Joan Collins on Piers Morgan Life Stories - Sunday 20 June

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't agree with your defence of Piers Morgan. He had 3 choices (1) to contribute to the homophobia that existed at the time, (2) to ignore it or (3) to challenge it, and he chose the option to stir up as much hate as he could against gay people because he thought it would help his career.

The argument that he was just using the language and attitudes of the time doesn't hold water either. Mr Morgan is a few years older than I am but we are from the same generation. Speaking about gay people in a way that would encourage hate towards them would have been an anathema to me in the 1980s and 1990s. Mr Morgan plays to right-wingers who hold homophobic and racist views which is not the same as how the public as a whole think. He is not a nice person and he has some vile hateful views.

I'm not defending him, he just does whatever he can to appeal to his audience.

The same way Boris Johnson does, they just play to their audience in the most vile way.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Joan and I’ve often defended her but I don’t care for what she said about John. I found it tasteless to be honest. It doesn’t change what I feel about her contributions to the show but it really didn’t need to be said. Acknowledge you had differences and didn’t get along but her choice of wording was unnecessary.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Joan and I’ve often defended her but I don’t care for what she said about John. I found it tasteless to be honest. It doesn’t change what I feel about her contributions to the show but it really didn’t need to be said. Acknowledge you had differences and didn’t get along but her choice of wording was unnecessary.

But isn't that her public persona, ruffle a few feathers, get a few headlines, move on.

Out of interest are there any interviews with Joan before Dynasty? I wondered if she was always like this or if she played up to the Alexis persona due to Dynasty.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Out of interest are there any interviews with Joan before Dynasty?
There must be loads. I think she wrote her first autobiography before Dynasty.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There must be loads. I think she wrote her first autobiography before Dynasty.

I googled and couldn't find any, unless they are buried under under all the post Dynasty interviews as there are so many.

On another note I was flicking through the channels and saw early Joan with Pauline Collins in what I think was a Tales of the Unexpected.

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
On another note I was flicking through the channels and saw early Joan with Pauline Collins in what I think was a Tales of the Unexpected.

She appeared in 3 of these episodes around 1979-80, not long before she got Dynasty. In one of them 'Neck' she gets her head chopped off by her husband.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So
She appeared in 3 of these episodes around 1979-80, not long before she got Dynasty. In one of them 'Neck' she gets her head chopped off by her husband.

Sounds like a plot from new Dynasty :)

I used to really like Pauline Collins, I feel like it's been years since I last saw her in anything.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But isn't that her public persona, ruffle a few feathers, get a few headlines, move on.
Yes, I think that is a fair assessment. I often wonder if she’s hamming it up and still playing the role of Alexis just for fun. And I have no problem with that. There’s nothing wrong with trying to keep urself in the spotlight. I just think there are more respectful ways to do that than what she said.

Alison Carr

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I speak here as a fan of Joan's BUT her comment was bitchy and unnecessary and without real context on this interview relating to John Forstythe, she has greatly disappointed me. Misogynistic must be her word of the week as I lost count of the amount of times she used it throughout the interview. Joan sadly lost some of my respect through this interview.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Out of interest are there any interviews with Joan before Dynasty? I wondered if she was always like this or if she played up to the Alexis persona due to Dynasty.
There are loads. She definitely started playing the Alexis role in interviews during and after Dynasty. Before that she comes across as very bright and intelligent in interviews but also very lovely and naturally funny. The bitchiness and the diva persona are an add on.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It diminishes her when she intends it to have the opposite effect.

Joan had a pretty good reputation as a professional before DYNASTY --- pretty, an adequate actress, well-behaved. But she was told early in her career by industry people things like "you must pull rank" as a star, and once she'd really become one with Alexis, she took that advice quite seriously, which translated to becoming difficult for difficulty's sake, and then became less harmless.

Michael Nader said that Joan "could be hard to take" on the set, and that Forsythe didn't feel her "self-centeredness" was necessarily good for the show. But the real problem came later, after the show was over, and she started going around trashing people -- especially if she thought they were too nice, too second tier -- or too dead .-- to retaliate.

Let's not forget how she trashed Linda in 2007 once their "Legends" tour had ended. Linda wasn't going to do the play, in part because she knew what touring the country with Joan would be like, but Nolan Miller and others convinced Linda to do it. Linda later said it was "even harder" than she'd anticipated, reportedly because of Collins, and when Joan went public with an article in the British press entitled "Why I'll Never Work with Linda Evans Again!", detailing mostly Joan's own pettiness and explaining why Linda should be jealous because Joan had several homes and several children while childless Linda only has one house in the woods, Evans' representative took the rare step of publicly telling Joan to "shut the eff up!" leading Joan to immediately make her way to the press and indignantly respond "well, thanks a lot, Linder!"' as if Linda had somehow started it. But you knew Collins was secretly thrilled Linda had thrown her a bone, condescending to answer the charges and briefly participate in this tête-à-tête in the media.

In 2009, Linda said about "Legends" that, "I don't know exactly what happened, but there always seemed to be more drama backstage than there was onstage." And then Linda, far cleverer than Krystle Carrington, appeared in Britain's version of HELL'S KITCHEN and subsequently won based essentially on how nice she was.

So Joan's just silly. She loves the Old Hollywood era when actresses like Crawford and Davis (both of whom weren't very nice to her, which she respected) bitched each other out in the magazines, protected by their studios. So it's all about status, attention, and fun-and-games to Collins, and the more unfair the commentary, the better.

Exhausting, yes, but what can you do about it? At least Emma Samms had the moxie to defend Forsythe this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's one from waaaay before Dynasty...

Thanks. Ironic Piers asked about cleaning the house and in 1959 she was asked if she did the gardening. I love how we have moved on in 60 years. :)

She didn't call anyone a prick in 1959. :)

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There used to be an interview on Youtube, I think it was Joan on Parkinson in the mid to late 1970s and she's very natural in it. She's not the bewigged and bespangeled diva. I can't seem to find it now.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks. Ironic Piers asked about cleaning the house and in 1959 she was asked if she did the gardening. I love how we have moved on in 60 years. :)

She didn't call anyone a prick in 1959. :)
She said she doesn't know how to hoover. I just watched Tales That Witness Madness on YouTube and in that she hoovers up the fallen leaves of chopped down tree that her husband brings home. Then her husband chops Joan up in the woods and proceeds to get into bed with the tree.
It was a very saucy looking tree I must add.

Clubsoda

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I do think Forsyth acted very juvenile during that Peoples Choice Awards 1986 episode.

Many faults aside I love that Joan is still going strong at almost 90.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone know if Diahan Carrol ever spoke about working with John Forsythe and Linda Evans?
I haven't seen or read anything about her working on set with them but I've seen an interview where she talks about joining the cast. She tells an anecdote about gatecrashing a party after the Golden Globes in order to express her interest in joining the cast to Aaron Spelling. After being introduced to John, Joan & Linda, Forsythe said something to her like "if you join the show, you'll be the only one of us who has been nominated for an Academy Award" in earshot of Spelling. She basically implies that John was going out to bat for her by talking up her cachet in front of Spelling.