It's that. . .

J.R. (Cuts him off again): Oh yes it is.

Peter (Has decided he is DEFINITELY going to confess now): Sir, I don't feel right about this. There's something I want to say."

The best part is Peter trying to confess while J.R. is literally shoving him out the door. "But Mr. Ewing, I really need to tell you this." "No you don't. Just go home and got some sleep. We'll forget all about this. You don't need to thank me."

"You don't need to thank me!" HAHAHAHA! I laugh out loud just typing it.
Brilliant scene with brilliant dialogue, Sue Ellen thinking she's got away with it and that JR is actually defending her!

Later for the revenge reveal, Peter meets JR and Sue Ellen at the Oil barons club restaurant. The build up is tense as we know that JR knows.
Peter asks if JR can help him with the drugs charges. "I can't but She can solve your problem, let me explain it to you so even you can understand".
The realisation on Sue Ellen's face that JR has rumbled them.

Then the revenge reveal;
"I want you back in my room and back in my bed. From now on you're going to be where I want you and when I want you".

"I expect to find you in my bed tonight, I'll probably be late".
Another brutal JR line.