"God'll get you for that, Walter": Watching 'Maude'

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just passed the two part "Maude's Facelift". The second part centered on Maude being mad at Walter for not recognizing she had a facelift. Umm ... she looked exactly the same after as before? If Bea really had a facelift around this time, it was a waste of money; plus, all she had to do was dye her hair light brown and she would have looked 47 instead of 67.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just passed the two part "Maude's Facelift". The second part centered on Maude being mad at Walter for not recognizing she had a facelift. Umm ... she looked exactly the same after as before? If Bea really had a facelift around this time, it was a waste of money; plus, all she had to do was dye her hair light brown and she would have looked 47 instead of 67.

I thought that 50 years ago. Isn't that weird?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Season Four
The Analyst / Arthur’s Medical Convention / Arthur Gets A Partner / Walter’s Ethics / Poor Albert / The Christmas Party / The Case Of The Broken Punch Bowl / Walter’s Stigma / Maude’s Mood Pt. 1 & 2 / Tuckahoe Bicentennial / Mrs Naugatuck’s Citizenship / Maude’s Nephew / Maude’s Rejection

Examining and explaining a character’s persona is a risky move for a sitcom, where we learn about characters through their reactions, and their foibles and eccentricities are an essential part of what makes them so funny.

While degree of exploration is present in most if not all episodes here, there are two key stories over three episodes in which examining Maude’s psyche is the raison d’etre, but for this viewer one works far better than the other.

Starting with the second of the two stories, and I have mixed feelings. There’s no getting round the fact that the Maude’s Mood two-parter is one of the social issue storylines which is something of a Maude trademark: the most notable of its kind being Maude’s Dilemma). While Maude’s Dilemma was famous enough for me to have heard of it many years ago, and I’d seen a passing mention about Walter’s Problem when considering watching the series, I had no idea Maude’s Mood existed. This made for a different viewing experience to previous “Very Special Episode” material in the series.

On the one hand, I applaud the series broaching the topic of bipolar disorder. It’s done as well as I would expect from this series, with excellent performances from the cast.

In addition to this, the diagnosis fits the character of Maude whose behaviour and persona displays characteristics that could be explained by having such a condition. It even fits the “uncompromising, enterprising, anything but tranquillising” lyrics of the series’ theme. But this is also why it’s very problematic for me.

The thing is, Maude is a sitcom character, where the viewer would expect the brush to paint in broader strokes. Most of the characters present here - as well as 95% of characters one would see in any sitcom - are quirky eccentrics whose responses frequently compound situations in which they find themselves and make life difficult all round. Using logic, any number of these characters could be given mental health diagnoses which explain the very things which make them funny. But the question isn’t if they could, but rather if they should.

I’ll be frank: Maude’s diagnosis has spoilt my viewing, particularly since it’s specifically mentioned that she was initially diagnosed a number of years before this but rejected it. This retroactively puts a new perspective on everything I’ve watched to this point. Situations and behaviours I’ve found hilarious seem somehow less funny when I factor in that it’s informed or perpetuated by a character’s mental health condition which isn’t a good feeling. I appreciate this could taken as the point: in real life, such a diagnosis will make sense of what’s gone before, which is why this would fit a drama series really well. But I just don’t want a sitcom character’s wackiness explained away so late in the day.

In principal, I have no real problem with such an issue being explored, but not this way. In The Golden Girls’, Sophia’s lack of filter was explained as being an effect of a stroke she’d suffered, but the viewer was aware of this right out of the gate and understood this was what part of made Sophia the character she was. In Please Like Me, Rose’s bipolar disorder was at times hilarious and at times absolutely heartbreaking but, again, it was made explicitly clear to the viewer why she behaved as she did.

In short (*too late*) I just didn’t care for it being shoehorned in after three and a half seasons with the suggestion that it’s been a “thing” this entire time. The only possible way it could have worked at this point would have been for a character other than Maude - the series’ linchpin - to be given the diagnosis. Even in this run of episodes, Mrs Naugatuck’s series of TIAs worked fine, partly because it didn’t change what had come before (the TIAs were a new thing, not something that explained away her previous wackiness), but also because she’s not the title character.

One area where Maude’s Moods worked was its placement in relation to The Analyst. I’m not sure how far in advance certain arcs were planned with this series, but I can look Maude running a gamut of emotions in The Analyst and see ground being laid for the diagnosis, so this is one of the few episodes which is complemented and perhaps even enhanced by Maude’s upcoming diagnosis.

Happily, for me, The Analyst is a far more successful diversion into light drama and character exploration. Once again, I was aware of this episode ahead of time. The knowledge that Maude featured a number of two-handers and even a one-hander was a big selling point for me.

When done well, I’m very partial to an episode presented as a theatrical piece with a tiny cast and playing out in real time. Many of my favourite British sitcoms feature lengthy scenes - and occasionally entire episodes - with one or two characters, and in soap opera a number of my favourite EastEnders episodes have been such episodes (the first, a 1986 two-hander with Den and Angie, was my introduction to the concept).

It’s fair to say hopes were high for The Analyst, and it lived up to those hopes The writing was strong and the execution worked as well as possible considering it ran on a channel featuring commercial breaks. Most of all, Bea’s performance was compelling. This was an opportunity for her to really tap into her timing and flair for both comedy and pathos, and the result was electric. The speech about her father not noticing when she stopped kissing him goodnight was one of the more stagey moments but she nailed it so perfectly it’s also a rare example of a sitcom hitting me in the tear ducts.

I noticed the episode following The Analyst had Maude and Viv effectively placed in the B-story, with Walter and Arthur’s hotel shenanigans being placed front and centre. I assume this was deliberately done for practicality, to give Bea time to focus on her solo episode, and perhaps to allow cast and crew to prepare and even film scenes from the next episode while The Analyst was in production.

Outside of this, it’s been business as usual, with the more standard fare as funny and easily digestible as always. There’s been the now-standard annual song and dance episode (at this point, I’d miss them if a season didn’t feature one); Walter’s arrest; Maude being devastated that a writer friend of Viv’s didn’t like her; and the death of one of Maude’s ex-husbands, Albert.

The Case Of The Broken Punch Bowl was nicely done, with the same scene at Arthur’s party described to Maude in several different ways by different characters, each accompanied by a flashback of their interpretation. It’s not that unusual by today’s standards, but I would think it would have been fairly innovative by the standards of the time.

One more thought: Maude’s “God’ll get you for that ____” is much associated with the character - so much that I knew of it before ever watching, and thought it a natural for the thread title. In reality, it hasn’t been directly said since quite early on (possibly as early as the latter part of Season One). I imagine it must have taken off pretty much immediately because it’s taken as understood that the audience knows what Maude means when she’s put an episode-appropriate spin on the catchphrase without actually saying those words. It’s another example of a series not taking the easy way out even when it comes to guaranteed laughs.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing is, Maude is a sitcom character, where the viewer would expect the brush to paint in broader strokes. Most of the characters present here - as well as 95% of characters one would see in any sitcom - are quirky eccentrics whose responses frequently compound situations in which they find themselves and make life difficult all round. Using logic, any number of these characters could be given mental health diagnoses which explain the very things which make them funny. But the question isn’t if they could, but rather if they should.

I was recently pursuing a sub-Reddit dedicated to I LOVE LUCY. On that show, the title character's mother had been portrayed as comically dotty and vague. One of the posters asked, in dead seriousness, "Was she meant to have dementia?" I mean, wow, way to suck all the humor out of a situation. Most sitcom characters with their quirks and foibles would, in the real world, almost certainly be diagnosed with some kind of mental illness or personality defect. The job of comedy is to get close enough to character's personality to be relatable and funny, without crossing over into harsh reality.

I said up thread that Maude's manic-depressive personality, evident almost from the beginning, would take a serious turn. That foreknowledge may be a big chunk of why I'm stopping short of loving MAUDE. Maude's wild mood swing are much less funny when viewed through the lens of mental illness. Crossing the line into brutal reality undermines so much of the humor. It gets dangerously close to the sequence in Oliver Stone's NATURAL BORN KILLERS where the lead character's wretched, abusive childhood is viewed as a brassy, laugh tracked sitcom.

One more thought: Maude’s “God’ll get you for that ____” is much associated with the character - so much that I knew of it before ever watching, and thought it a natural for the thread title. In reality, it hasn’t been directly said since quite early on (possibly as early as the latter part of Season One).

I'm mid-way through the second season, and usage of the phrase sputtered out some time ago. There have been several instances where I assumed it was coming, but instead Bea relied on a withering glare. I'd wonder if the show was deliberately avoiding the obviousness of a comedic catchphrase, although "Maude SIT!" continues to be in heavy rotation.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I said up thread that Maude's manic-depressive personality, evident almost from the beginning, would take a serious turn. That foreknowledge may be a big chunk of why I'm stopping short of loving MAUDE. Maude's wild mood swing are much less funny when viewed through the lens of mental illness. Crossing the line into brutal reality undermines so much of the humor.

Last night I watched an episode in which the Findlays and Harmons played a board game (is Success a real game, by the way? I wasn't sure if it was a royalty-free version of Monopoly). Maude had something on her mind and thumped the board, upsetting the pieces, as she raised her voice. Arthur then shouted back at her and stormed off. Pre-revelation it would have been a funny (if shouty) scene. With the change of context I thought of it as an example of Maude's bipolar disorder not being well-managed, and Arthur came off as particularly insensitive for treating someone with the disorder this way when he should know better.

It's not a layer I care for and, as you said, undermines the comedy.

Half a dozen episodes on from Maude's Mood, and it's not quite the same experience as before. It's definitely changed my relationship with the humour, and not in a good way. It's still a funny series and I'm able to push the subtext aside much of the time, but it hasn't gone away completely.

The diagnosis hasn't even been mentioned since Maude's Mood and if I hadn't watched those two episodes nothing would have changed. But since I did watch them, it's still casting a shadow on the remaining ones. I'm a completist, but I have found myself thinking that if I'd had any foreknowledge and could have chosen one story to skip, it would be this one.

The problem is, once seen, I can't unsee it. Even if I skip the episodes on a rewatch, I'd know why I was skipping.

"Maude SIT!" continues to be in heavy rotation.

As Season Four closes I don't think I've heard it for a while.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched “Maude’s Big Move” on the Norman Lear YouTube channel this weekend. This is the three-part series finale that sets up a potential seventh season with Maude as a member of US Congress. Bea Arthur was smart to bail out of this mess. In addition to the setup being completely implausible (they don’t just appoint political novices to Congress), the new supporting characters are pretty awful, particularly the fat Southern guy with the gross beard. What’s he doing advising a congressperson from NY?

Norman Lear’s successful sitcoms were domestic sitcoms. The Lear style didn’t lend itself well to workplace sitcoms; there’s a difference between arguing over social issues with your family and arguing with your colleagues.

Lear tried to take the new supporting characters and build a similar sitcom around them - first with John Amos and then with Cleavon Little as the new congressman. The Cleavon Little version actually shot three episodes but never aired after real-life members of Congress got a sneak preview of it and criticized it. Lear finally moved the setting to a college, and hired Bill Macy - who had played Maude’s husband, Walter - to play a new character, a college president who somehow had the same exact staff as Maude did when she went to Congress. This version did air but lasted only four episodes.

Last edited:

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's not a layer I care for and, as you said, undermines the comedy.

A (retroactive, for you) episode that I found particularly tough to swallow given the context: "The Will". The episode hinges on Maude's anger at discovering Walter's will names a trustee to look after her affairs if he dies; she spends the rest of the episode acting like a nut, proving why Walter thought she needed a trustee.

This is the three-part series finale that sets up a potential seventh season with Maude as a member of US Congress

I can't think of any sitcom that pulled off such a drastic change as that. Sure, LAVERNE & SHIRLEY and THE LUCY SHOW did (implausible) relocations, but they were inherently the same show with the same cast. The closest I can think of is ALL IN THE FAMILY, but that change became a separate series.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Season Four
Carol’s Promotion / Maude’s Ex-Convict

Season Five
Vivian’s First Funeral / Maude and Chester /Bert Moves In / Walter’s Crisis Pts. 1-3 / The Election / The Gameshow / Arthur’s Worry

While Carol-centric episodes aren’t plentiful, those that do come along are among some of the most interesting because of the way in which she so frequently reflects Maude while also challenging or threatening her in some way. Carol’s Promotion and The Election show two different sides to this, with the former seeing Maude angry over her daughter’s willingness to flirt with her boss to gain a promotion and the latter seeing Maude furious over Carol dating a much younger man. It’s fairly standard to show hypocrisy when it comes to her espoused liberal ideals, but the mother-daughter dynamic adds a layer that adds a depth to the expected response. Even in those episodes where Carol has little to do, Adrienne Barbeau is worth her weight in gold for getting across Carol’s deep well of patience, along with a great deal of charm.

It’s occurred to me that Carol is the series’ straight man. She’s the one who regularly gives it a grounding and she’s also the character whose behaviour is most consistent. All four of the other leads seem to take turns being various degrees of wacky or eccentric or solid and serious, depending on the situation (I’m excluding Mrs Naugatuck who is usually somewhere between panto and burlesque, and delightfully so). This seems unusual for a sitcom where there’s so often one spouse suffering with quiet dignity while their other half gets carried away. Loosely speaking, reliable Walter and Maude with her grand ideas could fit into these templates, but the dynamics shift too often for it to be as predictable. And the situation is even more fluid with Vivian and Arthur. Carol is a completely different story, though. If there’s a voice of sanity chiming in, it’s usually Carol’s. She even has the wisdom to tactfully extricate herself from many of the situations before they become too outlandish, leaving the children to play with a disarming smile and a shake of her head.

The fifth season seems quite late in the day to be introducing one of Maude’s oft-mentioned exes. I’m still not sure we needed to see Chester, but the episode still worked much better than I’d have expected.

Walter’s Crisis is an episode I was aware of, at least to the extent that when reading up on the series I’d read that Walter had become depressed enough to attempt suicide. His crises have been more or less an annual occurrence with his alcoholism, then his various mid-life crises culminating in the separation and alcoholic relapse.

I can’t say I was looking forward to watching Walter suffer yet another nervous breakdown. As previously mentioned, delving into the psyches of sitcom characters to explore their responses in a “real world” kind of way can do more harm than good. In practice, though, I found it far more palatable than I’d anticipated (and in the series’ first three-parter). The way the story unfolded wasn’t as teeth-grindingly overtly angsty as it could have been, and there was restraint in all the right places. I wouldn’t say they’re the funniest and most entertaining episodes, but they are still watchable and don’t feel jarring.

On the subject of jarring, the memory of Maude’s Mood is fading enough not to cast a shadow over my enjoyment. The episode where it was impossible not to think of Maude’s bipolar disorder was The Gameshow which pushed the extremes of the character to the limits, going from the person to didn’t care for appearing on a game show to shrieking with manic laughter at the thought of the prizes. It was mitigated by the fact that the episode itself was fairly generic and characters could have been interchanged with those from any other sitcom (hell - even Cagney & Lacey had a game show episode), and Vivian’s own responses are, in her own way, as OTT and Maude’s.

All the same, when Maude’s behaviour goes so far off the rails in front of her husband, best friend and the medical practitioner who helped her seek support, it now feels a little troubling that none of them expresses particular concern, much less offers help. Don’t get me wrong, it’s right that a sitcom should be able to have its characters’ quirks accepted in this way, but Maude’s Mood made such a show of explaining them that there are times when other episodes feel incongruous. Again, all of this could be resolved if I could only un-see Maude’s Mood.

A (retroactive, for you) episode that I found particularly tough to swallow given the context: "The Will". The episode hinges on Maude's anger at discovering Walter's will names a trustee to look after her affairs if he dies; she spends the rest of the episode acting like a nut, proving why Walter thought she needed a trustee.

Definitely. Maude's Mood has potential to spoil a rewatch for me even more than it has the episodes that follow it.

Thankfully, my memory for TV series is quite poor, and any series I rewatch would usually be 10-15 years later (and that's just the good ones) so I'll probably have forgotten most of it if I ever get round to a rewatch. I just hope I can remember enough to skip that two-parter.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even in those episodes where Carol has little to do, Adrienne Barbeau is worth her weight in gold for getting across Carol’s deep well of patience, along with a great deal of charm. It’s occurred to me that Carol is the series’ straight man.

I said at the top of the discussion that Adriene Barbeau is one of my favorite parts of the series and that I thought the supporting cast was relatively weak. Making my way through the second season, I mostly retract the later point. The supporting characters are fine, although the manner in which they're used is not always so good. Walter, Florida, Vivian, even Arthur have all been amusing and likeable, more or less. Arthur is the biggest surprise. He's not as vexing as I recalled, mostly because he's used as an arch-conservative boob far less often than I recalled. (Which ties into another surprise about MAUDE: it's not nearly as political as my memories indicated. I think AITF had a higher ratio of political episodes than MAUDE.)

I think MAUDE has a disconcerting format, or lack of format. Most American sitcoms fall into three broad types: the ensemble (GOLDEN GIRLS; FRIENDS); the star vehicle with a comedic center surrounded by straight men and reactors (Lucy); the star vehicle with a straight man center surrounded by comedic eccentrics (Andy Griffith; Mary Tyler Moore; ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT). MAUDE doesn't fit into any of those. Maude is too dominant for the show to be an ensemble, yet the supporting cast is too broadly comedic to act as her straight men. The show often feels like a bunch of nuts yelling at each other.

Which brings me to Adriene Barbeau. I've enjoyed her work in each phase of her career, from sitcom support to Scream Queen to character actress. On MAUDE, she was often given next to nothing to do yet she never relaxed out of character and her deeply engaged reactions are often the most relatable parts of an episode. There are times when she exits a scene that I wish I could go along with her. I think the show would have been stronger if Carol had been centered as the straight man of the series. The other characters needed some counterbalance; very often my least favorite part of MAUDE is, well, Maude. She's ... a lot.

Last edited: