Chase Gioberti: worst character in falcon crest

Mister Frank

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I mean, what was his point? He was arrogant, annoying, selfish, so full of himself, so saint. Like a modern Don Quixote, trying to get his nose in all the issues. He thought of himself like the hero of the people or something like that.
I can't stand him. Cole was so annoying and saint as his father, but at least have a few less annoying moments. Chase was that annoying all the time.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's why they called him "Chase," one assumes. His pomposity was part of the point of the character. We used to make jokes about it, but missed him when he left/drowned.

Cole wasn't too similar to his father. Well, maybe slightly volatile

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
His pomposity was part of the point of the character.
Right. He had a vision, and it was his "duty" to fix his family.
And there was a lot of other stuff in Tuscany Valley that needed to be fixed. Angela Channing's brutal and corrupt regime, for starters.

Mister Frank

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Right. He had a vision, and it was his "duty" to fix his family.
And there was a lot of other stuff in Tuscany Valley that needed to be fixed. Angela Channing's brutal and corrupt regime, for starters.
No problem about his rights about his family issues. The problem was that he was a total prick, trying to get his nose in all the Tuscanny Valley issues. He believed of himself like a Don Quixote trying to solve all the people problems. Every matter , here is Don Chase of the Mancha to save the day. That was really annoying

Mister Frank

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Cole wasnt as annoying as his father, but he was a wolf disguised as a lamb. I mean, when Angela played with him as his favourite to encourage Lance, Cole was a little bitch and he was enjoying with the situation.

Pound68

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Chase was definitely full of himself. It would have been nice to see some flashbacks of him with Jason and Jacqueline. Maybe that would explain his character more or make him more sympathetic. His holier than thou attitude was hard to take from the start but he was unbearable in season 6.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He believed of himself like a Don Quixote trying to solve all the people problems. Every matter , here is Don Chase of the Mancha to save the day.
They usually give the main characters most of the storylines, and he was supposed to be a thorn in Angela's side. It's called "purpose", I think.
But whatever, continue to hate him and Cole, if that makes you feel better.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked the fact that Chase was so unlikeable. It's what I liked most about him.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But was he really so unlikeable? He could be obsessive and inconsiderate sometimes, like when he tried to find the real killer in season 2, but eventually he did find the killer.
For the most part I think he was OK, at least in the first 3 seasons.
He became very embittered but that was part of his story arc. Falcon Crest wasn't about happy endings.

It's fun to discuss the mistakes and various pet peeves and since we actually like these soap operas it feels a bit like gossip and gossip is fun.
But I honestly don't understand where this stream of hate-topics come from. Maybe I'm different from the rest but I find the relentless negativity quite draining.
That doesn't mean that I want to control people's posting behaviour, but like I said I just don't get it.
If I hated these characters so much I wouldn't want to watch them.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe Chase wasn’t unlikable so much as unsympathetic, if there’s a difference. He wasn’t as lovable as a Bobby Ewing or as humble as a Sid Fairgate. There was something abrasive - an arrogance, maybe even a coldness - that wasn’t necessarily there in the writing, that the actor brought to the role. He only cared about doing what was right; he didn’t seem to care about being liked, which is a rare and interesting quality in a “hero” character. And then later, when the writers eventually acknowledged those personality quirks and started developing them, it was very exciting.

I think it’s always easier to write something negative than positive. It’s easier to put into words why something doesn’t work than pinpoint why it does. And the way “fandom” and the internet work, the more people write about something, even something they like, the easier it is for them to become negative towards it. And then it’s the repetition, of both writing and reading the same kind of posts, that make those negative opinions more entrenched. I did think about starting a thread asking “is fandom an echo chamber?” but never got round to it.

Last edited:

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But was he really so unlikeable? He could be obsessive and inconsiderate sometimes, like when he tried to find the real killer in season 2, but eventually he did find the killer.
For the most part I think he was OK, at least in the first 3 seasons.

I liked him too. Him and Jane Wyman were the 2 people that made we want to watch this show. Something about his piercing eyes and that sexy beard. I'd have loved to work on his vineyard taking his masculine orders. Angela would have really scared me though.

Mister Frank

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
They usually give the main characters most of the storylines, and he was supposed to be a thorn in Angela's side. It's called "purpose", I think.
But whatever, continue to hate him and Cole, if that makes you feel better.
Not. I don't hate any fictional character. Simply, i like him or not. I dont like chase the character( but i liked the actor, Robert Foxworth, great actor) an dont like Cole. I liked much more characters like Angela or Richard, much more human and honest.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chase was a great character. Unlike in other soap operas where the main good characters who were rivals to the bad ones were likeable (eg. Blake Carrington in Dynasty, Bobby Ewing in Dallas, Karen MacKenzie in and Fielding Carlyle in Flamingo Road), Falcon Crest took a different approach and made the good character annoying to many. So whereas it's ok to love to hate characters like Angela, JR and Abby because they were wicked, in Falcon Crest there was a different relationship for viewers because many hated Chase even though he was the main good character. That made the show more that just the straightforward rivalry between Angela and Chase making the viewers look at the more complex mix of motives that underpinned the actions of the characters.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chase was a great character. Unlike in other soap operas where the main good characters who were rivals to the bad ones were likeable (eg. Blake Carrington in Dynasty, .

Alas, DYNASTY, which started before Falcon Crest, had Blake Carrington as its main character and its ethically questionable one in season 1, so it would have been great to have THAT Blake against Alexis, but Forsythe kept demanding they change his role, and with Collins' arrival they found it easier to give in.

But even for DALLAS, wasn't the antagonist to J.R Cliff Barnes, who was also of dubious ethics? So I think it was more the norm to have two main characters who had a list of good and bad qualities, and then some goody-two-shoes ones--whether Krystle on DYNASTY, Bobbie on Dallas or Maggie on Falcon Crest--to present an alternative to viewers.

In the early seasons, I enjoyed the rivalry between Chase and Angela, and it was enhanced further when Jacqueline came on board. If there is one thing I would have changed is make Chase be more active in wanting to dethrone Angela as matriarch--i.e. remove her influence on family members such as Julia, Emma, and Lance. The show seemed more to create these two separate duchies where Angela and Chase each reigned. But I don't remember disliking Chase because of his pomposity because I never saw the show trying to project him as a role model.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fielding Carlyle in Flamingo Road
Fielding was a rebel, and he had good reasons to rebel, but he could also be very rude and inconsiderate. Much more than Chase, I think.

Unlike the viewers, the Good Guy Characters aren't always aware of the true danger and villainy that's going on. Because they're not evil villains, they are - by default - in the right.
However, it is possible to make them look more unfriendly when they attack their evil nemeses for reasons that have nothing to do with Evil Scheme Of The Week.
Ironically, this makes the villain even more determined to destroy Good Guy, but now - partially - for reasons that makes sense to the viewer. Add to that the fact that a villain can appear very charming or unlucky - and all these things can make it more difficult to "decide" whom to root for.

This was especially the case in The Colbys and Flamingo Road.
It’s easier to put into words why something doesn’t work than pinpoint why it does
Well, I can understand that a positive point of view doesn't always make for an interesting discussion opener.
We're all soap fans here and we already know that we love our soaps, so I guess it can feel like preaching to the choir.

But I prefer the hate-topics to have a specific example, something that challenges the forum member to consider or reconsider this-or-that.
Talk about stuff that actually happened on screen, what is it that you didn't like?
Generic "This Sucks!" topics only entice other forum members to get on the bandwagon, and then it also feels like preaching to the choir. (but this time a very angry choir).
And the way “fandom” and the internet work, the more people write about something, even something they like, the easier it is for them to become negative towards it.
And it's not that I disagree with their discontent, because our beloved soaps often got it very, very wrong, and it's not that I can't enjoy a good bitching match - but I don't recognize my fandom anymore in these endless complain threads.
Yes, Dallas f*cked up with their dream season. I get it, I really do. But every month, there it is: a new Dream Season Sucks topic. For heaven's sake!

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
With respect Chase wasn't the worst character, by any stretch of the imagination. Of course he could be irritating at times because he was always right, even when he was wrong but when you're up against a main character like Angela anyone could be irritating. Angela's nephew was for the most not underhanded like Mrs. Channing was. Their battles over the grapes etc. made for interesting T.V.

Chao-Li asks Angela about Chase's return to the wine producing valley, (a scene from the first episode, 1981 - '82):

Chao-Li: "Will your nephew stay with us long, Mrs. Channing?"

Angela: "Only for the night Chao-Li. Only for the night!"