Filming Locations

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.13:

These are difficult locations. Does anyone know them?

Michael's college looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place it:
KL-10.13-Michael'sCollege1.JPG

I've also been thinking the apartment building where Harold and Johnny live looks familiar somehow. It was already established in an earlier episode, but this one has a brighter shot, but I can't make out what the street sign says. I can't stop thinking that I've seen it elsewhere, maybe on another show, but can't remember.
20211010-131241.JPG

When Jill tries to find Ms. Bailey, I had a good laugh because Ms. Bailey's former home is diagonally across from where Jill lives now. The exteriors for Ms. Bailey's home were shot at 3961 Bentley Avenue in Culver City, CA 90232:
KL-10.13-3961BentleyAv,CulverCity.JPG

Again, David's (Jill's alibi) workplace is the Mill Building at Lorimar Studios. This time, we see more of the exteriors:
KL-10.13-LorimarMill.JPG

Northside Hospital where Mack, Karen and Gary talk to Ms. Bailey is actually the concrete building at the former Pacoima Hospital (now Phoenix House of Los Angeles, 11600 Eldridge Avenue, Lake View Terrace, CA) again. You can see the neighboring former Lake View Professional Building (now converted into a school; see my post no. 317 for # 10.12 for more information) in the background when they go to the entrance. The lowrise building visible in the background of the parking lot (actually at the corner of Eldridge Avenue and Kagel Canyon Road) was demolished around 2010 or so. Pacoima Hospital was one of the movie industry's favorite hospital location. They rented out a whole wing (fully equipped with any medical equipment you can imagine) all year round to film & TV producing companies; that wing was never in use for actual patient treatments! The interiors of Northside Hospital (Ms. Bailey's room and the hallway) were filmed there as well.
KL-10.13-PacoimaHospital1.JPG

KL-10.13-PacoimaHospital2.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.14:

Awkward: In the previous episode, the hospital where Ms. Bailey was treated was established as Northside Hospital as per the sign when Mack drove into the parking lot (actually the former Pacoima Hospital, see above). This episode, stock footage from elsewhere is used with a bizarre sign saying "Drexel County Hospital". I'm pretty sure it's a prop from the production where this establishing clip originated, but I have no idea of the source, neither the location. The interiors are still (or again) filmed at the former Pacoima Hospital.
KL-10.14-DrexelCountyHospital.JPG

The county courthouse is the main entrance of the Irving Thalberg Building at Lorimar Studios. The sign on the stone (which looks more like a headstone for an oversized grave) is a prop, of course. At that time, the utterly disgusting 1970's MGM renovation of the front entrance with black framed glass doors was still visible. It wasn't only that MGM had run out of money and neglected the studio, but every kind of "improvement" they made from the mid-1970's through the mid-80's was like a destruction of the beautiful historic Art Déco / Streamline Moderne architecture. When Sony took over the lot after Lorimar's short tenure and turned these former studio headquarters into the Columbia Pictures Building, they removed the ugly "updated" entrance and restored the original Art Déco entrance.
KL-10.14-IrvingThalbergBldg.JPG

The exteriors of the bar Greg comes out are the Washington Building located at the corner where Washington Boulevard and Culver Boulevard intersect in Culver City, CA — east of Lorimar Studios (ex-MGM). The building was updated, but the basic structure is still the same.
KL-10.14-WashingtonBldg,CulverCity.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.16:

The scene with Bobby, Betsy, Ginny and Jill at the library was filmed at the Culver City Julian Dixon Library (4975 Overland Avenue, Culver City, CA 90230):
KL-10.16-CulverCityJulianDixonLibrary.JPG

When Gary, coming out of Jill's apartment building, sees Val and goes to the park with her, it is Tellefson Park at 11057 Washington Place in Culver City, CA 90232. Jill's building is in the background.
KL-10.16-TellefsonPark.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.19:

The front of the Irving Thalberg Building at Lorimar Studios (now Columbia Pictures Building at Sony Pictures Studios) serves as the Criminal Courts Building. The prop seems awkward since the lettering was changed — it said "County Courthouse" in # 10.14.
KL-10.19-IrvingThalbergBldg.JPG

The courtroom was a standing set at GMT Studios, 5751 Buckingham Parkway, Culver City, CA 90230. GMT rented out standing sets and their studio space to other production companies. This courtroom set was used in many 1980's TV shows, including "Falcon Crest", "Dallas" and "Dynasty". It underwent only very minor redresses over that decade. GMT Studios is still in business, but their sets have been remodeled beyond recognition.
KL-10.19-GMTStudios.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.20:

The establishing shot for the environmental protection group where Abby and Karen have a meeting after being nominated for their board is stock footage from the time when Lorimar, in its early days, was mainly stationed on the Warner Bros. lot (or The Burbank Studios as WB Studios were called at the time). It originated on one of Lorimar's other shows. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one, and the sign is not legible in that resolution on "Knots". It is the front of the Executive Building of TBS / WB (4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, CA 91505) located at the Executive Gate; it houses the main administration of the studio. The entrance of that historic building was remodeled quite a few times, adjusting it to whichever architectural trend was contemporary. It looks a bit different nowadays, but the building still there.
KL-10.20-WBExecutiveBldg.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.21:

The restaurant where Karen and Paula are meeting is the Santa Monica Windjammers Yacht Club at 13589 Mindanao Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292:
KL-10.21-Windjammers,MarinaDelRey-1.JPG

KL-10.21-Windjammers,MarinaDelRey-2.JPG

Ginny and Val: Burton W. Chace Park in Marina Del Rey, CA:
KL-10.21.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.23:

The elevator scene at The Sumner Group (with Abby in front of the elevator) was filmed inside the MGM Plaza Building (previously Filmland Building), which was MGM's new headquarters after the studios were sold to Lorimar. The building is located across the eastern side of the studio lot. Sony bought it from MGM a while after they had taken over the studio lot itself in a deal with Warner Bros. (which at that time had become Lorimar's parent company). Sony stayed there until a few years ago when they built their new headquarters on the former West Parking Lot of the studio. The office building was sold, renovated and is now known as One Culver (10000 Washington Boulevard in Culver City, CA).
The inside of the elevator car was a set, dressed to match the granite design of the MGM Plaza Building.
KL-10.23-MGMPlazaBldg.JPG

KL-10.23-TheSumnerGroupElevatorSet.JPG

Nogata's house is 10803 Barman Avenue, Culver City, CA 90230 (basically unchanged since filming). Abby talks to him on Coombs Avenue; this is also where the cab is waiting for him and where Abby's car is parked. The front entrance of the house is on Barman (Paige at the door).
KL-10.23-10803Barman,CulverCity-1.JPG

KL-10.23-10803Barman,CulverCity-2.JPG

The scene in the foyer of The Sumner Group is from the foyer of the MGM Plaza Building (see above):
KL-10.23-MGMPlazaBldg2.JPG

KL-10.23-MGMPlazaBldg3.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.23 - cont'd:

I think this is the first time we see Paige's condo from the outside. The establishing shot shows Granville Towers Hollywood at 1424 North Crescent Heights Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90046:
KL-10.23-1424NCrescentHeights.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.24:

The plaza between office highrises (whatever this is supposed to be on the show — somewhere near the Sumner Group maybe?) is the former ABC Entertainment Center at 2000 Avenue of the Stars, Century City, CA 90067. It was demolished years ago and replaced with a new building.
KL-10.24-2000AvOfTheStars,CenturyCity.JPG

Greg's lunch with Johnny is basically at the same location as the aforementioned one: The skyscrapers in background are the Century Plaza Towers (2029 and 2049 Century Park East, Century City, CA):
KL-10.24-CenturyPlazaTowers.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.25:

The establishing shot of the Murakame office is from 5670 Wilshire Boulevard, L.A. It is reused footage that originated while shooting # 5.17:
KL-10.25-5670Wilshire,LA.JPG

Just a vague thought, and the shot is too difficult to tell... I have a certain feeling that Jerry's Restaurant was filmed at Mountaingate Country Club (12445 Mountaingate Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049), which was the location for the La Mirage in the original "Dynasty", but I'm not sure.
KL-10.25-MountainGateCountryClub.JPG

Not a location, but quite interesting: On the letter to Paige, the address of The Sumner Group is legible:
1001 Benton Place
K.L. (Knots Landing), CA 91237

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They always had problems imagining just what "Knots Landing" was as a place. In the early years it was portrayed as a fictional suburban, oceanside community within the LA area, a neighborhood rather than an incorporated city or town. But as the series progressed they portrayed Knots Landing as more of an independent town/city. We saw "Knots Landing Unified School System" written on the school buses that picked up the kids, for instance. They even had the problematic idea of Gary's ranch being at a "Rancho Knots Landing" address (courtesy of another envelope shown onscreen) which gives the idea that parts of Knots Landing were rural when up to then it had been a suburban neighborhood. Just how far inland did the land area known as Knots Landing reach? Though I concede this latest envelope was not meant to be canon (I mean, they scribbled "K.L. California" on it, not even writing it out), it would indicate that the Knots Landing city limits included this highly-urbanized downtown core where the Sumner Group building sat. They kept avoiding saying in the scripts that Greg was running for Mayor of Los Angeles, only that he was running for Mayor; maybe by this point Los Angeles no longer existed on their maps, having been absorbed into the thriving metropolis of Knots Landing, CA.

CVU360

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Even in the early seasons, Knots Landing seemed to be bigger than a neighborhood at times. I don't remember the specifics, but I think the newspaper was something like a "Knots Landing Gazette" and one of the TV stations was KLTV. Certainly by later years it had expanded well beyond a beach community.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.27:

This scene with Abby and Paige at Harold's apartment was filmed on Van Buren Place in Culver City, CA; the camera is facing north towards the Culver Hotel. This part of Van Buren Place was completely rebuilt, so the building from back then (screen grab 2) is no longer there. This location apparently doesn't match the one of Harold's apartment in the establishing shots.
KL-10.27-VanBurenPl,CulverCity-1.JPG

KL-10.27-VanBurenPl,CulverCity-2.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 11.01:

I love the new "sand castle" main title from this season although I wished they had included cast images in the style of seasons 8 and 9 and taken a better font jnstead of these boring Arial Italics. However, the new "Knots Landing" lettering looks great (the best "logo" in my opining), and the sand castles — actually small models built by the prop department and only with sand coating — are a terrific idea. I wonder why they didn't use it for more seasons. I always thought going back to the "film strip" type of main title in seasons 12 through 14 was a very poor choice. Although I liked it when they first used that design in seasons 3 through 8, it was sort of outdated at the time of its reuse, and they didn't do it any justice by adding those awful overly colorful frames that also ran at a different speed; by doing so, this lost the previous film strip character.
Anyway, back to this season's title... Does anyone know where they placed the sand castles for filming? The key shot in the main title might be Paradise Cove with the slope of Malibu coast in the distance, but the end credits are filmed from a different angle or maybe even a different place, but I have difficulties to identify the buildings in the background. Any ideas?
KL-11-Logo.JPG

KL-11-MainTitle-SandCastles-KeyArt.JPG

KL-11-EndCredits-SandCastles.JPG

I'm not sure, but Rick's place where Paige looks through the mail and talks to the real estate agent architecturally reminds me of Greg's ranch. Maybe it was some outer building at David Jacob's The Chateau Ranch, which is now part of Hummingbird Nest Ranch. Just a guess. Does anyone know?
KL-11.01-Rick'sPlace1.JPG

KL-11.01-Rick'sPlace2.JPG

I don't know where Karen's hospital is located, but the establishing shot originated during filming Lorimar's "Flamingo Road". It's hard to make out at that resolution, but if you know this shot, you can still read the prop lettering saying "Truro General Hospital" on the building, which they used to dress the set for "Flamingo".
KL-11.01-TruroCountyHospitalFromFlamingoRoad.JPG

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I love the new "sand castle" main title from this season

Same here. Even now it feels to me the most timeless and contemporary of all the opening titles.

I wished they had included cast images in the style of seasons 8 and 9 and taken a better font jnstead of these boring Arial Italics

I've grown to really appreciate the lack of cast images as I think it feels more classy and grown-up without. It feels very much like a choice to step into the Nineties. I suppose they could have done some discreet cameos like in Season Nine and Ten, but I can't help feeling they might have felt a little intrusive (I think even the previous two seasons might have been even more impactful without the cameos, but that would mean losing Connie's hair flip so perhaps not).

I fully agree about the font for the cast names. It's probably the least-interesting of the run. For the main titles, it might have been nice if they'd credited the cast using the same font as the one used for the title.

However, the new "Knots Landing" lettering looks great (the best "logo" in my opining)

It does give the series a strong identity. It's essentially a tweaked version of the previous logo, but the changes make such a difference. I'd have preferred to see this on the official DVDs rather than the harder-to-read spidery logo which I'm sure didn't help shop sales as it's harder to read from a distance.

the sand castles — actually small models built by the prop department and only with sand coating

Oh wow. Really?

I wonder what happened to them. I'm guessing they were destroyed (either that or they ended up in David Jacobs and Michele Lee's home offices). But I certainly would be very tempted if I saw some of these on auction.

I always thought going back to the "film strip" type of main title in seasons 12 through 14 was a very poor choice. Although I liked it when they first used that design in seasons 3 through 8, it was sort of outdated at the time of its reuse, and they didn't do it any justice by adding those awful overly colorful frames that also ran at a different speed; by doing so, this lost the previous film strip character.

I really appreciated the nostalgia of it and the acknowledgement that the "film strip" titles are the ones that come to mind for most viewers . I also didn't mind the floating effect of them moving at different speeds. But yes: those gaudy frames looked naff even then.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 11.04:

Not a new location, but a location-related problem: After Galveston Industries was renamed The Sumner Group, Greg moved either into a new floor or had the office building redone entirely. The new set was presented last season, and it was a big improvement at the time since it looked fresh and contemporary. Although there were some shots inside Greg's office towards the panoramic windows behind his desk last season (particularly often at night), this is the first time we see a full frontal shot of the backdrop placed on the sound stage behind the windows in broad daylight. It's a shot of downtown L.A. What has always bothered me is why they used this backing because it features The Sumner Group (portrayed by the 400 South Hope Street building as per almost all establishing shots) itself. What were they thinking, using a backdrop that actually offers a view of the building we are supposed to be in?!
KL-11.04-TheSumnerGroup.JPG

This is off topic here, but I want to ask the question anyway: Pat Petersen has been wearing a ring on his right hand since somewhere mid-season 10. We've never seen it closely, but it doesn't look like something from a student fraternity or other symbolic / decorative jewelry; as far as I can tell, it looks more like an engagement or wedding ring. But the character of Michael is neither married nor engaged. Does anyone know if it's the actor's real-life ring? It's kind of awkward Wardrobe would let him wear a real-life wedding band since they usually have to keep track of such things so they would not contradict storylines. Doesn't anyone else think this is odd?

Oh, and speaking of backdrops... The matte painting behind the MacKenzie house front door is a bad joke. It doesn't resemble the cul-de-sac at all. I wonder why they weren't filming it at an angle (as usual) so you wouldn't see what's "outside" (or rather on the sound stage)?!
KL-11.04-MacKenzieHs-Backing.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 10.05:

Where Jeri (Mack's female client) "fell" to her death: The Culver Hotel, 9400 Culver Bouleavrd, Culver City, CA 90232:
KL-11.05-CulverHotel.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 11.06:

The TV studio for "Open Mike" is actually stage 4 at Lorimar Studios where most of the sets for "Knots" were standing when the series was in production.
KL-11.06-LorimarStudios-Stage4.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 11.07:

This scene seems to be suggesting it takes place outside the Sumner Group whereas the parts of the building in background do not resemble the 400 South Hope highrise at all. This scene was shot at the Century Plaza Towers (2000 Avenue of the Stars, Culver City, CA) — the Century Park East driveway.
The later outdoor restaurant scene when Tom sees Paige again (after he gave her the stockings the day before) was also shot there.
KL-11.07-CenturyPlazaTowers1.JPG

KL-11.07-CenturyPlazaTowers2.JPG

While I can't identify the exteriors (although they must be somewhere in Hollywood since the Walk of Fame Stars are visible on the sidewalk), the movie theater interiors in the scene with Gary and Amanda are from the Screening Room at Lorimar Studios.
KL-11.07-LorimarScreeningRoom.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
11.08:

The exteriors of the police cafeteria (Paige and Tom) are portrayed by the southern corner of the MGM Plaza Building (previously Filmland Building, later Sony Pictures Plaza) at 10000 Washington Boulevard, Culver City, CA. The spot in the scene is the corner of Madison Avenue and Culver Boulevard. The black glass no longer exists in that place because the building, particularly its outer shell, was upscaled after Sony sold it off. It is nowadays known as One Culver.
KL-11.08-PoliceCafeteria-3.JPG

The courthouse is portrayed again by Lorimar's Irving Thalberg Building on the studio lot (now Sony's Columbia Pictures Building). Although the prop department continues to use this ugly "headstone", the lettering is new and says "Municipal Courts Building" now although it read "County Courthouse" and "Criminal Courts Building" in previous episodes; also, the awkward oversized "tombstone" is constantly changing positions in front of the building.
KL-11.08-IrvingThalbergBldg.JPG

I'm not 100 % sure, but this scene seems to be from Carlson Park in Culver City, CA:
KL-11.08-CarlsonPark.JPG

The restaurant scene with Michael and Linda is established by an exterior shot of Le Dome (8720 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90069). The same establishing shot was also used on "Dallas" # 13.11 (DVD count) / 12.11 (original count). I don't know where the restaurant interiors were filmed though.
KL-11.08-LeDome.JPG

Last edited: