50 Years of Soaps gala (1994)

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, that's just wrong - Faraway Hill didn't start until 1946, so it's only 48 years of soap operas. They're liars, all liars.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Whenever I watch events like these (and the awards shows, etc.) I cannot stop myself from "keeping score"--that is, making mental notes of how some shows and some actors are given more attention than others. I know the segments often hinge on who is available as much as any sort of favoritism, but still....I can't help but feel some shows get over-exposed and others nearly ignored.

But I watch them anyway.:10:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They just shuttered the print edition of Soap Opera Digest, who used to put on their swanky awards shows for many years. There were years when there wasn't even enthusiasm to televise the Daytime Emmys. So I think these types of celebrations are a thing of the past.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They just shuttered the print edition of Soap Opera Digest, who used to put on their swanky awards shows for many years. There were years when there wasn't even enthusiasm to televise the Daytime Emmys. So I think these types of celebrations are a thing of the past.
I mean, there's only three soaps on network television, while DAYS is puttering away on NBC's Peacock. The only hope for any sort of continuation of the genre is if Neighbors is shown to be profitable for Amazon/Freevee. There's quite simply not much to celebrate at the moment, especially as even the cheaper court and talk shows are starting to get cancelled on broadcast because linear ratings are just going down and down...