B-Movie Bad Girls (1950s Edition)

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
Sometime in the 1980s, it seems there was a reemergence in popularity of B-movies from the 1950s starring blonde-haired actresses. Among the actresses that saw the resurgence in popularity were American actresses Mamie Van Doren, Cleo Moore, and Beverly Michaels, and British actress Diana Dors. Both Van Doren and Moore were referred to as "Queen of the B-Movie Bad Girls", a title referencing their multiple roles in B-movie film noirs during the 1950s.

I just downloaded several of these movies on my laptop over the weekend. I plan on watching some of them this Friday when I'm off work, and I will come back here to give everyone my two cents.

Anyone else seen any of these movies?

1638814249469.png1638814273024.png1638814315282.png​
 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
This article describes Cleo Moore as "Marilyn Monroe without the class".

 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
Mamie Van Doren starred in a low-budget teen exploitation-style movie called UNTAMED YOUTH in 1957, which gives her the distinction of being the first American actress to sing rock-n-roll in a motion picture.

1638911930580.png

She also did a salacious shower scene in GIRLS TOWN, the 1959 B-movie teen revolt drama.

1638912189744.png

Even so, Mamie was still grouped into a category the press dubbed "The Three M's" along with fellow blonde bombshells Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield. Universal Pictures had used Mamie as their alternative to Marilyn in the early-to-mid-'50s, but she walked away from the studio when they showed little interest in developing her screen career. Jayne apparently considered Mamie her professional nemesis, and was quoted as calling Mamie "the drive-in's answer to Marilyn Monroe". So tense was the Van Doren-Mansfield relationship that Jayne apparently refused to share any screen time with Mamie in THE LAS VEGAS HILLBILLYS in 1966, a low-budget country comedy.

1638912442309.png​
 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
Of the three women I posted pictures of at the beginning of this thread --- Mamie Van Doren, Cleo Moore, and Beverly Michaels --- I think I find Cleo Moore to be the most interesting to read about. I'd probably lean more towards Beverly Michaels if I had found more about her, but I haven't came across anything too substantial outside of her Wikipedia page.

I've been reading up on Cleo Moore today during my downtime at work, and I figured I'd dedicate this little type-up to what trivia I've acquired concerning her.

In no particular order, here's what I've come across today:
​
Beautiful, voluptuous Cleo Moore was one of Hollywood's most publicized starlets during the 1950s. Several publicity stunts landed the B-movie queen on the front pages of newspapers across the country, notably her announcement to run for Governor of Louisiana and her notorious long, long kiss on live television which ended up a record breaker for time length. The kiss on live television was apparently nearly seven minutes long.​
​
Often dismissed in modern articles and representations as a Marilyn Monroe wannabe, Moore got larger roles in films before Monroe, and even ended up on the pages of LIFE magazine a solid year before Monroe did. Moore never imitated Monroe in any of her films, never copied her cheesecake poses, or mimicked any of her dresses for public appearances.​
​
Unlike many stars of the period, Moore used her biological birth name throughout her professional Hollywood career.​
​
Feeling her Southern accent was holding her back (she had been born and raised in Louisiana), Moore studied with Josephine Dillon, Clark Gable's first wife, to polish her speech.​
​
She had a standard contract with RKO Studios in the early-'50s, where she ultimately appeared in six movies. Her role in ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1952) was well-received, and brought her to the attention of actor and filmmaker Hugo Haas. So impressed was Haas with Moore's performance that he decided to champion her and make her his newest lead actress in his low-budget melodramas, replacing actress Beverly Michaels.​
​
The majority of Moore's profile (then and now) is consumed with her frequent comparisons to Marilyn Monroe. One contemporary movie buff called her the "Poor Man's Marilyn Monroe" because of her continuing roles in low-budget thrillers. Despite their frequent comparisons, Moore held no hostility towards Monroe. In fact, she frequently expressed her admiration for Monroe, whom she called one of her favorite movie stars, along with Marlon Brando and Joan Crawford. Moore also expressed admiration for her blonde predecessors, such as Jean Harlow and Mae West.​
​
In the mid-'50s, during her peak years at Columbia Pictures, she was proclaimed one of the top five most promising actresses along with Rota Moreno, Lori Nelson, Anne Francis, and Barbara Rush.​
​
The arrival of Kim Novak at Columbia in 1954 shifted Moore's career. Harry Cohn, the head-honcho at Columbia, began refocusing his attention towards Novak, effectively leaving Moore on the side-lines. Moore had been slated for a movie called PUSHOVER in 1954 with Fred MacMurray, but Cohn retracted her involvement and cast Novak in the movie instead.​
​
Columbia Pictures tried to get her away from Hugo Haas in 1955 by casting her in WOMEN'S PRISON with Ida Lupino and Oscar nominee Jan Sterling. The film is perhaps Moore's most famous film with modern fans.​
​
OVER-EXPOSED, her penultimate film, was released in 1956. It has been called "the most lavish of her starring vehicles" in which she played a "dime-a-dance girl who ends up one of New York's most prominent photographers".​
​
She drifted out of the limelight in the late-'50s and married real estate mogul Herb Heftler in 1961. She spent the remainder of her life working in real estate and masquerading as a Beverly Hills socialite.​
​
Moore considered THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE, a 1953 "C-movie" written, produced, and directed by Hugo Haas, to contain her strongest on-screen performance.​
​
Cleo Moore apparently had an ongoing feud with Swedish actress Anita Ekberg after Ekberg made a comment about American women being "immature and childish". Moore took Ekberg's comments personally, and she committed herself to proving her wrong. She set out on a crusade to prove that "American women could measure up, in every sense".​
​
Moore began a successful building construction enterprise with her father, Murphy Moore, and developed her skills as an artist. A portrait she did of comedian Jack Benny was unveiled when Benny was inaugurated as Abot of the Friars Club in 1954. She also did the art for the posters for her movie called THY NEIGBHOR'S WIFE.​
​
She took a 60-day tour to promote WOMEN'S PRISON in the summer of 1955. In Houston, the red-blooded Texans nearly tore her clothes off when a dozen young men, aged 16 or 17, wanted to be kissed by her. Moore said that such situations had become commonplace for her after the controversy surrounding her 1954 live kissing publicity.​
​
One movie magazine described her "bad girl" persona as "ruthless" and "amoral" and wryly quipped that in such movies the bad girl "usually ended up dead or in jail, or worse, reformed".​
​
1639074651852.png​

​
 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
I forgot a tidbit of trivia concerning Cleo Moore. There seems to have been some inconsistency over her year of birth, which isn't uncommon for an era when actresses often fibbed about their age, whether adding or shaving off years to comply with the norm and get jobs. Moore's obituary says that she was born in 1928, although she claims to have graduated from high school in 1941. Although it was common for teenagers to graduate high school earlier back then, it is unlikely that Moore graduated when she was 13 years old. Her gravestone lists she was born in 1929, while some biographies list 1923 or 1924 as a more accurate year of birth.

Wikipedia currently lists her date of birth as October 31, 1929, which would have made her around 11 or 12 years old when she graduated in 1941. There was one time where the website sided with 1924 as the correct year, which would've placed her around 16 or 17 when she graduated.

1639404888629.png​
 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11

I watched three of these B-movie crime dramas over the weekend, one a piece starring Mamie Van Doren, Cleo Moore, and Beverly Michaels. My goal was to get one movie from each actress in the can over my three-day weekend.

The first movie I watched was ONE GIRL'S CONFESSION, the 1953 low-budget film noir from Columbia Pictures. The film stars Cleo Moore in the title role, and features Hugo Haas and Glenn Langan in supporting roles. Haas wrote, produced, and directed the film as well as acted in it.

The premise of the movie is pretty simple: Mary Adams (Moore) is a waitress at a waterfront bar run by an older man who swindled her father's fortune years before. One night, Mary sneaks into the man's bedroom and steals $25,000 from underneath his pillow. The rest of the movie is her spending time in jail for her crime, and rotating her time between the likes Damitrof (Haas), a foreign scoundrel, and a fisherman named Johnny (Langan). The story takes you a rollercoaster of emotions and different plot twists, leaving us guessing where Mary's going to end up before it all gets wrapped up in the end.

ONE GIRL'S CONFESSION is the one movie of Cleo Moore's I've always wanted to see. It seems to be a very typical vehicle of hers, and perhaps one of her more popular efforts since it's been released officially on DVD over the years. It's a basic B-movie, therefore the runtime is a mere 74 minutes and the plot moves along quickly as a result. There are a few instances where the story seems a bit "rushed" and as if some things were possibly thinned out to keep the movie within its shoe-string budget.

Moore gives a capable "bad girl" performance, perhaps a little stronger than required by the script and "quickie" feel of the movie. Haas, a well-known character actor-turned-filmmaker, gives a good performance as the semi-slimy restaurant owner who has an eye for Moore, although the relationship eventually evolves into a father/daughter-type deal. Langan is a handsome young actor, and I don't believe I've seen him in anything else before (or even heard of him for that matter), but he does good as Johnny, the "everyman" that ultimately gets the girl in the end.

I'd definitely recommend this movie, especially if you're new to the genre and want something to sink your teeth into.

1639405877050.png

The next movie I watched was WICKED WOMAN, another 1953 low-budget film noir starring Beverly Michaels in the title role. It features Richard Egan, Percy Helton, and Evelyn Scott in supporting roles, and was directed and produced by Russell Rouse, a filmmaker Michaels married in 1955 shortly before she bailed on Hollywood.

The film is another basic story: A young woman named Billie Nash (Michaels) moves into town and gets a job as a waitress in a local bar. She immediately sets her eyes on the bar's handsome owner, Matt (Egan). The duo decides to rid themselves of Matt's alcoholic wife, Dora (Scott), but their plans are thwarted by a nosy neighbor of Billie's named Charlie (Helton).

One thing I really like about WICKED WOMAN is that the movie has its own theme song. Beverly Michaels is a compelling leading lady, and I'd argue that her performance elevates this movie. She definitely isn't typical of the era, however, considering her 5'10" frame and the way she sluggishly walks across the stage hitting her marks. Richard Egan is a handsome leading man, and it's easy to tell why he want on to greater things after this movie gave him his first leading role.

WICKED WOMAN seems to sum up the genre of B-movie crime dramas, and Beverly Michaels seems destined to be the star of such movies. She looks the most like Marilyn Monroe in her get-up, but her husky-voice and tall, slender frame gives her a personality distinctly hers. Actress Lily Tomlin is a big fan of Beverly Michaels and WICKED WOMAN in particular, and has written a few different articles explaining her admiration of the movie and actress.

With such talent as she had, it's a shame that Michaels left Hollywood as early as she did. She only did a handful of movies before marrying Russell Rouse and leaving the limelight altogether. And she had zero interest whatsoever in returning to the spotlight when her movies were rediscovered by a new generation in the 1980s.

WICKED WOMAN is a good movie, and I will definitely revisit in the future. I didn't get to watch it with my wife because she was at work, but we're going to get around to watching it together real soon.

1639406211607.png

The last movie I watched was GUNS, GIRLS, AND GANGSTERS, a 1959 low-budget gangster movie starring Mamie Van Doren, Gerald Mohr, Lee Van Cleef, and Grant Richards. Van Doren did the movie as apart of a two-picture deal she had with producer Edward Small. The other movie she made for him was VICE RAID (1959), another film that easily fits into this B-movie melodrama wannabe genre.

This movie seems to be a little more inventive that the previous two I've watched. The plot follows a guy called Wheeler (Mohr), who has just been released from prison. During his time there, he and Mike Bennett (Van Cleef) cooked up an idea to rob a Las Vegas casino of $2 million. Wheeler drags nightclub owner Joe Darren (Richards) and songstress Vi Victor (Van Doren) into the scheme. A nice young couple, Ann and Steve Thomas (Elaine Edwards and John Baer), get caught in the crossfire as they own a little motel where all the drama is going down. I won't spoil the ending for you, but it's good.

GUNS, GIRLS, AND GANGSTERS is a delicious title for this B-movie sub-genre, and Van Doren seems right at home in its tawdry little tale. One thing that I liked about this movie (although it took some getting used to) was the narration navigating the story from on point to the next. Instead of relying solely on dialogue and scenes, the narrative brings us up to speed and explains away the time jumps without us having to see everything little detail on the screen. I didn't necessarily know if I'd like it at the beginning, but I ended up looking forward to how it was all going to be explained.

Movies such as this one is definitely a prototype of the B-movie crime genre. This movie is more of "crime" movie than ONE GIRL'S CONFESSION or WICKED WOMAN, both which basically centered around wronged or self-centered young women trying navigate their lives the best way they saw fit.

1639406347301.png

I have more movies that I'm going to watch that'll fit inside this genre, especially some starring Van Doren, Moore, and Michaels. Of the three, I'd probably say Michaels is the best actress, Moore the most attractive, and Van Doren the sexiest. They each serve the purpose of their presence in their pictures, although Van Doren cannot be said to be the sole star of GUNS, GIRLS, AND GANGSTERS, since her character is primarily employed as a go-between and lookout for the men actually pulling off the robbery.

These movies shouldn't be mistaken for high-art or fine drama. They should be taken solely for what they are: Cheap, salacious entertainment that moves along quickly and features lovely-looking platinum blondes. I've had fun watching them, and I will continue to have fun as I watch more of them.

All three of these movies are currently on YouTube.​
 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
We've been focusing all the attention towards Mamie Van Doren, Cleo Moore, and Beverly Michaels so far, but there's more actresses that get grouped into this category of B-movie bad girls.

Diana Dors, often viewed as the English alternative to Monroe, Swedish actress Anita Ekberg, and even a young Kim Novak made movies that could easily slide into the genre.

Thus far, I've got Ekberg's SCREAMING MIMI (1958) and Novak's PUSHOVER (1954) and 5 AGAINST THE HOUSE (1955) downloaded on my laptop. I plan on watching both of them soon to see just how good they'd fit into this little sub-genre and how well Ekberg and Novak "fit in" as leading ladies of B-movie crime dramas.

I've yet to find any movies out there with Diana Dors in the lead, but I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.​
 

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
Several of Cleo Moore's '50s B-movies are on YouTube. I've skimmed through HOLD BACK TOMORROW (1955) a few times, but I finally watched it today.

Moore plays a suicidal hooker hired to keep a man on death row (played by John Agar) company in the hours leading up to his hanging.

In its quick, low-budget kind-of-way, the movie has a tension-filled story of how two down-on-their-luck people face truths about themselves and fall in love during the most unlikely circumstances.

It's a good little movie, and the title song helps tie the somberness of this unusual love story together. Without spoiling too much for possible curious minds, the final few minutes are quite touching and can play a little on the heartstrings.

1702147347278.png
 
Last edited:
Top