Doctor Who

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
If NPH is the Celestial Toymaker, it would be awesome!

I began to rethink Season 23, Trail of a Time Lord. What if the conclusion was that the entire trial took place i the Celestial Toymaker's realm,
and didn't take place on Gallifrey? And the Valeyard was the CT and not a version of the Doctor?
It could have led to a more creative conclusion, and the Master could have returned in a different context, as well as other past adversaries (Rani, Meddling Monk, War Chief, even Drax), continuing the events described in the 5th Doctor novelized story "Divided Loyalties"
Perhaps budget wouldn't support it, but what if?

I think Season 23 was generally underrated, although I agree that the Vervoid story wasn't that good, and the concluding episode
could have been better. (Yes I know about Eric Saward's departure and the Starburst interview)

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Just read that the NG Doctor's series won't air until early 2014, in all likelihood.

I have mixed feelings.

The David Tennant led episode(s?) looks promising and that may be the best way
to re-establish the show.
I don't envy NG. He will have to overcome not only the sinking ratings and lower Appreciation Index figures
of recent years, but also a divided fanbase as well as the challenge of following David Tennant's return.
I don't know anything of his previous acting roles, but I have confidence in RTD's decison-making,
and maybe NG can bring a new energy, a new dimension (no pun intended) to the role.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
oh okay, yeah i enjoy the hell out of Time-Flight i dunno why it gets so much flack that's the one i was thinking of but i was just to lazy to look up the story and i own in it dvd!
I liked Time Flight. My biggest issue was they could have done a better job in writing for the Master, but still enjoyed the show

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just read that the NG Doctor's series won't air until early 2014, in all likelihood.

I have mixed feelings.

The David Tennant led episode(s?) looks promising and that may be the best way
to re-establish the show.
I don't envy NG. He will have to overcome not only the sinking ratings and lower Appreciation Index figures
of recent years, but also a divided fanbase as well as the challenge of following David Tennant's return.
I don't know anything of his previous acting roles, but I have confidence in RTD's decison-making,
and maybe NG can bring a new energy, a new dimension (no pun intended) to the role.
We'll just have to wait and see.

As far as we know the 3 DT specials will air around the 60th anniversary in November 2023, followed by the new series starring NG in Spring 2024.

However, there have been rumours that the DT specials could start this Christmas and then air at Easter and then the 60th anniversary so it's spread out more, but absolutely nothing has been confirmed.

I would imagine that when the Centenary special is aired this October we'll find out what the future plan is.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
We'll just have to wait and see.

As far as we know the 3 DT specials will air around the 60th anniversary in November 2023, followed by the new series starring NG in Spring 2024.

However, there have been rumours that the DT specials could start this Christmas and then air at Easter and then the 60th anniversary so it's spread out more, but absolutely nothing has been confirmed.

I would imagine that when the Centenary special is aired this October we'll find out what the future plan is.

Yeah I've heard rumours that the first of RTD's episodes is a 2022 Christmas special.

Fingers crossed that it's true. :)

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Halloween season
Just a reminder

"The House that Dripped Blood" Jon Pertwee is in it
"The Omen" Patrick Troughton is in it
Numerous Hammer Horror movies - Plenty of Doctor Who actors, notably Patrick Troughton

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Halloween season
Just a reminder

"The House that Dripped Blood" Jon Pertwee is in it
"The Omen" Patrick Troughton is in it
Numerous Hammer Horror movies - Plenty of Doctor Who actors, notably Patrick Troughton
The Omen (original) is probably my favouirte horror film - absolutely love it even on multiple rewatches. Omen 2 is great too, but the less said about The Final Conflict the better.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
also i haven't seen season 23 but with Bob Holmes starting and than dying that didn't help from what i hear. also they were going to bring back the Celestial Toymaker
in season 23 well the cancelled one anyways and it does have a script i dunno why its' never been used or at least rewritten if it is awful by a better writer maybe if it's bad that is. and Michael Gough was set to return as well but sadly it wasn't meant to be i dunno why they've never brought him back in the show but there is a really truly Brilliant Big Finish story sequel you have gotta listen to. i bought season 10 this week and i'm on Frontier in Space i just haven't started that one yet

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
also i haven't seen season 23 but with Bob Holmes starting and than dying that didn't help from what i hear. also they were going to bring back the Celestial Toymaker
in season 23 well the cancelled one anyways and it does have a script i dunno why its' never been used or at least rewritten if it is awful by a better writer maybe if it's bad that is. and Michael Gough was set to return as well but sadly it wasn't meant to be i dunno why they've never brought him back in the show but there is a really truly Brilliant Big Finish story sequel you have gotta listen to. i bought season 10 this week and i'm on Frontier in Space i just haven't started that one yet
BIG FINISH did audios for all the lost stories for season 23, including the return of the Toymaker, so that may be the one you listened to.

After Bob Holmes died JNT wanted to change the ending for the series as he felt the ending could end the show for good, Eric Seward resigned because of it and Pip & Jane Baker were brought in to write the ending...with lawyers at the table to ensure none of Bob Holmes' script ideas were used.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
BIG FINISH did audios for all the lost stories for season 23, including the return of the Toymaker, so that may be the one you listened to.

After Bob Holmes died JNT wanted to change the ending for the series as he felt the ending could end the show for good, Eric Seward resigned because of it and Pip & Jane Baker were brought in to write the ending...with lawyers at the table to ensure none of Bob Holmes' script ideas were used.
I remember that - what a mess.
In general I thought the 6th Doctor era underrated, and a missed opportunity due to BBC politics and the internal conflicts with the Production team.
The 7th Doctor era was cringeworthy, an all-time low (until Chibnall/JW). Only" Remembrance of the Daleks" and "Survival"
are even watchable for me.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1stly yes i was talking about Big Finish, and really why? he's one of the best writers the show ever f... had that would have so much improved that season even though i haven't seen that season yet to be fair his writing always improves stuff even stories i don't care for.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I remember that - what a mess.
In general I thought the 6th Doctor era underrated, and a missed opportunity due to BBC politics and the internal conflicts with the Production team.
The 7th Doctor era was cringeworthy, an all-time low (until Chibnall/JW). Only" Remembrance of the Daleks" and "Survival"
are even watchable for me.

You should watch The Curse of Fenric buddy.

That's a terrific McCoy story. :)

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
You should watch The Curse of Fenric buddy.

That's a terrific McCoy story. :)
You have a good point
Fenric was a good story. My personal opinions of the McCoy era probably influenced my post to a degree
I thought the show declined significantly, in part due to BBC politics and poor writing/direction/casting.

Personally, I wish that Fenric was directed by Grahme Harper, Christopher Barry, Peter Grimwade or Matthew Robinsion - I think they could have done better.
I also think that Tom Baker or PatrickTroughton's Doctors were better suited to the story.

I was not a fan of Script Director Andrew Cartmel but I think he had a good concept in exploring the mystery of
the Doctor's past, and he did not make the mistake of changing canon or giving too much detail (Please noter
Chris Chibnall). The name of the show, is Doctor WHO?
As a side note, this mystery was probably inspired by the Gospel of Saint Mark.
It is a literary description known as "The Messianic Secret"
It is an inspired direction, but again, I think it was better suited to the past Doctor actors.

I also thought "Greatest Show in the Galaxy" could have been better with a better production team

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There are a few reasons why I went off the show after Peter Davison left. Firstly I was at an age where I could go out and about, I found friends, pubs, sex etc etc. But for Doctor Who I felt the whole production values of the show were poor - added to Colin's first story being exceptionally bad I found it all a turn off. By the hiatus I really wasn't surprised that the BBC no longer wanted it because it really had become a joke and only die hard fans would disagree with that. The big re-launch of Trial of a Timelord has a stunning opening and within seconds we were back to bright lightening, poor scripts and laughable characters.

When McCoy was announced my heart sank and after watching Time & The Rani that was the end of classic Who for me. I've since watched all the seasons of Baker/McCoy and only a couple of stories stand out as good.

But I'm still a big fan and hope the show has a great new era ahead.

Everyone has their favourite eras/Doctors/Companions and their least favourite - it's one of the joys of fandom and although we may agree to disagree we are, at the end of the day fans of this truly wonderful series.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
There are a few reasons why I went off the show after Peter Davison left. Firstly I was at an age where I could go out and about, I found friends, pubs, sex etc etc. But for Doctor Who I felt the whole production values of the show were poor - added to Colin's first story being exceptionally bad I found it all a turn off. By the hiatus I really wasn't surprised that the BBC no longer wanted it because it really had become a joke and only die hard fans would disagree with that. The big re-launch of Trial of a Timelord has a stunning opening and within seconds we were back to bright lightening, poor scripts and laughable characters.

When McCoy was announced my heart sank and after watching Time & The Rani that was the end of classic Who for me. I've since watched all the seasons of Baker/McCoy and only a couple of stories stand out as good.

But I'm still a big fan and hope the show has a great new era ahead.

Everyone has their favourite eras/Doctors/Companions and their least favourite - it's one of the joys of fandom and although we may agree to disagree we are, at the end of the day fans of this truly wonderful series.
I think a lot of fans would agree with you Everyone has a specific favorite." "The Twin Dilemma" wasn't too good'
However, Season 22 had the same approximate ratings (7.1 - 7.3 million) as seasons 20 and 21, so it wasn't just die hard fans.
I think BBC politics ultimately hurt the classic series, and forced the production team into a series of bad decisions on casting, writing, direction, etc.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think a lot of fans would agree with you Everyone has a specific favorite." "The Twin Dilemma" wasn't too good'
However, Season 22 had the same approximate ratings (7.1 - 7.3 million) as seasons 20 and 21, so it wasn't just die hard fans.
I think BBC politics ultimately hurt the classic series, and forced the production team into a series of bad decisions on casting, writing, direction, etc.
I agree, and oddly, if we hadn't had the wilderness years it may never have returned in such good health in 2005.

cakepro

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I have been a fan of Doctor Who since I first saw "The Sunmakers", with Tom Baker
I grew to love the first six incarnations of the Doctor - William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee. Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
I thought the show seriously declined in the 7th Doctor era, The Paul McGann movie showed promise but never made it to series.
When the show returned in 2005, we fans were fortunate to have Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi
(I don't count John Hurt - A terrific Actor, who seemed to give a mail-in performance in a questionable casting decision IMHO)

And then...

In 2017, Chris Chibnall became the showrunner, and Jodie Whitaker became the Doctor,
and the result has been a COMPLETE DISASTER>

After some strong viewing figures for the first 4 episodes of season 11, Ratings have deciled to the point where
season 12 have the lowest (or maybe 2nd lowest) average viewing figures for a season,
the 3 Holiday specials have been the 3 lowest viewed Holiday stories,
and the Easter Special (Why an Easter special and no more Christmas Specials?) had the lowest
same day viewing figures in the entire 59 year history of the show.

Chibnall jettisoned all of the existing crew - directors, writers, designers, musicians, other crew etc,
and replaced them with individuals with either no or minimal science fiction backgrounds.
He has put forward the assertion that the great William Hartnell was not the first Doctor,
contradicting all continuity since 1963, with the horrible Timeless Child story.
This is an insult to the memory of William Hartnell

Jodie Whitaker has admitted not researching the character and insulted fans of the classic series
with a statement suggesting that the classic series was a celebration of males.

If there could be a female Doctor, it would have to be within a consistent narrative.
However the statistical chance of a Doctor regenerating 13 straight times into a man
when either gender is possible is .024414%,
the same as flipping a coin and getting all heads or all tales 13 straight times.

I want this to be clear.
If a fan of Doctor Who believes that a Doctor could be male or female, that is
an opinion that should be intelligently discussed, and a person has a right to enjoy it.

However, it should make narrative sense, and not be result of gimmick casting,
and the female should be a good actress who is the best choice for the role.

Chibnall has stated that he wanted the Doctor to be female, thus eliminating
many possibilities, and the ratings indicate that
for whatever reason, it hasn't worked.
Doctor Who merchandise was once plentiful on the shelves, and is now almost nonexistant

I am hopeful that Russell T Davies can revive the show, and erase the Timeless Child disgrace but I have doubts, the damage may be too severe.

I am attaching a you tube link from a man who can explain this better than I could

(Gary Buechler, Nerdrotic I believe)

If you are a Doctor Who fan, I urge you to consider ways to revive this show, out of respect
for William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee,
the producers, directors, writers, musicians, actors, crew members, etc
who worked so diligently to give us fans a show we loved.
Don't let it fade into oblivion because of
i like the timeless child to be honest that idea i like cause than you can continue the show on for as long as you want or before it gets cancelled and with another reboot one day they can pick it up right and it still can be Cannon. i didn't want Russell T. Davies back i don't hate the man either i just wanted a fresh face someone who knows the show but who can do a good job i dunno who i'd want but not someone who had already did it before

Chibnall's era
I've been a fan since since the beginning but stopped watching after David Tennant
Totally disappointed by making The Doctor a woman. How absurd !! A female Doctor wasn't accepted when Romana, a Time Lord, was Bakers companion. No spin off was created.
This last venture is a complete failure and a sad ending of Dr. Who.