Telly Talk's Favourite TV Characters

THE SPIN-OFF

International Broadcasts

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've just stumbled upon a couple of trailers which mention Knots Landing's return to UK TV in 1986 after an absence of almost three years...

Thanks for posting. I thought I had a vague memory that when Knots returned, it was plugged together with old episodes of Dallas as part of the BBC's daytime schedule? But not according to this. Did they do that later?

I definitely remember season 10 and seeing Pam's car explode again in daytime, but that must have happened later on.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for posting. I thought I had a vague memory that when Knots returned, it was plugged together with old episodes of Dallas as part of the BBC's daytime schedule? But not according to this. Did they do that later?

Oh, interesting. I can't recall it being plugged with Knots or even airing at the same times, but I'm nowhere near certain of that.

I do remember Dallas getting summer daytime repeats between some seasons. I'm thinking around 10am for a couple of early Eighties seasons. And I'm fairly certain the post Southfork fire season was repeated on BBC2 at 3pm every weekday in anticipation of the new season. At the time Knots returned, the new TV season had just begun and Dallas was around three episodes into the brand new post-dream season, so I'd hazard a guess they wouldn't be airing repeats at the same time. But it's not impossible.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When they brought Knots Landing back here after a long hiatus, they repeated seasons 1-5 during the day while season 6 was in first run on Saturday nights. The ads started with a line something like "Move over Dallas, stand aside Dynasty, here come Knots Landing and Falcon Crest!"
(FC was also being given a second chance; the Ds were on rival networks.)

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In this recap at the end of the series, the host says from 2:02 pm that the series was broadcast worldwide. Unfortunately, I don't understand which countries he is listing exactly. I only understand "Denmark". LOL
And that makes me wonder: in Denmark the series was never a big hit and only a few seasons were broadcast. But at least the series was called "Glitter" there.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Unfortunately, I don't understand which countries he is listing exactly. I only understand "Denmark".

He says:
From Botswana to Denmark to Trinidad and Tobago.

in Denmark the series was never a big hit and only a few seasons were broadcast. But at least the series was called "Glitter" there.

Oh wow. That's an unusual title choice, I think.

Of the big four, I could imagine that name working as an international title for Dynasty, but for the others - especially Knots - it doesn't really give the right impression. Imagine tuning in for the sparkly glamour and finding yourself watching a series where the main business is a small car dealership and the characters attend barbecues. It seems like it's setting completely the wrong expectation for the audience.

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for the translation.
It was very exciting that they chosed THESE countries ... In all of the countries mentioned, Knots Landing did not run with great success and not all seasons were broadcast. In Venezuela (Trinidad and Tobago) only the 1st and 2nd seasons were shown, in Denmark only 9 seasons and - as far as I know - the series ran in South Africa until 1985.

I have now researched again about the Danish title: The TV station TV3 did broadcast the series in Denmark from 1988. It is said that the title of the series was renamed "Glitter" from 1990 onwards. At the time, the series was probably on season 4 or 5 in Denmark. In this seasons Knots Landing broke away more and more from "Dallas" and became (in contrast to the previous seasons) more and more glamorous. I guess the show was also called "J.R.'s bror Gary Ewing" from 1988-1990 (until it was renamed). That was also the Swedish title that already dictated the Dallas connection. That connection became more and more irrelevant in the later seasons of the series.

A fan from Venezuela told me that KL in Puerto Rico only ran one or two seasons called "Vecinos y Amigos" (Neighbors and Friends). The series aired at 9:00 p.m. on Friday evening before it was canceled. CBS in the Virgin Islands then showed the remaining seasons of the series.

Overall, there were only a few countries in the world that showed KL completely with all 14 seasons. (e.g. France, Germany, UK, Ireland, Israel, ...)
So I think it is interesting that the TV report claims that KL was a successful series on the world market.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It is said that the title of the series was renamed "Glitter" from 1990 onwards. At the time, the series was probably on season 4 or 5 in Denmark. In this seasons Knots Landing broke away more and more from "Dallas" and became (in contrast to the previous seasons) more and more glamorous. I guess the show was also called "J.R.'s bror Gary Ewing" from 1988-1990 (until it was renamed).

Thanks for the context, Billy. As the series cut ties with Dallas it makes sense that the title might become a little redundant. And I suppose the rebranding would also be used to attract some new viewers.

All the same, it does seem it could get a bit confusing for people following the series when it's renamed after a couple of years.

Overall, there were only a few countries in the world that showed KL completely with all 14 seasons. (e.g. France, Germany, UK, Ireland, Israel, ...)
So I think it is interesting that the TV report claims that KL was a successful series on the world market.

It could just be hyperbole on their part, but I suppose it also depends how they're measuring success.

While it never had a huge international audience like Dallas or Dynasty, Knots seems to be the kind of series that attracted a smaller but very loyal fanbase. I'd say most of the feedback coming their way from viewers would have been positive, even if ratings didn't reflect that.

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes you are right. The naming of the countries in the article seems a bit "pulled by the hair" ... Especially when you have the inside knowledge of the "success" of Knots Landing in the named countries.

In addition, in my opinion, Knots Landing is "more sustainable" than the other, comparable soap operas and is still "timeless" today.
Whenever the soap operas of the 80s come up, "Dallas" and "Dynasty" are viewed like series in a time bubble. ... many people associate "Knots Landing" with "warmer" memories.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In addition, in my opinion, Knots Landing is "more sustainable" than the other, comparable soap operas and is still "timeless" today.
Whenever the soap operas of the 80s come up, "Dallas" and "Dynasty" are viewed like series in a time bubble. ... many people associate "Knots Landing" with "warmer" memories.

Yes, I think this is true. Even within its own original lifetime Knots kept up with current times and changed its image. I'm not sure how it would be viewed by casual viewers (those that can even remember it), but I'd suspect the things that spring to mind are probably not entrenched in the Eighties as Dynasty or Dallas.