Best short-lived soap of the 1980s & 90s?

Which have you watched and enjoyed?

• Secrets of Midland Heights (1980-81) / Kings Crossing (1982)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hamptons (1983)

• Berrenger’s (1985)

• Malibu Shores (1996)

• Pacific Palisades (1997)

• Total voters

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just out of curiosity, would the one season anthology series Finders Of Lost Loves count as a nighttime drama or soap?
Was that the one with Tony Franciosa? I'd call that a semi-anthology like The Love Boat or Hotel.
I haven’t seen it but based on what I’ve read, I’d put it into that “landlocked Love Boat” category like other Spelling series of the era - Hotel and Glitter.

WeldonBallou

Telly Talk Active Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was that the one with Tony Franciosa? I'd call that a semi-anthology like The Love Boat or Hotel.
Yes it was. It also starred Deborah Adair, Anne Jeffreys, an unknown named Richard Kantor who was replaced by Larry "Flash" Jenkins to finish out the show.

WeldonBallou

Telly Talk Active Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I haven’t seen it but based on what I’ve read, I’d put it into that “landlocked Love Boat” category like other Spelling series of the era - Hotel and Glitter.
I didn't realize Spelling had anything to do with Glitter. I thought that was some one-off production

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I didn't realize Spelling had anything to do with Glitter. I thought that was some one-off production
Yeah, he tried to replicate the Love Boat formula (mostly unsuccessfully) a number of times during the 80’s with shows like Aloha Paradise, Hotel, Finders of Lost Loves and Glitter. He even gave it a go in the 90’s with Hearts Are Wild before just reviving the original (Love Boat: The Next Wave), again to little success.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like others have said - Finders of Lost Love was essentially an anthology show like Hotel, Glitter, Fantasy Island and Love Boat, with a bit of continuing action from the staff.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the meantime, maybe we should keep reminding each other that FOLL is more like Love Boat and Hotel.
Just in case the answer pops up again. It's important to be prepared, don't you agree?
This is you trying to engage me so you can solidify your place as the Top Poster of the Month - which is something we all want because it shows us for the pathetic no-life's we are; admit it! Or you can just stop responding.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite being natural enemies (you're Swedish, I'm Dutch) I really thought we were having a feel-good moment here.
What happened tommie, why do you turn evil on me, so unexpectedly, when I'm showing myself at my most vulnerable?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite being natural enemies (you're Swedish, I'm Dutch) I really thought we were having a feel-good moment here.
What happened tommie, why do you turn evil on me, so unexpectedly, when I'm showing myself at my most vulnerable?
I love that you think I have a thought process.

Well, I am a skank, you process of plastic that will get destroyed. Try to stop that, you silly whore!

WeldonBallou

Telly Talk Active Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love that you think I have a thought process.

Well, I am a skank, you process of plastic that will get destroyed. Try to stop that, you silly whore!
It was just a simple question. No need for getting your panties all in a bunch. I check this when I FEEL like it. Trust me I know how nasty y'all can be. I'm not new around here.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was just a simple question. No need for getting your panties all in a bunch. I check this when I FEEL like it. Trust me I know how nasty y'all can be. I'm not new around here.
Haha I was joking! It's silliness on our parts, just a bit of fun and all those good things.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ok. It all just came at me hard with a very negative vibe so I was like WTF. It's all good
Things can get muddled in text - but @Willie Oleson was obviously joking about how your question had been answered multiple times over and then I butt in and try to answer it again. It's all good. :hug: