Marilyn Monroe: The Early Days

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Let's liven this thread up a little, shall we?

I've always had a fondness for LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL, the 1951 B-movie comedy starring Claudette Colbert, Macdonald Carey, and Zachary Scott. It features newcomers Barbara Bates and Robert Wagner in smaller, supporting roles. Marilyn as a small role as Joyce, a gold-digger trying to get her claws into Zachary Scott's character, Victor Macfarland, one of the richest men in the country. Her performance is nothing extraordinary, but I've always enjoyed the film itself.

This is ironic because LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL is not a very good movie. Monroe's other two comedies that year -- LOVE NEST and AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL -- are far better movies. LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL was a box office dud in 1951 and it was shredded by critics. One reviewer called it the "worst comedy of the year".

Even so, I like it. I guess I have odd tastes.

1623683916648.png

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know that LMIL isn’t the most terrific movie but I enjoy it. I guess with Marilyn it really doesn’t matter how good the movie is to me. If she’s in it, I watch it. And there’s really not a whole lot of actresses I feel that way about. If the movie is a dud, at least I know Marilyn will entertain me.

By the way, I never knew this thread existed. And I just went back and read the rest of it. To me we can have 35 different threads on her and I’m fine with it.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know that LMIL isn’t the most terrific movie but I enjoy it. I guess with Marilyn it really doesn’t matter how good the movie is to me. If she’s in it, I watch it. And there’s really not a whole lot of actresses I feel that way about. If the movie is a dud, at least I know Marilyn will entertain me.

By the way, I never knew this thread existed. And I just went back and read the rest of it. To me we can have 35 different threads on her and I’m fine with it.
LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL is by no means stellar, but it's good on that 'Marilyn movie' basis. It's definitely not among the best of Claudette Colbert or Zachary Scott, or even Barbara Bates for that matter. They've all done better elsewhere. I've seen nothing else of Macdonald Carey and I've never cared for Robert Wagner really.

If you like Monroe-themed threads, I've got three more that you need to check out:
Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days
Marilyn Monroe: Highlight Edition
Marilyn Monroe and the Actors Studio

I created all four of these threads around the same time. I got into a big Marilyn kick there for a while and I created all of them in like the same week I think.​

Jessie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Baby Marilyn
Too cute but a sad start to her life.

Born Norma Jean Mortensen on June 1, 1926 to a mentally unstable mother and absent father, she spent her childhood in a series of foster homes and an orphanage. ... In 1933 her mother bought a house and took Marilyn to live with her, but shortly after she had the first of a series of mental crises.

1624599814079.jpeg

Age 10
1624599912104.jpeg

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Marilyn's childhood is infamously sad. She was a beautiful child, but her home life was a mess. Her mother, Gladys, suffered with a lot of mental issues and was occasionally in institutions. This left the young Marilyn living with relatives and foster parents. She once lived with Ike and Ida Boldender when she was pretty young. The Bolenders were conservative Christians, and often attended the Foursquare Gospel Church helmed by Pentecostal evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson. It was Doc and Grace Godard she lived with as a teenager that pushed her into marrying James Dougherty in 1942 just days after turning 16.

1624630604975.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I used to have this tin sign (about 11"x14" in size) hanging on my wall. I convinced it was a pre-fame Norma Jeane Doherty working as a model. I haven't any proof if it is or isn't her.

Anyone know?

1630590781511.png

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i've never cared much for her and i've always thought she was overrated to be honest. i do have somewhere around here and early film of her's though i have not watched yet to be honest (1950)'s The Fireball Mickey Rooney who is the star of that one claimed for years he's the one that discovered he and came up with the name but i have no idea if that's true to be honest.