Brookside Brookside

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
Things get really complicated when Pat, a girl in Damon's class, shows up.
Oh, this is getting silly now. I meant to post one reply and now I’m here with third because my phone loves to piss me off.

And, on that quote I can’t wait to see what that’s all about.

I also wanted to mention that i had forgotten about the crush I had on Petra Taylor which hit me as soon as she appeared.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
I am having and absolutely bleeding ball of a time watching this. It’s been so long since I watched it originally and I don’t think I caught the early episodes when they were on Granda.

Frank Rogers continues to pose as Gavin’s mate, even calling himself Frank, the clever guy.

I’m sure I recognised one of the lads bullying Lucy as one of Betty’s sons who sing FREE GEORGE JACKSON in a year or two.

And Sinbad was seen in the dole queue and then dining out is a swanky restaurant.

My only gripe and it’s a HUGE one is that they have stopped releasing 10 episodes a week and are down to just 5.

Marie has finally arrived and watching her light a cig made me realise that right now there are no smokers on the close. I wonder if it was intentional to have so many none smokers back then. Definitely something different to Corrie during the 80s.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Marie has finally arrived and watching her light a cig made me realise that right now there are no smokers on the close. I wonder if it was intentional to have so many none smokers back then.
The story goes that Phil Redmond was very anti-smoking and when the actress who played Marie came in to interview for the part and lit up without asking, he realised that Marie should be not just a smoker but a very forthright, confrontational character, which would help provide more opportunities for the various households on the close to interact.
 

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
The memory is a funny old thing, well, mine is. I remember Ducksie, Damon and Gizmo thinking Alan Partridge was gay, especially when he mentioned his partner, Sam. I thought this lasted at least a couple of weeks, but it was resolved in the same episode when Samantha arrived looking gorgeous as ever. Then I started to wonder if Steve Coogan was a fan of the show back in ‘83.


More bizarre memories when Elsa turns up as Damon’s girlfriend and freakishly I remembered the actress from LETTER TO BREZHNEV, but wanted to double check, only to learn she’s Margi Clarke’s sister. Small world…


Another weird thing, watching Brookie this time around, I’m older than Bobby & Shiela and that’s freaking me out.
 

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
it was sorry. :confuse:
You really don’t need to apologise. I thought it was funny because I spent a couple of seconds working out who you was referring to. That, and at least you picked a thread that is about a Phil Redmond show. :D
 

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
I'm a bit behind in my viewing, I think I might have 9 episodes stored which is a great feeling because I'm usually waiting on new ones to appear. I was super excited when Marie knocked on Sheila's door. I know these two have some fantastic scenes/spats over the next 12 months so to see how they first met was the edge-of-the-seat viewing for me. It turned out not too bad. This reminds me of Mel O'Drama's Batman thread "The Worst is Yet to Come" Every time I see that thread in the latest posts section I'm reminded of the time Barry and Terry are beaten up. They mention someone is in intensive care, but I don't think they let the viewer know which one it was and Marie says something very similar to Michelle. "The worst is yet to come, I've gotta tell Sheila Grant".

The story with Jonah was captivating as it touched on men's mental health.


As I watch classic Corrie and Emmerdale, I'm often saddened to watch Jack, Vera, Mike, Betty, Blanch, and Deirdre. Betty, Seth, Edna, Alan Turner, Zoe, and Jack knowing the actors are no longer with us. Now it's happening with Paul & Anabelle, as it will when Harry and Edna Cross appear. I did not know that Katrin Cartlidge (Lucy) had passed away at a young age (41) back in 2002.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Brookside is getting a rerun for the first time since it went off air 20 years ago. STV in Scotland is making it available for streaming via their player service.

I'd planned to dive into Crossroads in the not-too-distant, but this has thrown a potential spanner in the works


Crossroads done and dusted, I can now dive in relatively guilt-free.

Truth to tell, the main reason for watching Brookie now is that they're time limited. If STV hadn't set the episodes to self-destruct on 31st January, I'd probably have watched a short-lived sitcom to vamp for time until all 1088 episodes of A Country Practice landed on my doorstep. As it is, they'll have to wait a few months.

Yesterday afternoon saw a Battle Royal between me and 21st Century technology but, after much trial, error and fruity language, I have accomplished the mission of getting a television programme to play on the actual television. Which means last night I was finally able to dive in:



Episodes 1 - 4
2 - 10 November 1982
​


Back in the Eighties, I didn't discover Brookie at all until the summer of '85 when a friend hyped up the siege so much a small group of us ended up watching together (imagine my delight when my inaugural three episodes were officially released on VHS a few years later, along with two other themed releases).

The only time I've previously watched most of these early episodes would be whenever they'd have aired on satellite/cable somewhere around the mid-Nineties, but they are much as I remembered them, albeit my brain had forgotten much of the detail and created a "Reader's Digest" version based on what were to me at the time some of the more memorable moments: The Collinses leaving their affluent leafy Wirral suburb (I'd misremembered their opening lines. For some reason I'd mentally added the detail of Paul resignedly saying to a dejected Annabelle something along the lines of "It's time to go" followed by a term of endearment along the lines of "sweetheart"); the Grant family struggling to get up in the morning; Damon and his friends dashing from the Collins home; and of course, the word "pissing" being used frequently by characters (well, character, as it turns out, since Gizzmo seems to have cornered the market with this one).

While, back in the Nineties, young adult me was aware of the whole class system friction inherent within the show's original setup, middle aged me appreciates this a whole lot more. The clashes and awkward interactions between the downwardly mobile Collinses and the upwardly mobile Grants can't be missed, particularly with the epic first meeting between Paul and Bobby where the latter offered to spread Paul all over his wall.

What really sets Brookie apart from its contemporaries at this point in the run is the division. Other soaps have conflict going on, but they also have a community spirit where neighbours are almost an extension of characters' own families. In Brookie it's all very arm's length and wary - almost distrustful. This rings true for me. Although I grew up in a friendly community where people knew one another well, many doors were left open and people did indeed drop in and out of one another's homes on a daily basis, my entire adult life has been quite different. Today I know some neighbours well enough to exchange a polite hello, a "friendly wave each morning" or a Christmas card but little else. We all happily get on with our own lives and things are harmonious, but polite exchanges across the drive ring truer for me than gathering round the piano in the pub, gossip in the corner shop or heart-to-hearts between neighbours over a cuppa.

The detentes between the two have felt fairly organic, with them being almost cornered into relying upon one another: Barry obtains a black market loo from the Swan and instals it at the Collinses to replace the one Damon and his friends nicked; and when Bobby's Princess breaks down, The Grants reluctantly accept a lift to church from Paul (at Annabelle's insistence).

I really like the role the Havershams play in the class war. As yuppies and white collar (presumably university educated) professionals they seem like natural allies of the Collinses, but this is mitigated by the fact that they are currently observers. They haven't entered either of the other two occupied homes, nor have they interacted with the two families. Their knowledge of their neighbours comes from clues gained through Roger watching their neighbours and attempting to fill in the gaps himself. Seeing the two families interacting without context has led him to believe the two families have connections which tie them. There's been much pearl clutching over the deduction that the Collinses, too, might be working class, something reinforced in his mind when he sees Gordon burning the Collinses' old newspapers on a garden bonfire in the middle of the day. There's a lovely little scene where Paul, with some amusement, observes Roger sneakily rooting round the remains of the fire and discovering - to his relief and approval - a copy of the Guardian. They could yet become friends, but I'm worried about a package Annabelle has taken in for the Havershams** which she seems to have forgotten about. I'm sensing it could be important and the delay in delivering it could strain things.

As Ome said, Bobby's discussion of political matters - mostly around work - is more easy to get on board with today.* I'm sure it helps that there are (sadly) many significant parallels between 1982's political and cultural landscapes and those in 2023.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the character-driven, observational tone to the series at this point and since I remember very little detail about the smaller moments I'm very much looking forward to seeing what comes next





* I must confess I did briefly consider taking advantage of the Specsavers-endorsed subtitles during a scene between Bobby and Barry where I really struggled with the dialect.

** For Havershams read Huntingtons. I keep mixing up Heather's "current" surname with what I believe is the family name she later reverted to using.
 

barbiwil

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Crossroads done and dusted, I can now dive in relatively guilt-free.

Truth to tell, the main reason for watching Brookie now is that they're time limited. If STV hadn't set the episodes to self-destruct on 31st January, I'd probably have watched a short-lived sitcom to vamp for time until all 1088 episodes of A Country Practice landed on my doorstep. As it is, they'll have to wait a few months.

Yesterday afternoon saw a Battle Royal between me and 21st Century technology but, after much trial, error and fruity language, I have accomplished the mission of getting a television programme to play on the actual television. Which means last night I was finally able to dive in:



Episodes 1-4
2-10 November 1982
​


Back in the Eighties, I didn't discover Brookie at all until the summer of '85 when a friend hyped up the siege so much a small group of us ended up watching together (imagine my delight when my inaugural three episodes were officially released on VHS a few years later, along with two other themed releases).

The only time I've previously watched most of these early episodes would be whenever they'd have aired on satellite/cable somewhere around the mid-Nineties, but they are much as I remembered them, albeit my brain had forgotten much of the detail and created a "Reader's Digest" version based on what were to me at the time some of the more memorable moments: The Collinses leaving their affluent leafy Wirral suburb (I'd misremembered their opening lines. For some reason I'd mentally added the detail of Paul resignedly saying to a dejected Annabelle something along the lines of "It's time to go" followed by a term of endearment along the lines of "sweetheart"); the Grant family struggling to get up in the morning; Damon and his friends dashing from the Collins home; and of course, the word "pissing" being used frequently by characters (well, character, as it turns out, since Gizzmo seems to have cornered the market with this one).

While, back in the Nineties, young adult me was aware of the whole class system friction inherent within the show's original setup, middle aged me appreciates this a whole lot more. The clashes and awkward interactions between the downwardly mobile Collinses and the upwardly mobile Grants can't be missed, particularly with the epic first meeting between Paul and Bobby where the latter offered to spread Paul all over his wall.

What really sets Brookie apart from its contemporaries at this point in the run is the division. Other soaps have conflict going on, but they also have a community spirit where neighbours are almost an extension of characters' own families. In Brookie it's all very arm's length and wary - almost distrustful. This rings true for me. Although I grew up in a friendly community where people knew one another well, many doors were left open and people did indeed drop in and out of one another's homes on a daily basis, my entire adult life has been quite different. Today I know some neighbours well enough to exchange a polite hello, a "friendly wave each morning" or a Christmas card but little else. We all happily get on with our own lives and things are harmonious, but polite exchanges across the drive ring truer for me than gathering round the piano in the pub, gossip in the corner shop or heart-to-hearts between neighbours over a cuppa.

The detentes between the two have felt fairly organic, with them being almost cornered into relying upon one another: Barry obtains a black market loo from the Swan and instals it at the Collinses to replace the one Damon and his friends nicked; and when Bobby's Princess breaks down, The Grants reluctantly accept a lift to church from Paul (at Annabelle's insistence).

I really like the role the Havershams play in the class war. As yuppies and white collar (presumably university educated) professionals they seem like natural allies of the Collinses, but this is mitigated by the fact that they are currently observers. They haven't entered either of the other two occupied homes, nor have they interacted with the two families. Their knowledge of their neighbours comes from clues gained through Roger watching their neighbours and attempting to fill in the gaps himself. Seeing the two families interacting without context has led him to believe the two families have connections which tie them. There's been much pearl clutching over the deduction that the Collinses, too, might be working class, something reinforced in his mind when he sees Gordon burning the Collinses' old newspapers on a garden bonfire in the middle of the day. There's a lovely little scene where Paul, with some amusement, observes Roger warily rooting round the remains of the fire and discovering - to his relief and approval - a copy of the Guardian. They could yet become friends, but I'm worried about a package Annabelle has taken in for the Havershams which she seems to have forgotten about. I'm sensing it could be important and the delay in delivering it could strain things.

As Ome said, Bobby's discussion of political matters - mostly around work - is more easy to get on board with today.* I'm sure it helps that there are (sadly) many significant parallels between 1982's political and cultural landscapes and those in 2023.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the character-driven, observational tone to the series at this point and since I remember very little detail about the smaller moments I'm very much looking forward to seeing what comes next





* I must confess I did briefly consider taking advantage of the SpecSavers-endorsed subtitles during a scene between Bobby and Barry where I really struggled with the dialect.
Hi Mel, where did you get to watch Crossroads again? As I would LOVE to re-live that classic!
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Hi Mel, where did you get to watch Crossroads again? As I would LOVE to re-live that classic!

Hi @barbiwil. I've got The Noele Gordon Collection, which is a DVD set released by Network featuring all remaining ATV episodes.

Unfortunately, Network appear to have gone under at the end of May so I suspect it may be more difficult (and probably far more costly) to buy it now, but if you do find yourself a reasonably-priced copy I'd most definitely recommend it.

ITVX made a number of key episodes available to stream to accompany the mini-series Nolly (also on ITVX and heartily recommended to any Crossroads fan) so it would be worth looking on there for a bit of a Xrds fix.

I'm not sure if you've found the Crossroads thread, but a number of us began a rewatch around the time the set came out. While I've now finished the set, @Barbara Fan and a few others are still watching. Round about page 7 or 8 is when the rewatches (and Nolly streaming) began. Hope you enjoy checking it out.
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Episodes 5 - 8
16 - 24 November 1982​



It’s only properly dawned on me during this rewatch that the Close being a new development is a real strength of early Brookie. Not only does it set the series apart, it offers different opportunities for potential drama. In particular, beginning with most of the houses still unoccupied guarantees that the dynamics will be changed with each new arriving resident. It’s one of many ways in which neither audience nor characters are permitted to become too comfortable. With this setup (as on similar real-world developments) no matter how many times people visit their home before purchasing, there is just no way of getting a sense of who their neighbours will be and how respectful or compatible they will be. And once they’re all moved in, it’s too late and they’re stuck with one another.

Even as nerves are frayed from the Collinses arrival, this run of episodes has seen things shaken up further with “Gav” and “Pet” moving in. This ticks yet another demographic box. We already have the working class family, the middle class downsizers and the Yuppies. The Taylors are at this point difficult to pinpoint since there’s been little revealed about their backgrounds or careers, but one thing is certain: Gavin is confrontational and cares nothing about his neighbours’ feelings or concerns.

The tone is well and truly set when Roger comes round to ask about the cookers dominating the landscape and blocking the road. Gavin and Frank Rogers Blackburn slip effortlessly into intimidation mode, blocking him into the living room while giving him threatening looks. Indeed, Gavin says nothing, but uses the atmosphere to add pressure, leaving poor Roger to stammer his way through until he can escape. And then Gavin and Frank burst into laughter. Nobody is faultless here, since the situation came from Roger wandering uninvited into the house. But the ease with which Gavin slips into bullying thug mode suggests much drama ahead.

Petra’s more likeable, and appears to be a worrier, but I like that we still know very little about them after two or three episodes.

Within all the households, there’s a definite pattern of the men being more hot-headed and easily provoked into action while the cooler-headed women are either peacekeepers (Annabelle and Sheila) or show a preference for keeping out of the blow ups (Heather and - so far - Petra). It’s not entirely that cut and dried, of course, but almost all the chest-puffing conflict has come from the guys. Barry beating up Duane was the latest such moment.

Not that the Brookie women are without edge. Karen gives great attitude, and both she and Sheila have clouted Damon at times. Meanwhile, Heather made a passive-aggressive show of “forgetting” to pick up Roger from the station in retaliation for him not waiting for her when she was (very) late to collect him the previous week. When Roger asked why didn’t simply “forget” the day after his error, she matter-of-factly replied that he would have been expecting it then and it therefore wouldn’t have upset him enough. I do really enjoy the frequent snarking between Heather and Roger. She seems genuinely irritated by him a lot of the time, which is great fun.

Incidentally, despite the young lovers technically being the Kenny and Ginger Ward of the close, I’ve been seeing Roger more as Geoffrey Fourmile, constantly looking out of the window with a searing running commentary on his dysfunctional neighbours while his partner overflows with apathy.




Already in just a few short epsidoes, we have seen Frank Rogers pretending to be a removal man helping Gav & Pet move into number ten and Billy Corkhill posing as a teacher for Karen Grant

Looking for familiar faces is a nice little pastime with early Brookie. As well as Frank Rogers and Billy Corkhill (a presumed typo crediting him as “John Mardle”), I’ve now realised that Karen’s would-be rapist, Demon Duane, is Gary Mallett from Corrie.

I've also had the opposite experience. I did not recognise Terry at all without his perm and stache and thought he was just some random walk-on character (which I suppose he was at that point). Then I clocked his name was Brian Regan and marvelled that he'd played a random character named Terry years before playing THE Terry. But I now kind of, sort of realise that this is THE Terry. I think.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
What really sets Brookie apart from its contemporaries at this point in the run is the division. Other soaps have conflict going on, but they also have a community spirit where neighbours are almost an extension of characters' own families. In Brookie it's all very arm's length and wary - almost distrustful.
I’m loving this element too. EastEnders arrived fully formed where everyone already knew everyone’s business and they all congregated in the pub. Whereas with Brookside, there’s an almost insidious feeling as we watch all of these households setting up their new lives on the Close while slowly creeping into each other’s orbits. I’m loving the grit of it too - the cookers on the lawn, the grotty train station, the smoked filled union meeting at Bobby’s workplace. There’s a lot of night scenes too, which add to that grittiness. I’m currently only up to episode 8 (due to accessibility more than anything else) but I’ll hopefully get a few binges in soon.
Looking for familiar faces is a nice little pastime with early Brookie. As well as Frank Rogers and Billy Corkhill (a presumed typo crediting him as “John Mardle”), I’ve now realised that Karen’s would-be rapist, Demon Duane, is Gary Mallett from Corrie.
I think it was mentioned here already but Gladys Ambrose (later to appear as the great Julia Brogan) popped up briefly too as Sheila’s mate at the bingo.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
this run of episodes has seen things shaken up further with “Gav” and “Pet” moving in. This ticks yet another demographic box. We already have the working class family, the middle class downsizers and the Yuppies. The Taylors are at this point difficult to pinpoint since there’s been little revealed about their backgrounds or careers

Someone cleverer than I once described the original close inhabitants as "the Haves, the Have-nots and the Habitats", with the Taylors thrown in as representatives of the black market economy.

Not that the Brookie women are without edge. Karen gives great attitude, and both she and Sheila have clouted Damon at times. Meanwhile, Heather made a passive-aggressive show of “forgetting” to pick up Roger from the station in retaliation for him not waiting for her when she was (very) late to collect him the previous week. When Roger asked why didn’t simply “forget” the day after his error, she matter-of-factly replied that he would have been expecting it then and it therefore wouldn’t have upset him enough. I do really enjoy the frequent snarking between Heather and Roger. She seems genuinely irritated by him a lot of the time, which is great fun.

I was struck this watch-around at how unsympathetic (but still great) Heather and Sheila are to begin with. Sheila's really tough on the kids, especially Karen, and Heather's just kind of a bitch to Roger who, admittedly, would drive anyone up the wall who has to live with him, but at least he tries. There seems to be a shift over Christmas when both female characters start to show some more warmth, or at least vulnerability.

Karen gives great attitude, and both she and Sheila have clouted Damon at times.

One of the many things I love about Damon is how, within his gang of mates, he is the undisputed leader - the smart one, the cool one - but as soon as he returns to the family home, he immediately slides to the bottom of the pecking order, forever being bossed about and told to shut up and put the kettle on. And it's done in such a effortlessly natural way; it's not a "thing".

Incidentally, despite the young lovers technically being the Kenny and Ginger Ward of the close, I’ve been seeing Roger more as Geoffrey Fourmile, constantly looking out of the window with a searing running commentary on his dysfunctional neighbours while his partner overflows with apathy.

I've always thought of Gav and Pet as more Kenny and Ginger, if only because they're the youngest couple on the close. To me, the Huntingtons are more like the Averys: Roger's all frustrated ambition while Heather's the eye-rolling career woman. They also occupy a similar position to Andy the nurse and Debs the banker on early Enders, another young professional couple who don't quite fit in (but then, nobody really fits in on Brookside).
 
Last edited:

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
EastEnders arrived fully formed where everyone already knew everyone’s business and they all congregated in the pub. Whereas with Brookside, there’s an almost insidious feeling as we watch all of these households setting up their new lives on the Close while slowly creeping into each other’s orbits.

Absolutely. It's fascinating to see the dynamics actually being set up and in this regard reminds me of seeing The Avengers come together or something.



I’m loving the grit of it too - the cookers on the lawn, the grotty train station, the smoked filled union meeting at Bobby’s workplace.

Yes. Bearing in mind James and Ome's earlier comments about smoking in the series this really stood out for me.If Phil Redmond was willing to tolerate or suffer through a scene with this much smoke, there had to be a good reason for it. There was also a scene ahead of the meeting with (if I remember correctly) Bobby and a couple of his friends in the corridor where hardly anything was said, but there were some knowing looks exchanged. It felt all the more meaningful because it felt that the smoking was somehow symbolic.



I think it was mentioned here already but Gladys Ambrose (later to appear as the great Julia Brogan) popped up briefly too as Sheila’s mate at the bingo.

Thanks - I completely missed this. I have seen a scene where Sheila met a friend to go into the bingo hall, and I thought the friend looked a little familiar but I didn't get who it was and must have neglected to check the credits.




Someone cleverer than I once described the original close inhabitants as "the Haves, the Have-nots and the Habitats"

I like it!



I was struck this watch-around at how unsympathetic (but still great) Heather and Sheila are to begin with.

It's jumped out at me as well. Sheila's fiery side took me by surprise during the insurance man's first visit after the burglaries. I'd have expected Bobby to fly off the handle and Sheila to become mediator, but it was the other way round. Her poking and shouting at this stranger and practically having to be held back from swinging at him made me laugh out loud, and it was all the funnier because of how unexpected it was.

On that note, I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the levity. One scene I watched last night had Bobby and Damon creasing up over Karen's boyfriend's surname being "Bacon" and making endless puns to her annoyance. The laughter looked as though it was coming from a very real place. Likewise, Gavin's initial fury over Roger's alarm tests interrupting his sex life saw him and Petra collapse into laughter and this, too, looked so real I'd easily believe the actors were simply corpsing and going with it.



Heather's just kind of a bitch to Roger who, admittedly, would drive anyone up the wall who has to live with him, but at least he tries.

I'm so enjoying these two, and find myself wondering about their history, and if they've always acted this way towards one another or it's a more recent thing for them.

She certainly seems to stomp all over him, and undermines him a whole lot. I fully get her digging her heels in over not wanting to take a day off work to get Christmas shopping done. But then she goes the extra step of telling Roger they're going to spend Christmas with her parents, after it's all arranged.

Roger's a bit of a revelation for me this time round. By the time I watched Brookie with any regularity the first time round it was into the Nick Black era and Roger was long gone, and I don't remember him standing out whenever it aired on UK Gold or Granada Plus or wherever it was shown in the Nineties. Your comparison with Richard Avery has helped me put my finger on why I find the character so appealing and even endearing, as I do have a soft spot for these tightly wound types who are routinely misunderstood by those around them (while not doing themselves any favours). I love Paul Collins for similar reasons. The last episode I watched saw Roger's Christmas shopping quest end badly, and I really got his sense of disappointment and felt bad to know that those around him will probably either not care or will find it hilarious.



One of the many things I love about Damon is how, within his gang of mates, he is the undisputed leader - the smart one, the cool one - but as soon as he returns to the family home, he immediately slides to the bottom of the pecking order, forever being bossed about and told to shut up and put the kettle on. And it's done in such a effortlessly natural way; it's not a "thing".

Funnily enough I've just watched a scene with Damon and Bobby where Damon revealed he'd previously been given a hard time by someone at school. Bobby asked why he hadn't mentioned it at the time, and Damon shrugged it off with a comment that Bobby had his own (union?) stuff going on. Reading between the lines there's a sense that Damon's taken a lot on himself either because he's not been heard or has felt somewhat invisible within his family. It's really subtle stuff (certainly compared with the attempted rape and stabbing already experienced by his siblings), but I felt it went a long way towards revealing who Damon is, and why it's so important for him to be the leader of his little gang.

I also enjoyed Damon's boastful reassurance that he'd got his own back on the kid anyway, which seemed to earn him Bobby's quiet respect, even though he quickly changed the subject.
 
Top