Embedded videos and site performance

Staff Member
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
A quick word about embedding videos in threads.

The purpose of some videos is self-explanatory: like interviews with cast or sharing fan-made videos. We don't discourage these as they are usually contained in dedicated threads whose function is clear and they can enhance the site by showing off the creativity of members and other fans with similar interests and they are very popular with our members

In more discussion-based threads and forums we hope embedded videos will only be there to support a point the poster is making within a conversation, with adequate commentary surrounding it. We are, after all, a discussion forum and not a video-sharing site.

Crucially, multiple embedded videos can slow the site down and make threads less user-friendly to people viewing on hand-held devices such as phones. As an example, some of our Politics threads have been particularly affected recently by loading issues, evidently caused by embedded videos increasingly taking the place of discussion.

In addition to the slowing down of the site, a few things to think about regarding embedded videos:
  • “Blind” posting a video - with no commentary or introduction about its context - falls into the realm of video-sharing rather than discussion, especially when it’s a thread's opening post.
  • While links and sources are helpful, embedded videos can interrupt the flow of discourse and lack clarity.
  • A thread will gain more discussion being member-led than it will by linking to a third-party opinion.
  • As a discussion site, instead of asking someone to watch a 15 minute video before being able to take part in the discussion it’s far preferable to read a short opinion or overview in the member’s own words. People who want to watch long videos will seek them out for themselves on more suitable sites.
  • Most people don't click on unexplained videos anyway, for the same reasons we don’t click on blind links (dangers of spyware/malware/phishing), but the site has to support these videos whether or not they are viewed

For these reasons and to keep the site running smoothly we encourage you to consider if embedding a video will enhance/invite discussion or if it’s something that would be better summarised in your own words.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Videos on the politics forum are intended to be used as sources of discussion, rather than taking the place of discussion. I primarily post on the politics forum, and while it is a discussion forum like all of the others, it's also reliant on current news stories to drive those discussions. This can sometimes be done by posting articles, but political commentary and journalism has increasingly moved to video sharing platforms such as YouTube. Videos have been posted on the politics forum for years, so I'm a bit surprised that it's just now become an issue. I do think you make a fair point about blind posting videos, and I agree that including commentary with a video would be beneficial.

Last edited: