An alternate exit for Pam...?

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If they weren't going to kill her off, I would've just had JR do something so heinous that Pam just finally up and leaves forever. That would also fuel further resentment between JR/Bobby.

I like that idea. JR doing the very worst thing possible to Pam. Pam leaving Dallas with Christopher because of it. (I can picture Pam explaining to Bobby she won't let Christopher with the Ewings and JR's horrible influence...) It would have been so much better. Door left opened for VP to return (as the producers didn't want to kill or recast the character) and Bobby losing the love of his life and his son because of JR would be enough to make them a lifetime enemies.

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
20200908_215911.png
20200908_215934.png

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t understand why she just can’t go - I don’t think there needs to be a big mystery over it.

I think too much is made of her departure - there were far more important characters who had poor endings in my opinion.
What you smokin?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like that idea. JR doing the very worst thing possible to Pam. Pam leaving Dallas with Christopher because of it. (I can picture Pam explaining to Bobby she won't let Christopher with the Ewings and JR's horrible influence...) It would have been so much better. Door left opened for VP to return (as the producers didn't want to kill or recast the character) and Bobby losing the love of his life and his son because of JR would be enough to make them a lifetime enemies.

Yeah, I mean they had pretty much two options for Pam - either have her leave because something big or actually kill her off. Instead they choose the worst aspects of both options - yes, Pam was in a deadly accident, but wait she didn't die, but she also will die and she leaves because of it. But we never hear about her dying and oh, by the way she was also briefly recast.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As much as I love VP/Pam, them making her sole purpose being Bobby’s wife and doing anything to keep him was ridiculous. If they would have maybe given Pam a backbone and show her getting as down and dirty as JR, that would have been awesome!!!!

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, I mean they had pretty much two options for Pam - either have her leave because something big or actually kill her off. Instead they choose the worst aspects of both options - yes, Pam was in a deadly accident, but wait she didn't die, but she also will die and she leaves because of it. But we never hear about her dying and oh, by the way she was also briefly recast.

yes. They gave us everything they didn't want to give.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All lame. Too contrived. Recast her as Margret Michaels. Donna Reed wasnt a terrible recast, her replacing a beloved actress was the issue and the way she was forced out. And then they way Reed was pushed out.
Michaels was an excellent potential replacement. She looked close enough and her voice was perfect. She would have kept pam on the radar and given her and bobby something to do. Imagine the bandages come off and she has body issues. Wonders if Bobby really loves her. By series end they have their first natural child, a girl, Rebbeca.
It wouldn't have been a problem of they had left Bobby dead. Then she coukd have had a mental breakdown and leave Dallas due to the painful memories. Instead we got the messy, incoherent, illogical shitshow.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I couldn’t see them recasting Pam. Nothing against Margaret Michaels but to me replacing Victoria is like replacing Larry or Patrick with a different actor. I just wouldn’t be able to buy it.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I couldn’t see them recasting Pam. Nothing against Margaret Michaels but to me replacing Victoria is like replacing Larry or Patrick with a different actor. I just wouldn’t be able to buy it.
We bought it with Jenna (three times) and Gary. Besides at that point, we had no choice, much better than the mummy pam and the is she or is she not dead? lame. The burns would have added to the illusion that she is a different person.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But because of the Donna Reed fiasco, that’s not an option...
That was Producer problem, not a narrative issue. They should have just worked with BBG,. as she didn't leave for health reasons, the second time, but for being cheapskates.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Look at the hype Grey's Anatomy just received for their 17th (!) season premiere and the buzz it's caused:

Maybe they could've done something similar with Pam to close her storyline - since Victoria won't return as Pam as alive, maybe she would do it for an appearance in afterlife (I doubt it, but you know).

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We bought it with Jenna (three times) and Gary
That's because we weren't invested as much in the characters as they had fleeting appearances when Dallas began. Replacing Victoria as Pam would have had the same disastrous effect as Donna Reed replacing Barbara Bel as Miss Ellie. The roles had become iconic, thanks in large part to the talents of the actors. Producers even hinted at replacing Jock (Jim Davis) and fans didn't take to kindly to it.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Unfortunately when shows have been on air for a number of years the Producers often gamble with the role of a dice. Dallas was still selling worldwide and although Larry was taking a huge chunk it was the Producers that made the hiring and firing decisions. By year 10 so many things had changed but they still genuinely believed that they could get Victoria to change her mind. Considering they had worked with her for 10 years and knew that she was a serious actor and business woman - getting clauses in contracts etc, It's staggering that they didn't take her seriously and plan a full and suitable exit for the character of Pam.

EDITED TO ADD = Although Grey's Anatomy got a huge amount of publicity one of the reasons they did it was purely for that very reason. Their ratings have plummeted in recent years - although still hugely popular, but they needed a big boost. How long it lasts for is questionable but that's how tv works now I suppose - take the gamble and see what happens.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
EDITED TO ADD = Although Grey's Anatomy got a huge amount of publicity one of the reasons they did it was purely for that very reason. Their ratings have plummeted in recent years - although still hugely popular, but they needed a big boost. How long it lasts for is questionable but that's how tv works now I suppose - take the gamble and see what happens.
All of broadcast is decreasing in live viewers though due to viewers opting to view their shows on other platforms. When you're looking at Grey's compared with other shows it's position as one of the most popular shows on television hasn't changed and when ABC released a report on how their shows did after 35 days on multiple platforms it's numbers weren't that dissimilar from what it got ten years ago; viewers are just opting to watch it in other ways than parking their butts at an appointed time on Thursdays.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All of broadcast is decreasing in live viewers though due to viewers opting to view their shows on other platforms. When you're looking at Grey's compared with other shows it's position as one of the most popular shows on television hasn't changed and when ABC released a report on how their shows did after 35 days on multiple platforms it's numbers weren't that dissimilar from what it got ten years ago; viewers are just opting to watch it in other ways than parking their butts at an appointed time on Thursdays.
Oh absolutely, we rarely watch live TV these days, we watch and binge at our own convenience.

I'm a big fan of Grey's but do feel the last 3 seasons have been a bit lacklustre, especially when characters you've loved from the beginning suddenly vanish. I didn't watch the new season premier will do in the next week or so, I like to get 3 or 4 episodes in and then watch them together.