Filming Locations

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.03:

This scene (44:47) was filmed on Bonsall Avenue on the grounds of the older part of the VA Hospital in Los Angeles. The stairs and building on the left in the background are at the corner of Bonsall and and Patton Avenue. The building farther in the background (on the right) is on Bonsall. The camera is facing east in this screen grab.
KL-US-2.03-44.47-VAHospital.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.06:

Diana and the girls roller skating (approx. 01:35) was filmed at Venice Beach Skatepark:
KL-US-2.06-01.35-VeniceBeach.JPG

I think the later beach scene with Diana and the girls at approx. 24 minutes into the episode was filmed nearby.

In the scene at the eatery, you can see the real name of the business on the sign in the background (05:29): The Marathon Meatless Messhall. Location:
1701 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA 90291:
KL-US-2.06-05.29-VeniceBeach.JPG

Diana and the girls in the car (09:24): This is not far from the cul-de-sac. It's Balboa Boulevard in Granada Hills. You can see the extravagant architecture of the Knollwood United Methodist Church in the background (left) at street number 12121:
KL-US-2.06-09.24-VeniceBeach .JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.08:

The beach scene at approx. 19 minutes into the episode is from the Will Rogers State Beach South Volleyball Courts near Ocean Front Walk in Santa Monica, CA:

KL-US-2.08-19.37-SantaMoinica.JPG

The Knots Landing Community Hospital (35:45) is portrayed by the emergency entrance of the building complex of the former Granada Hills Community Hospital, which was located at 10445 Balboa Boulevard, Granada Hills, CA 91344 (not far from Crystalaire Place, i.e. the cul-de-sac). The main building of that hospital was used for a different purpose in # 1.02 (compare my post no. 26 on page 2 in this thread). The hospital complex sustained severe damage in the 1994 Northridge Earthquake and was demolished. A school sits in its place now.
KL-US-2.08-35.45-GranadaHillsCommunityHospital.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.13:

The establishing shot of the hospital where Val is admitted (15:47) is the Veteran Affairs Hospital - West Los Angeles Healthcare Center, James W. Wadsworth Building at 11301 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, CA 90073:
KL-US-2.13-15.47-VAHospital.JPG

The nightly establishing shot of the hospital (25:07) seems to be stock footage from the concrete building of the Pacoima Hospital (nowadays Phoenix House of Los Angeles) at 11600 Eldridge Avenue, Lake View Terrace, CA 91342:
KL-US-2.13-25.07-PacoimaHospital.JPG

I'm not 100 % sure about the interiors of the hospital where Val undergoes surgery (36:58), but I think it looks like the interiors of the former Granada Hills Community Hospital, 10445 Balboa Boulevard, Granada Hills, CA 91344 (compare my post no. 44 above):
KL-US-2.13-36.58-PacoimaHospital.JPG

Stephen Masino's Crying Towel Dancing (at approx. 43:13) was located at 17712 Chatsworth Street, Granada Hills, CA 91344. The business no longer exists, but the building is still standing (albeit remodeled):
KL-US-2.13-43.13-Stephen Masinos.JPG

I assume that the scene with Gary and Valene driving at 04:00 (the beginning of the segment with the exterior driveby shot of the Ford Pinto Runabout) was also filmed on Chatsworth Street, but was unable to verify it since the visible businesses seem to be gone.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 3.01:

KL-PAL-DE-3.02-28.20-MGMProducersBuilding(BeachviewHosptal).JPG

Beachview Hospital (approx. 28 minutes into the episode - from season 3 on, my timestamps are the PAL version, not NTSC) is actually the Jimmy Stewart Building on the Sony Pictures Studios lot. When "Knots" was filmed, it was known as the Producers' Building at MGM Studios / Lorimar Studios. Although there were a few other tenants in this building (MGM / UA and Poylgram), it was almost exclusively used by Lorimar from 1981 on (i.e. way before they purchased MGM Studios). Lorimar had previously been stationed mainly on The Burbank Studios (WB) lot, but needed more office space and rented almost the entire building from MGM. The building became Lorimar's administrative headquarters in 1981 with its own physical address at 3970 Overland Avenue, Culver City, CA 90230 (as opposed to the address of MGM Studios at 10202 West Washington Boulevard) and was accessible through the Overland Gate.
This building was also used on "Dallas" several times, particularly as Graison Research. The parking lot has been built over since filming, so you won't get the same perspective nowadays.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 3.04:

Lilimae's hotel, the Royalton Hotel, is the Castle Green apartment building at 99 South Raymond Avenue in Pasadena, CA 91105 (both exteriors and interiors):
KL-PAL-DE-3.04-05.26-CastleGreen.JPG
KL-PAL-DE-3.04-06.26-CastleGreen.JPG

At approx. 10 minutes into the episode, Lilimae is waling along a street and later in a park. This scene was filmed in / around Memorial Park in Pasadena (North Raymond @ East Walnut). You can see St. Andrew Catholic Church in the background:
KL-PAL-DE-3.04-10.58-MemorialParkPasadena.JPG

The store where Lilimae is shoplifting (approx. minute 26) was a business building back then. It is located at 35 South Raymond Avenue in Pasadena. It is still standing, but has been remodeled by the new tenant, the Church of Scientology. The distinct entrance and the tiles on the exteriors are still recognizable though:
KL-PAL-DE-3.04-26.42-ScientologyPasadena.JPG

BTW, does anyone know why they changed Julie Harris' character name from Lili Mae Clemmons (season 1) to Lilimae Clements in the end?

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
i have been searching for years with google maps of google earth but still haven't found. it's probably in Malibu colony drive, but I guess some houses have been demolished or remodeled. I guess it's very close to the beach house seen in American gigolo ( 1980)

Although it's out of my usual episodic order at this point, I wanted to answer the question about Abby & Gary's beach house:
BeachHs-1.JPG
BeachHs-2.JPG

This is a private residence located at 26820 Malibu Cove Colony Drive in Malibu, CA 90265.
It looks still pretty much the same as in the days of filming despite some remodeling. You can easily recognize it by the incised roof that creates a rooftop terrace between the front part and the rear of the house. It used to be the easternmost (last) home on that street during filming, which is why they had this gorgeous unobstructed beach view down the coast from the balcony on the show. Since then, however, three more houses were built farther east, so it kind of lost its unique charm.

BTW, with regard to post # 5 in this thread where https://www.facebook.com/vintagecaliforniaTV is mentioned -- this is a broken link. Does anyone know what happened to the page and if it's still available elsewhere?

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 3.05:

This episode used both the interiors and exteriors of the Sierra Madre City Hall and Police Department complex located at 232 West Sierra Madre Boulevard in Sierra Madre, CA 91024 for various scenes:

Richard's law office is one of the offices inside this building complex:
KL-PAL-DE-3.05-02.08-SierraMadreCityHall.JPG

The Knots Landing City Hall where Karen, Val and Lilimae meet to congratulate Abby and Jeff on their alleged wedding and the interiors where Jeff and his mother are waiting for Abby are at the same location. The arbor where Karen, Val and Lilimae are waiting connects the City Hall building with the Police Department building.
KL-PAL-DE-3.05-42.45-SierraMadreCityHall.JPG
KL-PAL-DE-3.05-43.06-SierraMadreCityHall.JPG
KL-PAL-DE-3.05-43.30-SierraMadreCityHall.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 3.07:

The establishing shot for the interior scene with Richard and Andrew Parkhurst (03:07) is from 1900 Avenue of the Stars, Century City, CA 90067:
KL-PAL-DE-3.07-03.22-1900AvoftheStars.JPG

The mansion at approx. 21 minutes into the episode (scene with Laura and her boss) is Arden Villa, 1145 Arden Road in Pasadena, CA. This heavily filmed mansion was later used as Michael Tyrone's (David Selby) house on "Flamingo Road" and the Riebmanns' house in Buenos Aires on "Falcon Crest". It may be best remembered as the headquarters from "Knight Rider" though. It also replaced Filoli as the Carrington Mansion in the classic "Dynasty" in later seasons, probably best remembered for the lilypond fight between Krystle and Alexis:
KL-PAL-DE-3.07-21.56-ArdenVilla.JPG

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Although it's out of my usual episodic order at this point, I wanted to answer the question about Abby & Gary's beach house:
View attachment 28684View attachment 28685
This is a private residence located at 26820 Malibu Cove Colony Drive in Malibu, CA 90265.
It looks still pretty much the same as in the days of filming despite some remodeling. You can easily recognize it by the incised roof that creates a rooftop terrace between the front part and the rear of the house. It used to be the easternmost (last) home on that street during filming, which is why they had this gorgeous unobstructed beach view down the coast from the balcony on the show. Since then, however, three more houses were built farther east, so it kind of lost its unique charm.

BTW, with regard to post # 5 in this thread where https://www.facebook.com/vintagecaliforniaTV is mentioned -- this is a broken link. Does anyone know what happened to the page and if it's still available elsewhere?

it's my page : https://www.facebook.com/vintagecaliforniaTV. I have the name into https://www.facebook.com/Yellowtv72

thanks for that post !!!! you made my day with that filming location !!!

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 3.10:

The driveby at the beginning of the episode was filmed on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, CA. The car heads north, and the cross street is Santa Monica Boulevard:
KL-PAL-DE-3.10-01.20-OceanAvenue,SantaMonica.JPG

The tow shot of Val, Karen and Lilimae in the car was filmed elsewhere, but I haven't identified the location yet.

The arrival scene (at approx. 2:10) is on Ocean Avenue again. The Senior Citizen Community Center (a prop sign) is actually 1333 Ocean Avenue (a spa nowadays); the fence is still the same:
KL-PAL-DE-3.10-02.15-1333OceanAvenue,SantaMonica.JPG

The scene at the park (04:52 and also later in the epsisode) is diagonally across from the aforementioned building:
KL-PAL-DE-3.10-04.52-1333OceanAvenue,SantaMonica.JPG

Scooter's house (18:19) is located at 17821 Horace St, Granada Hills, CA 91344:
KL-PAL-DE-3.10-18.19-17821Horace.JPG

I'm pretty sure the hotel at approx. 39 minutes into the episode is the former Ambassador on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles (one of the rear entrances):
KL-PAL-DE-3.10-39.52.JPG

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
# 3.10:

The driveby at the beginning of the episode was filmed on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, CA. The car heads north, and the cross street is Santa Monica Boulevard:
View attachment 28802

The tow shot of Val, Karen and Lilimae in the car was filmed elsewhere, but I haven't identified the location yet.

The arrival scene (at approx. 2:10) is on Ocean Avenue again. The Senior Citizen Community Center (a prop sign) is actually 1333 Ocean Avenue (a spa nowadays); the fence is still the same:
View attachment 28803

The scene at the park (04:52 and also later in the epsisode) is diagonally across from the aforementioned building:
View attachment 28804

Scooter's house (18:19) is located at 17821 Horace St, Granada Hills, CA 91344:
View attachment 28805

I'm pretty sure the hotel at approx. 39 minutes into the episode is the former Ambassador on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles (one of the rear entrances):View attachment 28806

yes it is
THE-AMBASSADOR-HOTEL-LOS-ANGELES.JPG