Locations

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
So, let's see what clues we have here.

Based on experience on this thread, distance perspective is way off. The car could be 50-100 yards or more away from that far wall, and/or 50-100 yards further away from the camera or the side street being approached.

Older stone wall, with its character likely to still be there. Wall looks like it's bending on picture left, leading me to think that it's a 'T' intersection with an island on the lower part of the "T" that the car is on. Trees beyond wall make the road to me look higher then ground-level where the trees are growing. Or it's just perspective.

Looks like an island in the road, as red curb on Pammy's far left on the other side of the island tells me it's not a drive-way. Island looks unkempt...so might not be Park Cities area. Beyond the curb picture far-right center looks like more older stone wall. Is that a boulder between the curb and the wall?

On the island, a cement rounded wall with planting. May or may not still be there.

On picture left, cement or stucco wall with bushes. Fire hydrant likely still there, as piping is a pain to reroute. Car coming to side-street intersection. Triple trunk tree center has character, may still be there.

Is that a walkway or patio in picture lower left? Can't tell what that property is.

Will keep looking.

(I used to enjoy those "what's different in the two pictures" things in the newspaper)

pdvd_001-jpg.18032
ooh, another location challenge! I just watched the relevant bit of video and the road is indeed elevated in comparison to the trees in the background. It appears as if the road Pam is on is actually the driveway of the complex, as it connects right into the lot where she parks.

I don’t see any street numbers, which makes it harder to narrow down.

We’re missing the clues that led you to find JBJ ranch on Potrero Road, but it’s not impossible! Maybe someone on that Facebook group knows?
 
Last edited:

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
I have never noticed the sign! Good catch, Bill! Interestingly enough I made a discovery while looking at the information you shared.

So Jock is moved to Dallas Memorial and the family waits in a waiting area next to a large atrium with a row of windows across near the ceiling...
View attachment 18040

While googling info about Medical City I ran across a picture of a large atrium With a row of windows across the ceiling...
View attachment 18041 View attachment 18042

What if all of the interior filming for this episode was done at Medial City (plus the exterior scene in the emergency/ambulance area) and the Presbyterian was only used for the exterior shots at the main entrance? Not being familiar with these hospital interiors, I never gave it much thought before.
Wow!...You just might be right!
 

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
I have never noticed the sign! Good catch, Bill! Interestingly enough I made a discovery while looking at the information you shared.

So Jock is moved to Dallas Memorial and the family waits in a waiting area next to a large atrium with a row of windows across near the ceiling...
View attachment 18040

While googling info about Medical City I ran across a picture of a large atrium With a row of windows across the ceiling...
View attachment 18041 View attachment 18042

What if all of the interior filming for this episode was done at Medial City (plus the exterior scene in the emergency/ambulance area) and the Presbyterian was only used for the exterior shots at the main entrance? Not being familiar with these hospital interiors, I never gave it much thought before.
… You are correct John!...It appears all interior scenes were done at Medical City.[only the emergency entrance exteriors were shot there!]...The exteriors at the front entrance including the hospital rooftop scenes with Miss Ellie and Jocks doctor were done at Presbyterian...…[My guess is that the Presbyterian hospital for some reason did not want the Dallas series production crew inside their facility.I guess Medical City hospital did not have a problem with the interior filming.]
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
So, we have the question from s01e01 - Pam driving to her apt.

I was asked about 2 other locations:

* the exteriors for Woodgrove School where Donna volunteered at with the special needs kids in the dream season
* the scene where Pam and Sue Ellen talk about their future while Christopher and John Ross are playing at a local park from the episode The Long Goodbye!

Gonna poke around later...
 

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
So, we have the question from s01e01 - Pam driving to her apt.

I was asked about 2 other locations:

* the exteriors for Woodgrove School where Donna volunteered at with the special needs kids in the dream season
* the scene where Pam and Sue Ellen talk about their future while Christopher and John Ross are playing at a local park from the episode The Long Goodbye!

Gonna poke around later...
Will go apartment hunting in Dallas this afternoon. [via the internet]….Just might get lucky and find Pam's old place!.....Thanks Bill D.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
So, we have the question from s01e01 - Pam driving to her apt.

I was asked about 2 other locations:

* the exteriors for Woodgrove School where Donna volunteered at with the special needs kids in the dream season
* the scene where Pam and Sue Ellen talk about their future while Christopher and John Ross are playing at a local park from the episode The Long Goodbye!

Gonna poke around later...

do you have an episode title in particular for the school? I read somewhere that California’s School for the Deaf in Riverside may have been a spot, but I don’t have anything from the series to compare it to.

for the park, my first thought was Curtis park because it Is used a few episodes later, but I didn’t see any features that match.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
do you have an episode title in particular for the school? I read somewhere that California’s School for the Deaf in Riverside may have been a spot, but I don’t have anything from the series to compare it to.

for the park, my first thought was Curtis park because it Is used a few episodes later, but I didn’t see any features that match.

No info either, yet. And I haven't had time to poke around. Soon....
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Cally, after finding out about JR's fling with April, is stuck on a painting. Another scene at JMJ Ranch in Thousand Oaks, CA. Of course the building has been repainted, but no question about the location.

Untitled.pngJMJ Loc Callie.png
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
For sale, across the street from Swellen's last house.

5521 Deloache Ave
Dallas TX 75220
  • 5 beds
  • 7.5+ baths
  • 9,527 sq ft
  • 1.52 acres lot
$8,900,000

Across street from Swellen's last house - for sale.png
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
A location that has perplexed me for some time...

Here we see J.R. being wheeled out of Dallas Memorial. This version of the hospital doesn’t match the exterior we had seen until this point.

D50A39EF-EFFB-432D-92B9-ACB2F3A12568.jpeg
3A8A5B51-00AE-4B53-BDC3-1AF6CF7AC86E.jpeg

It didn’t match anything else because it was at a different filming location. This building is located at the corner of McEwen and Greenview in Farmers Branch. It still looks very similar today.

036C1E07-C17A-4ACD-A63F-5488BB1DCC5E.jpeg

Thanks to @Bill B. for helping to narrow down this spot!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
One more...

Pam stayed at Brooktree Hospital after she nearly jumped off of a building.
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 12.59.57 PM.png
Ursuline Academy of Dallas (4900 Walnut Hill Lane in Dallas) served as the filming location!

ec7f65804524981b48d59c1e6ff1a055476d2417.jpg
Thanks gain to @Bill B. for sharing the tip!
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Wow...I remember that as a location you had on your to-find list. Great find!!! Thanks!

That's Preston Hollow where many shots/scenes were taken. I'm surprised one of us didn't think of it or see it sooner.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Wow...I remember that as a location you had on your to-find list. Great find!!! Thanks!

That's Preston Hollow where many shots/scenes were taken. I'm surprised one of us didn't think of it or see it sooner.

Yes! Glad to have this one nailed down finally. Who would have guessed it was so close all along?

Nailed down a new location yesterday. When Peter and Sue Ellen go ice skating, the scene was filmed at the former Laurel Plaza Ice Capades Chalet in North Hollywood. It has since been demolished. The mall fell on hard times. Then the Northridge earthquake struck and the area never really recovered. The whole complex is being redeveloped now.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Watching s13e07. Bobby and Christopher having a talk at JMJ Ranch/Thousand Oaks, CA. I had no idea so many scenes were done there. I recently noted in this thread of Cally doing some painting at just about this very spot, with Miss Ellie talking to her. I knew these were not done on Southfork, just didn't know where before this thread.

Bobby Christopher JMJ.png
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Watching s13e07. Bobby and Christopher having a talk at JMJ Ranch/Thousand Oaks, CA. I had no idea so many scenes were done there. I recently noted in this thread of Cally doing some painting at just about this very spot, with Miss Ellie talking to her. I knew these were not done on Southfork, just didn't know where before this thread.

View attachment 18161
It shows up A LOT in the later years.

It is also very recognizable when they use it for Carter McKay’s ranch.

I’ve pinned a lot of instances in my map and I am not sure that I have them all.

058CD946-34F8-41F6-85B2-102FDA5DF9FB.jpeg
 

Jon Ewing Jr.

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I wish someone could do an sattelite shot of Southfork in conjunction with Rays first house, and his second house and where section 40 was. I have always tried to visualize this in my mind.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
I wish someone could do an sattelite shot of Southfork in conjunction with Rays first house, and his second house and where section 40 was. I have always tried to visualize this in my mind.

Section 40 references are purely fictitious. The original ranch was likely about 1 section, 1 sq mile, or 640 acres. A ranch having 40+ sections would encompass an area larger than 6 miles long by 6 miles wide (6mi x 6mi); that's big, but it is not the real Southfork. Hence Jock saying, on the prospect of losing S/F to Vaughn Leland's bank group, that you couldn't " build another Southfork in 6 lifetimes". Geographically, it's all TV in this subject.

Look in page 6 of this thread. You'll see a map of a lot of sites in the Dallas area, including S/F and Ray's large ranch that McKay bought. This ranch of Rays' is near Rockwall, TX, about 15 miles from S/F.

Ray's first house was on McCreary Rd, right behind Southfork. Using google maps, you'll find this.

SF & Rays house.png

Rays Home.png
The 2-story garage section with front entrance and double window is the addition made over the years. With that in mind, you can see the roofline of the original house on the left side of the pic.

You'll also see that the Southern Cross is not in San Angelo, TX which is maybe 350 miles from Dallas, but in the far-eastern Dallas suburb of Forney, TX.
 

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Anyone know where the park is in episode "Reunion"/part-1.. Season-2/Episode-1 ?....Valeen and Lucy are seen walking around this location just after leaving "The Hot Biscuit" in Dallas....[I'm guessing it's a park!]
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Anyone know where the park is in episode "Reunion"/part-1.. Season-2/Episode-1 ?....Valeen and Lucy are seen walking around this location just after leaving "The Hot Biscuit" in Dallas....[I'm guessing it's a park!]
Yeah...don't know yet. Just watched the scene and didn't find any clues...yet.

Val & Lucy s02e01.png
 
Top