JR Ewing: Too Offensive For 2020? Part I

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to agree with @thomaswak, everything now has to be so PC - I can understand old comedies etc being pulled for blackface, racism etc because we really do have to move on, but some things are of their time and being reappraised/assessed is understandable.

But now it seems we have to completely erase our past, without which we wouldn't be able to see how far we've come.

In the UK there was a comedy series in the 90's called "Gimme Gimme Gimme" which is one of my favourite shows - it's crass, gaudy and is about a gay man and an ugly sex obsessed woman who flat share - it would never get on shown today because gays (sorry...homosexual men are gay, not LBTWDIXQP.......) would have it off air in a second. As a gay men I adore it, it's bloody funny and I am in no way offended by it.

But now, if 1 person finds something offensive it gets taken off air!

As for J.R and Dallas - no,he and it are not offensive in the slightest. So many shows go way beyond where Dallas went and many characters are far more evil than J.R. I've just had my umpteenth re-watch of seasons 1-12 and I can honestly say that it could be shown at any time of day, it's not offensive in the slightest in my opinion.

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes; It's like those guys don't have self mockery, and they're offended by everything.
I like derision, sarcasm, dark humour...

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The sad thing is that political correctness is only going to get worse. There does seem to a particular kind of person who goes out of their way to simultaneously cause and take offence. And yet the real irony is that moronic drivel like the vast majority of reality shows is permitted, despite the fact they luxuriate in causing offence.

Something badly wrong somewhere.

Swami

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The sad thing is that political correctness is only going to get worse. There does seem to a particular kind of person who goes out of their way to simultaneously cause and take offence. And yet the real irony is that moronic drivel like the vast majority of reality shows is permitted, despite the fact they luxuriate in causing offence.

Something badly wrong somewhere.

Swami

And not just in TV, Film & Theatre - just a few weeks ago Disney announced that Splash Mountain would be redesigned in all their theme parks, even though any racist parts from Song of The South had been taken out many years ago - it was all sped up because of the Black Lives Matter campaign - which, of course, is a hugely important campaign.

But like like the Me Too movement, people take it to the extreme and eventually we will be living in a world where every opinion is valid and everyone is offended.

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Too offensive?

The world is being run by a rag bag of men babies, narcissists, thugs, entitled Etonians and demagogues.

JR’s shenanigans pale in comparison.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This isn’t necessarily a JR Ewing issue, but more of a Dallas issue that would never fly in 2020. I’ve recently noticed an interesting theme in the early years. Dallas had the habit of giving the women sedatives and having them see a psychiatrist. In the case of JR, anytime Sue Ellen got in the way, he’d just have her thrown in a sanitarium.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even so, I don't ever recall telephone lines being bombarded by complaints about anything that ever aired on Dallas.

In the case of the British soaps, in recent times they are regularly referred to the standards watchdog, quite often with considerable justification.

Swami